Thursday Lunch Report: 18 April 2013

Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:46 am

Lunch plans changed suddenly, and for the better. Instead of eating Japanese with an American male colleague, I wound up eating American with a Japanese female temp. Rotisserie chicken and french fries is hardly representative of Japanese food so I didn't bother to photograph that. Unfortunately, my companion was too shy to be photographed. BTW, I still managed to stay within my 500 yen budget restriction!

This restriction is particularly important because with a gig coming up next month, I feel the strong need to equip myself with new gear. Ironically, none of it is actually new, though. Besides the fact that it was purchase used through Japan's equivalent of eBay (Yahoo! Auction), the gear I bought is stuff I've owned before and then sold. More that a decade ago, I had a Boss LS-2, but didn't really use it that much. Now I've brought it back to switch between my Boss Loop Station's stereo inputs. More recently, I owned a Line6 Echo Park, but didn't like it as much as a MIJ Boss DD-3 or Robot Factory Space Case. However, I will need it's built-in tap-tempo feature and stereo-inputs to cover a Police tune next month.

Since we're on the subject of pedals, has anyone tried the new G&L pedals?

It's a bit depressing to think that the $100 I spent on used pedals today is definitely more than I'm going to make on this gig, which becomes in effect a pay-to-play deal if not enough people show up. As an incentive to get people to come out, I got a wacky idea inspired by the Pinball Number Count from Sesame Street. This tune is so funk-nasti-c that I just have to play it with a band, but there are 12 versions of it (one for each number!) Which one do I chose? First I considered just choosing the number that sounds the best when you say it aloud, like "five" or "nine." Then I thought it would be exiting to have a random number chosen on stage...kind of like a lottery. So why have a lottery at the gig? Besides justifying the performance of a song made for kids in front of adults, the idea is that a portion of the door can go into a pot, which is then divided between the winners and the band, thus creating a win-win situation for the band and (some of) the audience.

Which means my non-G&L topic for today's lunch report should be:

Have I totally disconnected from reality by trying bribe my potential audience this way, or am I just an unscrupulous b@$+ard?

Re: Thursday Lunch Report: 18 April 2013

Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:18 am

Hey Greenblues,

Greenblues wrote:Ironically, none of it is actually new, though. Besides the fact that it was purchase used through Japan's equivalent of eBay (Yahoo! Auction), the gear I bought is stuff I've owned before and then sold

I have done that a few times myself! Now what comes into the house stays... Even if it just collects dust, i know there will be a use for it - one day! I have been using a boss rv-3 (Delay/Reverb) for many years on my pedal board, but it may soon be replaced by the BBE Two Timer which is on its way from my last stint as lunch reporter.

As far as the lottery at the gig.... You guys should keep the $ for yourselves. At least in my town, incentives never seem to work. The people who are gonna go and watch you play, are gonna go watch you play incentives or not. They are gonna be there to be entertained by you, not for a chance to win a few bucks at the end of the night. Now if we are talking thousands of dollars, the story may be different... but from the sounds of it I don't think we are. I am sure you and your band have be working hard to put this thing together - Personally I think it would not be fair to you or your band mates to give a cut to some random audience member.

It always sucks trying to pack a venue - I totally understand where you coming from - But you are the ones up on that stage, and should be rewarded as such!

Scott

Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:40 pm

It certainly is hard to make any real money from music unless you're some of the lucky few . Respect to you in looking to find new ways.I hope the venue is packed and you just never know how many people will come out . As for pedals I used to buy them and keep them but have the philosophy if I'm not using it someone else can find a use for it. Having said that I love pedals and almost have all I need . They are a very interesting way to craft a better song.
Good luck for your gig.
Anthony

Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:25 pm

I had lunch with a retired friend today and we were watching it snow outside the window. We are having a major winter storm. The Robins are back and are confused!

GB, it sounds like you are preparing. I think back a year and a half ago when my daughter joined our band. I will never forget the first practice that we had. She was totally prepared and had charted about 60 songs. Her and I had gone over them and at practice Steve wanted her to capo on many songs (actually a great idea) and I was amazed at here ability to transpose. She later told me that she had cried half the way home from that practice. Her first gig was interesting as she wanted to work behind us. She did the first night and the second night we had her up front. I am amazed at how relaxed and proficient she is today. Coming home last weekend (3 Hr drive) we talked about how difficult it was to get started and I commented that I had confidence in her from the start because of her abilities and desire to learn. She had put in countless hours before that first practice. My point is that it will be the product that you deliver that will determine your future crowds. It is hard to know what works until you try it. Our lead player uses some pedals and also a Roland guitar synth on quite a few songs. It is used sparingly as it is easy to overdo synth. Another thing that has been effective for us is our many styles of music that we cover. We are a cover band and variety is essential for a cover band. So I hope you have fun, try to go in relaxed and most of all, have fun! We all have train wrecks at times but how you recover is what counts. Sometime people don't even notice. -- Darwin

Edit, I just took this out our front door.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:59 pm

I'll echo what Scott says about the lottery - don't do it! In my experience door charges only work for venues that people actually want to go to. We had an incredibly painful year long monthly residency at what must be one of the most depressing venues on this continent where the venue (and one of the band members too - the same one who wants to sell our crap CD for $20, but never pays for any of the music he downloads) insisted on a cover charge of $10. Not only did it scare some of their (subnormal) regulars away for the day, but it discouraged a lot of people that may have come in the first place.

I've got a G&L Buckshot overdrive, a very, very nice tube-screamer, and a BBE Tremor which is the best tremolo I'e tried. I love having the two speed settings on the one pedal and I'd like to see this feature on other pedals, the Soul Vibe in particular.

Darwin - this is your Spring!?!?!

Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:58 pm

I'd also hold off with the lottery. Best of luck packing the house!

I've always enjoyed experimenting with pedals. I don't have a "regular" setup, and generally only pull them out when the mood strikes (mainly because my free time for playing is after the kids go to bed, so it's almost always unplugged). I will probably clear out a bunch of pedals one day to fund a guitar or bass. Most of my pedal use is with Moogerfoogers, so the others collect dust.

As far as BBE/G&L pedals go I have a Bench Press and a Double Barrel. I've been impressed with them both. The Bench Press has a bit more of a "squished" sound than I prefer. It won't ever replace the Carl Martin at the front of my chain, but it definitely has a place as a limiter for the times I use a digital delay. I think it works very nicely in that application. I don't have experience with any top-shelf booster pedals to compare with the Double Barrel, but it seems to work well for pushing a tube amp.

Ken

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:21 am

KenC wrote:I've always enjoyed experimenting with pedals. I don't have a "regular" setup, and generally only pull them out when the mood strikes (mainly because my free time for playing is after the kids go to bed, so it's almost always unplugged).

used to do the same thing for years! Depending on the gig/situation, I'd arm my pedal board with the necessary tools. Like if we played a disco tune, I'd put a phaser on there or distortion if the song called for a burning guitar solo. However, recently I don't do gigs, so I have kinda "found my sound" as a result. It looks the pedal boards on my board (Barber Tonepress, Budda Wah, Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz, modded Boss DD-3 and Loop Station) seem to be here to stay for a while. Part of that also comes from me loosing patience with buying new gear that only sounds a little bit better or different. For me at least right now, the best way improve my sound better is to spend more time focusing on my pick than the pedals.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:24 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:In my experience door charges only work for venues that people actually want to go to. We had an incredibly painful year long monthly residency at what must be one of the most depressing venues on this continent where the venue (and one of the band members too - the same one who wants to sell our crap CD for $20, but never pays for any of the music he downloads) insisted on a cover charge of $10. Not only did it scare some of their (subnormal) regulars away for the day, but it discouraged a lot of people that may have come in the first place.

You do have a point about the people who actually want to go, but the only performances I've attended without a cover in this country were free concerts in a park. No doors, no door charge.

Where was this venue, BTW?

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:32 am

darwinohm wrote:I think back a year and a half ago when my daughter joined our band. I will never forget the first practice that we had. She was totally prepared and had charted about 60 songs. Her and I had gone over them and at practice Steve wanted her to capo on many songs (actually a great idea) and I was amazed at here ability to transpose. She later told me that she had cried half the way home from that practice.

Darwin,

That's so cool that you play music with your kid! I have two little boys, and fantasise about forming a trio with them someday. I've also felt like your daughter did after that first rehearsal, but it sounds like she did the work. Totally hear your point about laying the foundation with diligent practice, though I haven't really practiced this week because I've been preoccupied with other things. :mrgreen: Thanks for the reminder.

That weather is crazy. I've seen similar things from friends in northern Japan today, which is about the same latitude as the northeast in America. I work for a weather company actually, and I've noticed the seasonal patterns have been more and more unpredictable over the last 9 years.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:40 am

LeoF The Champion wrote:Respect to you in looking to find new ways.I hope the venue is packed and you just never know how many people will come out . As for pedals I used to buy them and keep them but have the philosophy if I'm not using it someone else can find a use for it. They are a very interesting way to craft a better song.

Agree with your philosophy about pedals. For me there is no better pedal to craft a song than the Boss Loop Station.

Despite all the naysayers, I want to see what happens with the lottery.The music business is badly warped, and I don't want to accept that. So I want to try a different business model, if you can call it that. Part of the inspiration for my lottery idea was a story I read about early King Crimson gigs where they had to pass a collection plate around to pay the band. Another thing is just that I feel I have to give the audience something more than just music. For me, that would be enough. But a lot of the people I'm inviting are not music maniacs like I am. It's hard even for me to describe the content music I love with words, but very easy to tell my friends, "I saw a singer with an afro who played a Sesame Street song and then held a lottery in the middle of it."

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:45 am

gitman001 wrote:You guys should keep the $ for yourselves...Now if we are talking thousands of dollars, the story may be different... but from the sounds of it I don't think we are. I am sure you and your band have be working hard to put this thing together - Personally I think it would not be fair to you or your band mates to give a cut to some random audience member.

It always sucks trying to pack a venue - I totally understand where you coming from - But you are the ones up on that stage, and should be rewarded as such!

Scott,

You're not wrong. It is very tempting to just keep it all. Part of my idea is about giving something back to the audience besides music to show appreciation for their support. After all, I'm nobody. Why should they come hear me? Without them, we will be the proverbial tree falling in the forest with no one to hear...

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:41 am

Greenblues wrote:
LeoF The Champion wrote:Respect to you in looking to find new ways.I hope the venue is packed and you just never know how many people will come out . As for pedals I used to buy them and keep them but have the philosophy if I'm not using it someone else can find a use for it. They are a very interesting way to craft a better song.

Agree with your philosophy about pedals. For me there is no better pedal to craft a song than the Boss Loop Station.

Despite all the naysayers, I want to see what happens with the lottery.The music business is badly warped, and I don't want to accept that. So I want to try a different business model, if you can call it that. Part of the inspiration for my lottery idea was a story I read about early King Crimson gigs where they had to pass a collection plate around to pay the band. Another thing is just that I feel I have to give the audience something more than just music. For me, that would be enough. But a lot of the people I'm inviting are not music maniacs like I am. It's hard even for me to describe the content music I love with words, but very easy to tell my friends, "I saw a singer with an afro who played a Sesame Street song and then held a lottery in the middle of it."

i think you'd be wise to listen to everyone. just play. it seems like you have no confidence in yourself. you don't think that you are worth it for the audience just to watch you. so this lottery is not about the audience, it is you not feeling adequate.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:32 pm

louis cyfer wrote: just play. it seems like you have no confidence in yourself. you don't think that you are worth it for the audience just to watch you. so this lottery is not about the audience, it is you not feeling adequate.

Correct, as usual Louis.

I gave it some serious thought, and decided to drop the idea for this time, anyway. As pointed out by Scott, the amount can't offer more value to experience for the audience than the music should, and with one less gimmick to worry about, I'll be able to provide them with that experience.