11%
Hugo Chavez
33%
Volvo
56%

Total votes : 9

July 5th - Happy Venezuela Day!

Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:07 am

Happy Venezuela Day everybody! Did you know that Venezuela has the lowest prices of petrol in the world? Also, it has this beach. Pass the pina colada!

Lunch today was a variety of Sri Lankan curries from a grocer up the road, it’s the best curry I’ve ever eaten and dirt cheap. I never need dinner after eating it for lunch either. It was also the first thing I’ve been able to taste since I’ve had this flu, which kicked back in with a vengeance last night :cry:

Musician Wanted Ads:
The local muso’s wanted page is a strange world. Some stuff is fine – I have joined three bands because of them – and some stuff is like this
“My name is DZIA (pronounced 'desire'). In spontaneous sound, song & movement I will embody a 'Jesus' on stage that relishes in the company of beautiful women (not smelly fishermen). I'm gathering an ensemble of 12 musician/performance artists to be 'my disciples'. The first is *Tijana (on piano). No doubt confident in your ability as a musician, you will also enjoy engaging in spontaneous voice and movement. I'm looking for the girls that are larger than life; cheeky, intense, sensitive, vulnerable, EMOTIONAL, sensual, sexual, provocative... As the show is to be a pure, unadulterated expression of human nature, I'm looking for the gals that don't smoke (anything) or take drugs.”

I’ll be the first to admit that this would be a cool stage show, but I can’t imagine a woman with so much as a scrap of judgment wanting to join in! Any hilarious ads in your town?

Fave G&L headstocks
I’m a fan of the larger headstock found on the SC-2, F100 and the JC models. For me it’s slightly-out-of-proportion look gives them a playful, hand-designed vibe. And I very much like the “tit”. What say you?

Poll
I'll leave you with a short, humourous video of one of the candidates for Australia's upcoming election. I'm hoping that a better choice will come up before election day, but it never does, does it!? Say for a moment that this guy's only real opposition represents the polar opposite of your values and you know that you'd hate him deeply on a personal level despite never having actually met him - who gets your vote?
[youtube]_ipvdBnU8F8[/youtube]

Thanks to everyone who read and posted this week. Have a great weekend :greet:

Re: July 5th - Happy Venezuela Day!

Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:52 am

Hi Jamie, thanks for the nice LR this week !
No funny musician ad sorry.

The headstock.... I'm at the opposite, I just can't stand the BIG headstock, my fave is the Legacy/S500.

Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:47 am

Happy Venezuela Day! I learn stuff just by hanging around this board as I had no idea that my Rampage(only g&l I have so far) headstock is bigger than the others. Love the headstock, especially the 'tit'! So you're telling me that a Legacy or an Asat has a headstock smaller than this? Not sure which I'd prefer, but the design is great anyhow. Enjoyed the LRs this week Jamie!

Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:55 am

I also prefer the larger headstock on my SC-2, the headstock on my S-500 seems slightly small IMO , like someone with a pinhead. It doesn't bug me as much as it used too though. The " tit " hmmm, back before I owned a G&L I would see Leo era guitars without it and thought those were the best headstock shapes. I still think those original shapes are the best but the " tit "no longer bothers me.

Enlighten me on why they stopped the original shape, must have been legal reasons no ?

Ear wax guy ! Gross !

Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:57 am

Hi Jamie
Been busy with financial year end (yes Jamie and Philby ... finance is within my portfolio!!!!!!) and haven’t had time to participate this week but have been reading – excellent week as usual.

Reissues - Generally not impressed by them
The tour yup like you watch it every year for the scenery. Coverage here is perfectly timed with live coverage from 9PM until Midnight-ish.

Guitars and Eras – %0’s is the American Fenders and Gibsons, 60’s the Brit sounds of Vox and Burns, 70’s some awesome Japanese gear, 80’s all manner of superstrats and yes the birth of G&L, 90’s + … yawn.

Richard Thompson. Big fan of Fairport Convention and everyone who came out of it (RIP Sandy Denny) … and Ed I’m betting the saddest song ever is “End of the Rainbow”, yes?

Bikes Haven’t ridden one in a l-o-n-g time but had a little Suzuki 250 when I was at Uni back in the mid ‘70’s ( …. Doing my finance degree!). Note to self … must get a motorcycle licence one day. My younger brother over in Sydney still rides a VFR similar to Louis's.

Australia’s Upcoming Election. Shame Peter Costello retired at the last election. What could be better than the possibility of an Australian Government lead by Tony Abbott and Peter Costello.

DZIA LOL…. That would probably be this guy …. (Language Warning and very scary guy alert)
[youtube]INb6Bi9NSow[/youtube]
(My youngest son saw him “performing” when he was in Melbourne last year and told us all about him when he got back! Apparently he considers himself as some sort of incarnation of Jesus Christ and Adolf Hitler!!??)

cheers, Robbie

Congrats on completing your studies and good luck with the job hunting!

Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:13 am

Hey Robbie, sorry about the finance quip - probably a bit too broad a generalisation.

PC and TA would be a great combination! Hey, maybe D*ZIA could get in on it too! I hadn't even thunk of a looking for a clip to go with the ad. Suspicions confirmed.

Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:39 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:Hey Robbie, sorry about the finance quip - probably a bit too broad a generalisation.

LOL. I'll let you both off on the technicality that you were not talking about finance people per se but people in the finance industry. Then I can join in and agree with you LOL

Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:33 am

In my local Craigslist Musicians section an ad with the following title has appeared hundreds of times (literally, with no exaggeration):

I play Drums & Guitar pro gear want to be in a have experience (ROCK)!

All I can conclude is that the person never reads his own ad to even see if it is a proper sentence. And that is all I need to know.

I voted for Hugo Chavez since being dead means he's least likely to mess things up.

Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:17 am

Kit wrote:In my local Craigslist Musicians section an ad with the following title has appeared hundreds of times (literally, with no exaggeration):

I play Drums & Guitar pro gear want to be in a have experience (ROCK)!

All I can conclude is that the person never reads his own ad to even see if it is a proper sentence. And that is all I need to know.

I voted for Hugo Chavez since being dead means he's least likely to mess things up.

I looked up that CL ad and it's even funnier than I thought. The guy uses no capitalization (except for some random words) or punctuation. I like the fact that he "knows what it means to have a almost telepathic feel between band members feeling the flow".

Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:35 am

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for a fine week of LRs.

For me, the tit makes a G&L a G&L. When considering older headstocks, it is not so much their shape but the guitars in my collection they are found on that makes me smile: the SB-1 bass and SC-series. All are just outstanding instruments.

As far as your other question is concerned, if Mr Rudd of capable of eating bitter ear wax, does that imply he swallow the bitter pill that is politics better too? It is just unfortunate many politicans are so inept easily leading to extreme and/or polarizing positions. Too many of them are suffering from the Dunning-Kruger effect.

And mind you, it is not just politicians ...

- Jos

Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:47 am

No clue on funny ads, but I did try to take someone up on jamming only to be asked what gear I use. I just... left that one there.

Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:48 am

Hi Guys! Just hanging out here at home on the 5th of July (work is closed due to if being a floating [the Friday after the 4th of July] holiday. I'm listening to Chicago performing live at Tanglewood in 1970 (when they were still cool sounding, before they cheesed out and went totally pop). Good stuff! I used to play in a band that did "25 or 6 to 4", and it was one fun song to play! In the 70s, the late Terry Kath got a lot of his happening guitar tones from a Tele with a 'bucker in the neck (during that time period, swapping out the single coil neck pickup, and putting in a humbucker as a replacement, was pretty common mod). As a result of this, maybe it sounds silly, but I was impressed enough with the Tribute ASAT Bluesboy I tried out (and almost bought), before I bought my NOS, 2005 Tribute ASAT Special Semi-Hollow, and am almost tempted to trade my MIM Fender Esquire (which I put a Don Mare Twangzilla in), towards it (with a little extra cash thrown in), and bring it home.

G&L headstock shape - none of them look hideous to me. So, I can live with any of them.

Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:10 pm

ellengtrgrl wrote:Hi Guys! Just hanging out here at home on the 5th of July (work is closed due to if being a floating [the Friday after the 4th of July] holiday. I'm listening to Chicago performing live at Tanglewood in 1970 (when they were still cool sounding, before they cheesed out and went totally pop). Good stuff! I used to play in a band that did "25 or 6 to 4", and it was one fun song to play! In the 70s, the late Terry Kath got a lot of his happening guitar tones from a Tele with a 'bucker in the neck (during that time period, swapping out the single coil neck pickup, and putting in a humbucker as a replacement, was pretty common mod). As a result of this, maybe it sounds silly, but I was impressed enough with the Tribute ASAT Bluesboy I tried out (and almost bought), before I bought my NOS, 2005 Tribute ASAT Special Semi-Hollow, and am almost tempted to trade my MIM Fender Esquire (which I put a Don Mare Twangzilla in), towards it (with a little extra cash thrown in), and bring it home.

G&L headstock shape - none of them look hideous to me. So, I can live with any of them.

Were they still called Chicago Transit Authority at that point? I saw them back in the day before the name change.

Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:21 pm

hi everyone,

i like the smaller headstocks (legacy, s-500, asat) just not the big sc fallout sizes. they look like boat paddles and lack refinement to me.

i do not like alphabet soup acts like in that craigslist ad. just too much personal drama presented as entertainment to me. you kind of have to be interested in joining them in their thing. but it seems like there are a lot of bands like this that are popular enough to be making it.

i do not write with caps because of the keyboard on my laptop but i am usually okay with punctuation and sentence structure if i have time to review before letting it loose.

beautiful beaches are everywhere. i would never vacation at most of them it is what is being done inland that is to worry about.

i can't watch the video with my weak laptop so no comment there.

i have cheese and crackers with a tangelo waiting for me.

see ya

Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:58 pm

suave eddie wrote:
ellengtrgrl wrote:Hi Guys! Just hanging out here at home on the 5th of July (work is closed due to if being a floating [the Friday after the 4th of July] holiday. I'm listening to Chicago performing live at Tanglewood in 1970 (when they were still cool sounding, before they cheesed out and went totally pop). Good stuff! I used to play in a band that did "25 or 6 to 4", and it was one fun song to play! In the 70s, the late Terry Kath got a lot of his happening guitar tones from a Tele with a 'bucker in the neck (during that time period, swapping out the single coil neck pickup, and putting in a humbucker as a replacement, was pretty common mod). As a result of this, maybe it sounds silly, but I was impressed enough with the Tribute ASAT Bluesboy I tried out (and almost bought), before I bought my NOS, 2005 Tribute ASAT Special Semi-Hollow, and am almost tempted to trade my MIM Fender Esquire (which I put a Don Mare Twangzilla in), towards it (with a little extra cash thrown in), and bring it home.

Were they still called Chicago Transit Authority at that point? I saw them back in the day before the name change.

Lucky You! No, they dropped the "Transit Authority" from their name in late '69 (as you may know, due to legal hassles with the city of Chicago, which had it's mass transit agency named the Chicago Transit Authority).

Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:11 pm

ellengtrgrl wrote:
suave eddie wrote:

Lucky You! No, they dropped the "Transit Authority" from their name in late '69 (as you may know, due to legal hassles with the city of Chicago, which had it's mass transit agency named the Chicago Transit Authority).

Yeah, I wasn't sure exactly when the name changed--I knew it was sometime around that time. So I must have still been in high school when I saw them--I graduated in '69--it was probably that year.

"They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band / It ain't what they call rock and roll " :lol:

Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:04 pm

Great looking beach Jamie, a person could settle in on that one!

I like most of the G&L headstocks but I agree that the large one is cool. I am opposite with Fenders and really like the Tele headstock best. Thanks for the enjoyable LR's this week with great pics and clips. I haven't been around much but have really enjoyed them and I did have a great weekend and hope that everyone else did! -- Darwin

Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:34 am

Fave G&L headstocks
I’m a fan of the larger headstock found on the SC-2, F100 and the JC models. For me it’s slightly-out-of-proportion look gives them a playful, hand-designed vibe. And I very much like the “tit”. What say you?

I prefer the small, no "tit" headstocks like what's on my 1984 SB-2 (this exact one) :
http://www.ggjaguar.com/sb-2-84.htm