Tuesday Lunch Report: 11 June 2013

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:15 am

Hotdogs again for lunch. It turns out the Costco hotdogs are not as unhealthy as I thought, so I've removed my once-a-week restriction to protect my innards from cancer or something horrible like that. I like to eat the pile of sauerkraut with a fork like a kind of side dish. An American co-worker said this was a very Japanese way of eating a hotdog (because Japanese meals often include a side of pickles or tsukemono) ignoring the little mound of kraut next to a plate of sausage when we get when we go out for beers in European style pubs. Regardless of what other people think is the proper way to eat sauerkraut and hotdogs, I find that eat lots of kraut separately is both delicious and healthy.

Anway, while I was replacing the pickups in my Legacy over the weekend, I made two minor discoveries:

1. It's easier to remove a strat pickguard if you remove all the components first. DUH, right? This is terrible for the strings, especially with locking tuners. It makes me long for a tele or Les Paul to mod.

Am I the only one who loosens the strings with the whammy bar and yanks on them, bending the pickguard so the switch and pots clear the edge of cavity to slide it out?

2. The brown gunk holding the shield plate to the bottom of the cavity is NOT wood putty. The shielding in my Legacy came loose, and so I decided to chip the brown gunk out with a flat-head screwdriver, and then apply a fresh blob of wood putty to reaffix it. This was a complete failure.

Am I the only G&L owner who's had this problem, and what is that brown stain? (see below) And if you go to the trouble of fixing it, would you add better shielding while you were at it?

Re: Tuesday Lunch Report: 11 June 2013

Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:12 am

change the strings when you work on the electronics. much easier. that spot is some copper stuck to the paint. earthquake putty works great to hold the shielding to the bottom of the cavity.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:33 am

Thanks again, Louis. Just read your thread on copper shielding.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:32 pm

Hey Greenblues,

I will say that i have partaken in the Costco hotdog.... It is quite tasty!

Like Louis, any time the pick guard comes off I have always changed the strings.... So much easier :)

Have a good one
Scott

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:03 pm

GB, I usually have a polish hot dog when I go to Sams Club. They are quite good (Nathans) and almost a meal in itself. If I am starved, I have two.

I remove the strings on Legacys but many of the Asats have body mounted pickups which makes it easy to remove the pickguard. I have many guitars with locking tuners and am able to reconnect the old strings. If I do not have locking tuners, I usually replace the strings. My Grosh T has holes in the pickguard to adjust the neck pickup. That is kind of nice. I have not removed any Legacy shielding to see the stain that you mentioned today.-- Darwin