5/20/13 lunch report

Mon May 20, 2013 8:43 am

My lunch is pretty predictable , my shop is in a rural area so there are only two choices for lunch unless you feel like a long drive and cold food , McDonalds or Village Family restraunt , forgot my camera so no luch picts ( still a rookie photogragher) , lol , today I had Chicken strip dinner with fries and barbecue sauce from the Village , its a family owned restraunt with home/grammaw type cooking ....

my G & L topic of the day pertains to the DF verses saddle lock , I have a SC2 on order with a DF ..... since saddle lock is a option on that guitar , what would be the reason for choosen a saddle lock over a DF ???......

is it to keep tune better ?? ... is the sound that much different between the two ?? ... or just simple design with less maintenance ???
for me I wanted to have the DF just for the option of having it if needed , but I don't know much compared to you guy's , just curious why someone wouldn't want a DF when its a available option

on a side note after 3 weeks my Legacy with DF is holding tune better than my 98 ASAT Classic besides the age difference between the two , the ASAT might need a new nut , when it goes out its all the strings and it will either be way high or way low , I assume nut maybe ?? wicth brings another question , should I store them in the case when not in use ??

**** non G&L topic ****...what kind of recording equipment do you guy's use to record your self and play back ??... will this equipment/software take out the guitar out of the song so you can play along with it ??
what would be a good cost effective methods of recording your self with decent quality ?? , ... I have seen some of the you-tube vid's where they hit a button and play along with the song and it doesn't sound like the new lead is playing over the original lead guitar,how do edit out the part your wanting to play ? or is this even possible ?
I have to get up to date on my electronics

Thanks Louis for the camera tip!! ..... I'll leave you with these three photo's , nice Woodpecker and a couple G & L's
the woodpecker pict was taken from my sofa through a sliding door window on 20X zoom Panasonic camera

wouldn't be a G & L thread without one of these

thanks guy's, hope you have a wonderful afternoon , Eric

Re: 5/20/13 lunch report

Mon May 20, 2013 2:38 pm

Looks like you've got some good bases covered already, great photography.

Mon May 20, 2013 3:40 pm

Eric, with my job of being retired, I usually have lunch at home. I built a great sandwich left over from the band being here for a weekend gig. As predicted, we stayed up until 4 AM on Sunday morning and cooled down with refreshments and talked smart! It was my impression that everything was played a bit slow on our Sunday afternoon gig. These boys aren't what they used to be!

To DF or notis the question. If I had only one guitar (it ain't gonna happen) it would have a DF. I was a Strat guy and bought a Tele before my G&L days. It was an American deluxe with a belly cut and it seemed like the perfect guitar-- except-- no whammy. That is a serious defect for a Strat type guy. I sat around and looked at and played thing and thought it was almost perfect. If only,,,,. Much to Ginnys dismay i ordered an F Bigsby kit and she rolled her eyes. "How can you be sure your not going to screw it up"?? No sweat, I assured her. It was a bit scary to start drilling on this new beautiful guitar but we only live once. It was the best guitar mod I have ever done. I have now done several including a G&L Bluesboy. So I see no downside to the DF. Some will claim better sustain from a saddlelock but I wouldn't argue the point. I love ASATs and now have the 99.9% perfect G&L and it is the hollow body EQ Mah. Asat Special with a DFS. I also have an ASAT Z-3 with a Bigsby which is totally cool. I am working on the 100% G&L but haven't received the commission approval yet. It would be a killer, I would let them show it on their web site and I would even endorse it for free if they asked me. :evilgrin: Maybe, some day.

Recording equipment is common today and I happened to settle on a Digirack 002 with Pro Tools LE. in 2007, it was state of the art and still works well for recording today. I use a Mac desk top and have Yamaha monitors with a Blue Sky sub woofer. It does what i need very well as I only do recording and am not into music production or commercials. Remember, I am retired and work hard at it! -- Darwin

Mon May 20, 2013 4:29 pm

Why not get a dual fulcrum? Well, that is a non-locking trem, and the only trems I really enjoy are the locking kind. I don't use trems all that much, but 1/2 my stable is still tremmed. One non-locking, 1 locking, 1 saddle lock, 1 stop tail. The set and forget aspects of hard tails are very nice, you don't need nearly the maintenance to keep them running smooth. Non-locking trems, unfortunately have the most maintenance to keep em running smooth and great.

I have never understood why Darwin mods bigsby's on things either, and probably never will. If there is a trem I really hate, right up there with trad strat bridges, it is bigsbys. 2 post will destroy a trem with 6 points or traditional mount every time. I don't generally use trems for vibrato, most for fluttering and diving, occasionally a pull to get some real wild bends. Then you can slide up and dive, and visca versa, for some neat sonic oddness ofcourse. For that sort of shinanigans, nothing beats a floyd.

The saddle lock is a real cadillac of hard tails, I would be hard pressed to pass one up, ever. The DF bridge, is one of many. A lot out there like it.

There is my 2 cents, for recording I have been using some iteration of sonar for a while, and a relatively dated FA-66. Have some mackies for monitoring, and misc mics. Never tried to use it for isolation, but I think a lot of what you are hearing are reduced jam tracks / demos and such or 'naked tracks'.

Mon May 20, 2013 5:05 pm

i think the df is the best trem bridge out there. i used to think the locking floyds are a good thing, but i don't anymore. i can keep a nonlocking trem in tune just fine. i even like the traditional 6 screw strat bridges now. i didn't used to like bigsbys, but i really like them now, when they are done right. since i tried the duesenberg version of the bigsby, it may be my favorite now.

Mon May 20, 2013 5:16 pm

That is one sweet looking Legacy. Love that finish!
I've had a couple of the Panasonic Lumix cameras. For a point-n-shoot they don't get much better.

I use Cakewalk to record stuff at home on MS-Win. There's a bunch of free/reasonable cost programs out there. I haven't used either but have heard decent reviews on ntrack and mixcraft. Of course there's always Audacity.

Jeff

Mon May 20, 2013 5:26 pm

a Bigsby on a ASAT special Buck Owens finish with no PG would be my ultimate gas attack

do you have any pics of the bigsby tele Darwin ?

Mon May 20, 2013 7:03 pm

Yes I do, Here is a picture of the Bluesboy. -- Darwin

and the Z-3.

Mon May 20, 2013 8:04 pm

Looks great Darwin , the Z3 really blows me away !!

Jeff the Lumix works good , I just happened to be reading the manual in one hand , holding the camera in the other hand when the woodpecker showed up , he was kind enough to let me zoom in and take a couple picts before he flew away , if I was trying to do that on purpose it would have never happened

Mon May 20, 2013 10:31 pm

Hi Eric,

As you might have noticed, whether people like trems is entirely personal. I guess there is a large correlation with the model you vied for most in your youth. If it is an LP, like for me, or a Tele, to which I have been converted, the trem doesn't live in your mental world that much. If it is a Strat, well, you simply can't do without it. And it will all be reflected in your playing style. I do not have a single ASAT with a trem, but all my Strat-style G&L of course do have trems, including my Mustang body SC-3. When looking for a Leo-era SC-1 and SC-2, I also looked for a Saddle-Lock versions first. BTW, did you know Saddle-Lock bridges were dubbed Locktight bridges in the day? Easy to see why they changed the name ... But without a doubt, the DFV is a great bridge which allows most of us plenty of tuning stability. Don't know whether it entirely holds up for the shredders amongst us, although it seems to do just fine for louis (although I understand he has moved more to the blues now with some shred frills here and there). PRS has a good trem too; somewhat weird to realize the Fender trem is pretty weak.

I do not have any recording equipment at all. Pretty lame :oops:

Great start of the LR week!

- Jos

Tue May 21, 2013 5:12 am

Hey Eric,

I am partial to the Saddle Lock. But I am not a tremolo guy at all. In fact my 3 DF's are all blocked. As far as recording goes the only thing i record these days are rehearsals - I use a mid priced canon HD camera and it works pretty well. I enjoy the simplicity of Garage Band for laying down a rhythm track that students can play overtop of. I do wish i had the time to record for myself more!

Scott

Tue May 21, 2013 8:03 am

Fumble fingers wrote:Looks great Darwin , the Z3 really blows me away !!

Jeff the Lumix works good , I just happened to be reading the manual in one hand , holding the camera in the other hand when the woodpecker showed up , he was kind enough to let me zoom in and take a couple picts before he flew away , if I was trying to do that on purpose it would have never happened

Make sure you get those guitars off the deck before that woodpecker gets them :evilgrin:

Tue May 21, 2013 10:07 am

they wasn't out there long ..lol

Tue May 21, 2013 8:36 pm

I really like the DF vibrato. In fact none of my G&Ls have the Saddle Lock. I'm not an ASAT guy, but even my Deluxe has a DF.

For recording, I have an older Korg D-1600, and an Olympus LS 11 for recording myself at jams and gigs. I think if you are serious about home recording, I think you should invest in a dedicated computer and ProTools.

Nice pics!

Bill

Tue May 21, 2013 9:31 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:I really like the DF vibrato. In fact none of my G&Ls have the Saddle Lock. I'm not an ASAT guy, but even my Deluxe has a DF.

For recording, I have an older Korg D-1600, and an Olympus LS 11 for recording myself at jams and gigs. I think if you are serious about home recording, I think you should invest in a dedicated computer and ProTools.

Nice pics!

Bill

protools is too expensive and locks you into propriety hardware. reaper is a far superior recording software that costs 30 bucks, and you have an unlimited free trial if you so choose. all the vst's you could want are available for free.