Lunch Report -- Friday, July 19, 2013

Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:13 am

Lunch -- Pretzel Bacon Burger from Wendy's. Fries. Coke. It was magical.

G&L Topic -- Pedals. Its not a secret that this time around I am doing this purely for the pedal. Which G&L BBE pedals do you have? Here's what I've had, Buckshot, Wah, and a Green Screamer.

They all were fine. I didnt keep any of them but thats how I do... I know.... Whats the sonic maximizer stuff all about? What are the new pedals all about too?! I am liking what I am seeing there. I haven't watched any videos or anything but they look neat.

Non-G&L Topic -- Lets keep it pedal related. I want to know your three favorites here: 1. OD/Distortion 2. Delay 3. Comp
Here are mine -- 1. OCD 2. EH Memory Toy (haven't tried anything else besides a Flashback and a Boss DD3). 3. Wampler Ego Comp

Its been fun everyone. Thanks for tuning in. I'll try to stick around from now on since everyone was cool and talked to me on my week!

Here's my last video and also I want to ask you guys something way off topic... Its my last day so I am looking at it as a free for all haha

It's an RC Truck video --
[youtube]3gOS3SfX8bk[/youtube]

That is a Traxxas Slash 2wd. His review is excellent. Now, I've had a few RC Trucks in the past and I always steered more toward racing and competition cars but now I want something that can be hopped up and something thats tough as can be. Watch toward the end. This dude slams this Slash into a wall flat out. I mean, I now its not as good as a Team Associated SC10 but daggone they started the RC world back up again in 2008 with this Slash and they can be hopped up but until I do get crazy again, I think this would be the best bet. Anyone have any of these and any words of wisdom to steer me away from Traxxas?

Re: Lunch Report -- Friday, July 19, 2013

Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:48 am

the only g&l pedal i have on my board is the sonic stomp. very nice actually.

1. xts pprecision drive 2. neunaber echo 3. seven sisters grace/sonic oppressor by heavy.

the flashback is very good btw, but only if you use the tone print setting and the toneprint editor.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:57 am

I'm not much into pedals, had a full board once and I don't care what you guys say, true bypass or not, sucks the natural tone away, but I guess that's why you use pedals, because you don't like your tone! I'm OK with guitar to amp, if I want a different tone I change my guitar and amp combination, of course everybody doesn't own a bunch of different guitars and amps so I guess pedals are the way to go to change up your tone. I have most of the BBE pedals and do use them occasionally, my fav is the sonic Stomp which I use with all of my old cheaper amps, cleans them up nicely.

Love the vid that looks like a lot of fun.

Gary

Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:18 pm

BBE/G&L pedals:

- Early Sonic Maximizer from before they were stompboxes. Now that I'm thinking of it, I will try it in my synth rig.
- Bench Press compressor - Got it for a turn as LR, use it mainly as a limiter when I need one.
- Bouble Barrel - Another LR reward. It sounds good, but I haven't used it much. I wish it had continuous controls instead of selectors.

Favorites:

- OD/Distortion - Probably a Way Huge Swollen Pickle. I use distortion more often on bass than on guitar, and this is one of the best out there for bass. It's great with synths, too.
- Delay - Moog MF-104Z Analog Delay. I love the fact that it has an effects loop that will let you modulate the echoes without affecting the original note.
- Comp - Carl Martin Compressor/Limiter. Not much to say about this one. It does the job, and does it really well.

Ken

Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:07 pm

I have no G&L pedals on my board. I had a sonic stomp, but it did absolutely thing for my guitar rig, it was just extra signal chain that was completely inaudible, it did alter my bass rig some but I didn't need it, wasn't playing much bass at the time. Tried a bench press, it was alright, but I prefer my other compressor.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:14 pm

I only have two pedals, a boss loop station and a BYOC pedal I built a couple of years ago. The only amp I have is a fender superchamp xd that has some decent voicings and effects that sound pretty decent. I also play a lot of Rocksmith and there are a lot of good tones that you can use with that and the sound is really good going through my home theater set up. I wouldn't mind picking up a Swart AST somewhere down the line. Good reports this week BTW :-)

Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:55 pm

I only have two pedals , a MXR distortion plus and a BBE Sonic stomp from my LR , the Sonic stomp sounds great through the Peavey Classic 30 , just like the add says "its like removing a blanket from your speaker " , in my case it sounds like I took off a couple quilts ..... I haven't tried it yet with the Kustom SS , I'll have to wait until the wife visit's our daughter before I can try the Kustom out

I do have a Line 6 floor pod plus but it makes every guitar I own sound the same ... aaarrrgh :fighting0030: ..... I use it mainly for head phones only

Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:43 pm

I have several pedals from BBE, but I haven't made any decisions on them yet.

I have a lot of pedals on my board. According to lucifer, all of them are very low quality and therefore can't possibly sound very good, LOL! So I probably shouldn't make any recommendations. :crazy:

Love that RC truck!

Bill

Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:07 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:I have several pedals from BBE, but I haven't made any decisions on them yet.

I have a lot of pedals on my board. According to lucifer, all of them are very low quality and therefore can't possibly sound very good, LOL! So I probably shouldn't make any recommendations. :crazy:

Love that RC truck!

Bill
that's not what i said. the buffes are poor quality, and they are not true bypass. they can sound good when on, but will definitely effect your tone negatively when off.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:38 am

padavis wrote:Its not a secret that this time around I am doing this purely for the pedal.

That's what we tell ourselves...though the limelight is addictive.

padavis wrote:They all were fine. I didnt keep any of them but thats how I do...

Me too...and every time I'm hoping for a keeper . The build is top notch,heavy enclosure,solid feel.
The two-timer just didn't roll enough highs off to make it usable. The boosta grande didn't seem voiced well for my gear, I was tempted to tinker with it ...opted to pass it on. A continuously variable adjutsment would be good,
I might have kept it then.
It's almost as if these pedals are being tested by someone who has some high end hearing loss.
Like mixing a track with no tweets, the final mix will have too much highs.

padavis wrote:Whats the sonic maximizer stuff all about?

I liked my rack version...and it was the xlr balanced version. There was a hiss that accompanied the highs just as I found the high freq sweet spot. Not really noticable most the time but during quiet passages it was competing
with the reverb trails for attention.

padavis wrote:What are the new pedals all about too?! I am liking what I am seeing there.

I'm eager to try the window pain fuzz...I haven't given up yet.

padavis wrote:Non-G&L Topic -- Lets keep it pedal related. I want to know your three favorites here: 1. OD/Distortion 2. Delay 3. Comp

1. Old fuzzface with a Big muff (black russian ,but I'd love to have a civil war or older ram) right after .
I have a mid 70's Cornell Fuzzface that does well on its own...huge ottom end for just a few components...wow.
Or the mean or scream channel on my Trio pre makes me pretty happy.

2. I use the Electrix MoFX in my rack (two of them ) , there are also some nice time based FX in the Lexicon MX400.
I use a volume pedal before the echo and use them in paralell. I can Eq the echo return that way to simulate old tape etc.
I'd be interested in a Strymon, maybe just for gigging.
My rack system already sounds like one ( well ..probably better ) and I think things might get too plastic sounding (and they are spendy).
I have a few old Reel to Reels and a drawer with extra heads...I see a multi-head sorta frippertronics space machine
in my future , far from a stombox but with infinite (pun intended) potential.

3. I don't have any stomp compressors. I use the HHB radius 40's (poor mans TL Audio)and have an HHB mono Fatman comp that sits on the desk for mics,bass, or whatever.

Let us know how you get along with your new choice,thx for the LR's!

cheers,
elwood

Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:22 pm

Pat, just back and your topic is pedals.

I am not a pedal guy as such and own several BBE from lunch reports. I will say the sonic stomp is a must in my opinion for most amps. A few don't benefit from it but most will. I also use two BBE Sonic Maximizers on the 4 chanels of our vacals and they make quite an improvement on our PA, both pa heads by the way. I am a believer and wouldn't give them up.

As for others, I have a VOX ToneLab which is wonderful for recording but needs to be programmed a bit. I would not use it in a live environment except to get an acoustic tone if needed.

Nice car clip. I would have been into RC stuff if they had been available when I was young. A friend of mine who is in his mid 70s has a model train display in his basement that is spectacular. Kids today are not interested in them, another thing lost with the times. Thanks for the fun week!-- Darwin

Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:27 pm

I don't own any G&L pedals but I did (do)have a pedal addiction. I have a board with 13 pedals on it and a smaller one with 4 pedals.
So it's tough getting the faves down but here goes .
Klon Centaur always on but without much gain. My tone sounds better with it on. I dont use it as an overdrive so it doesnt count . Hehe. My favourite OD is a BJFE Electronics Model G , got it direct from Bjorn a month ago and its incredible
.Delay , I love delay , my favourite is the Memory Lane 2.
I don't use compression so I have added my 1975 Rams head I imported to Australia from Memphis in 1992. As the long term joke goes everyone has to love a Muff.
Anthony

Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:57 pm

Cool stuff Anthony,
I'll look into the Memory Lane 2, I hadn't heard of it before.

It took me some experimentation and reading to find the sweet spot on the Fuzzface ('68 aqua) ,
it required another pot right after the input to trim the signal a bit . The specs of the transistors tend to change
after a few decades. And not all of them were dialed in when they where new anyway.
I hear they are happiest with a voltage of around 4-4.5 V on the emitter's ( another good place to have a trim adjustment ). Before my mods I was probably driving the circuit too hard...it would cut out on the sustain , be too buzzy,etc.
Now it's sounds so good ( and cleans up with the Vol.) I have it on most the time .

You should do a LR stint and try out the current G&L/BBE offerings. just a suggestion :)

I'd love to hear some clips of your set-up sometime . But I shouldn't talk much, I've promised that a few times and have yet to post clips...LOL,well maybe tonight :roll:

elwood