5-23-13 Lunch report

Thu May 23, 2013 9:26 am

Today we had Arby’s , one of my employee’s girl friend was near a Arby’s around lunch time so she picked it up for us , had a Angus sub with bacon and a curly frie …. I seldom eat breakfast , just get up and go to work so just two meals a day for me , if I have breakfast it will be on the weekend

The G & L topic for the day will be finish and sound …. I don’t have two guitars that are the same with finish differences so I have no input …question is …. How much difference in sound between the finish providing the wood and neck is the same ? Will big metal flake really sound different than say a Honeyburst ?? Will it sound different plugged in to a amp ?? …. Does it take a very good ear to tell the difference ?

My non G & L topic is …. Cables or wireless ??..... always had cables but sometimes wireless sounds like it might be a good idea , it would be nice not having cables get caught on stuff and stepping on wires , or is it a pain in the azz getting wireless to working right … does wireless have a electronic delay compared to cables ?? … what do you guy’s think of wireless remote ?

I’ll leave you with a photo of my little world , I have my computer , guitars and headphones hooked directly to the Line 6 floor pod plus , I’ll practice for hours , my wife will either Knit or Croechet (sp?) a blanket for the grand kids or watch TV ... this is where I was sitting when I got the woodpecker pictures on my first lunch report
in the bottom pict below the table next to my sofa is my Peavey Classic 30 , it has the cover on in the pict , so I pretty much have it all right there , but I usually only turn the amp on when I'm by myself .....

Hope you guy’s have a good day , Eric
Last edited by Fumble fingers on Thu May 23, 2013 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: 5-23-13 Lunch report

Thu May 23, 2013 10:11 am

Hey Eric,

Good stuff this week, I wish i had a bit more time to stop by.... As far as finish and tone - I have a ASAT special (tobacco burst) and an ASAT special (red metal flake). I am pretty sure that I would not be able to tell the 2 apart, unplugged or plugged in, in a blind test. I was just playing both of them and I think it was more my eyes telling my ears there was something different. If there really is a difference it is very, very subtle.

I have never been a wireless guy, probably because of my hate of the 9v battery! The places that i gig are all fairly small so the cables in the way thing is not usually that much of an issue. Recently i was reading about the line 6 wireless, it sounds like it works well... But i'd rather put that kinda $$ towards another G&L!

Nice setup you've got there - and that Legacy is smokin'. :happy0065:

Scott

Thu May 23, 2013 10:52 am

thanks , Lunch report is intimdating once it comes time to do it .... hopefully I'll do a little better next time around ......

so I guess wireless ends up being 9V battery dependent , does it give any warning or just shut off ??

Thu May 23, 2013 11:09 am

i have a line6 g30 and i love it. it uses an aa battery and it sounds every bit as good as a cable. you can even choose what length cable you want it to sound like. the lights on the transmitter and the receiver let you know if the battery is getting low.

Thu May 23, 2013 11:51 am

The G & L topic for the day will be finish and sound …. I don’t have two guitars that are the same with finish differences so I have no input …question is …. How much difference in sound between the finish providing the wood and neck is the same ? Will big metal flake really sound different than say a Honeyburst ?? Will it sound different plugged in to a amp ?? …. Does it take a very good ear to tell the difference ?

In my opinion the finish on a solid body electric guitar has as much influence on the sonic characteristics as the material the strap is made of, or the color of the pickguard.

I am sure there are some here who will swear otherwise. There is endless chatter surrounding factors that affect "tone". Some claim to be able to hear the difference between various types of batteries in their pedals. I don't think my 61 year old ears would be able to discern the difference from most of these factors even if they were valid.

My favorite articles regarding these arguments are here:
http://www.ronkirn.com/quest.htm (Be sure to read the paragraphs about blind testing and psychosomatic influences)
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/ ... _tone.html

So many of these discussions get colored by emotion, and common sense goes out the window.

If you really think you can hear the difference from varying finishes, more power to you.

Whatever guitar makes you want to play and practice more will end up sounding better--that's the bottom line. In the immortal words of Frank Zappa "Shut up 'n play yer guitar".

I have no personal experience with cordless setups, but have seen them used countless times and I can see no negative aspects, other than a sudden power failure......(don't get me started ranting about cords/cables)

Thu May 23, 2013 1:08 pm

I don't know about you eddie, but I like a good plush strap as I find it softens up the sounds a fair deal.

The difference in finish is more how it feels on your arm, hand, etc. I don't think you are going to hear a lick of difference in a controlled double blind. At the end of the day if you feel it makes a difference, and you hear it, good on ya and go with your gut, just remember you gut is good at lying. The inherent danger in letting yourself believe all that makes a difference is quite apparent in the never satisfied tone chasers and gear acquisition addicts.

Never bothered with wireless, no need as of yet.

Thu May 23, 2013 1:31 pm

I don't know about you eddie, but I like a good plush strap as I find it softens up the sounds a fair deal.

Well I do get a much "fatter" sound with my 4 inch strap......

Thu May 23, 2013 2:06 pm

That's a nice compact setup you have there. My wife and daughter would complain about the sound of the unamplified guitar if I played while watching television with them, so I do my practicing in my basement studio.

I don't think that you can hear a finish. i do think that you can hear the wood that a guitar body is made of and its influence over the tone of the guitar is all wrapped up within all of the other influences like: strings/ neck/ pickups/ player.

I think the only time a strap affects your tone is when it breaks or disconnects during your performance. That happened to me once and everybody could hear the influence! LOL

Thu May 23, 2013 2:25 pm

I love the purple slippers!

I think you might be able to hear a slight difference between a guitar with a thin nitro finish and a thick poly finish. Which is "better"? I've no idea.

I'm still using cable, but I don't need $500 cables in my rig to sound good.

My bassist uses a wireless, but I don't know the brand. He doesn't sing, so it allows him to walk out and check volume levels and balance.

I am intrigued by the Line 6 that Louis uses. Any downsides, Louis? How long do the batteries las? How long have you had it? How do you use it with a pedalboard?

One thing for me...I'm a singer so I'm kinda tied to the vocal mic. Would love to have a wireless headset mic so I can dance like Bieber...or not. And in ear monitors! Money money money!

Bill

Thu May 23, 2013 4:20 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:I love the purple slippers!

I think you might be able to hear a slight difference between a guitar with a thin nitro finish and a thick poly finish. Which is "better"? I've no idea.

I'm still using cable, but I don't need $500 cables in my rig to sound good.

My bassist uses a wireless, but I don't know the brand. He doesn't sing, so it allows him to walk out and check volume levels and balance.

I am intrigued by the Line 6 that Louis uses. Any downsides, Louis? How long do the batteries las? How long have you had it? How do you use it with a pedalboard?

One thing for me...I'm a singer so I'm kinda tied to the vocal mic. Would love to have a wireless headset mic so I can dance like Bieber...or not. And in ear monitors! Money money money!

Bill

i have had it for years. the receiver fits on the pedal board, size of a single pedal. the batteries last for 8-12 hours, i pay 11 bucks for 36 of them. so cost is not an issue. i have not found a downside yet.

Thu May 23, 2013 7:30 pm

good read Eddie , thanks for the links

Boogie .... she likes them purple booties real well

thanks bassman , the wife is pretty easy going on that stuff , I got lucky I guess

I might have to check out the Line6 G30 , thanks Louis

Thu May 23, 2013 10:36 pm

Thanks, Louis. Good info. Gonna check it out.

Bill