JUNE 17 LUNCH RePoRt -ITS Monday!!

Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:51 am

Lunch- I work a late shift today so lunch may not be until 5 p.m. (East coast USA time)
It may be shrimp and brocolli from a local Hunan Chinese restaurant.

Today's topic: What is the coolest place that you have played?
My band, Capital Blues Ensemble, has been hired multiple times to play at a restaurant. club in Old Town Alexandria, VA called the 219 club.
This place has a cigar bar on their 2nd floor that features 200 different kinds of whiskey and sells expensive cigars for patrons to smoke while we play.
It has been a very receptive audience the three times we have played there since May 9 and they have a built in crowd.
Meaning that the band doesn't have to bring a crowd with them.
Its nice not to have to worry about how many people are coming to hear us play.

G&L question- How many people have old G&Ls with the lacquer finish that picks up the color of the case lining or imprints occur in the finish where the guitar or bass contacts the case lining?

I have a couple of L-1000s that have this condition all over.

Any finish experts that can tell me how to repair this without refinishing?

Comment as you see fit.

Thanks,
bassman

Re: JUNE 17 LUNCH RePoRt -ITS Monday!!

Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:02 pm

Sounds like a cool bar, bassman. The coolest place I've played is a dirty little bar in inner city Melbourne called Cherry Bar, on a street called AC/DC lane. It's the same deal there - built in crowd. Ironically, a housing tower went in next door and a lot of the residents complained about the noise!I don't know what they were expecting moving to AC/DC lane?!?!?

Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:04 pm

Hey Bassman

There is a cool club in my town that bands are lined up to play.... I have been playing in town for 13 years and up until 2 years ago could never get in. We have been playing there pretty steadily (once every 2 months) until we changed singers a few months back. Since then we have been booked there almost every weekend! We are there again this week for the 5th time in 6 weeks :D In house sound + sound man, great crowd and its the in place to go - so there are always new people to play to. Loads of fun.

Hope you get some answers to your finish problem

Scott

Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:39 pm

Bill, Our most fun gig recently was a corparate gig, outdoors in Northern Minnesota, a month ago. We had 6500 people and it was fantastic. It is fun when you have that many people.

The discoloration you are talking about is common. There is no reversing it. I had a 67 Fender White Mustang bass that turned almost orange from the case. It was cool and I got a premium price for in the end as it was pristine but slightly orange. I wouldn't worry about it. What better mojo could you ask for and a lot of guys mention mojo. I recently prepared 1979 Fender aniv. model for sale and it had the dark stripes from a stand. It is permanent. -- Darwin

Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:19 pm

My favorite venue was a very old church in Covington Kentucky that had been converted to a small concert space. It was a pain getting equipment up to the third floor (especially since I was playing the upright bass), but the stage was in front of a huge stained glass window. I loved playing when there was still sunlight coming through. The acoustics in that place were amazing.

None of my older G&Ls have been discolored by their cases, but three of them have marks from guitar stands.

Ken

Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:45 am

I got to play a Seattle Center Stage at bumpershoot one year, for about 15 sec :o ...and got about 1000 people cheering...that was fun !!
I was watching the Posies and the guitarist handed his guitar to the front row moshers, after a couple fans just blindly strummed the open strings I used my long arms and grabbed the ax (Es135, maybe an epi)...played some
licks (glad the band was in E) and ended with a high trill....tossed the guitar back on stage right to the hands of
the owner.

The interceptor bass that I had and is now Ken's comes to mind.
I have an early F-100 that must have had duct tape residue soaking in since the 80's,
It took alot of elbow grease and a paper bag ( thanks Fred! ) to get it untacky and somewhat polished.

Was tuesday busy for ya Bill? (I kept looking for your LR)

elwood

Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:51 am

Elwood wrote:I got to play a Seattle Center Stage at bumpershoot one year, for about 15 sec :o ...and got about 1000 people cheering...that was fun !!
I was watching the Posies and the guitarist handed his guitar to the front row moshers, after a couple fans just blindly strummed the open strings I used my long arms and grabbed the ax (Es135, maybe an epi)...played some
licks (glad the band was in E) and ended with a high trill....tossed the guitar back on stage right to the hands of
the owner.

I have an early F-100 that must have had duct tape residue soaking in since the 80's,
It took alot of elbow grease and a paper bag ( thanks Fred! ) to get it untacky and somewhat polished.

elwood

it's open mic?

Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:41 am

louis cyfer wrote:
Elwood wrote:I got to play a Seattle Center Stage at bumpershoot one year, for about 15 sec :o ...and got about 1000 people cheering...that was fun !!
the owner.

elwood

it's open mic?

Yes, it is, see Announcements: Lunch Reporter June 17-21, 2013: Open Mic!!!

:ugeek:

Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:53 pm

thanks guys, I missed that.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:30 am

Hey Bassman,
I have an Interceptor guitar got dimples from a soft guitar case. My tech said it away just the top coat and should come out in time. it was during an Australian summer and I blame the high heat and humidy .
Anthony