Friday Lunch Report 12 April 2012

Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:43 am

One more lunch report from me, then back to my cave...

Lunch today - grilled salmon with asparagus, cup of yogurt, and a glass of seltzer.

G&L question: Is there a feature or characteristic of G&Ls that makes you crazy? Maybe the headstock shape? Maybe the 3-bolt neck? For me it's the screwed-on serial number plate on the back of the headstock. Just can't deal with it at all. Maybe I should seek therapy.

G&L pic of the day: The model that almost was... the G&L F-150.

Have a great weekend!

GG

Re: Friday Lunch Report 12 April 2012

Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:50 am

Lunch: Steak Burrito with Guacamole

G&L Question: The lack of forearm and belly cut on the ASAT body. There are 18 ASAT based models and nary one of them are offered standard with a belly cut or forearm contour. If I want one, i have to special order.

G&L picture of the Day: GGJaguar, tell us the story of this beast! I love the look of it, especially the pups and pg shape.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:59 am

the lack of an available heel contour and lower bout contour. imnsho, it is absolutely idiotic to not even make this an available option. i agree with pat about the belly and forearm cut on asats, but since every g&l is a special order, it is not a big issue.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:02 am

GGJaguar wrote:G&L question: Is there a feature or characteristic of G&Ls that makes you crazy? Maybe the headstock shape? Maybe the 3-bolt neck? For me it's the screwed-on serial number plate on the back of the headstock.

I don't like the looks of the serial number plate either.

GGJaguar wrote:G&L pic of the day: The model that almost was... the G&L F-150.

I'm glad they left the F-150 name to Ford. To me the name F-150 translates to low quality junk.

Sprinter 92

Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:11 am

GG, had some lemon pie for lunch! I'm on a health kick.

I dislike the serial number plate. I earlier said it was a no go for me but I have to admit to having 5 of them with this plate. I try not look at it. I always admired the waterslide logo as it was so perfect. Like Louis, I would think that a sculptured heel would be a plus.

Nice picture. They had a half size pickguard. Really a vintage look and it probably is very vintage. -- Thanks for your posts this week GG -- Darwin

Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:16 am

No lunch, powder-coat pickguards, very nice guitar! Cheers!

Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:52 am

Thing that bothers me?
All the different ASAT models with similar and confusing names.
ASAT Special, Deluxe, Special Deluxe, Classic, Bluesboy, I'm probably forgetting some. It must be a marketers nightmare!

A minor quibble, but still it keeps me up at night :rolleyes: - well....not really.

Jeff

Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:16 pm

GGJaguar wrote:One more lunch report from me, then back to my cave...

Is this the cave we can only see shadows on the wall from all the activity inside?

Nice to see you catch a little light of day once in a while, and your input and sharp wit is priceless,
thanks!

GGJaguar wrote:G&L question: Is there a feature or characteristic of G&Ls that makes you crazy? Maybe the headstock shape? Maybe the 3-bolt neck? For me it's the screwed-on serial number plate on the back of the headstock. Just can't deal with it at all. Maybe I should seek therapy.

Looks like we could get a group rate :crazy:
So I'm not the only one daydreaming of ;
- how to best fill screwhholes on a brand new guitar,where to stash it(the walls of the control cavity?),
- replacing it with a brass plate to quell dead spots and guarantee more neck dive,
- inlaying into the headstock and put a good gloss over it,
- putting an RFID strip in it so it actually has a purpose I can justify,
- hit my thumb with a hammer so everything is in perspective :shh:
...or maybe Darwin's approach is best....just stay cool 8-)

GGJaguar wrote:G&L pic of the day: The model that almost was... the G&L F-150.

Wow...neato !!! Please tell us more :)
I have an SC-250(IIRC) decal...I always wondered what the blueprints of that one looked like.

elwood

Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:35 pm

GG,

Thanks for your insight and interest in Leo era G&L guitars.

The plate on the back of the head looks like a mistake. It looks silly.

Don't get me started,

y2kc

Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:20 pm

Looks like a couple of months later they changed the pickguard and called it an S-500

And Steve if you didn't live so far from me I'd come over and blow the doors off of your Chevy with my chipped up dual turbo breast ;)

Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:40 pm

westsideduck wrote:
And Steve if you didn't live so far from me I'd come over and blow the doors off of your Chevy with my chipped up dual turbo breast ;)

Would you care to rephrase that?

edg

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:10 pm

guitar_ed wrote:
westsideduck wrote:

Would you care to rephrase that?

edg

good eye ... LOL ... I didn't catch that earlier

cabbage , potatoes and ham for lunch .
I agree on the belly cut and arm contour .... should be standard

Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:17 pm

I hate the new serial number plates. IMO they look cheap, and seem like something that is there only for ease of manufacturing.

Ken

Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:42 pm

I will not necessarily defend the S/N plate but I cannot say I'm offended by it either. Actually, I think it is stylish and well made. My main peeve, if any, is that it is easily replaceable making it harder to figure out whether it is real or not.

Nice F-150! As curious as others about the history of that guitar.

- Jos

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:25 pm

KenC wrote:I hate the new serial number plates. IMO they look cheap, and seem like something that is there only for ease of manufacturing.

Ken

On second thought, G&L serial numbers do look good on two types of plates: bridge plates and neck plates. It's those headstock ones I dont' care for!

Ken

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:36 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:I agree on the belly cut and arm contour .... should be standard

I strongly disagree. I tried to order an SC2 WITHOUT the contours ands was told it simply wouldn't happen. I like that they're an option on the ASAT and think they should be left that way. IMO they detract from the bare-bones, club-like feel that style of guitar should have.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:48 pm

I was refering to jags ASAT's request
quote , G&L Question: The lack of forearm and belly cut on the ASAT body. There are 18 ASAT based models and nary one of them are offered standard with a belly cut or forearm contour. If I want one, i have to special order.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:16 am

Greg,
The guitar in the picture is very interesting. I have it's twin although the neck pocket has been marked as S 300. The date stamps on mine are from August of '81. I just sent Gabe a bunch of detailed pics of it because the pickups are very different in mine. The E string poles are fixed while the rest of the poles are adjustable. The pickguard on mine is also aluminum with a puff can black paint job ( grounded ). We were also experimenting with different finishes so that we weren't just doing what we did with the MusicMan line.
It looks like yours never made it to polishing either which was normal for protos back then. That color was never used in production as you know because it was boring. You just can't make Poplar look like Mahogany with finish. There is a picture of mine in the gallery under fred finisher. I monkeyed around with the controls so I changed out the plate so that I didn't have to drill the original which is why it doesn't fit quite right. Unfortunately, changing the controls didn't make me play any better. The only endorsement deal I would qualify for would be from Dyson or Electrolux :lol:
Fred

Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:40 pm

i don't like the tuners on my asat classic... putting new strings on it is a pain in the :think: ... you know what i mean... :mrgreen:

Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:56 pm

meursault wrote:i don't like the tuners on my asat classic... putting new strings on it is a pain in the :think: ... you know what i mean... :mrgreen:

are you kidding? g&l has the best designed non locking tuners. it forces the string down so the angle is right. you might need to learn how to properly string a guitar.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:04 pm

Things I don't like about G&L's? The headstock being slightly too long to fit in a standard case. The input jacks on both my ASAT Special and ASAT Classic randomly unscrew themselves and cause a bad contact with the cable. And yes, I really, really dislike the new serial number tag. Thankfully the upsides of a G&L outweigh these negatives many times over though.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:25 pm

GGJaguar wrote:One more lunch report from me, then back to my cave...

Lunch today - grilled salmon with asparagus, cup of yogurt, and a glass of seltzer.

G&L question: Is there a feature or characteristic of G&Ls that makes you crazy? Maybe the headstock shape? Maybe the 3-bolt neck? For me it's the screwed-on serial number plate on the back of the headstock. Just can't deal with it at all. Maybe I should seek therapy.

G&L pic of the day: The model that almost was... the G&L F-150.

Have a great weekend!

GG

Bastid! I love it regardless of neck heel contour. What a treasure. - ed

PS: On behalf of all the morons and other worthy folks here, we thank you for a most insightful and special week. Hope you'll come out and play more. We'll all be the richer for it!

Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:57 pm

louis cyfer wrote:are you kidding? g&l has the best designed non locking tuners. it forces the string down so the angle is right. you might need to learn how to properly string a guitar.

agreed... but it's quite uneasy to avoid strings to lap itself...

now, i'm waiting your enlightenments and advices :mrgreen:

Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:01 am

meursault wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:are you kidding? g&l has the best designed non locking tuners. it forces the string down so the angle is right. you might need to learn how to properly string a guitar.

agreed... but it's quite uneasy to avoid strings to lap itself...

now, i'm waiting your enlightenments and advices :mrgreen:

you need a lot less string with the g&l tuners. enough to maybe go twice around. stick it in the hole, and watch it put down force because of the narrowing design. if you let it go down too quickly and have too much string, you will overlap.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:44 am

louis cyfer wrote:
you need a lot less string with the g&l tuners. enough to maybe go twice around. stick it in the hole, and watch it put down force because of the narrowing design. if you let it go down too quickly and have too much string, you will overlap.

this is the tricky part for me...

otherwise this is exactly what i'm doin'...

maybe i'm not dexterous enough...

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:38 am

GGJaguar wrote:

Have a great weekend!

GG

This just screams an "S" body companion to the Fallout. I LOVE the pickguard on this guitar. Skyhawk returns?

Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:23 pm

That was like an ambush lunch report. Here's some awesome... ...bye!