Lunch Report - July 18, 2013

Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:32 am

Lunch - Free pizza from work. We'll see what this is all about but free is good...

G&L Topic -- What happened to the Whipper Snapper amp?! I had not been as excited about a new amp from anyone else... Is the whole project scrapped or what? Any way to get one of the prototypes? Maybe a forum run? Has there ever been any G&L amps in the past like this and kinda like that acoustic that popped up? Speaking of that acoustic, WOW! Where are those?! I want one of those!

Non-G&L topic -- what amp are you guys using?
Right now I've just picked up a Winfield Elizabeth. It's a flat out awesome amp so far. I've read it's based on the Bassman and he states its his idea of the blackface tone.

Re: Lunch Report - July 18, 2013

Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:33 am

padavis wrote:G&L Topic -- What happened to the Whipper Snapper amp?

I too have been wondering about the Whipper Snapper.

padavis wrote:Non-G&L topic -- what amp are you guys using?

My current amp collection consists of:
'56 Fender, Princeton
'71 Fender, Princeton Reverb with a Bogner, Metropolis 1x12" extension cabinet
'97 Top Hat, Club Royale
Unkown year Peavey, Delta Blues 1x15"

The '71 Princeton Reverb is my favorite. The addition of the Bogner cabinet makes it even better. The combination of the Princeton's 10" speaker and the Bogner's 12" speaker gives it a great tone!

Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:33 am

i am using a two rock custom reverb signature v3 50w 1x12. also have a 57 tweed deluxe, a 96 bassman, a 40th anniversary twin, a heritage kenny burrel signature, a ceriatone ots50, a 67 ampeg reverberocket, a 95 ampeg reverberocket. until my current amp, i just wanted a great cleantone, and got all my drive from pedals. the pedal board is bye bye now.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:56 am

padavis wrote:
G&L Topic -- What happened to the Whipper Snapper amp?!

I guess it just didn't stand out against the other boooteeky amps; sound or looks.

If they found a way to really make a magic match with the MFD output and spectrum...AND came up with a look that was recognizable from a distance and just got better the closer you look, they might make a dent in the market.

I mentioned before I like the Swarts, they have a nice blend of vintage and modern lines and Michael Swart is always tinkering (sound familiar?).

The newest offering of a stereo head and cab have got me thinking about a purchase more than I should.
I go to the oldest Swart AST for my main amp...running through two JBL D131's! wired in parallel.
If I fire up the Swart SST on the oter side of the room and split a line out to the rack system for some background effects...things get just reeeeallly lush .And plenty of punch since I'm going direct to amps, maybe with a thomas wah (with hardwire bypass) as the only thing before the amps.

Here's the one I want:

Then there is the Mesa's ,Sunn2000s ,Kittyhawk ,Engl Digitalamp, Dynacords...just in case :)

So FMIC shut down the Tacoma Acoustic plant that the G&L acoustics were made at....I guess the plan to just lay off 4-5 employees due to redundency went out the window pretty quick. But that was almost ten years ago.

If you start a company, let's try to keep FMIC's mitts outta the pot.

Here's a G&L acoustic thread link...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=5908

I'd say that was a deal for $325 ( google still has the portland store ad cached)

elwood

Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:53 am

Pat, there are some great amps on display already this morning.

I am a clean tone guy and I have heard none better than the Custom 15 I recently sold. It was being used as a band amp and I decided to sell it to the person using it. There are two equally important factors in an amp, the amp itself and the speaker. I am going to experiment a bit before buying my next one but I would love to have a head with an old JBL 15 in speaker. Whatever I get, it will have a 15 on it. I recently passed up an amp that I regret not buying. A Fender Steel King. It is a solid state amp but also quite reasonable with the heavy 15 speaker that sounds so sweet. I have a Cyber Twin SE which is a pretty slick amp if you like to program things. I have several bass amps and my favorite is the Carvin RS1000 which will be my last bass amp. It is a terrific amp but the effects in it stink. I do not use them anyhow. My little Valve Train 5 watt with the Spring Thing reverb is really sweet and if it weren't so pretty, it would make a good gigging amp if miked up. Anyway, I would not have bought a Whipper Snapper as I don't think it would compete against some of the boutiques. I am going to get another amp and have even considered an older Peavey Delta Blues 15 of some type. I should check with Sprinter to see how he likes his. Picking an amp is somewhat like picking a spouse. We all have different tastes. I recently checked out some boutiques at AGB and there were none that spoke to me. The Custom 15 did the first time I tried it.

For what it's worth, I finally plugged my Rickenbacker 360 into an amp a couple nights ago after owning it for about a month to discover that a pickup wasn't working. A simple fix in the stereo output jack and it was cooking. Some pretty cool sounds in the Ricky. When I buy another amp I will try it before taking it home, promise!!!!!-- Darwin

Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:10 am

All my amps are voiced to my guitars:

Invader Deluxe/1991 ASAT-Mesa Mark III blue stripe

Signature S-500-Roccaforte "Rocky 30" w/ 1X12 Mesa Thiele (Celestion)

1998 ASAT Classic-Fender HRD 1X12; Roccaforte "Rocky 30"

I am the happiest I have ever been with my amps

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:14 am

dayum I love this board :D if I'm not tapping into the immense knowledge base here I'm drooling over everyone's gear :lol:

Amp wise in oz I got a Mesa MK IV umbuya/wicker. 1X12 EV.the B model.i used to just use it stand alone for duo/trio gigs,hook it up to a generic 2x12 box with black shadows in it for band gigs that had a keyboardist,or a Mesa quad for 3 piece gigs when I was pro.
In the PI I have recently acquired a vox AC30.unsure of the model sorry.
Unfortuneatly ill have to sell the boogie due to logistics,as the duty getting it into the PI from oz will basically cost what I paid for it .which will gut me,I absolutely love that amp :(
Lucily though they're rare as hens teeth these days so ill get a good price for it & switch it out for an Axe FX-II for the DAW ill be hopefully starting next year.or maybe an Axe FX-23 by the time I get out of this s#*%hole! :happy0007:
Good LR's this week padavis,love ya work mate! :thumbup:

Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:57 am

I alternate with a 1962 Blonde Bassman and a 1962 Vox AC30. Sometime I will add a Blackface or early silver face Princeton Reverb.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:25 am

I run a Mark V head into a 412 of G12T100s from Avatar, sounds good to my ear and infinite tweakability. AS far as the Whipper Snapper, and amps that bring out MFD goodness, I found I loved the sound of MFDs through the fender Supersonic (vibrolux / bassman hybrid switchable amp). The Mark V is the only amp I have, I don't really need any others.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:42 am

sirmyghin wrote:I run a Mark V head into a 412 of G12T100s from Avatar, sounds good to my ear and infinite tweakability. AS far as the Whipper Snapper, and amps that bring out MFD goodness, I found I loved the sound of MFDs through the fender Supersonic (vibrolux / bassman hybrid switchable amp). The Mark V is the only amp I have, I don't really need any others.

that supersonic sounded like neither though (tested it next to both). the prosonic was actually much better imnsho.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:59 am

My main amp since '83 has been a Fender Bassman Ten. The others I've accumulated over the years are:

- 2010 Gallien Krueger MB-150 - This is my upright bass amp, and also does well as a practice amp for the electrics. I run an extension cab for gigs.
- 1982 GK MB-150 - My backup for upright. At $50, I couldn't pass it up.
- Early 2000s Fender Blues Junior (MIA) - Great sound at low volumes, and easier to transport than the Bassman.
- Mid-80s Roland JC-120 - Unpleasantly shrill played clean, but gorgeous with the chorus running. Takes effects and handles synths well.
- 1969 Fender Super Reverb - Found at a yard sale for $200. Planned it for trade fodder, but the right trade still hasn't come up.
- Late 70s Fender Champ - Bought it cheap, holding it for trade fodder one day...
- Mid-60s Harmony H400 - Came with a guitar several years back. Three inputs, one volume knob, and overdrives at bedroom levels.

Ken

Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:09 pm

louis cyfer wrote:
sirmyghin wrote:I run a Mark V head into a 412 of G12T100s from Avatar, sounds good to my ear and infinite tweakability. AS far as the Whipper Snapper, and amps that bring out MFD goodness, I found I loved the sound of MFDs through the fender Supersonic (vibrolux / bassman hybrid switchable amp). The Mark V is the only amp I have, I don't really need any others.

that supersonic sounded like neither though (tested it next to both). the prosonic was actually much better imnsho.

Still a good sounding amp, I'll check out a prosonic if I get a chance though. I bring my ASAT to jam at my one buddies place based on how it sounds through that amp. :happy0007:

Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:47 pm

sirmyghin wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:

Still a good sounding amp, I'll check out a prosonic if I get a chance though. I bring my ASAT to jam at my one buddies place based on how it sounds through that amp. :happy0007:

i am not saying it's bad sounding, it just doesn't sound like the bassman or the vibrolux.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:45 pm

Hey Pat. How did the free pizza thing work out? I'm guessing that there was no free beer to wash it down with? Ha!

Man, you guys have some great amps here. Seriously. Are we a lucky lot here or what? One could say that many here are blessed in many ways.... ;+)

I've been playing a lot of acoustic lately on account of the fact that the kids are sleeping by the time I get the time and the need to play. However, when I do plug in, I can choose from a '64 Vox AC-4, '69 Fender Vibro Champ, late '80's Fender Super 60, or a modern Super Champ XD.

Really enjoyed your week of Lunch Reports, Mr. Davis, and it's nice having you back in the fold.

What the he*l was the question? - ed

Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:18 pm

ed -- The pizza was okay. Just Dominos. They are not near as special as their commercials talk about... I'll try to stick around better this time haha. Ive been trying to play more instead of just chase gear. haha

Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:47 pm

great LR this week !! ..... I have a Line 6 spider 3 15watt practice amp I seldom use , Peavey Classic 30 I use everyday and have a Kustom early 70's SS amp I like a lot but it's a little too big to keep in the house according to the "Ole Lady"

Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:07 pm

I have a lot of amps. I have my old SUNN Solos II 212 combo, but I don't gig with it anymore.

My gigging amps are all Mesas. I have a:

DC-3 112 combo
MARK III combo (2)
MARK IV combo
Maverick 212 combo
MARK III head and 412 cab

And in May, I picked up a new MARK V combo. They are all killer amps, but the V is an amazing piece of gear. Can't wait to gig with it.

I also have several Mesa cabs around in various sizes. And there are a couple of combo bass amps too.

Bill

Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:11 am

Thanks for the kind words about my LR. I tried to follow Tims advice the best I could. Yes there are some crazy amps on this page. I'm really interested in the Axe Fx stuff it was surprising to see no one here has one of those yet!

Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:55 pm

I was thinking about the AXE-FX, but bought the Mark V. The AXE does sound good, very organic feel. Great value.

Bill