5-24-13 Lunch time report

Fri May 24, 2013 8:38 am

Today we had Lasagna with garlic toast and salid with ranch dressing……I was stuffed and couldn’t eat the salid , it was good

The G & L topic for the day is Z coils ….. what was the purpose of the design ??... in what ways are they better than standard type coils ??.... I read Will’s post awhile back about “they are like a bucking bronco , you get kicked off a few times but if you get back on you will be rewarded with a nice ride” and how you have to tune your amp different for Z coil’s , you guy’s with Z coils are they your favorite guitar ?? is the Z coil the last pick up coil Leo designed ??

Today’s slightly off topic is how do you store your guitar when not playing ??..... I like to leave mine on the stand to gaze at them when not in use ….sounds stupid but I like looking at them but not sure if this is a good thing to do or if it could hurt the neck … so should I leave them in the case or does it not hurt anything leaving them out on the stand ? One last question , what do you guy’s use to clean rosewood fingerboard ?? …. Seems like my new Legacy getting a blue-ish white haze in some area’s

I’ll leave you with one last photo , jam session is lot more fun when one of your best Buddy’s is hanging out with you

Its been a fun week , hope you guy’s have a good and safe memorial day weekend , Eric

Re: 5-24-13 Lunch time report

Fri May 24, 2013 10:24 am

Never played the Z coils, so I cannot chime in.

For a rosewood board you can use the standard 'lemon oil', which is just mineral oil with lemon scent. That doesn't penetrate very well though, and will clean it, but leave it quite dry looking after a day or 2. I have found 'fret doctor' bore oil to be quite nice. Keeps the boards looking good, and smells great.

I keep my instruments in the cases most of the time, as although my dog is usually careful about not hurling his 6" plastic ball into them, he can get out of hand from time to time. That and the guitars need less adjustment if I don't keep them out at hand. Cleaner, no associated risks, and easily not taking up too much space. I don't spend hours staring at my guitars as I have seen them all before :lol:, and strongly disagree with the 'art value' a guitar has. Not saying they don't look cool, but they are tools first and foremost.

The large cup of coffee I am brewing will be an integral part of lunch

Fri May 24, 2013 2:01 pm

Hey Eric,

I have 1 guitar with the Z's - a semi hollow comanche. The Z coils are basically the s-500 pickup spilt apart to make them noiseless (like a hum bucker) Personally i find them very close tonally to the s-500 pickups... they are very articulate. Every little nuance of your playing will come out whether it be good or bad ;)

Here is a shot of the guitars when they aren't being played.....
sirmyghin wrote:and strongly disagree with the 'art value' a guitar has
Sirmy, they have a little bit of art value...no? Too me they absolutely do, and i agree they are tools of expression (and tools of income) first and foremost, but they are damn sexy tools at that!

Scott

Fri May 24, 2013 2:40 pm

I've had a Comanche Studio 6 for nearly 6 years, and it is has been my primary axe. I love the Z coil's clarity and lack of hum. It's been said before, but the Z-loaded Comanche is super flexible: Strat-like tones, Tele-like tones, 335-like tones, plus it's own voice. Add the six-swtich combinations and it's even better! Definitely a small learning curve---I remember a few years back getting raging squeals from my Mesa V-Twin pedal when I kicked it on for a solo---probably a microphonic 12AX7 tube, though I spoiled the experiment when I also adjusted the pups closer to the strings (per G&L MFD set up specs). They lost a little sparkle and air, but that problem hasn't repeated. Kudos to Boogie Bill for his "Comanche for Dummies." :thumbup:

On the amp, I generally reduce the treble a little more than for another guitar, and play around with the mids to affect the tone I'm after (more mids for faux 335, for example).

That said, the band I've been with since last summer finds me playing my ASAT Jr. most of the time, and through my long-time (33 years!) Ampeg Reverberocket 2 rather than my favorite Music Man RD. The Jr.'s overwound MFDs hit the Ampeg harder than the Zs and make it overdrive sooner (read: not as LOUD) in the best way. The Jr. just kills for the type of riff-based originals we're playing. I find that the enhanced clarity of the Zs requires higher settings of dirt on the Tim pedal and the old DS-1 than I use for the ASAT (or my Les Paul). But I'll use both G&Ls for our CD release show next week!!

Fri May 24, 2013 3:04 pm

tomanche wrote:I've had a Comanche Studio 6 for nearly 6 years, and it is has been my primary axe. I love the Z coil's clarity and lack of hum. It's been said before, but the Z-loaded Comanche is super flexible: Strat-like tones, Tele-like tones, 335-like tones, plus it's own voice. Add the six-swtich combinations and it's even better! Definitely a small learning curve---I remember a few years back getting raging squeals from my Mesa V-Twin pedal when I kicked it on for a solo---probably a microphonic 12AX7 tube, though I spoiled the experiment when I also adjusted the pups closer to the strings (per G&L MFD set up specs). They lost a little sparkle and air, but that problem hasn't repeated. Kudos to Boogie Bill for his "Comanche for Dummies." :thumbup:

On the amp, I generally reduce the treble a little more than for another guitar, and play around with the mids to affect the tone I'm after (more mids for faux 335, for example).

That said, the band I've been with since last summer finds me playing my ASAT Jr. most of the time, and through my long-time (33 years!) Ampeg Reverberocket 2 rather than my favorite Music Man RD. The Jr.'s overwound MFDs hit the Ampeg harder than the Zs and make it overdrive sooner (read: not as LOUD) in the best way. The Jr. just kills for the type of riff-based originals we're playing. I find that the enhanced clarity of the Zs requires higher settings of dirt on the Tim pedal and the old DS-1 than I use for the ASAT (or my Les Paul). But I'll use both G&Ls for our CD release show next week!!

they made reverberocket II's in 1980? i was not aware of that. i have a 67 reverberocket II, and a reissue from 94 when they re-released them.

Fri May 24, 2013 4:45 pm

Eric,

Thanks for a great week of LRs. I've been too wiped out to post most evenings, but I've enjoyed reading them and following the discussions.

I usually keep one go-to guitar or bass on a stand in my "music room". It's safely out of the way of pets or children running through the house. The others are in cases. Most are in a closet, but a couple are scattered around. I usually have one within reach of anyplace I might spend time sitting (bedroom, living room, etc.).

I've used lemon oil on rosewood and ebony boards in the distant past, but the only lemon oil products I've seen in the past couple of years have really been mineral oil with some solvents and a lemon scent added. These days my preference by far is walnut oil. You can find it in most supermarkets, in with the gourmet salad dressings. It does a great job of protecting the wood, without any chemicals and with no residue. I clean the board first with rubbing alcohol (and a toothbrush if needed). Then I wipe on a thick coat of walnut oil. After about five minutes I put a little bit more on anywhere that has completely soaked the oil in. I keep doing this until the dry spots have had their fill, and then I buff it off with a clean cotton rag (a bit of an old t-shirt). I've been doing this with all of my new acquisitions for the past 18 months or so. One treatment seems to last at least a year for me. The oil cost about $10, but I'm still on the first bottle after almost a dozen guitars and basses. It darkens the old unstained ebony boards up very nicely, and really makes rosewood glow.

Ken

Fri May 24, 2013 5:18 pm

gitman001 wrote:Too me they absolutely do, and i agree they are tools of expression (and tools of income) first and foremost, but they are damn sexy tools at that!

+1. If visual appeal didn't come into it we'd all be playing Steinbergers.

Fri May 24, 2013 6:18 pm

^^ Steinbergers I am sure are awesome, but my next acquisition is probably one of these.

Look neat, headless, compact enough to travel easily, and very ergonomic.

On that note I would never get caught with 4 of the same guitar in different colours. The differences once you get everything rolling are small enough as it is, if you choose to let it.

Fri May 24, 2013 6:51 pm

sirmyghin wrote:On that note I would never get caught with 4 of the same guitar in different colours. The differences once you get everything rolling are small enough as it is, if you choose to let it.

But you NEED different colours to match whatever you're wearing :mrgreen:

Fri May 24, 2013 7:44 pm

I hear you have much better mid range if that is the case.

Fri May 24, 2013 8:32 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:
sirmyghin wrote:On that note I would never get caught with 4 of the same guitar in different colours. The differences once you get everything rolling are small enough as it is, if you choose to let it.

But you NEED different colours to match whatever you're wearing :mrgreen:

What to sling if you're Nearly Naked? Hmmmmm......

Enjoy the weekend folks. Great week. Thanks! - ed

PS: Never tried Z-Coils, but hope to one day. I understand that they are articulate. Alas, I am not. What to do, what to do...????

Fri May 24, 2013 9:01 pm

hoping to try some Z coils soon permanetly :) ..... I play my guitars every night , I just haven't put them back in the case yet ..... I'm sure I'm not good enough now for Z coils if they are articulate , but I do play/practice clean and I'm getting better every week so sooner or later maybe they'll sound good :roll:

thanks for the replies , its been fun doing the LR , love my login in yellow ..lol ... first time LR is intimidating !!, I thought of some good topics a few weeks ago , but when you get down to time to do it I went blank .... glad I followed the advice on writing up in advance , the tips were very helpful , I won't be so nervous next time , I'm sure this won't be my last LR

Eric

Fri May 24, 2013 9:26 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:hoping to try some Z coils soon permanetly :) ..... I play my guitars every night , I just haven't put them back in the case yet ..... I'm sure I'm not good enough now for Z coils if they are articulate , but I do play/practice clean and I'm getting better every week so sooner or later maybe they'll sound good :roll:

thanks for the replies , its been fun doing the LR , love my login in yellow ..lol ... first time LR is intimidating !!, I thought of some good topics a few weeks ago , but when you get down to time to do it I went blank .... glad I followed the advice on writing up in advance , the tips were very helpful , I won't be so nervous next time , I'm sure this won't be my last LR

Eric

Great job this week, Eric! :thumbup:

Sure wish some more new members will sign up. I've posted calls for Lunch Reporter through August and
we currently only have July 1-5 taken (Thanks blargfromouterspace). Next week is open and if there is no
taker, we revert to Open Mic ( :silent: ).

:ugeek:

Fri May 24, 2013 9:30 pm

louis cyfer wrote:
tomanche wrote:... through my long-time (33 years!) Ampeg Reverberocket 2 ...

they made reverberocket II's in 1980? i was not aware of that. i have a 67 reverberocket II, and a reissue from 94 when they re-released them.

Pardon my incoherence. I've had it since 1980, but it's from 66 or 67. You are correct---they weren't being made by 1980.

Sat May 25, 2013 11:31 am

Z-coils work stunningly for me.
I was a bit daunted by them (in my WR Asat) initially, but once I'd got my ears and fingers a bit better connected, there was nothing but good. I'd spent a very long time (several decades) playing all the usuals. But if I have to pick one guitar that I feel happiest with, it's the WR now.
I don't know for sure, but I believe that the Z-coil was CLF's last design that made to production. I like to think that he always carried the P-Bass concept in his mind with a view to implementing it on a guitar, and finally got it very right.
Strongly agree with the recommendation for bore oil, rather than mineral oils.
Rosewood is great stuff for fingerboards, it quite likes human contact, and occasional bore oil. Not degreasing with solvents, not flooding with oils, just a little occasional anointing. It's strong and springy and makes for good sustain and good fret seating.

Sat May 25, 2013 3:43 pm

I thought I read on here that the Z coils were Leo's last design , but I couldn't find it anywhere

are you guy's doing the oil treatment with the strings on ???

those stranberg guitars look like they would be hard to play , I'd hate to get into a scuffle with the guy that can hit a barr chord on one of those things :)

thanks , Eric

Sat May 25, 2013 10:07 pm

Are you guy's doing the oil treatment with the strings on ???

It's probably best to do it with the strings off. If you're used to changing your strings one at a time, take them all off when you decide to oil your board. Once again, this is not for maple boards as they are varnished--only for rosewood/ebony as the wood is not sealed and will dry out over time.

Sat May 25, 2013 10:31 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:I thought I read on here that the Z coils were Leo's last design , but I couldn't find it anywhere

are you guy's doing the oil treatment with the strings on ???

those stranberg guitars look like they would be hard to play , I'd hate to get into a scuffle with the guy that can hit a barr chord on one of those things :)

thanks , Eric

Quite the opposite, the body is designed to perch on your leg (either one actually), and the frets have a very slight fan, not to augment scale specifically, but to follow the motion of your hands through the arc.

As far as barre chords go, I don't really use them, far too blocky for what I have in mind, most of the time. They don't facilitate moving lines well, and require all too much movement. An 8 string guitar still has a smaller neck than a 6 string bass, too. Not gearing for 8 myself, but would likely go 7, nothing necessary but always nice to have.

The prime motivator is I want it for my site trips, it would travel easily. The problem with Steinbergers, to me, is not the aesthetic, it is the body shape, I find smaller bodies to be quite uncomfortable for long practice, they never hang right and don't give you anywhere to rest, even lightly. That is the problem I have with my current travel guitar, and the reason I will be carting a carvin to site for the upcoming job, particularly if I can store it there for the projects duration.

Sun May 26, 2013 3:28 am

I finally got a night off able to spend a little time with the laptop.
I have a Will Ray tribute I love the z coils they work for me. they have the right everything and are quiet. My next G&l will have Z coils. I have
a few Guitars but find myself playing the Will Ray more than the others. Don't know if it's the z coils or the hipshot b bender.

I leave my guitars in there stands when not playing. Its a pain to get them out of a case when ever you want to play.

I clean my fingerboards every 10 years no matter if they need it or not. When I do I use lemon oil

Sun May 26, 2013 4:39 am

Fumble fingers wrote:The G & L topic for the day is Z coils …..I read Will’s post awhile back about “they are like a bucking bronco , you get kicked off a few times but if you get back on you will be rewarded with a nice ride” and how you have to tune your amp different for Z coil’s , you guy’s with Z coils are they your favorite guitar ?? is the Z coil the last pick up coil Leo designed ??

I still stand by that comment of mine, although it might scare some guys away from Z coils.

The main reason they're so nice is that they're dead quiet. Sometimes in between songs I have to double check my volume control to make sure it's on. What that means is that you can use distortion & overdrive pedals without fear of noise being multiplied by the pedal circuits. And forget those nightmare gigs with bad, noisy club wiring.

Will

Sun May 26, 2013 6:57 pm

sweet !! ..... I have a feeling I'm going to own the candy apple red Comanche in the first pict soon :)

Sun May 26, 2013 9:31 pm

thanks for the interesting week eric. enjoyed it.

Mon May 27, 2013 12:18 pm

thanks Louis , I'm just a home player and I was hoping it wouldn't be too boring for you musican's ..... I'm totally happy just listening to you guy's post !!

I brought this back to the top on the discussing page of "Comanche problem" but probably should of just asked here on the Z coil LR , anyway do you guy's recomend using compressor stomp box with the Z coils ?

thanks again , it was a fun week and look foward to doing it again

Eric

Mon May 27, 2013 4:17 pm

Eric, I have been gone for several days but did enjoy your reports very much last week. I really enjoy when new members jump in as they always have some new things to lay on us!

I do have two ASAT Z-3s and they are great guitars. If you ever have a chance to play one, you should jump on it.

There are a lot of different opinions on this forum of the art value of guitars. That is my first consideration when buying a guitar and if it passes the wow test it is then further examined. I have purchased many without plugging them in. I have not been disappointed yet. In my book they are the best that art has to offer. Here are a couple of non current photos of how Ginny and I store them. Thanks for the fun week!-- Darwin