5-22-13 Lunch report

Wed May 22, 2013 7:51 am

Luch report 3

Today we are having Village again , its hard to eat at McDonalds very much and we only have two choices near by , today its 4 piece chicken dinner with mashed potatoes and a salid

Today’s G&L topic ….. ASAT verses Legacy body type …. Remember I’m new to G&L and tele , I’ve had a Epiphone strat type guitar for 26 years …. So I finally decided to get my first REAL new guitar , I was looking at Fender American Standard stratocaster’s when a guy named Justroostin on UG.com started a thread on G&L guitars witch is how I found you guy’s and been a happy G&L’er ever since ….. anyway , I ordered a new Legacy witch I have had for several weeks now but during the wait I purchased a real nice 1998 ASAT classic witch I have had for several months now ….

Witch brings up the topic for today , man I love that ASAT !! … maybe a couple months of getting used to it helped over the couple weeks with the leagcy, but the feel of the ASAT is just sweet , I do like the Legacy but the ASAT really feels comfy now , especially sitting down while playing , the Legacy has a slight advantage while playing standing up , for me the Legacy is easier to see the finger board than the ASAT while standing but the feel of the ASAT is like being home after a long trip ….. maybe the belly and arm cut on a ASAT would let me see the finger board as good as the Legacy while standing ? …. What’s your guy’s take between ASAT/Tele body verses the Strat body style and why ?? … I know its a preference thing but still like to hear your replies …., and I haven’t even got my SC2 yet to “throw” into the mix …lol, its all good , can’t hardy wait anymore for the SC2 with the big MFD’s….. they will all be favorites , just some more favorite than the other … so far I’m really happy with the sound of both guitars , the Classic has it’s own sound and the same with the Legacy , one can’t really replace the other , hopefully the SC2 will have its own sound

Anybody have any hobbies/interest away guitars ??..... I like hot rods and drag racing !! I have raced since late 1979 and raced my two youngest kids in the Junior Dragster league for 10 years (ages 8 to 18 years old), the kids aged out 2011 but we had lots of fun , good memories , met many nice people through racing , it was and still is hard work , even the jr dragsters were hard work , I took drag racing off last year and just hit some local cruise-in deals , I will probably never run a points series again (too much work) but I still want to get my car to the track and make some passes and bang some gears , the older I get the less I want to spend all day at the track during the hot and humid summer months , it kinda seams nice just sitting at home in the A/C playing guitar now days ….

I’ll leave you with a couple picts of the kids racing the jr dragsters
my son at the Indy division 3 bracket finals

his first win

my daughter here in the final

Hope you guy’s have a great day , Eric

Re: 5-22-13 Lunch report

Wed May 22, 2013 10:03 am

i have a few other hobbies/interests.

animal rescue, bodybuilding, muay thai, photography, table tennis, water polo, period costumes (renaissance) , weapons (sword and archery), firearms, motorcycles to name a few.

Wed May 22, 2013 11:04 am

Hi Eric,

My hobbies outside of guitars are reading, pedaling around on my bicycle, wine, and preparing food. Eating it, or going out to restaurants, certainly is a hobby too.

But playing guitar and researching G&L's for my website is my main hobby by far ...

- Jos

Wed May 22, 2013 12:18 pm

Not too many hobbies outside of guitar. I am a bassist, so guitar was a second hobby in and of itself. I occasionally do some serious composing, and I find that takes a lot more time than writing staple rock music. I read a lot of books, listen to a lot of music and weight train. Used to play squash, but don't have an area to play right now (or a partner), and did some archery as a kid, which I plan to revive at some point. At one point I fenced sabre, but tired of varsity politics, and used to play competition tennis. For now work will be eating my life, quite literally though. So any resurrection will need to wait until after this next stint. Hours I can devote is the general limiter on hobbies, guitars/basses and weight training are top of the pile. I like driving, maybe that can fit in with hobbies too. Nothing like just hitting the road and getting out of the city.

Unfortunately my current urban station robbed me of previous hobbies of hunting and fishing, university was a constant source of missing deer season and the like. Another thing I need to get re-acquainted with.

As far as body types, I prefer the way a strat hangs to a tele, and would make changes to both.

Wed May 22, 2013 1:58 pm

Hobbies, good question that , lifting weights , running , cycling , singing , dating hot woman and not getting attached. Researching and buying guitar pedals. But searching for and playing G&L ' s is my favourite .
Anthony

Wed May 22, 2013 5:24 pm

I like the heft of a contour-free ASAT body. I like the strat shape because it would have been so wild when it was introduced in the '50s. The SC2 is a brilliant shape, probably my favourite - it's pretty sad, but I've been keeping it next to the TV so that when we watch I can still see it :oops: . It's got it's own sound compared to a Legacy or ASAT, don't worry about that.

You must love your job, Eric - mechanic during the weekdays and weekends. I'd have you service my car anyday. Must be nice to enjoy your work.

yowhatsshakin wrote:My hobbies outside of guitars are reading, pedaling around on my bicycle, wine, and preparing food. Eating it, or going out to restaurants, certainly is a hobby too.

That's my hobbies too! I will finally get my time for reading back in 5 weeks, when uni ends. I intend to buy a really good, sturdy leather reading chair :thumbup:

Wed May 22, 2013 6:13 pm

I thought I was the only one that would set my guitar out by the TV so I can watch it too ... lol... glad you posted that !! ..... I might need to use that post to prove "I'm not the only one " in doing weird stuff if the wife ask's ..... I also angle it so I can see it while I'm eating too

Wed May 22, 2013 6:25 pm

Bodies: Almost all of my guitar playing is done sitting, so I don't have any problem with the lack of contours on my ASATs. The 'Hawks and S-500 do fit a bit closer to my body though. My overall faves are the first-style SC-1 and SC-2. They have slab bodies, but they are so small and light that the edges don't feel uncomfortable at all. My most comfortable basses are the Lynx, El Toro and Interceptor. The contours on all three models are very well designed, IMO.

Hobbies: I hardly have time for anything other than late-night strumming due to work, but I do enjoy kayaking whenever the opportunity presents itself. I got out on the water last Sunday for an hour, and took my youngest son (who turns seven this weekend) along for his first paddle. That was a wonderful experience for both of us. I'm also about to take a plunge into learning to play the synth, whenever the new Moog that's been inbound for the past two months arrives. I enjoy woodworking, although I have yet to set up my shop since moving two years ago. I've been working on a new computer desk - which should have been a two-weekend job - for over a year now...

Ken

Wed May 22, 2013 9:00 pm

For me it's the Legacy, and not just because of the body shape. The ergonomics of the controls, the balance, the third pickup, and the PTB controls just make for a more versatile guitar. And perhaps even more importantly, the 12" radius of the standard Legacy board is a big plus.

I have few hobbies other than music.

Yes kids...Rock and Roll is...my life. :happy0065:

Bill

Wed May 22, 2013 9:52 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:For me it's the Legacy, and not just because of the body shape. The ergonomics of the controls, l

That's one thing I find crap on the SC2. With the vibrato arm in I find the controls almost completely inaccessible. But where else could they go???

Thu May 23, 2013 3:43 am

I like both shape, but I must confess I have a soft spot for the ASAT/tele shape, I don't know why, it just feels good to make music sort of a plank with strings and pickups.

I have other hobbies too : running, photography, longboard skateboarding, cycling, but music is mostly and since the age of maybe 4 or 5 the barycentre of all my interests.

Sat May 25, 2013 9:35 pm

Hey Eric. Very nice job this week. Thank you!

I went to University in your neck of the woods and actually flew into Dayton a few months back to attend a fraternity event in Oxford.
Back in the day, the big joke was asking a buddy if he was Dayton a girl from Eaton (or vice versa). Anyway....

Regarding the ASAT or Legacy body type, for me it really isn't the shape. It just seems like one needs the T/A sound sometimes, and at others, only a Strat/Legacy sound will do. And I've never heard a convincing "Tele" tone from a "Strat" style guitar. Nor have I heard a convincing Legacy sound from an ASAT. So..... We love them both.

As for outside interests, mine have taken a small back seat lately to raising a couple of young boys and keeping a couple of octogenarians
on their feet. In the meantime, the garden remains to be planted, and the fish have just been plain lucky I've been otherwise occupied....

- ed