Lunch report 5-21-13

Tue May 21, 2013 9:52 am

Today we had Village Family restraunt , I had a Italian sub sandwich with fries and my employee had the Beef and Noodle dinner special , something I have always done for my employee’s and that is buy lunch for the guy’s every day of the work week , its just something small I can do that helps keep moral up

My question for my fellow G & L ‘ers …. Should G & L require dealers to stock some kind of inventory ???..... Maybe it least a couple guitars ?? … Or, are things fine as-is ??

Reason for the question , when I asked my local dealer why he has 3 Music man and no G & L’s in stock his reply was G & L doesn’t require it , during 2007 when business got really tight he had to cut back on inventory to help stay open and G &L doesn’t require them to stock guitars , Music man requires three in stock ( some brands require more) so G&L got the boot as far as “in stock item”, this dealer likes G&L better than Music Man it was just a “current state of the economy thing” now this is not a dig on my dealer or anything like that , just wondering why G & L doesn’t require dealers to stock a certain number while other brands do ? …. They do normally stock a Legacy but it sells as soon as it hits the wall , I did get my 1998 ASAT there , so he does get some used G & L’s in and been very friendly and helpful , but it would be nice to have a bunch of guitars to play at the dealers , but on the same hand him not having any new stock didn’t keep me from getting a new G&L and helped keep a business open ..Any thoughts ? I know our area was hit hard in 2007 , lots of GM workers out here lost there jobs , the housing industry tanked , many businesses closed down , so I can understand cutting things where you can

I don’t know how many of you guy’s still cut your own grass , but we have had more rain already this year than the total for last year , between the rain and living in between two retired guy’s that are “into a nice cut yard” they are wearing me out trying to keep up with them , we must be mowing the grass three times a week , ugh …. What a PIA …. Have you ever thought of using Round Up to control the grass growth and maybe green paint to make it look pretty ??...lol

Thanks for listening and have a great day , Eric

Re: Lunch report 5-21-13

Tue May 21, 2013 11:19 am

Should G & L require dealers to stock some kind of inventory ???.

The local dealer I ordered my ASAT from in May 2011 told me that he DID have to maintain a certain amount of inventory to keep his standing as a G&L dealer. He only would stock U.S. models. There is another small local G&L dealer that only ever has maybe one or two G&Ls in stock at any time--maybe one U.S. and one Tribute.
Perhaps my dealer was misinformed--perhaps he was not truthful with me (why?)--maybe G&L policies have changed since then--Perhaps the same things could apply to your local dealer--perhaps there is a difference in G&L policy toward U.S. and Canadian dealers. My dealer also told me that he was not allowed to stock both G&L AND Fender together. If that is the rule, it is not consistent either, as I have seen other stores where this is allowed (you can order Fender or G&L from Guitar Center for example). For whatever reasons the information I was given from my dealer is at least not currently accurate.

Perhaps some of the dealers here on this forum could clarify this. I don't see why any of these policies should be secret.

Tue May 21, 2013 12:45 pm

if no inventory helps keep a dealer open through rough times I'm all for that , its hard to be the little guy anymore .... but it would be nice to have a wall full of guitars to try too :) .... it seems like a lot of "other" brands make you have certain amount inventory .... the music store I take lessons from ( not my G & L dealer) says it's lot of money to become a dealer for Fender and Gibson

Tue May 21, 2013 2:01 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:if no inventory helps keep a dealer open through rough times I'm all for that , its hard to be the little guy anymore .... but it would be nice to have a wall full of guitars to try too :) .... it seems like a lot of "other" brands make you have certain amount inventory .... the music store I take lessons from ( not my G & L dealer) says it's lot of money to become a dealer for Fender and Gibson

i don't think no inventory helps. especially with g&l. having the guitars in the store helps to sell more. that is a short sighted owner who thinks not carrying inventory helps the store.

Tue May 21, 2013 2:44 pm

I am lucky to have a great dealer within 21 miles. There are a couple in Minnesota tha I know no longer stock G&Ls and yet claim to be a dealer. There is also a well know vintage store in ST Paul who gets his Fenders and Gibsons from another dealer as this helps the supplying dealer keep his numbers up and the store in St Paul appears to be a Gibson dealer but is not. It would probably be warranted through the original supplying dealer. There are games being played with the big companies but no one asks. There is a G&L dealer who doesn't stock any G&Ls in Alexandria, hasn't had one in stock for several years and is surviving on selling low end junk until times get better according to a person working there. They love the product but say they are a hard sell in that market. I would estimate that AGB has anywhere from 20 to 30 G&Ls in stock including basses and tributes. They also have some nice used ones. If it can be played, it will sell. They had a new Fallout that went out the door as soon as someone looked at it.

I do cut the grass and am the groundskeeper here at Ginnys' Salon. I clear snow off the windshields and brush off the cars in the winter time for the ladies before they leave, I have aired up low tires and generally have these ladies believing that I am a nice guy in addition to being the head groundskeeper and the clearer of the sidewalks in the winter before they leave. Have I got them fooled or what????? -- :evilgrin: -- Darwin

Tue May 21, 2013 4:20 pm

Our area got hit hard , many with out jobs or took severe pay cuts ,..... The dealer does keep a Legacy on hand , they got me a case for my 98 ASAT pretty darn fast , my Legacy came in quick after being ordered , I'm not trying to single out any particular dealer , maybe G & L thought making mandatory stock would hurt buisness overall ?

Darwin , ain't nothing wrong with helping "old ladies" , just don't call them old to they're face if you want to live long :rolleyes:

Tue May 21, 2013 6:24 pm

darwinohm wrote:
Fumble fingers wrote: something I have always done for my employee’s and that is buy lunch for the guy’s every day of the work week , its just something small I can do that helps keep moral up

You guys are really nice. The only time a boss has bought me a lunch is when we've been asked/forced to work on a Sunday with no penalty rates.

Tue May 21, 2013 8:19 pm

I have always been a auto mechanic , when I was younger I worked at a place that always bought lunch and basically treated employee's real good , that place never had much employee turn over , I use the same philosophy , my main employee has been with me over 16 years , I have a small shop so the most employee's I have ever had has been 2 tech's , a detailer and a secretary

Tue May 21, 2013 8:51 pm

I think if you want to sell guitars, you have to stock them...otherwise, it would be penny-wise and pound foolish.

And yes I'm a big fan of astroturf and Round-Up!

Bill

Wed May 22, 2013 12:07 pm

I am with a lot of others, you aren't going to sell what you don't stock. I bought my G&L on order, but not until after playing one in the shop first.

I am on the 10th floor, grass free.

Thu May 23, 2013 2:27 pm

I know of a lot of store owners who balked at the stock requirements of a Fender franchise. Some stores are required to carry nearly one of every model, which is getting to be a lot nowadays. I think its very nice of G&L to drop the requirement, but if this owner can sell all of the G&Ls that he orders, Why not order more G&Ls and make some money?

He ought to blow out the Music Mans and stock some G&Ls.

I have been cutting a lot of grass this year too. I guess it beats the drought of last year and I hope this means we have a cooler Summer this year.

Fri May 24, 2013 12:02 pm

bassman wrote:He ought to blow out the Music Mans and stock some G&Ls.

2 very different markets there bassman.