wednesDAY LR - June 26,

Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:08 pm

Thanks for all the replies yesterday.
I've been a night owl the last couple months and it sometimes feels like I'm playing 5/4 against a 3/4
time signature.
Crazy weather here...thunderstorms and sunshine...literally changing every 5 minutes.
My SAD is being seriously toyed with :shocked028: . Do I mow the lawn and get out the house paint?
nope here comes the rain...guess I'll work in the studio...oop...there's that glorious sunshine...and on and on.

So I put my blinders on and just won't look out the window for a while....LOL

Over the weekend , inbetween downpours, I gave my '76 Boogie MK 1 some love.
I've never gone through it completely ( bought it maybe 8 years ago) and glad I did.
The reverb springs were hangin off the bottom of the tank (D'oH!!)...I think that might have been the reverb
problem :idea:

I have some other accutronics tanks that are the same...should pop right in.
I recently learned that there are vast differences in input and output impedances of reverb tanks.
I'd like to play with some DIY reverb projects. I've seen some nice simple things on youtube.
I'm looking forward to some time at the bench with the multimeter and a frsh cup of coffee.

The cabinet is Cherry wood, and was pretty hashed. As much as I like a rood relic, I felt the right thing to do
was to refinish it . I left remnants of the deeper gouges , but you'd have to look to find them.
Often I leave a hint of the history of something if I'm refinishing/rebuilding something.

I'm going to tackle the maple small-theile cabs next . Maybe the Purpleheart one...but it has held up pretty well and still holds a shine.
The maple cabs have jbl 12" D131's, a D110 in the purpleheart, and I'm trying
a SammiSound celestion copy in the mesa (why not?) ...they are cheap but have a similar set of specs to
the greenbacks.

I'm going to play with the pre tubes later to find a good compliment.
I'm almost to the point where I'm comfy making some short vids with good sound....can't wait to share
some G&L goodness through some well warmed tubes.

oh yeah...pics :)

In 1981 a friend played in a band with an F-100 hog/maple and a MK l boogie.
He had an MXR phase 100 and an original ibanez tubescreamer(didn't we all ??).

I'm hoping I can find that killer tone he had...he probably had an altec or celestion in the boogie, maybe a JBL.

Dunno what tubes he had....anyway that's a tone I'm chasing. I'll post some pics ( and eventually a vid)
of some F-100's with the boogie stack. I'm determined to get a LR before dark so that'll be part two.

Have you been chasing a certain heavenly (to you) tone...have you got close? maybe even surpassed it :thumbup: ??
What's been a memorable eureka moment ? please share !! ;)

elwood

P.S.
If you have any idea what this is...there could be a prize in the future for ya
(I might have to pick the closest answer...it's a tough one)

Re: wednesDAY LR - June 26,

Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:30 am

Well I guess there was no hurry.

I might be back

ew

Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:29 am

Love love love that Boogie

Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:18 am

Beautiful Boogie indeed. For some reason, the esthetics and use of exotic hard wood cabinetry has entirely become associated with Randall Smith's company in my mind. I can barely imagine any other company doing it. They must be out there, I guess. But if I see a non-covered amp, and especially when you see a wicker cane grille, my mind goes "Boogie!" Have fun on your tone journey trying to chase the (recollection of the) sound you hear in your head Elwood.

As for your little riddle, what came up in my mind is a spark generator.

- Jos

P.S. I remember that at the end of the '70s a French company called Charlie Lab built some fine amps using bare wood cabinetry. But they are long gone.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:37 am

yowhatsshakin wrote: Have fun on your tone journey trying to chase the (recollection of the) sound you hear in your head Elwood.

As for your little riddle, what came up in my mind is a spark generator.

Well the cleans are ok but I must have a V1 or V2 that has seen better days.
The dirt is like dried chunky peanut butter (might be caps...but the cleans sound pretty good and tight)
The SammiSound might stay for a while...it sounded big and clear last night.

Yup...no veneers on these cabs :D .
I see there is boutique amp maker : "Elmwood" from sweden IIRC...ever played one?
I could stash the "m" in a drawer so you guys would recognize me on stage : )

Your the first answer so I won't give it up yet.

Clue for others: The avacado with clove eyes has nothing to do with it's day to day function.
It just fit well that night.

elwood

Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:45 am

LeoF The Champion wrote:Love love love that Boogie

thanks for the kind words...I promise sound and video once I get things squared away a little more.
(my life has been upside down for at least a year now)
What's the Dire Straits line? " I'm tired of livin' , but I'm gonna keep on tryin'"

...one example of how music can save lives.

elwood

Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:36 am

That's a beautiful Boogie! I love the cherry cabinet and I wish more amps were made of nice wood but that would just make them that much more expensive.
a friend of mine owns a Boogie Mark 2b. It has less distortion and it is just a tolex cabinet but he is the original owner and I remember that he had the amp flown in the National Airport here in D.C from Randall Smith's company back in 1978. No one sold those amps locally since the dealer network was not set up back then and of course there was no internet, so you ordered it by phone. The good old days, LOL!

I own a MARK 3 Mesa Boogie and it is just a LOUD-ASS amp. Its a 60 watt version.

I have no idea what that device is, but it looks like something Nicola Tesla would have whipped up to deal with a cockroach problem.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:22 am

Yessir, definitely cool amps. I have my little Valve Train that I don't remove from the house as I wouldn't want to damage it. Cool photos Elwood.

Your mystery item looks like something you could use to persuade people who are not agreeable. Looks like something made from glass insulators.-- Darwin

Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:21 am

Elwood wrote:P.S.
If you have any idea what this is...there could be a prize in the future for ya
(I might have to pick the closest answer...it's a tough one)

The type of hat they wore before tin foil was invented?

Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:14 pm

Oooh VERY cool later Mk1 Boogie 8-) I used to have a .50 Caliber, and a DC3. Both were great amps, but they got loud quickly. Medium volume they weren't. I assume that you have to set the pre-graphic EQ bass level very low, to keep it from sounding farty, when you up the gain and the volume? I used to have to do that with my .50 Cal, and to a lesser extent, my DC-3.

Before I forget - a dumb question from me? I assume you know how to deal with tube circuits and their high voltages? I'm just asking, since as a person with an electronics background (electronics courses in college for Engineering Degree #1, and a Ham Radio license since I was a teenager [I also restore vintage tube ham radio gear, when I have the time and the energy - some of the old tube radio gear run the finals at over 900 volts on the plates]), I worry about people getting zapped by the plate capacitors, or plate voltages if the circuit is energized (I know a couple of ham radio operators, who got a little sloppy while working on tube gear, and almost got killed because of it).

Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:03 pm

ellengtrgrl wrote:Oooh VERY cool later Mk1 Boogie 8-) I used to have a .50 Caliber, and a DC3. Both were great amps, but they got loud quickly. Medium volume they weren't. I assume that you have to set the pre-graphic EQ bass level very low, to keep it from sounding farty, when you up the gain and the volume? I used to have to do that with my .50 Cal, and to a lesser extent, my DC-3.

Before I forget - a dumb question from me? I assume you know how to deal with tube circuits and their high voltages? I'm just asking, since as a person with an electronics background (electronics courses in college for Engineering Degree #1, and a Ham Radio license since I was a teenager [I also restore vintage tube ham radio gear, when I have the time and the energy - some of the old tube radio gear run the finals at over 900 volts on the plates]), I worry about people getting zapped by the plate capacitors, or plate voltages if the circuit is energized (I know a couple of ham radio operators, who got a little sloppy while working on tube gear, and almost got killed because of it).

Your spot on on the loudness and the flabby bass. I was just reading about the pros and cons of the old MK l's
and possible mods. I'll find a good tube compliment that gets me where things are pretty good and start trying things from there.

Thanks for the reminder...I'm not a newbie , but I'm still on the initial learning curve if that makes sense . (one hand behind the back or in a pocket!)
I'll doublecheck the filter caps after draining...etc.
The tubes look ok visually ( I was hoping for a burnt spot on one) so I'm doing going one by one with 12ax7's I know are good. Then maybe I'll try some 12at7's or 12ay7's to see if things get happier.

Any guidance or advice is welcome. Thanks again!!

Did you see the snakeskin combo last month on ebay? #002 of the combo's I think it was (#001 was never really completed if I remember right )
I'm a lucky guy who has a snakeskin Bass 130...no dirt ( I've never turned it past 3 or 4...there might be some power tube crunch I haven't experienced yet), but amazing cleans and loads of power.

Back to the tubes,
elwood

Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:33 pm

darwinohm wrote:Yessir, definitely cool amps. I have my little Valve Train that I don't remove from the house as I wouldn't want to damage it. Cool photos Elwood.

Your mystery item looks like something you could use to persuade people who are not agreeable. Looks like something made from glass insulators.-- Darwin

Well, in the 30+ years it's been a fixture in my living rooms...only two people have been bit.
I told them not to play with fire !! No loose teeth or darkened nails , but I heard a little yelp from the
other room when my buddy got Zapped.
(he was poking little holes in a piece of paper with the spark).

Safety first!!

be safe..have fun...rock on good buddy,
elwood

Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:01 pm

Elwood wrote:
ellengtrgrl wrote:Oooh VERY cool later Mk1 Boogie 8-) I used to have a .50 Caliber, and a DC3. Both were great amps, but they got loud quickly. Medium volume they weren't. I assume that you have to set the pre-graphic EQ bass level very low, to keep it from sounding farty, when you up the gain and the volume? I used to have to do that with my .50 Cal, and to a lesser extent, my DC-3.

Your spot on on the loudness and the flabby bass. I was just reading about the pros and cons of the old MK l's
and possible mods. I'll find a good tube compliment that gets me where things are pretty good and start trying things from there.

Thanks for the reminder...I'm not a newbie , but I'm still on the initial learning curve if that makes sense . (one hand behind the back or in a pocket!)
The tubes look ok visually ( I was hoping for a burnt spot on one) so I'm doing going one by one with 12ax7's I know are good. Then maybe I'll try some 12at7's or 12ay7's to see if things get happier.

Did you see the snakeskin combo last month on ebay? #002 of the combo's I think it was (#001 was never really completed if I remember right )
I'm a lucky guy who has a snakeskin Bass 130...no dirt ( I've never turned it past 3 or 4...there might be some power tube crunch I haven't experienced yet), but amazing cleans and loads of power.

Back to the tubes,
elwood

get a tube tester. a 12au7 will give you more headroom, a 12ay7 or 12az7 will give you earlier breakup.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:30 pm

louis cyfer wrote:
get a tube tester. a 12au7 will give you more headroom, a 12ay7 or 12az7 will give you earlier breakup.

Thanks, I was looking at what the local craigslist had to offer yesterday.
I'm looking at 25-30 12**7's right now, should be an interesting evening (they usually are).
Until I get a tester I'll just have to wing ed.

I have some new matched mesa tubes sets so the power section should be balanced .

elwood

Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:46 pm

louis cyfer wrote:
Elwood wrote:

Back to the tubes,
elwood

Nope, out of that whole twin triode series of tubes, the 12AX7 is the highest gain of the bunch. Check the RCA tube data sheets. It's amplification factor is 100, whereas the 12AY7 has an amplification factor of 44, and the 12AZ7 gain factor is 60. If you want more dirt, use a 12AX7, or a 7025 (the industrial grade version of the 12AX7, that is slightly lower in noise).

Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:12 pm

ellengtrgrl wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:
Elwood wrote:

Back to the tubes,
elwood

Nope, out of that whole twin triode series of tubes, the 12AX7 is the highest gain of the bunch. Check the RCA tube data sheets. It's amplification factor is 100, whereas the 12AY7 has an amplification factor of 44, and the 12AZ7 gain factor is 60. If you want more dirt, use a 12AX7, or a 7025 (the industrial grade version of the 12AX7, that is slightly lower in noise).

i was just going by what i heard when i plugged them in. i have checked all of those in the same amp. i may have been trying with a bad 12ax7 then.