Lunch Report for Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:41 am

Hello all!

There were really great comments yesterday. I do appreciate your participation.

Lunch today will probably be a 6” ham sandwich from Subway--double meat and lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, “lite” mayo, pepperoncini and salt and pepper. No cheese. Maybe even a bag of Lay’s Classic Chips.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Let talk bands today.

Who’s in a band? Describe the genre, and tell what the instrumentation is. Do you have a band or two in your sordid past—even if you don’t play in one now?

How did you meet your band-mates? How challenging has it been to find the right personnel or the right situation for you? How have you dealt with the ignorant, egomaniacal control freaks in the band? (Or was that you? LOL!)

Is your band a democracy, or do you have a benevolent dictator? Do you work as a sideman? Who picks the songs you play? Do you do any original music? How often do you practice, and what is the routine for learning new material?

Do you do a set list for each hour of the show, or do you just wing it?

How do you handle the business end…the money? Do you all split an equal share? Or does the guy who does the bookings, or the guy with the PA system take an extra percentage? Perhaps the guy who travels the farthest gets a little extra gas money? Do you have an agent? A manager? An accountant? Does each of you have your own lawyer?

Do you have a CD to sell at shows or use as an aid in booking the band? Are you selling your music through a website? Have you done any promotional things—pens, caps, t-shirts, etc. to promote your band? Do you have a promo kit with a band history, song list, and business card? Got an 8x10 glossy of the band taken against the ubiquitous brick wall? A website, or Facebook page?

Do you have a roadie, or friends that help move gear or provide a little extra security? Does your GF or wife help out? Or your kids?

If you are in a Praise and Worship band, how do the politics of the inner workings of your church affect your performances? How does the dynamic of a P&W band differ from a bar band?

If you’re not in a band, tell us why not? Do you have friends that you just jam with, or do you work on your skills to backing tracks? Perhaps you are a multi-instrumentalist recording your own songs?

Are there places in your area that do Open Mic nights or Jam Sessions? Ever thought about starting one?

Pick whichever questions you want; you don’t have to do them all, and tell us about your band experiences.

Oh, and here’s a link to an excellent article by John Bohlinger in Premier Guitar Magazine on being a good band mate.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/8 ... d_Bandmate

And a couple more on Jam Session etiquette.

http://www.guitarhow.com/50-jam-session ... uette.html

http://www.s-w-b-a.com/pickerscorner_docs/etiquette.htm

++++++++++++++++++++++++

I had a band in high school (Class of 1968) and one in college, but I spent most of my life as a solo act, with a drum machine. I did a short stint with a ‘50s show band in 1975, but the other member’s drug and alcohol abuse problems were affecting the music, and I left. I had a classic rock cover band in Seattle in the early ‘90s called Whirlwind (G/G/B/D) with some success, and that morphed into a G/B/D band for a while. When I moved to Oregon, I met a husband and wife duo, Don (Bass) and Sandy (Keys), and we hooked up to form a G/B/K/D band. Sometimes we do smaller gigs with a drum machine, rather than a live drummer, but I would much rather play with a good drummer. Sandy and I split the vocals. I like playing with them a lot; they are nice folks. They also play in their church’s P&W band.

We do a little bit of everything, from Classic Rock and Country to some Jazz and Ballads, and Bluegrass, and even a few of my original tunes; so we’re all over the place stylistically. I have taken as many as seven instruments to a gig, and that might go something like a Legacy, Legacy Special, Les Paul (or ES-335 or Ghostrider), Ibanez 5-string banjo, Taylor 710 CE acoustic, Takamine 12-string acoustic, and a DanElectro Innuendo 12-string. I’m usually the one putting the set list together, but sometimes that will go right out the window and we’ll just pick songs on the fly. We will play a request if we know the song. Since both Sandy and I have done solo acts, we’re pretty good about thinking three or four songs ahead, and we can keep things moving.

I’ve got a promo pack to help book the band, but we need a Facebook page and a CD. We usually split the money equally per person, but we live 90 miles apart; so who ever drives the farthest might get a little extra gas money. Or the contents of the tip jar. Miss Leslie helps us roadie, and sometimes she’ll get the tip jar. We use Don’s PA on gigs near them, and I use mine on this side of the mountains.

I do like to go to Jams and Open Mics, and there are several here in Portland. In fact I’m doing an Open Mic as a solo on Wednesday. I’ve never run one—the clubs don’t really pay anything, but I would try to start one if I needed to. I do like playing with other people and having the fuller sound, but there is also something to be said for doing a solo act and not having to deal with all of the BS that can come from Prima Donnas. At least if I’m playing solo, the only ego I have to put up with is mine. LOL!

One thing I will say—there is a huge difference in how I approach playing in a two-guitar band, versus a G/B/K/D band, and an even bigger difference in a G/B/D power trio or G/B/D/V situation. I’ve never liked being in a G/B/D trio; I’ve never felt my playing was good enough to carry that.

But EVERYTHING is different—from the gear I choose (amp, guitar, effects), the tones, what I play, the attitude—very different in this band compared to what I was doing in the G/B/D trio and the two-guitar band. And my guitar setups have noticeably changed with different bands, too. And it’s all very different from my days as a solo act, too.

Any thoughts on your approach to different band formats?

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yesterday, Anthony mentioned lusting for a Leo-era Interceptor. I would love to have an X-body Interceptor, but they are rare and command big bucks.

G&L seems to be doing well with the Jerry Cantrell signature Rampage and Superhawk. The Invader Series might be some of the most under-rated guitars on the planet, but I don’t think they sell very well. I liked the Climax version too.

With the Rampage and Superhawk getting rave reviews, do you think G&L should be developing a “pointy” guitar—a metal guitar to go after that segment of the market?

What style of body would you choose for a metal friendly chugging machine? Would you go traditional, like a Vee or Explorer clone; or would you have them do something really pointy like the offerings from Washburn, Dean, Minarik, or BC Rich?

Do you see an X-body reissue in the works?

What about a baritone? Would you have any interest in a seven or eight string version of the Invader? Or ASAT?

Happy Hump Day to you all!

Bill

Re: Lunch Report for Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:53 am

Boogie Bill wrote:
Who’s in a band?

I never have been in a band. I don't have any desire to be in a band.

Boogie Bill wrote:
With the Rampage and Superhawk getting rave reviews, do you think G&L should be developing a “pointy” guitar—a metal guitar to go after that segment of the market?

I'm thinking a mild pointy guitar would be the way to go.

Boogie Bill wrote: What style of body would you choose for a metal friendly chugging machine?

I'm a big fan of the third style Interceptor body which was also used on some early Camanche V & VI guitars. Here's a photo of my Interceptor that I'm restoring.

The Interceptor will be my project for this winter.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:46 am

I have been in several bands over 40 years with long abstentions. It's usually better to just play with different people as I get older. It's also fun to sit in for a song or two. Not to be critical, but I have seen several people on this site swear off being in a band. Why is that?

Funny you should mention the 3-piece band. The best bands I was ever a part of were G/B/D. I identify with your idea of your guitar being good enough to carry a 3-pc. I have always thought that either everyone had to be good or the bassman and drummer had to be really exceptional and in synch, which is a beautiful thing.

The best band I was ever in was 1974, my last year in high school, and the bassman and drummer were close brothers who went on to be very successful musicians. I have always just been a guitar player.

Any drug-addicted or drunkard artist seems to ultimately come to the conclusion that they were held back and wasted time and talent with it.

I saw Hendrix, Clapton and Jimmy Page in the '60's and '70's in their respective bands, all trashed, every one of them. They sucked in those particular performances, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:30 pm

Gee, Sprinter...I didn't know you had such a beautiful body!!!! You been working out? :happy0065:

Seriously, that is as sexy a guitar body as I have seen. Be sure to keep us posted on the restoration.

And I'm curious as the the WHYS, the reasons you don't want to play in a band.

Ldavaz, one thing I can say about myself is that I have always liked performing to an audience. Maybe it's a psychological flaw--a need to be liked--but I enjoy entertaining a crowd. I could be the crowned the "World's Greatest Guitarist", but it wouldn't really mean anything to me unless I was taking on the road.

Another point I would make is that to play live, in front of an audience, is the real test of your technique, poise, your gear and your tones. There are many amps out there that just won't cut it on a bandstand. Never wanted a Marshall amp until I played one live, onstage, with a band--and then the light went on. It just cut through and sat so perfectly in the mix. Other amps in that situation might sound washed out.

And it is physical work to do a 4-5 hour gig. Sometimes you have those complicated moves to get pedals turned on at the right time, etc. I've seen guys that could do in in practice, orr in their bedroom, but flub it horriblly in front of a crowd. Use those beautiful, spacious reverbs in your beroom, but take them onstage and the audience won't be able to hear you for the ambient noise.

But there is the issue of just getting along with people in a band. I've met a lot of passive-agressive musicans who could make life difficult for everyone around them--whether stoned or sober.

But I have had those moments at a jam when I have played with some really good people, and it all comes together, maybe for one song or perhaps an entire set--and something magical happens. I kinda look around and everybody is feeling the chemistry. WOW! Better than sex...well, almost.

And when I can do that and get that feeling on stage and the audience is feeling it too...hey...that's MY drug of choice!

Bill

Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:24 pm

Bill, you will be able to write a book with all the questions being answered this week!

Yes, I am in a band and a fine one at that. We are a team although I have been instrumental in developing our gigs and Steve and I have chosen a lot of the material we do, simply because we know what works for a cover band. We all get along well, share the booty and each of us does some booking. No agent and we also need a web page. I have cds but not of this particular group. We are recording starting in Sept and I do own a lot of the equipment. I own the Pa system and backup pa, we shared the cost of the lighting and we are a team. Our lead singer, Kelly, is awesome and is always being approached by other bands. She wants to work with us and we are happy for that. I also have the recording equipment and all involved with it. This is fun so I don't worry about much as long as it is working. The average longevity of bands is quite low and I have experienced that with other groups. Some want to develop further and others are happy to stay at the level they are at. It is never easy.

I like to have a backup bass and guitar when gigging. We always spend time on the sound check so it is pretty easy to fine tune after we start. I love to perform as does the rest of the group. It is good for the old dudes in the group as it keeps us young. Trust me!!!!

As for builds, I am going to have a Baritone, I just have to order the neck for it. I have too many things going. I stopped by AGB today and played 3 different McPhersons they had just received. If I were an acoustic guy, they would be the ticket. A recently reconed JBL D130F in beautiful condition followed me home. It is already in my Fender Vibrasonic getting tested! As I said, too many things going on. -- Darwin

Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:37 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:Gee, Sprinter...I didn't know you had such a beautiful body!!!! You been working out? :happy0065: Seriously, that is as sexy a guitar body as I have seen. Be sure to keep us posted on the restoration.

I'm going to cheat on the restoration. The center pickup is suppose to be a small MFD single coil. Since it has already been routed for a hum-bucker, I'm going to install a Superhawk neck pickup in that position. I need a headstock decal for it. That's going to be tough to find.

Boogie Bill wrote:And I'm curious as the the WHYS, the reasons you don't want to play in a band.

Too many other hobbies is the biggest reason. I'd rather go racing!

I've also started restoring and collecting Maytag, Multi-Motors. Currently I'm restoring a 1936 motor and I have one from 1929 that is running.