Lunch report Mon 29/07/13 A Simple Twist Of Fate

Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:37 pm

Hello,

I'll say straight up I am really looking forward to this week with you all. I hope to get to know you all better and I'm sure you'll get to now me too. I am a creative person who spends a lot of time writing songs. I do have an addictive personality that I work hard to keep reined in . So what you will read this week is just going to be my creative imagination at work and some cold hard facts.

As I mentioned in my Lunch Report last week I am going through a divorce. A divorce where the children have been used as weapons , sadly. I have blown a lot of cash on Lawyers , $80,000 and I don't know where it will end.

Maybe because I am going through a divorce and you don't know who is watching. Maybe it's because I am obsessed with the Sopranos, I can't believe I have never watched it before. So the Guitars I will show you this week may be Leo F The Champions, some are mine . But most are Mr. Big's . Let's not ask any questions about him because someone will get hurt. And I don't want anyone to get hurt this week.

Even though I am going through an exceptionally hard time, my life is mostly good. Anytime it gets hard at least us guitar players can play something.
Like this, I love it's wild and sexy shape. From what I understand Leo didn't. It is surprisingly beautifully balanced either standing or sitting. Just a beautifully resonant piece of maple . Incredibly finished, thanks Fred. I believe you were still at G&L in 1984.
I really should thank JB for all the hard work and dedication in putting this Parts guitar together.
Thanks also to Josey Wales.
This one is named Suzie in honour of my wild model friend.
The Bass is named Fire, named by a previous owner.

And it's got a great story as my friend explains so well.

The body was sitting along with a pile of bodies in the paint shop and it was already finished. Why it was there, I don't know...but it was there deep into the 90's. During a plant tour/visit, a friend of mine saw it and asked if it was available for sale. He ended up leaving the factory with it. Another friend of mine was deep into search mode for an X-Body but couldn't find one and even worse, if he did find one, he probably couldn't have afforded it. The guy who brought it back from the factory after a while decided he didn't need it and put it up for sale. Nobody showed interest, save for my buddy who jumped all over it. After he got the body he started seeking out the rest of the pieces and parts to make the guitar. He contacted BBE directly to see if they had a spare neck laying around. Of course, they did not but they did have a last generation Interceptor neck sitting in inventory so they sold him that neck which he paired with the body. The rest of the parts he hunted down except for the control plate...which was hand cobbled.

I have had it set up by one of Australia's best luthiers. It was a little tricky because the neck and body were not meant for each other but it now plays like a dream.

And it's life partner........

So are there any other G&L Partscasters around?

After all that my lunch was boring, Tuna and cheese sandwich.

I promise not to talk to much about divorce, woman and legal mumbo jumbo this week. But

Life is certainly unpredictable. I did get very lucky after I left my wife. In fact just 2 months later I met a model , a beautiful smart woman and single, That is when the first alarm bell went off . How can it be that someone so beautiful lives alone. Fortunately the risk taker in me didn't care , I decided best to not think with my brain and leapt into a relationship with a hard to handle woman. It was not the smartest thing to do at the end of a 15 year marriage but it was just what I needed. We are still friends and very close. She also lives just 3 houses away.

You see I had come out of a marriage that had become loveless and very lonely. All of a sudden I was with a woman who gave me intimacy . But the honeymoon phase always ends. I have managed the fallout from saying goodbye to 2 woman at the same time. One who I didn't want to but I knew that I had to. And also a sad goodbye to my wife.
Somehow I was meant to meet Suzie and she changed my life by doing so. As the Dylan songs so brilliantly states "A simple twist of fate".

So what twist of fate changed your life?

Thanks for reading.
Your G&L friend
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Lunch report Mon 29/07/13 A Simple Twist Of Fate

Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:12 am

No G&L partcaster here, mostly because I'm not that good at manual labor :mrgreen:

The twist of fate that changed my life happened just 5 months ago when I had an infarctus at the age of 37 only, mostly for heredity reason. Actually I must say my life is slightly better, I'm a little more conscious and healthy, eventually it's a blessing in disguise. Though the risk of recurrence is of 40% 'till next year.

I'm sorry for your sad divorce, being a child that has been used as weapon in my parents' divorce, I hope I'm not gonna do the same to my children (knock on wood)
Last edited by supereiv on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:18 am

Well, those are certainly two unique guitars. The bass would be cool to have. No G&L partscasters here, ( I can't fathom why anyone would part one out on purpose ). Lunch today will be a couple pieces of fruit most likely. Divorce..... well I hope you get to a good place after its done. A simple twist of fate ? A few years ago driving to work on the upper levels highway a small two wheeled trailer unhitched from the back of a vehicle coming in the other direction. I was driving a small hatchback going approx 120 kms an hour. The unhitched trailer was probably traveling at about the same speed and I could see it coming. There is a median dividing the highway and the trailer hit it and its momentum almost but not quite carried it over the median at the exact moment my car car was on the other side. So I figure an inch or two higher and that trailer flys into my windshield . Thank you median ! So just dumb luck really. I don't believe in " fate "

Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:33 am

Thanks Supereiv and Glvourot,
Well you have put a divorce in perspective. Seriously I am just talking about relationships and money, nothing really that important. You have both talked about death or coming close to it.
I am really , really happy you both pulled through.
Stay positive over the next year Supereiv with your health. And I'm sure you will have learnt from your experience as a little one
when you become a Dad.
I still believe in fate, but maybe it's just my positive nature.

Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:47 am

I'm already a father of a 4 yo girl, actually, the second child is expected to land at the end of september :D

Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:50 am

I'm playing in a rotary golf tourney today so lunch and dinner will be at the golf club, :^))

I don't have a G&L partscaster, I do have a tele partscaster that I changed the body and a number of the bits. It was fun to do and a good experiment to see if I wanted to build a guitar from scratch. It taught me that the answer is NO.

Before,

After

I'm sorry to hear about your divorce, but I believe people change and it should work out for the best. I hope it does for you.

I have been married for 33 years and we've had our rough times, but knock on wood, we were able to work them out. I can see how it could go the other way and I've seen my fair share of divorces where it gets ugly. All the best to you.

As far as my life changing event, it was in 2004. I was a Vice President at a large internet company, working 100 hour weeks, travelling 150,000 miles a year, fat, outta shape, stressed beyond belief. There is heart attack and stroke in both sides of the family, my dad having his first heart attack at age 40. I was at a conference in mexico and woke up at 4 am and had to get to my PC. It was like a dream and on my PC was a note from my brother to call him urgently, my father had fallen over, dead.....At the funeral, I realized that my mom was in worse shape than my dad had been, so I quit my job, retired at 47 to take care of myself and my mom. I don't regret it one bit. She lasted 2 years.

Since then, I am healthier, happier. My older brother has had a massive stroke 2 years ago and its painful to watch him lay on the couch all day, unable to move......

I did go back to work last year as a consultant, 30-40 hour weeks and now I'm doing it my way. I think I've found the balance between work and retirement. So far, my heart is strong and I have not had any of the major issues that my family has had, but here's knocking on wood.

Live your life the best you can, its short!

Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:09 am

No G&L partscaster for me either, but i have a few plans involving MFD's and some other guitars that i have kicking around.... Someday!

I'm 37 and my wife and i have been together for 20 years now... We have a 6yr old and 4 yr old. I really do feel for you. At the end of the day you need to do what is best for you - which it sounds like you are certainly trying to do! It drives me mad when i hear of kids being used as bargaining chips in divorce. I know it happens all the time, but it still sucks.

I do also believe in Fate... Maybe my hopelessly optimistic nature as well! There are quite a few things that have happened (too long to rant about here!) that have changed my life for the better. And i am thankful for them everyday.

Here's to a great week!

Scott

Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:47 am

No partscasters here (although I did help a boyfriend about 25 years ago, make a guitar [he cut the body with a bandsaw, and used the neck and hardware from a Kramer Striker]).

Life changing events? - nah not much here (guess I'm kind of boring :mrgreen:), other than maybe having to deal with Cluster Headaches for the past 14 years, and asthma for the past 10 years (although in retrospect, I've probably had it since I was a teenager - it just wasn't diagnosed until 2003).

The Asthma curtailed my running (forcing me to change my exercise routine). The Cluster Headaches - I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemies. They're worse than migraines painwise (nothing like an extreme heachache attack that makes you scream, cry like a baby, and slam your head into a wall). The meds help a bit, but due to the fact that cluster headaches are so rare (maybe .03% of the population ever gets them), there are no tailormade meds for them (it costs millions to develope meds, and the cost would probably never be recovered), so what meds there are, don't work all of the time. Luckily I only get them for certain stretches of time, and not daily, and the meds I do take, eventually do stop the headaces from occurring (till the next time they return). So, I just keep on keeping on.

Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:00 pm

LTC, I had a nice sandwich for lunch.

I do not have any G&L partscasters. I do have a Fender and it is a wonderful guitar, exactly what I wanted. I think you have some cool partscaster G&L's. They will always be a bit unusual as there are not many parts available, and very few aftermarket parts available for G&Ls. It is unusual to be able to find the parts to build a complete American G&L.

I think that we have all had life changing experiences at one time or another. Some we have chosen and others are forced on us such as health issues/problems. Those that are forced onus are sometimes the best in the end. My being laid off at age 59 was perfect example. I was much happier making less income but doing it my way. Stress is a killer that many people discover way after the fact. As for the divorce, think of the kids, move forward and don't look back. You will come out and life will continue in many good ways. I was in the doctors office today and picked up a National Geographic from 1973 to read. What a refreshing read. Forty years later we live in a significantly changed world. Nothing lasts forever.-- Darwin

Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:15 pm

darwinohm wrote:LTC, I had a nice sandwich for lunch.

I do not have any G&L partscasters. I do have a Fender and it is a wonderful guitar, exactly what I wanted. I think you have some cool partscaster G&L's. They will always be a bit unusual as there are not many parts available, and very few aftermarket parts available for G&Ls. It is unusual to be able to find the parts to build a complete American G&L.

I think that we have all had life changing experiences at one time or another. Some we have chosen and others are forced on us such as health issues/problems. Those that are forced onus are sometimes the best in the end. My being laid off at age 59 was perfect example. I was much happier making less income but doing it my way. Stress is a killer that many people discover way after the fact. As for the divorce, think of the kids, move forward and don't look back. You will come out and life will continue in many good ways. I was in the doctors office today and picked up a National Geographic from 1973 to read. What a refreshing read. Forty years later we live in a significantly changed world. Nothing lasts forever.-- Darwin

stress is a killer, but stress is a choice. it comes from within. a job, a partner, money can not stress you out. stress is an internal reaction to external stimulus. that response can be controlled even if the external factors can not be. stress is unnecessary, it doesn't help. but a lot of people don't realize it because we have been conditioned to see stress as something that is caused by external sources.

Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:24 pm

LTC,

Your Interceptor Bass is gorgeous. Photos like yours make me wonder what kind of grain is under the solid finishes on my older maple bodied G&Ls. I'm happy with the faded, creamy white on mine though (photo by previous owner):

This is hands-down the most comfortable bass I've ever played. It feels like the body's not even there. My El Toro comes close, but the ash body is a bit heavier than the Interceptor's maple and the contours don't line up in the exact same places.

My one partscaster is a bass I cobbled together back in high school from a couple of trashed-out instruments:

It started as a mid-70s Jazz that had spent some time on the beach. The original red paint had faded to pink, a crack had opened on the seam along the top, the control cavity was packed with sand, and the neck was unplayable above the 12th fret (somebody had planed the original maple board and glued rosewood furniture veneer over it). The pickups are a DiMarzio Jazz Bass set from the late 70s, which were being thrown away by a local shop, and the neck is all that's left of a '69 Precision. The neck came to me with the frets pulled, so I refretted it as well as I could at that point. I don't want to change anything about this bass after 25+ years, but on the other hand I think I could appreciate it as a fretless now. Maybe it will become a project again...

Ken

Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:27 pm

LeoF,
I was there through the end of '85. This Interceptor was done by either me or Wayne. I have to admit even though this model is finally growing on me, I was never a fan of the first X body style. The bass has better proportion. The first X body style was too clunky for me. These look like fine specimens, it's great to see them survive after all these years. Sorry to hear about the divorce, for what it's worth, the second time around has been much better for me. Leo was not a fan of this body, some time I need to recount the reaction Leo had to the Steinberger bass.
Fred

Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:00 pm

Fred Finisher wrote:LeoF,
I was there through the end of '85. This Interceptor was done by either me or Wayne. I have to admit even though this model is finally growing on me, I was never a fan of the first X body style. The bass has better proportion. The first X body style was too clunky for me. These look like fine specimens, it's great to see them survive after all these years. Sorry to hear about the divorce, for what it's worth, the second time around has been much better for me. Leo was not a fan of this body, some time I need to recount the reaction Leo had to the Steinberger bass.
Fred

You might signup for one of the open Weekly Lunch Reports, so we can hear more of your Leo stories. Hint, hint ;)

:ugeek:

Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:03 pm

Hey Alf , you are right people change but you have to keep living your own life. Sounds like you have made some great decisions in your life. I guess being smart helps. Great job on the tele.
Scott , projects can wait mate. you have your hands full with all the family and your guitar lessons. Have fun
Ellen , good luck with your health . Happy to hear your exercising.
Tim , Took a bit of work to get the neck to fit really well on the body but it plays as good as anything now. I have a great image of a pallet of rare G&L's shrink wrapped , thanks.
Darwin , I always like what you say , always to energetic, supportive and positive. Are you sure you aren't really 30?
Louis , I agree stress is a choice. Thanks for the reminder about worrying about what I can control.
Hey Ken , Yeah flamey maple is so good to look at . I agree The Interceptor is so easy to play , It played great having travelled across the World too No need for a set up. I'm happy mine doesn't have a Kahler though .
Fred , that's awesome you might have finished it . I am glad marriage worked out for you the 2nd time . I hope to not make the same mistakes.Thanks for checking in .

Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:33 am

Wow,
Helluva parts guitar !!

KenC wrote:I'm happy with the faded, creamy white on mine though (photo by previous owner)

...and here's a pic of the same, owned even previously-er :

The L-5000 needed to get on this pointy headstock thread :

LeoF The Champion wrote:So are there any other G&L Partscasters around?

I've a few, here's some...not all ;

Here's an '82 L-1000 bod with a mid 90's SB-2 neck , (sorry about the funky pic) :

An early F-100 body,neck,and bridge I bought (hashed, but beautiful), with 4 small mfd's , a lefty control plate that's upside down, the circuit is a work in progress with lots of options including all 4 mfd's in series.
I've since got some of the sticker residue off, brought back some gloss to the nitro and am working on some artsy p'up surrounds.
I used the graphtech ghost saddles becuase it was the set I had I could easily (relatively) file the sides to get the spacing right .The early F-100 saddles are skinnier than the mid 80's and beyond.

This an '82 hog S-500 body with SC-3 mfd's ,skyhawk control plate ,and a prototype bridge and matching neck :

ellengtrgrl wrote:No partscasters here (although I did help a boyfriend about 25 years ago, make a guitar [he cut the body with a bandsaw, and used the neck and hardware from a Kramer Striker]).

Here's what's left of my Striker ...LOL...it's been through many incarnations . The door knocker bridge gives an awesome sitar
sound...I need to put in a tone pot. it has a harmony maple neck that plays real nice. It even intonates well with 9-42's .

Fred Finisher wrote: ..."some time I need to recount the reaction Leo had to the Steinberger bass."
Fred

Do tell Fred, though I think we can make an educated guess ( remember the site is PG13 ) :) .

Real nice to have you doing the LR's Anthony....looking forward to more !!
elwood

Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:29 am

Hey El,
Thanks and happy to see your parts guitars.

I can tell you Stealthy is also a Parts guitar too, in my humble opinion one of the coolest on the planet.

Its a parts guitar made from leftover parts that could have become the Dale Hyatt retirement guitar. When Dale announced his retirement a few of the employees got together to make him a departing gift. It's an Ash body with laminated portions of Ebony , for no other reason but to look cool. In the early days Dale wanted Ebony on G&L's finger boards because it was luxurious compared to rosewood and would separate G&L from the competition. He also wanted maple because it was synonymous with Fender.
For Dale's retirement gift they came up with the idea to add lots of Dales guitar ideas to it. Such as the Broadcaster/ASAT top horn, the sharp lower horn and bevel from the Interceptor The matching burst headstock, humbucker pick ups. Apparently Leo hated the Schaller humbuckers but Dale said the Super Strat players wanted humbuckers and he was right. As I am writing this I realise that Dale Hyatt was a real genius and must have been hugely important to the early G&L company.

From what I understand whenever a custom guitar was made they made a few extra parts just in case something went wrong. Other times when they made different versions of custom guitars to see how a concept would work. And you my friend have the leftover parts for the Dale Hyatt retirement guitar . A very, very cool part of G&L history.
See ya.

Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:44 am

LeoF The Champion wrote:Hey El,
Thanks and happy to see your parts guitars.

I can tell you Stealthy is also a Parts guitar too, in my humble opinion one of the coolest on the planet.

Its a parts guitar made from leftover parts that could have become the Dale Hyatt retirement guitar. When Dale announced his retirement a few of the employees got together to make him a departing gift. It's an Ash body with laminated portions of Ebony , for no other reason but to look cool. In the early days Dale wanted Ebony on G&L's finger boards because it was luxurious compared to rosewood and would separate G&L from the competition. He also wanted maple because it was synonymous with Fender.
For Dale's retirement gift they came up with the idea to add lots of Dales guitar ideas to it. Such as the Broadcaster/ASAT top horn, the sharp lower horn and bevel from the Interceptor The matching burst headstock, humbucker pick ups. Apparently Leo hated the Schaller humbuckers but Dale said the Super Strat players wanted humbuckers and he was right. As I am writing this I realise that Dale Hyatt was a real genius and must have been hugely important to the early G&L company.

From what I understand whenever a custom guitar was made they made a few extra parts just in case something went wrong. Other times when they made different versions of custom guitars to see how a concept would work. And you my friend have the leftover parts for the Dale Hyatt retirement guitar . A very, very cool part of G&L history.
See ya.

I'll put this info in my archives. Thank you !!
with the help of Dr. Zakin, we had Dale check the log books to see what was recorded per the serial . There were some discrepancies between his log book and the info I received with the guitar . This info might help make things a little clearer.

It also explains maybe why the chosen pickups spacing isn't perfect out for this build . It looks like Dale's might have a different pickup at the bridge ( or at least shinier polepieces ) , hard to tell in this picture;

I'm going to be building an all NW maple tele/ASAT ax out of a nice figured slab I have. I'll use Dale's old 50's strap for mojo factor when I finally have the straplocks and strings on her. Bi-cut or slice the fretboard off the top and reglue is the question.

You make my insomnia fun !! thanks Mr Big :)