May 13th 2013 Lunch Report

Mon May 13, 2013 7:38 am

Louis is going to love and hate this lunch report.

He's going to love the picture of the scattered sushi I had for lunch, chosen intentionally to offset the conversely unappetising topic that follows: Guitar Fetish.

At this Friday's gig, I can't afford to have my G&L falling like it did right after my high school jazz orchestra concert where it hit the ground and BOUNCED -- TWICE! :shocked003: So 20 years after that incident, I finally got two sets of "Marvel" strap locks for each of my guitars from GFS. (Sorry, Louis.)

Initially, the hardware looked and worked fine, though it took me a while to figure out how to get these strap locks to work without an instruction manual. A nice thing about the design is that the button is flat, and the post can be used as a conventional strap button if you want. They are not as classy looking as the original G&L hardware, but form must follow function.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/REDESIGNED- ... p_598.html

One unexpected benefit of these strap locks is they put a about centimeter gap between the the guitar and strap. I quickly found this makes the guitar easier to play when standing and sitting. The strap doesn't rub up against the cutaway or body as much, so it's easier to shift the guitar into a more comfortable playing position and/or make rock star poses. Of course, with out the fear of the guitar falling, my playing is a lot better, too. 8-)

To me,"Made-in-China" = "you get what you pay for." Chinese factories can and do make some good stuff, IF you are willing to pay the price. If a retailer wants a discount, they'll get it, but then they get lower quality products. With the prices GFS is asking ($12), it's likely that they are not paying for creme of the production run. So for GFS, it would be more accurate to say that you get what you pay for sometimes. Other reviews I've seen suggest this.

The gold plated set I got for my GB-10 was fine. However, one of the screws that came with the chrome set was rusted. So was the metal under the chrome that was stripping off one of the posts. Neither of these inhibits function or is even visible. However one of the actually locks did not want to stay locked because the internal spring is a bit gimpy. :problem: Eventually I got it to lock, but he time it took combine with the uncertainty it might still fall is enough for me to consider sending it back. :think:

I won't, though. The GFS site says, "YES we ship WORLDWIDE DAILY!!", but when I tried to order to Japan, they asked me to fax them a copy of my credit card AND identification :rolleyes: Instead, I had them send it to my Dad in New Jersey who forwarded it (for $30) along with a BBE Sonic Stomp, courtesy of Craig!

So, for today's G&L topic: What kind of strap locks do you have on your G&L?

Today's non G&L topic: Have you any experience ordering from GFS?

Re: May 13th 2013 Lunch Report

Mon May 13, 2013 8:53 am

I am normally a user of Schaller strap locks, but my G&L ASAT special has dunlops on it. The reason being as you mentioned, the guitar hangs with the neck up a slight bit more, as they are set out farther from the body. Can't say I would ever cheap on strap locks though. Schaller (Or Grover, which make identical ones after Schallers patent ran out) are only 15-20$ anyway. The only complain to those I have heard is if playing REALLY loud, they might squeak, and this squeak may in fact get amplified. Never had it happen, but knew a guy who did.

I have never orderred from GFS, but have heard many a mixed review. Even the positive were prefaced with a 'for the money'. Meaning it is only good at that price point to me and if you can, go better.

Mon May 13, 2013 9:54 am

GB, I had a big polish sausage for lunch at Sams Club. It was pretty good! I have never been into Sushi but that wouldn't surprise many of you. It is a great looking dish.

Straplocks have always been a good a discussion here. I have about 35 sets of Schallers and they are my go to. The reason is that they do not fail. I have a set of Ernie Ball locks which have failed and I was lucky and caught my bass before it hit anything. The locks that use the three bearing or balls to lock are prone to failure unless you are sure that they are completely locked. There are several brands that use that same concept. The Schaller has a drop in center pin that cannot disengage. They may not be as easy to unlock but they are positive. Someone here complained that the Schaller locks can ding your guitar when unlocking them. This is true for most locks or strap hardware if you are not careful. I have to comment G&L for probably the best standard strap button in the business as they are large and are mostly safe. Any of my guitars that I use have straplocks.

I have not purchased from GFS but you will find a lot of products that are sourced from China. I recently purchased some Mic pouches that are very nice that are from China. I also purchased a Tele pickguard from China and it was beautiful but none of the holes lined up. It was a test of sorts and It cost $4 to find out it didn't fit.-- Darwin

Mon May 13, 2013 11:10 am

that looks like some mighty fine sushi. i especially like the nigiri. i have strap locks on all my guitars. i use the schallers, as i have had both the dunlop and the once you have purchased fail. since the locking mechanism is also the weight bearing part, when it fails, the guitar falls. the bearings are held by a small spring that is all that's between the guitar and the floor. the schaller cradles the post, so even if the locking mechanism fails, (not bearing based), the guitar still won't go anywhere.

Mon May 13, 2013 11:33 am

Schallers were the standard back when I was at it & still appear to be by the posts above.i got a set to go with the hoshino 90 I took back last hitch & will be getting them for both the will ray & LE-2 as well.thanks for reaffirming this lads :thumbup: cheers..

Mon May 13, 2013 1:56 pm

I never had strap locks but owned a guitar that could of used them ..... my straps fit tight around the G & L's so I probably won't worry about it .... I must hold my guitar like Tim cause I had the strap come off twice on my old Epiphone and it never hit the ground ...lol

Mon May 13, 2013 5:25 pm

That sushi looks amazing. I thought we had a good place down the road but that makes the stuff we get look like cat food.

G&L's strapbuttons are excellent. My guitars haven't fallen once after who knows how many shows. I replaced them with strap-locks on one of the ASATs and have lost the originals - if anyone wants to sell me a set of their G&L original strap buttons please PM me.

GFS? Rubbish. There's much better stuff available for about the same price, especially once shipping costs are included.

Mon May 13, 2013 6:47 pm

Never done biz with GFS.

I use Schallers when I need straplocks. I love the G&L buttons. But the Schallers are the VERY FIRST thing I do to a Gibson. You just occasionally need to check the nuts on the strap piece for tightness. A dab of clear nail polish will help keep it secure. I do wish the strap makers would use larger holes...but I have a leather punch...so, it's manageable.

Bill

Mon May 13, 2013 6:51 pm

One of my '86 ASATs came to me with strap locks (Dunlops, I believe). I thought they took away from the look of the guitar, so I replaced them with a pair I ordered directly from G&L. All of my other G&Ls have their original strap buttons, and I have no intention of changing them.

Ken

Mon May 13, 2013 7:05 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:Never done biz with GFS.

I use Schallers when I need straplocks. I love the G&L buttons. But the Schallers are the VERY FIRST thing I do to a Gibson. You just occasionally need to check the nuts on the strap piece for tightness. A dab of clear nail polish will help keep it secure. I do wish the strap makers would use larger holes...but I have a leather punch...so, it's manageable.

Bill

for the straplocks you need a leather punch a 3/8". i have straps that were designed for locks only, so there is only a hole, no slit. but i think most straps are designed for regular use, and the holes need to stay small to get a more secure fit.

Sat May 18, 2013 11:56 pm

Greenblues wrote:So, for today's G&L topic: What kind of strap locks do you have on your G&L?

None! I don't play out live very much and when I do I have a couple of straps that are difficult to put on.

Sun May 19, 2013 2:32 am

A great tip I learnt is buy a flip top Grolsch beer . there is a red rubber stopper that 's purpose is to seal the beer. It stretches perfectly over the guitar strap and strap button.
Anthony

Sun May 19, 2013 3:06 am

LeoF The Champion wrote:A great tip I learnt is buy a flip top Grolsch beer . there is a red rubber stopper that 's purpose is to seal the beer. It stretches perfectly over the guitar strap and strap button.
Anthony
Brock wrote:
Greenblues wrote:So, for today's G&L topic: What kind of strap locks do you have on your G&L?

None! I don't play out live very much and when I do I have a couple of straps that are difficult to put on.

the purpose of the straplock is not only to make it secure, but also to be able too take the strap off quickly. neither of these methods help with that.