Re: Friday June 7th --- Lunch Report

Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:25 pm

I'd have to say that I'm a brazillian rosewood fan for acoustics. The 60's Martins with BRW sound so much better than the IRW version. An Adi top makes a big difference too. Madagascar is real close to BRW; I also like koa and mahogany. I love guitars with BRW fingerboards, maybe even better than ebony.

I don't have a big preference in solidbodies, though weight can be a factor. I have both ash and alder G&Ls. And it is hard to argue with the construction of a Les Paul.

I love breakfast. Eggs Benedict are a favorite but it is hard to find them done properly. My other fav is french toast. Definitely not diet food.

Bill

Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:36 pm

Hey Tim - Thanks for stepping up.

Congratulations on your "little" girl's matriculation. We got my oldest boy's next Wednesday - he's going from elementary to middle school. I agree with you. It seems like only yesterday.......

And indeed, breakfast/brunch is my favorite meal by far. Throw a little bit of everything on my plate, thanks.
Scrambled eggs, pancakes, bacon, sausage, hash brown potatoes. Let's wash it down with real orange juice and good coffee. What could be better?

Insofar as tone woods are concerned, once again I agree with you on maple with MFDs. Clearly, a match made in heaven. I do like alder a lot (featured on my Bluesboy and my Legacy). I also have a thing for Korina with set-neck humbucker-equipped instruments - though maple-capped mahogany works for me too.

Have a great evening! - ed

Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:57 pm

Hey Tim, great story about you and G. I'd love to have seen that guitar. Thanks to you both for giving us the Bluesboy :thumbup:

Fave breakfast is avocado on toast with sea salt flakes, pepper and fresh lemon juice. My girlfriend made it for me this morning, its nice and easy so she can't <censored word> it up :scared0016:

Fave tonewood is plain alder. The two G&Ls I have made with it are my best sounding, I guess that's why its so commonly used. Korina is dead good too. I'd really like to try one of the early, maple bodied G&Ls, but don't like the chances of finding one around here.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:32 pm

Good lunch report Tim !! ..... I don't have anything too add , I don't have any two guitars simular with just different wood but I'll take your guy's word any day of the week !!

Eric

Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:30 am

Hey Tim,

My Fav breakfast would have to be the classic diner special.... Two eggs, home fries, bacon and toast.. ummm

For tone woods, my G&L's include Mahogany, Ash and Alder... 7 Ash, 2 Mahogany 1 Alder. I would say that i am certainly and ASHman ;) I have not been lucky enough to try a maple G&L, but from what i understand it is a special combo with the MFD's.... someday!

Have a great weekend everyone,

Scott

Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:09 pm

i am generally an ashman, but currently my two favorites are alder and cypress.

Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:31 am

Tim, good sausage gravy and biscuits are a favorite of mine.

I have always thought that G&L used some of the nicest woods I have seen for production guitars. Their swamp ash is always beautiful. However, I have become mush fonder of lighter weight guitars. For body woods, I really like Pine and Eq Mah for the weight. For looks, I prefer flamed maple tops. I also have a Spalted Maple top which is pretty. I really have no preference for woods for tone.-- Darwin

Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:09 pm

Hey Tim,
yes , wood counts. I have an early maple Interceptor that resonates incredibly . The tone counts more than the looks that's why they painted Broadcasters black. But i reallyy like George and your idea.In fact I cranked my B'caster into my 62 Blonde Bassman last night and it sounded mighty .
I used to be an Ashman but that got turned on its head when I picked up my 82 Mahogany S-500.
I can't say what's my favourite tonewood just like I can't saw who is my favourite girlfriend .
Anthony