Friday Lunch Report: 19 April 2013

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:14 am

"The best laid schemes 'o mice and men. Gang aft agley..." -Robert Burns

For this week's lunch reports, I planned out menu and topics based on particular themes, but alas I have strayed from this initial plan. My life seldom conforms to such plans. For example, I wasn't planning on getting sick this week, but here I am with sore joints and a 38.2 degree fever.... :oops:
I also planned on liking the Seymour Duncan SSL-6 pickup I just put next my Legacy's bridge, but am not impressed so far.

So I tend not to waste my time on planning, and just ad-lib my way through. Sometimes I butt heads with people who can only see the risks and unknowns of spontaneity. This is of course why I like jazz so much. Though truth be told, I found that playing jazz fluently actually requires quite a bit of planning and preparation…which I why I sometimes hate jazz.

This is also why I spent 800 yen on Korean food below (Pork Kimchee) instead of 500 yen on a bento box or Japanese-style curry today. A former coworker invited me to lunch, and the conversation about how much we hate our day jobs, love a mutual friend with Assburger's Syndrome and what kind of music I'm going to play in four weeks was worth many times more the extra 300 yen. True to the spirit of lunch reports, this is a slice of my real life -- not my life as I imagined it would be.

G&L Topic: What kind of strings are wound on your G&L? What are the gauges?

Non-G&L Topic: What was the worst illness you ever had?

Re: Friday Lunch Report: 19 April 2013

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:34 am

Worst illness: Gout. It's like stubbing your toe when you've got really cold feet constantly for 5 days. The serious pain-killers prescribed by the doc help a lot but make you feel like a vegetable. That and anything involving liquids leaving the body at the mouth and at the rear simultaneously.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:05 am

MMMM... making me hungry for Korean food. I don't think we have any around my work though.

Strings: Ernie ball power slinky: .011 .014 .018p .028 .038 .048 - I can't get used to anything smaller.

Illness: I can't complain too much about that. Several years ago both my sons and I were sick with some bad food poisoning for two days just before a holiday so we ended up missing it. Other than that I'm pretty fortunate. (Knocks wood)

Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:07 am

Greenblues wrote:G&L Topic: What kind of strings are wound on your G&L? What are the gauges?

Non-G&L Topic: What was the worst illness you ever had?

I use only one specific set on all my electrics: Daddario EXL115, it's 011-014-018-w028-w038-w049

I'm sorry, I never had a serious illness. :mrgreen:

The worst may have been one heavy influenza, when I was a child.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:47 am

On my electrics, D'Addario Xl9s. I like light strings. For my basses, RotoSound flat wounds. I forget the gauge. For my 'Uke, PHD low Gs. For my National Reso Tenor, D'Addario 9s. Gives it a different sound, but I like it.

edg

Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:51 am

thomastic power brights 10-50.

not really an illness but an injury. breaking my back in three places was pretty bad.
another one was 3rd degree burn on close to 10% of the body. both from motorcycle accidents.

worst illness/condition epididymitis.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:12 pm

GB, thanks for doing LRs this week. It was very enjoyable, especially you lunches.

I use D'Addario strings because I buy 10 packs at a time and they are consistent. They also have a good life. I go through about 50 sets a year. We all have our favorites but I have used EB, Fender and Gibson and always go back to the D's.

I am lucky to have been a relatively health person my whole life. I would consider the bad one as being the one that has me looking at the sod from beneath. Until then, life continues to be good. We are gigging two nights this weekend and that is always fun. Let us know when you do you gig and how it went.

II am going too talk about our weather as you are involved in that. We will be breaking a record for the latest is has reached 60 degrees F. this year. The ice in the lakes may not be out for opening of fishing! Jamie, you commented yesterday that is is spring in Minnesota. Well, this morning it looked like Christmas! I spent most of the morning clearing snow. I will leave you with a picture out our front door this morning. Thanks again GW!-- Darwin

Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:37 pm

Good week Sir. I use 10-52's and have had the boogie woogie fever since birth.

y2kc

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:08 pm

Greenblues wrote:
G&L Topic: What kind of strings are wound on your G&L? What are the gauges?

All of G&L's are strung with Darco 10-46 strings. They're cheap, sound good, and have great longevity.

Greenblues wrote:Non-G&L Topic: What was the worst illness you ever had?

Compound fracture of the left leg. I still have a big scar where the bone came through the skin.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:56 pm

Hi, nice pictures of your meal !
My G&L used to be strung with d'addario 11/49 for 3 or 4 years, but they're now with 10/46.
I find them less wearying.

As for illness, I've just past through an infarctus without much consequences except the biggest fear of my life !
Thanks to my relatively young age (I'm 37) and my past as a firefighter, I can live a pretty normal life ( well, if running 4 times a week and eat like a top model sounds normal at all).

Well, I'm fine, and still want some more G&L badly (and that's a sign of good health isn't it ?)

Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:03 am

supereiv wrote:Hi, nice pictures of your meal !
My G&L used to be strung with d'addario 11/49 for 3 or 4 years, but they're now with 10/46.
I find them less wearying.

As for illness, I've just past through an infarctus without much consequences except the biggest fear of my life !
Thanks to my relatively young age (I'm 37) and my past as a firefighter, I can live a pretty normal life ( well, if running 4 times a week and eat like a top model sounds normal at all).

Well, I'm fine, and still want some more G&L badly (and that's a sign of good health isn't it ?)

wow, a heart attack at 37? how did that happen? you should learn a lot more about nutrition, eating like a top model is not the solution for cardiovascular health.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:12 am

I'm kidding about the top model Louis, I'm eating perfectly, and discovered that I wasn't eating badly at all before that.
Actually, my wife is a senior researcher in nutrition epidemiology, I have all the knowledge I need right beside me :D

The cardiologists told that was genetic, not bad habit, my coronary arteries look as if I was 65 ! Just a matter of bad luck I guess.
Anyway, I feel lucky to be alive.
Last edited by supereiv on Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:53 am

like the photo's makes me want to try Japanese food. Had tacos today with one of my grandboys made him happy.

Strings D'addario .010-.013-.018w-.026w-.036w-.046w I like the wound G can't seem to play anything lighter.

Illness I was healthy until about 2 years ago. After MRIs Xrays 3 doctors and a year or so of come back and see me in 3 months. I seen a different
neurologist She said after 5 minutes of examining me that they had been looking in the wrong place. Sent me for a upper MRI within a week sent me to a neurosurgeon. Who operated on me 3 days later. Severe spinal blockage. So after drilling on 5 vertebra some bone grafts and some titanium
I'm hopefully on the road to recovery. If you have a Doctor that seems to not know what is wrong with you FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR they are not
created equal.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:46 am

That last bit not like life was planned . Wow I could write an essay on that but I won't .
I have always played 10- 52's but I have recently had a few guitars in 10- 46 and have been appreciating there ease of playing.
I am very healthy but last year I had glandular fever , called Mono in the USA , terrible thing when your 44. good thing I had just left my wife when I contracted that. can you imagine explaining that to a furious Mrs.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:35 am

all my electrics are strung with either 9-42 (mostly) or 10-46 (occasionally) GHS burnished nickel (rockers)
they last longest with the best tone and feel for my tastes.
Some years back I got post viral chronic fatigue after getting poisoned from a cut on my foot on a river bed while in a triathlon ( I completed the event with blood filling my shoes without quite realising what had happened) I was down to only being able to stay awake about 2 hours in 24 for some months. I tried to stay positive and eventually had to give up my job and start a business (website programming at the time) where I could work as long as I could and rest when I had to. It took me a few years to reach borderline normal but am now generally OK but still need to be cautious about getting overfatigued and making sure I eat a healthy diet. I wouldn't wish it on anyone and it is very hard to specifically diagnose - let alone the people who say you look healthy and cant understand why you are always so tired. Ironically exercise is one of the best things to help despite being "sick" so it is hard to explain to other people how you can exercise but not cope with a similar work load. My wife was an enormous support and I consider myself very lucky now I am through it and living well.

Jeremy

Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:51 am

Thanks for the great week of LR's and the tasty pictures of food.

Strings: Optima/Maxima 9-42's on my 2 Commemoratives, D'Addario 9-42's on Leo era guitars, D'Addario 10-46's on all BBE-era guitars with the exception of my Butterscotch ASAT Classic and Legacy Special which have D;Addario 11-49's with unwould G. The ASAT Classic is always tuned in open-G and it just turns out that the feel of the havier gauge at the lower tension is about the same as for a set of 10's. D'Addario 45-130's on my L-2500, D'Addario 45-100's on the SB-2, and Optima/Maxima 45-100's on the Commemorative ASAT bass.

Illness: Have been lucky in life. I've never been sick for more than 2 days and never broken a bone. The 'worst' would have been the dislocation of my left pinky (with a small fracture in the bone) just during the time I had to write my PhD thesis. But playing guitar was great help in the rehab!

- Jos

Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:14 pm

I'm un-decided on strings , I used to think I like the light gage 9's, but maybe it was because I had sissy fingers from not playing enough , now that I'm playing every night and learning to play lead the light gage strings seem to catch my finger nail on the next string over when doing bends , it seems like the light gage strings requires more bend to achieve the same goal , I'm going up to a 10 or a 11 next time and see how that works out

the sickest I ever felt is when we moved into a new/old house with a sistern (sp?) for water system that apparently needed some bleech to kill the bacteria , man it was like worse than death for 2 days , I thought I was dying it hurt so bad .... thank god we had plenty of toilet paper , a good plunger and current magazine rack

Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:17 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:I'm un-decided on strings , I used to think I like the light gage 9's, but maybe it was because I had sissy fingers from not playing enough , now that I'm playing every night and learning to play lead the light gage strings seem to catch my finger nail on the next string over when doing bends , it seems like the light gage strings requires more bend to achieve the same goal , I'm going up to a 10 or a 11 next time and see how that works out

the sickest I ever felt is when we moved into a new/old house with a sistern (sp?) for water system that apparently needed some bleech to kill the bacteria , man it was like worse than death for 2 days , I thought I was dying it hurt so bad .... thank god we had plenty of toilet paper , a good plunger and current magazine rack

actually, the heavier the gauge, the farther you have to bend to string to get to the same pitch. catching the nail on the ext string is a technical issue (flat fingertip), and has to also do with action, not a function of gauge.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:25 pm

Louis ,is it the way I'm holding my fingers ?? ....

sorry for the hi-jack , but I'm here to learn from you guy's

thanks , Eric

Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:36 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:Louis ,is it the way I'm holding my fingers ?? ....

sorry for the hi-jack , but I'm here to learn from you guy's

thanks , Eric

yes. not enough arc. common mistake, the finger is too flat fretting the note.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:00 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Thanks for the great week of LR's and the tasty pictures of food.

Strings: Optima/Maxima 9-42's on my 2 Commemoratives, D'Addario 9-42's on Leo era guitars, D'Addario 10-46's on all BBE-era guitars with the exception of my Butterscotch ASAT Classic and Legacy Special which have D;Addario 11-49's with unwould G. The ASAT Classic is always tuned in open-G and it just turns out that the feel of the havier gauge at the lower tension is about the same as for a set of 10's. D'Addario 45-130's on my L-2500, D'Addario 45-100's on the SB-2, and Optima/Maxima 45-100's on the Commemorative ASAT bass.

Illness: Have been lucky in life. I've never been sick for more than 2 days and never broken a bone. The 'worst' would have been the dislocation of my left pinky (with a small fracture in the bone) just during the time I had to write my PhD thesis. But playing guitar was great help in the rehab!

- Jos

jos, i used to use those maxima gold strings back in austria. those are great strings.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:41 am

louis cyfer wrote:jos, i used to use those maxima gold strings back in austria. those are great strings.

They are fantastic strings indeed. The models mentioned came with them and I want to keep the correct. But stringing up my whole collection with Maxima strings would cost me a small fortune! ;)

- Jos

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:25 pm

LeoF The Champion wrote:That last bit not like life was planned . Wow I could write an essay on that but I won't .

I would have written an essay, but I couldn't!

BTW, my strings are GHS Boomers 10.5~48 (big difference from a 10!). I started using those after I found out on the G&LDP that G&L was putting those on the guitars in the factory.