Lunch 5-31-13

Fri May 31, 2013 7:16 pm

Hi guy's its getting kinda late thought I better throw a report in ... we had Wendy's today , single cheeseburger deluxe and fries , not too exciting but it temporarly cured hunger for a couple guy's

Looks like I'm getting a 2006 Comanche next week off the local CL and my SC2 should be getting close to being done !! ... the Comanche is candy apple red with rosewood finger board and a white pearloid PG , been wanting some z-coils and this kinda just came up .... what G & L guitars are you gassing for or have on order ??

amp tubes is the non G & L topic .... how often do you guy's change tubes in your amps ??..... do they sound different when they get a lot of hours on them ?? ..... bought a used Peavey Classic 30 three or four months ago , its a 2003 model and my first tube amp , didn't know if theres anything I should be doing to it

Re: Lunch 5-31-13

Fri May 31, 2013 7:34 pm

That comanche sounds great! I have an LB-100 on order in satin Fullerton red, rosewood board, tort guard. Really looking forward to receiving it. I went for a safe, classic look this time. Only other thing I'd like is an SC1.

I only change tubes when they go bad. The set I'm on now have been in about 18 months with no problems. If that Peavey is working then I see no reason to mess with it!

Fri May 31, 2013 9:30 pm

I wasn't planning on buying another guitar so quick , but it been on CL for a couple months next town south of me , his asking price is based on good condition but the guitar is mint other than missing the paper work , thought I would go ahead and snag it , there's no surprises with candy apple red finish

I need to learn some of the amp talk better like pushing the tubes , how do you overdrive the amp and stuff like that , I'm new to tubes , hopefully I will get a little time to be able to make the tubes scream this weekend :)

Fri May 31, 2013 9:51 pm

Hey !
I was planning to buy a new guitar since last september. I really wanted to go high-end this time ( think about Tom Anderson, Suhr, PRS... To name a few). I tried a LOT of guitar and ended up buying the S-500 deluxe prototype that's on the G&L website. It will, hopefully arrive today :shocked003:

I just changed the tube a couple of months ago on my Boogie, with one of the full retube kit of Eurotubes, I'm am really pleased with the results.
And yes, the sound change with the tubes growing older : you lose lots of high end definition, lots of dynamics, and closer to the end, you may encounter hiss, or massive noise.

Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:14 am

your new guitar is sweet !! I keep finding my self buying more G & L's and I still want a Leo era ......

I bought my amp used and its a 2003 model so maybe I should throw a new set of tubes in and save the old ones just in case .... are all tubes the same or should I stick with Peavey's or another brand ??

Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:26 am

Go there, you have a lot of advice concerning tubes...
https://www.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_submenu&category_id=8

You absolutely don't have to stick with peavey's tubes, they're certainly sovtek or chinese groove tubes

Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:49 pm

> what G & L guitars are you gassing for

Same as always, a mahogany bodied L1000.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:24 pm

I'm lusting for a Will Ray

As far as tubes I say if it ain't broke don't fix it.If you like how your amp sounds and performs leave it alone if you don't start changing things.

Willy

Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:52 pm

I would love to see a WR in person !! ... I'm not quite sure how the B bender works (B string whammy hip button?) or how/when its used but looks cool as heck

I bought the amp used so I probably wouldn't mind putting some tubes in it just to see if it sounds different plus I don't know if they ever have been replaced before , maybe a new set of JJ's wouldn't hurt anything ?

Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:07 pm

my next guitar will be a simple legacy... don't care about colour...

preamp valves can last a very looooooong time... about power amp valves it depends on the time you spend on your amp, but i agree with the others : change them when a problem occurs or when you don't like the sound anymore...

in fact i change amps more often than valves...

i don't know if i have a long enough experience with same amp/tubes to have a valuable opinion about this... the amp i kept the longer is a jcm800 (2204) and my impression is that the tonal difference between cold and warm amp is decreasing with time... when i light up the jcm, the sound tend to be too "trebly" then it becomes more equilibrate after a few minutes... anyway...

if i had to give one advice it will be : mix preamp tubes ! put the most equilibrate and noiseless one in V1 and in the output one and mix brands and specs... it's the best way to have a full and rich sound... i hear sometimes "i want a bump in the mids" or "i want a scooped tone" "what tubes are made for this ?"... to me this is non-sense, pots are not made to look nice, the fuller your sound is the more accurate the pots are...

Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:43 am

FF, just back again and I am not lusting for anything at the moment. I just looked at two Korina models last week and they were very nice but not a must have.

As for tubes, I replace them when I notice a problem. Sometimes they develop noise or a drop in volume (gain) and them I replace them. I usually replace the output tubes with matched sets.-- Darwin