OPEN MIC - July 23

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:28 am

Hey!

Just decided to do another real fast in appreciation of my free pedal.

Lunch - Cafeteria chicken strips, mashed potatoes, and broccoli.

G&L Topic - headstock. I love this headstock. Why have I seen that its bad? Do you guys even care? Ill admit I care but I think it's just like their rep, classy and more for your money!

Non-G&L Topic - do you care about PEDs in baseball? Do you care about sports? Do you care about those things in your sport?

Seeya!
Pat

Re: OPEN MIC - July 23

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:35 am

Oh shoot-- my opinion on non-G&L -- I don't care anymore. That's what is sad. I think it's all pretty much ran its course and I just don't care anymore. I get excited when my teams make runs, especially NCAA basketball but.. there again it's so stupid concerning jumping to the NBA and benefits and on and on...

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:56 am

I like the G & L head stock , makes it easier to identify , Pallidia just had Twisted Sister on from 2011 and the bass player was playing a G & L and had another one on the stand next to the drummer

Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:09 pm

i never liked the headstock, but i have grown to tolerate it. i lovve sports, but i hate the fuss about peds. who cares. pay them millions and think they will not do anything for an edge. trying to do doping control is as futile as the war on drugs. just legalize it. 80%+ of pro athletes are still on peds, only the idiots get caught. same in the olympics.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:06 pm

Thanks for stepping in . I think the 2nd design headstock is pure genius. To me it is every bit as good as the classic Strat headstock and that is a thing of beauty. The G & L reminds me of a wave such is its beauty too. I love sports and I think Louis is 100% correct with his views on sport and doping .
Anthony

Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:09 pm

Pat, I had a black forest ham on swirl pumpernickle bread with chips. Very tasty.

I first thought the headstock was a bit weird but it has grown on me and I actually like it quite a bit. I was used to the Fender look. I always thought the Fender Tele headstock was class.

I don't follow sports but if a person can't get the job done without doping, it says a lot about our sports today.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:04 pm

darwinohm wrote:Pat, I had a black forest ham on swirl pumpernickle bread with chips. Very tasty.

I first thought the headstock was a bit weird but it has grown on me and I actually like it quite a bit. I was used to the Fender look. I always thought the Fender Tele headstock was class.

I don't follow sports but if a person can't get the job done without doping, it says a lot about our sports today.

it's not about not getting the job done, it is about getting it done better. having a stronger body, one that doesn't break down as much, and about being able to recover faster. it is about leveling the playing field. most of the are using it. they have for a long time. they used them as far back as the 50's and 60's. btw, if performance enhancing is the issue, why do we allow weight training, use of computers, analyzing equipment etc? the use of radio in football, or in cycling. those enhance performance every bit as much or more, and are more unnatural than ped's.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:38 pm

Lunch today was a banana and a nectarine with a couple of cups of water.

The G&L headstock has grown on me and is not an issue for me anymore.

Louis brought up some good points regarding the performance enhancing aspects excluding doping, I had never thought of it that way. I enjoy sports but think its crazy the amounts of money the pros make these days. Ah the world we live in..... I guess if somebody drove a dump truck full of cash up to my front door it would be hard to turn down. Ah well, I digress....

Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:11 pm

Lunch for me was quick and dirty - one of the nukable (in 90 seconds) flavored rice pouches.

The present G&L headstock - I wasn't wild about it at first, but it's fine with me nowadays.

Athletes and performance enhancing substances - no thanks. I'm an ex-athlete (a competition swimmer through high school, and a competition runner until my asthma get the best of me over 10 years ago). I've always been a fan of "do the best you can", but so many of the "elite athletes" (you know them - the ones who live for running, biking, football, etc., and as a result, are such one-trick ponies, that they're not much good for anything else, due to their lives being consumed by their sport of choice) have this "my life is over if I don't win" mentality. As a result, they feel driven to risk wrecking their bodies (and don't kid yourself, many if not most of them pay a price bigtime down the road for their heavy use of performance enhancing substances [just ask Mr. Armstrong, what probably caused his testicular cancer]), because they "have to win at all costs." Yippee Skippy, and I'm sure that trophy, medal, Super Bowl ring, etc., is really going to make it all worthwhile when the health problems really kick in when you're in your 50s or 60s. Just because supposedly everybody and his or her dog does it, doesn't mean it's right, or cool to do it for that matter. I find it disheartening. It seems to say that cheating is fine, since everybody else does it. I guess it means that integrity is trivial and meaningless.

As I said earlier - no thanks. I have enough health issues (I have asthma, and I suffer [since 1999] from literally one of the worst forms of headache you can have - cluster headaches [they're considered worse than migraines]). Considering the occurrence of cancer on both sides of my family, the last thing I need to do, is to join the all cancer team, courtesy of performance enhancing substances.

End of soapbox sermon.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:54 pm

ellengtrgrl wrote:Lunch for me was quick and dirty - one of the nukable (in 90 seconds) flavored rice pouches.

The present G&L headstock - I wasn't wild about it at first, but it's fine with me nowadays.

Athletes and performance enhancing substances - no thanks. I'm an ex-athlete (a competition swimmer through high school, and a competition runner until my asthma get the best of me over 10 years ago). I've always been a fan of "do the best you can", but so many of the "elite athletes" (you know them - the ones who live for running, biking, football, etc., and as a result, are such one-trick ponies, that they're not much good for anything else, due to their lives being consumed by their sport of choice) have this "my life is over if I don't win" mentality. As a result, they feel driven to risk wrecking their bodies (and don't kid yourself, many if not most of them pay a price bigtime down the road for their heavy use of performance enhancing substances [just ask Mr. Armstrong, what probably caused his testicular cancer]), because they "have to win at all costs." Yippee Skippy, and I'm sure that trophy, medal, Super Bowl ring, etc., is really going to make it all worthwhile when the health problems really kick in when you're in your 50s or 60s. Just because supposedly everybody and his or her dog does it, doesn't mean it's right, or cool to do it for that matter. I find it disheartening. It seems to say that cheating is fine, since everybody else does it. I guess it means that integrity is trivial and meaningless.

As I said earlier - no thanks. I have enough health issues (I have asthma, and I suffer [since 1999] from literally one of the worst forms of headache you can have - cluster headaches [they're considered worse than migraines]). Considering the occurrence of cancer on both sides of my family, the last thing I need to do, is to join the all cancer team, courtesy of performance enhancing substances.

End of soapbox sermon.

your ignorance on peds is disturbing. you have been taking steroids for quite a while i am sure, as almost all women do. most asthma patients do too. if you are gonna talk about the subject, please at least a tiny bit of education about it would help. the most dangerous part is that they try to withhold information and availability, so a lot of people turn to underground and black market sources. instead of telling the truth and educate people, (including teenagers) about the actual dangers and side effects, they try to lie, deceive,, misinform, and limit access to proper information. just like with recreational drugs, prohibition does not work. legalization combined with education does. there is such a thing a safe use (trying to hide such information will only lead to unsafe use, not stoppage of use), but unfortunately even most doctors are uneducated on the subject. they are also told to lie [i have seen doctor's instructions: "......,(truth)....., however this information should not be disclosed to athletes, instead they should be told......(lies)...."].

you can try telling those athletes they are throwing tens of millions after "stay poor, but you'll have your integrity". see how well it works. doping is also systemic and government run in a lot of countries. china in swimming (look at london, when the chinese girl was beating lochte's split the last hundred of the 400im, she was told to slow down in her next event) , jamaica in track, germany in both swimming and track, bulgaria, turkey in wrestling and weightlifting. it was so in most of the eastern block. still happening, but more privatized, less government backing. in case you're wondering, i have consulted up to and including olympic teams on the subject. also worked with professional athletes.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:20 pm

I seriously doubt Lance Armstrong's testicular cancer had anything to do with any PEDs. In fact, steroids are commonly used in cancer treatment.

I don't have any answers to the controversy, other than we should perhaps pay pro athletes what we pay teachers...and pay our teachers what the athletes make. (Like that is ever gonna happen!) :happy0007:

I like the G&L headstock, but I know a lot of people who don't like the little bump...often referred to as the 'tit'....and won't buy a guitar because of it. How silly is that?

Bill

Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:23 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:we should perhaps pay pro athletes what we pay teachers...and pay our teachers what the athletes make. (Like that is ever gonna happen!) :happy0007:

Yeah, what a great idea it would be !

Boogie Bill wrote:....and won't buy a guitar because of it. How silly is that?

Bill

I don't know why, but it's really sad to realize that people who buy musical instruments are fashion victims too !

I love G&L headstock, and I LOVE seeing people bend over to see what the hell is that guitar after hearing it for a while :lol:

Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:09 pm

louis cyfer wrote:
ellengtrgrl wrote:Lunch for me was quick and dirty - one of the nukable (in 90 seconds) flavored rice pouches.

End of soapbox sermon.

your ignorance on peds is disturbing. you have been taking steroids for quite a while i am sure, as almost all women do. most asthma patients do too. if you are gonna talk about the subject, please at least a tiny bit of education about it would help. the most dangerous part is that they try to withhold information and availability, so a lot of people turn to underground and black market sources. instead of telling the truth and educate people, (including teenagers) about the actual dangers and side effects, they try to lie, deceive,, misinform, and limit access to proper information. just like with recreational drugs, prohibition does not work. legalization combined with education does. there is such a thing a safe use (trying to hide such information will only lead to unsafe use, not stoppage of use), but unfortunately even most doctors are uneducated on the subject. they are also told to lie [i have seen doctor's instructions: "......,(truth)....., however this information should not be disclosed to athletes, instead they should be told......(lies)...."].

you can try telling those athletes they are throwing tens of millions after "stay poor, but you'll have your integrity". see how well it works. doping is also systemic and government run in a lot of countries. china in swimming (look at london, when the chinese girl was beating lochte's split the last hundred of the 400im, she was told to slow down in her next event) , jamaica in track, germany in both swimming and track, bulgaria, turkey in wrestling and weightlifting. it was so in most of the eastern block. still happening, but more privatized, less government backing. in case you're wondering, i have consulted up to and including olympic teams on the subject. also worked with professional athletes.

Yeah, I guess I'm kind of "retarded". By steroids, I mean the anabolic type. The only 'roids I ever took, were prednisone to deal with a massive asthma attack and cluster headaches, and the glucosteriods that are in the Advair I take daily for my asthma. And yes, I've known for a very long time, that many governments in the past and even the present pushed their athletes to use..

You know as well as I do, that many forms of blood doping, and many PES cannot be traced (such as HGH).

Oh well, I guess I'm kind of stupid, since I believe that after a certain point, winning at all costs for money, and prestige (personal, or national), seems like an empty pursuit. But ya know, everydoes it, so what's wrong with it? I guess my moral compass is "all wrong." Silly me.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:02 pm

ellengtrgrl wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:

End of soapbox sermon.

Yeah, I guess I'm kind of "retarded". By steroids, I mean the anabolic type. The only 'roids I ever took, were prednisone to deal with a massive asthma attack and cluster headaches, and the glucosteriods that are in the Advair I take daily for my asthma. And yes, I've known for a very long time, that many governments in the past and even the present pushed their athletes to use..

You know as well as I do, that many forms of blood doping, and many PES cannot be traced (such as HGH).

Oh well, I guess I'm kind of stupid, since I believe that after a certain point, winning at all costs for money, and prestige (personal, or national), seems like an empty pursuit. But ya know, everydoes it, so what's wrong with it? I guess my moral compass is "all wrong." Silly me.

have you taken birth control? any form of estrogen therapy? the reason you think that ped's are so dangerous is that you have been misinformed. hgh is everywhere. they call it anti aging. that's all anti aging clinics do, give hgh. it is one of the safest things out there. you see all the advertising for drugs to treat "low t". most men will end up taking them to extend their life, improve their health and ward off prostate cancer.

the issue is not whether you would do it, it's whether athletes, who are given incredible incentives to do them, will do it. it's a choice. same as recreational drugs. legalizing them doesn't mean that you have to take them. it would just mean they would be a lot safer. the people that are gonna take it will take it, the people who don't want to take them will not. my point is that the fight is futile, so allow it, but educate about them, so people can make an informed choice, which currently is almost impossible. it's not winning at all cost, it's about earning a lot of money. declaring them unethical will not stop people from using them, nor does prohibition. you bought into the lies about the dangers. i have been asked several times to talk about hgh on tv programs, but the producers never wanted the truth, only fear mongering. they told me that they have their "angle", they are interested in pushing the agenda, they are not interested in the actual truth. these were "investigative journalists". whatever that means nowadays.

btw prednisone and corticosteroids (glucocortecoid) are the same thing.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:06 pm

I had estrogen therapy when I went menopausal last year (yeah I'm an almost 50 year old granny guitar player :mrgreen: ). That was it.

Louis, I disagree with your viewpoint on the whole issue. Yes, not 100% of PES are harmful, but a fair amount if it is - especially when used by atheletes at dasoage levels that are beyond what are considered theraputic for the substances. For example, excessive amounts of HGH, can cause an artificially induced form of acromegaly (whereby the bones get thicker, due excessive HGH, and the fact that since the bone plates are closed, they can't grow longer). Acromegaly can kill you, due to the cranium thickening/growing inward enough, to press against the brain. But, HGH, also builds muscle, so high level athetes that want to build strength do the stuff - and some have died because of it.

Like the drug abuser, you can say that if the performance enhancing substance abuser is harmed by the stuff, "too bad, so sad. He or she screwed up." Yep, I'm a huge fan of personal responsibility, but what happens when the PES abuser (or junkie for that matter), is not able to help/take care of themself, due to their little screw up wrecking their health, or hurts somebody else, due to their screw up? Society (not the person who screwed up), ends up having to pay the price to clean up/fix their mistake. Common decency says that somebody has to step in and straighten things out in these situations. These situations do happen.

I think we should just agree to disagree with each other Louis. We're not going to change each others veiwpoints on the subject. :)

Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:31 pm

ellengtrgrl wrote:I had estrogen therapy when I went menopausal last year (yeah I'm an almost 50 year old granny guitar player :mrgreen: ). That was it.

Louis, I disagree with your viewpoint on the whole issue. Yes, not 100% of PES are harmful, but a fair amount if it is - especially when used by atheletes at dasoage levels that are beyond what are considered theraputic for the substances. For example, excessive amounts of HGH, can cause an artificially induced form of acromegaly (whereby the bones get thicker, due excessive HGH, and the fact that since the bone plates are closed, they can't grow longer). Acromegaly can kill you, due to the cranium thickening/growing inward enough, to press against the brain. But, HGH, also builds muscle, so high level athetes that want to build strength do the stuff - and some have died because of it.

Like the drug abuser, you can say that if the performance enhancing substance abuser is harmed by the stuff, "too bad, so sad. He or she screwed up." Yep, I'm a huge fan of personal responsibility, but what happens when the PES abuser (or junkie for that matter), is not able to help/take care of themself, due to their little screw up wrecking their health, or hurts somebody else, due to their screw up? Society (not the person who screwed up), ends up having to pay the price to clean up/fix their mistake. Common decency says that somebody has to step in and straighten things out in these situations. These situations do happen.

I think we should just agree to disagree with each other Louis. We're not going to change each others veiwpoints on the subject. :)

hgh does not build muscle. it does a lot of things, muscle building not one of them. it also does not cause acromegaly after the growth plates have closed. both of these are common misconceptions that have been promoted widely. with your line of thinking, everything should be banned, including alcohol, cigarettes, motorcycles, cars, shoot, forks and knives can hurt people, and society has to take care of them. stepping outside the house carries risk. where do you draw the line?

estrogen is also a steroid. it is more dangerous than hgh, and women take it for very long periods for birth control or hrt. that shouldn't be allowed either.

i understand we disagree, i am just curious, where do you draw the line? alcohol and tobacco is ok (way more health issues, and it effects both users and non users by proxy), but peds and recreational drugs should be illegal? i can not understand the difference.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:03 pm

Yeah alcohol and tobacco can be problematic. I can vouch for that from my own family history. My uncle smoked bigtime, and died of lung cancer. There is a history of bad alcoholism on both sides of my family (grandparents, an uncle, and my father). I've never smoked, and drink alcohol very seldom.

I know many claim addiction should be treated like an illness, but when I consider all of the grief alcoholism caused my family over the years (my grandfather beat my grandmother when he was drunk, and it took my father getting cancer in 1990, for him to stop drinking [it came very close to causing my mother to divorce my dad]), I have a hard time not feeling to an extent, that there is some selfishness, or stupidity in taking enough drugs, to get addicted to them. It baffles me why people even take drugs like heroin, PCP, methamphetamine, etc., considering how terribly addictive they are, and horrible health effects they have on the human body. The effects of many of these drugs have been well known for decades, yet people still take them - enough so, that at least in my neck of the woods (the Milwaukee metro area), there has been a rise in herion addiction, herion overdoses, and deaths related to heroin. I realize that decriminalization of drugs (or PES for that matter), would probably eliminate illegal distribution of them, but making them more available, would also probably mean that even more people would give them a try, and even more people with addictive tendencies would get hooked on them. It's one of those "law of unintended consequences" things.

I'm done talking about this.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:00 pm

ellengtrgrl wrote:Yeah alcohol and tobacco can be problematic. I can vouch for that from my own family history. My uncle smoked bigtime, and died of lung cancer. There is a history of bad alcoholism on both sides of my family (grandparents, an uncle, and my father). I've never smoked, and drink alcohol very seldom.

I know many claim addiction should be treated like an illness, but when I consider all of the grief alcoholism caused my family over the years (my grandfather beat my grandmother when he was drunk, and it took my father getting cancer in 1990, for him to stop drinking [it came very close to causing my mother to divorce my dad]), I have a hard time not feeling to an extent, that there is some selfishness, or stupidity in taking enough drugs, to get addicted to them. It baffles me why people even take drugs like heroin, PCP, methamphetamine, etc., considering how terribly addictive they are, and horrible health effects they have on the human body. The effects of many of these drugs have been well known for decades, yet people still take them - enough so, that at least in my neck of the woods (the Milwaukee metro area), there has been a rise in herion addiction, herion overdoses, and deaths related to heroin. I realize that decriminalization of drugs (or PES for that matter), would probably eliminate illegal distribution of them, but making them more available, would also probably mean that even more people would give them a try, and even more people with addictive tendencies would get hooked on them. It's one of those "law of unintended consequences" things.

I'm done talking about this.

Well said. :clap:

Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:48 pm

PEDs:

I'm not a big fan of any major sports, so I've generally ignored this subject. I couldn't care less whether some superstar athlete is doping, or what it does for athletes' and team owners' profits. I probably played rugby in the 80s and 90s against some college football washouts who were using PEDs, but I figured that I could take a hit much better than they could make a hit. Now that my sons have started playing rugby themselves, the issue really concerns me. I hate the thought that they may have to compete for spots on a roster one day against people who are doping (as a matter of fairness), and especially that they could end up playing against people on PEDs (as a matter of their personal safety). Professional athletes (and I would include college players receiving scholarships and other rewards in that category) should be banned for life. I don't care about what they do with their own health, but I care very much about the example they set when they get away with doping.

Headstocks:

In my experience, the headstock argument is what die-hard FMIC or "Fender brand" loyalists resort to when they know they can't talk about build quality, tone, innovation or having a direct link to Leo Fender:

Fender fan: "I play a limited edition relic Strat. It's the real thing...not like your G&L imitation."

G&L player: "My G&L was designed by Leo Fender and built on Fender Avenue, in Leo Fender's factory, by craftsmen Leo hired, and with Leo sitting about 25 feet away. Your guitar was built under license to the corporation that bought the rights to the Fender logo from the corporation that bought the rights to the Fender logo from the corporation that bought the rights to the Fender logo. Which one is the imitation?"

Fender fan: "OK, I've heard that they can be decent guitars...but that headstock is too ugly for me to be seen with!".

I think the "hook", in all of the subtle variations it's seen since '82, looks better than the "paddle" style it replaced. One way or another, I can't see the headstock on any of my guitars or basses when I'm playing them!

Ken

Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:06 pm

the headstock is not an issue to me. i think it would look better a little taller/fatter from top to bottom proportionally though. the end reminds me of the balloons that clowns use to make animals and hats with. it is sort of an olive from popeye cartoonish form. i like the smaller fender not the large version. i think the asat looks better than the tele headstock.

i have grew up in an alcoholic family the gene missed me but you cannot escape the damage being subjected to people like this.

lance armstrong attracts haters looking for an excuse to hate. the lengths people go tp describe how much of a scoundrel they believe he is amazes me considering most people don't know him or have ever met him. his cancer came before all of his tour de france wins. he may be stubborn but he doesn't strike me as suicidal. i doubt any medical professional around him sourced his cancer to steroid abuse. there was a football player who was convinced his own brain cancer came from steroid abuse but that seemed superstitious. i think football players get crazy with anything that makes them play harder. the odds are he could have shot something directly into his brain if someone told him it would help him on the football field. cycliists seem more refined about it taking careful dosages.

i'd like the ped thing to fade away and become unfashionable getting back to basic strength and skill competitions. but the drama of persecuting people is worse than the concept of athletes "cheating." i don't mean it doesn't matter to me. i just mean the persecution is worse. there is so much finger waving. the world has become a series of overlapping scandals. i am sick of it.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:35 pm

Salmon wrote:the headstock is not an issue to me. i think it would look better a little taller/fatter from top to bottom proportionally though. the end reminds me of the balloons that clowns use to make animals and hats with. it is sort of an olive from popeye cartoonish form. i like the smaller fender not the large version. i think the asat looks better than the tele headstock.

i have grew up in an alcoholic family the gene missed me but you cannot escape the damage being subjected to people like this.

lance armstrong attracts haters looking for an excuse to hate. the lengths people go tp describe how much of a scoundrel they believe he is amazes me considering most people don't know him or have ever met him. his cancer came before all of his tour de france wins. he may be stubborn but he doesn't strike me as suicidal. i doubt any medical professional around him sourced his cancer to steroid abuse. there was a football player who was convinced his own brain cancer came from steroid abuse but that seemed superstitious. i think football players get crazy with anything that makes them play harder. the odds are he could have shot something directly into his brain if someone told him it would help him on the football field. cycliists seem more refined about it taking careful dosages.

i'd like the ped thing to fade away and become unfashionable getting back to basic strength and skill competitions. but the drama of persecuting people is worse than the concept of athletes "cheating." i don't mean it doesn't matter to me. i just mean the persecution is worse. there is so much finger waving. the world has become a series of overlapping scandals. i am sick of it.

you are talking about lyle alzedo. he did not get Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease (what he had) from steroids, nor did he think that. he did get that from organic hgh, and because of that occurring at a high rate, organic hgh (harvested from cadavers) was banned worldwide in '97. the steroid angle was simply a pr campaign. hgh was synthesized soon after, and synthetic hgh is a very safe substance. ellengt claiming people have died from it is inaccurate. i was involved with some of the cases where the media was hell bent oh trying to make it look like hgh was the cause of death. they knew it was not the case, but they admitted that was the story they wanted to tell. insulin killing people was not a story, which was the actual case. a lot of people combine insulin with hgh, and insulin can certainly kill you. taking fast acting insulin and not enough sugar with it will kill a person and kill them fast. insulin is available without a prescription, and nobody is even talking about banning it. it is the most anabolic (building muscle) hormone available, and the most dangerous as well. also not testable. it is too bad that ellengt has fallen for the propaganda and misinformation. she is not to blame, the truth is very difficult to come by.