Sweaty guy lunch report 9/5/13

Thu May 09, 2013 10:13 am

Hello again Folks

Todays lunch was late breakfast. Something caught my eye, unfortunately the peameal sausage sounded a lot tastier than it was. Oh well, live and learn.

I am a sweaty guy, and the most profound impact this has on my playing is PICKS ARE FREAKING SLIPPERY. They love to rotate as I play at anything approaching speedily. This is monstrously frustrating, as material irrelevant, I seem to have issues with this, more so in the last 2 years. Pick size plays a factor, I have found I like larger picks, as there is more sitting on my fingers and more friction then. Pick thickness is also a factor, I feel like I can hold thicker picks more securely.

The big problem here is I adjust my thumb pressure on the pick, to control dynamics. So I insert compliance into the system, not by slowing down, but by being less firm. The conundrum here, is that seems to have no bearing on how much the pick rotates....

I had an idea, but I couldn't find the right stuff. I was looking for a liquid rubber compound to apply to picks, so off I went to Canadian Tire. They might have some, but I couldn't find it. What I did find was a rubberized spray on truck box liner, and here is what I did. Haven't put in an extended session yet, which will be today, but a short test was promising.

How do you manage to hold on to these slippery things? It is summer now, which means the problem is worse than ever for me.

The tilt back headstock. Something we don't see on G&Ls, instead we see string trees and a flat headstock. I realize this saves lumber, but to me the tilt back is a big improvement. When done without a joint, it raises material costs, but when done with one that cost is irrelevant (but we might have people complain about a joint). I am not talking a ridiculous gibson 30 or 45 degree tilt, but a good 10-12 degrees works just fine, and doubles by making the truss rod slightly more accessible. What is your preference for headstock construction? Did G&L go this route because of material savings only? Do they not like the 'weak spot' a tilt back creates?

Cheers folks, have a good day. I will be practicing it up and hitting the gym as only a guy on vacation can really do.

Re: Sweaty guy lunch report 9/5/13

Thu May 09, 2013 10:18 am

Sweat; love that poly finish... I use carbon fiber pickups and they're sweat-resistant. Those Dunlop Jazz picks are good too.

Cheers,

Will

Thu May 09, 2013 10:52 am

i use the coolpick beta carbonate, has a silicone grip surface. have never had an issue. i also used surfpick, made of ironwood, and they are dipped in a rubber compound. it wears off, but the maker said to head down to home depot, they sell it there. just dip the pick in the liquid rubber, it dries and there it goes. much stickier than tire rubber.

tilt back headstock is not necessary, just use adjustable height tuning pegs. solves the need for trees.

Thu May 09, 2013 10:54 am

Those are some big picks!
I have a few picks with the sandpapery texture finish on the fat end (Dunlop and Herco I think).
I don't usually have a sweat problem but I do like the feel of those.
Looks like your rubber spray is a good idea. Have you ever tried Gorilla Snot? I have no experience with it but have seen it advertised to address such an issue.

Jeff

Thu May 09, 2013 11:26 am

Kyle, I normally don't have a problem with this but a place I ordered some thing from a few years back sent me some cactus picks, They sit on the table here. I don't like them. Something with a sticky surface would be good.

I don't mind the flat headstocks as if the correct tuners are used it usually isn't a problem, Gibson like their necks/headstock weakness as it has been a source of work for years. I have never had a broken headstock but I did buy a Hamer the neck had been snapped off next to the body. It had a pro repair and it is good as new and is one of my resto projects.-- Darwin.

Thu May 09, 2013 1:00 pm

Will - I have often been curious about CF picks, they seem like they could have a lot of potential.

Louis- that is the stuff I was looking for but I settled as it wasn't there, I could get some at home hardware (looks like, according to their website) if this doesn't work out. The reason I didn't first try is the one near me is notorious for never having what I need. You cool picks are still on the to try list, but they are thinner than I am used to playing.

Repoman - Yes, the triangle and the grey one are 3mm, the thin one about 1.1mm (slightly too thin, normally, still has a touch of flex). I have not tried gorrilla snot, but it is also on the list next time I am in a music store.

Darwin - Those cactus picks seem a lot like some other textured picks, the hold back for me and those types is typically material and wear life. I really hate when picks wear much over time, I prefer to use the same pick damned near forever and have it exactly as it was.

Also had a play session today with the picks (not a drill session though). Seems to be all good for now, I scored them up with a box cutter beforehand though (can never have too much grip)

Sun May 12, 2013 9:08 pm

Peameal sausage? Were you expecting a rich explosion of fine-textured flavor?

I like the yellow Dunlop picks, but any inexpensive "medium" pick will do. Put one drop of honey on your first finger, then rub it on your thumb. The pick will stay rather nicely (but not artificially snugly) in between. After your practice (or your show or your recording session), you can then have YOUR honey lick your sweet and sweaty fingers clean as a prelude to the inevitable and joyous duet.

What the heck was I saying? - ed

Mon May 13, 2013 8:50 am

I was expected something at least tasty, Peameal bacon is amazing stuff.

I'll get right on that, it will have the added benefit of making my guitars harder to drop as they get coverred in sugars.