Wednesday Lunch Report

Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:54 am

No lunch reports this week so here goes. I am going out for lunch so I have been starving this morning.

I am going to open up a can of worms with the G&L content today. I have a beautiful, pristine, Transparent Blue S-500 that has a stunning birds eye neck except for the fact the neck has a satin finish. I prefer gloss poly by far as it is not sticky for me. The satin finish does not bring out the depth of the Birdseye. As I have documented, I am in the middle of restoring my Stingray 5 and what an opportunity to correct this perceived flaw in my S-500 neck. I have the neck prepped, sanded and frets polished for refinishing. Here are some photos. Many would think that this is a crime and devalue the guitar. I would bet not. I will post when it is completed.

Non G&L topic is somewhat health related. I was in for a stress test this week with excellent results. Many would question if I am health conscious but I have taken somewhat good care of this bod over the years. I stopped using a salt shaker years ago and stay quite active. I believe that our longevity has a lot to do genetics in our families. I do try to behave to the best of my ability. Obviously abuse of any type is detrimental to our health. What is the one thing that you do to save the bod from self self destruction? We who have good health are very lucky folks. Nuff said--Darwin

Re: Wednesday Lunch Report

Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:10 am

Good to see a LR...you da man !

I say gloss it up , neck finishes come and go :)

I've got a few getting some new coats, I'll take some pictures, we have a nice sunny day here .

I got a smoothie maker the other day, works well . I'm eager to explore fresh sauces as well as yummy cool drinks .

I add salt , but I make all my own food, so I'm not really subject to the barrage of flavor enhancers that
are present in packaged/restaurant foods. Seattle is getting more places that stay away from animal products.
I'll be getting out a bit more. :banana:
I was reading about the benefits of red cabbage, not hot on the taste cooked, but I think I'll be adding some raw to salads.
Maybe Kimchee, mmmm..

Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:05 am

Hi Darwin, Great Post!

I saw go for it with the neck, you'll love it just that much more, nice wood in that one.

I too had a stress test last friday, I passed, lol.

Genetics is the key but you can help along the way. My family has high blood pressure and heart attack and stroke on both sides. My brother was sedentary, smoked, never got his blood pressure in check and he had a triple bypass at age 56 and a massive stroke at age 59, his arteries are virtually blocked and its too late to do anything about it now.

I was always active, was a runner, basketball, hockey, worked out the best I can, didn't smoke and since age 40, have been on blood pressure pills and at my stress test, my bp was a perfect 120/80.

I'm 30 pounds overweight which is also genetic, but I work on it so that I don't balloon up.

My arteries are clear (they were checked) and so I try to eat healthy, don't always, try to reduce my booze and definitely stay active, like walking the golf course where the rest of the guys ride.

As far as the salt goes, I am bad with the shaker. My doctors say, its not the salt you put on at the table, its the salt that was put in the manufacture of the food. So I try to buy reduced salt stuff and add a shake or two at the table!

Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:30 pm

Hey Darwin, I know what you mean when a satin neck has a great grain. It would be nice to bring it out with a gloss finish but it is very easy ti do a bad job by those that don't take the time to do it right. I am sure that you will do it right and I look forward to your completed neck.
I also look forward to seeing that MusicMan five string bass when it is done.

Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:34 pm

The neck will look great with a gloss finish! Are you glossing the fretboard also?

Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:54 pm

Elwood, this working on guitars is a great, genuinely relaxing thing. Show us some more stuff when you get it done.

Alf, health is always something that becomes an issue as we age. I remember recently reading the issues that you had been dealing with and some time the cards are stacked against us. Looks like you are on top of it and keep it up!

Bill, you are right in that these things have to be done correctly. The preparation is critical but the rubber meets the road when you first spray the clearcoat. Anyone ever had fish eyes??? It is a painters nightmare but actually not that difficult to solve by the proper prep and clean compressed air. Best to prevent it up front.

Lefty, the whole neck including the fretboard will high gloss. It will be like glass after wet sanding and buffing. I use 1000 grit first, going to 1500 and then 2000. After 2000, you hit it with the buffer and you have a mirror. -- Thanks folks for you responses.--Darwin

Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:22 pm

I see what you mean on that neck - the back looks good, but the fret board doesn't 'pop'. It's your guitar, do what you want with it!

3 of my grandparents died in their mid 60s. I'm hoping to last a little longer than that, but at the same time I'd prefer to die before incurring any serious health problems. Seeing as salt shakers have been brought up, when I was a kid we NEVER had a salt shaker on the table (and still don't), and I'm always stunned when I see people add salt to their meal before even tasting it. I believe this is the reason I do not enjoy eating potato chips (unless they're salt and vinegar flavoured and in between two pieces of buttered bread) or other salty foods and feel terrible after eating them.

Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:00 pm

darwinohm wrote:Elwood, this working on guitars is a great, genuinely relaxing thing.

It is a great thing when you get in the 'zone'. Image

darwinohm wrote:Show us some more stuff when you get it done.

got some good pics...
they're coming... :elguitar054: I got distracted ~

Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:57 pm

Jamie, if we had this health thing figured out, we could get rich! You make me nervous about people dying in their 60's. I'm going to have a cold one and celebrate the fact I have made it this far!

Elwood, great pic. I like the pink pick. It could even be Shell Pink! -- Darwin

Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:36 pm

I can elaborate soon,
but here's a link to several pics I took today( busy atm ):

link

Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:10 pm

Wow, this is serious stuff, I can hardly wait to find out what we are looking at. This is a cool body.-- Darwin

Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:16 pm

darwinohm wrote:Wow, this is serious stuff, I can hardly wait to find out what we are looking at. This is a cool body.-- Darwin
aw... :oops: you made me smile !! (making dinner) thx Darwin

Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:57 am

darwinohm wrote:Transparent Blue S-500 that has a stunning birds eye neck except for the fact the neck has a satin finish. I prefer gloss poly by far as it is not sticky for me.

Hi Darwin,

The rockin' S-500 was designed to have that sticky Satin neck. It was to help when you swing the guitar over your head.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:26 pm

Meow, it has been years since I could do that! :evilgrin: -- Darwin

Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:41 pm

hey Darwin, beautiful neck . I'm sure you will know what will suit you best .
I agree Salt is something we don't need. Processed foods too .
I avoid drugs . That whole path is one of self destruction .
If only I could drink just a little bit less