Lunch Report, Tuesday 10 April 2013

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:44 am

Lunch will be tuna on whole wheat, some carrots, and glass of seltzer.

G&L Question: What model do you think is most under rated or overlooked? For me it's the alder body ASAT and ASAT Special. The early maple body examples certainly have their fans as do those with ash bodies, and the semi-hollow versions are quite popular, too. But I think the large MFDs in a solid alder body have a really nice harmonically rich sound that is quite different than the others. I think gets overlooked because it's just a "plain old standard model". No flame maple top, not semi-hollow, etc.

G&L pic of the day: Thanks to KenC, I finally found a 1990 L-1000. This one is from early 1990 and has a maple body (sorry for the crappy pic). Wunkays from 1987-91 are soooo hard to find. I found two in Japan like this one, but the dealers wouldn't sell overseas. The others I've seen (solid colors and natural) were at guitar shows in the mid-1990s and in private collections. Had I known how hard it was going to be to find one, I never would have passed them up back in the day. This one sounds a little more strident than other mid-80s L1Ks, but that could be an artifact of the new roundwound nickle-plated strings. OMG mode is more punchy and not as bassy as I expected which is interesting/different (a good thing in my book). Now to find the elusive '87, '89 and '91... 8-)

Re: Lunch Report, Tuesday 10 April 2013

Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:20 am

Lunch is Caribou Cosecha de Oro with a sandwich to determined later. Caribou was bought out and is closing all the local locations.

G&L Question: What model do you think is most under rated or overlooked?

The recently discontinued ASAT Classic Custom. The soapbar MFD at the neck seemed too difficult to differentiate for retailers and consumers. I think it sounds better than the bluesboy. The P-90 neck model may be easier for people to wrap their heads around.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:58 am

I second the Classic Custom. Dig the bass too...

Cheers,

Will

Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:03 pm

Lunch was a "Club Wrap" that tasted like a wlub crap.

Overlooked G&L--Higher-end Invaders, given what some people pay for the same type guitar from Ibanez, Suhr, etc.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:34 pm

GGJaguar wrote:
G&L Question: What model do you think is most under rated or overlooked?

I have three G&L's on my under rated and overlooked list. First is the Cavalier. The second one is the first style Invader. The third one is the Superhawk.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:12 pm

Hey Greg,
Tuna sandwich god me too, seems to be my couple of times a week lunch.
As for the under rated G&L , I'm with Sprinter. The original Invader is my number 1 under rated guitar on the planet.Just like a rampage but more versatile with the extra pick ups . And it doesn't have the Rampage price.
Now if only I could find one.
Anthony

Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:40 pm

No lunch today.

Kens L-1000 is a great looking bass. It appears that some of the oldies are hard to find. I wonder how many people thought the early G&Ls would never become collectible? Back in the 90s they would still be a relatively new company. Many of us have let soem go that we now wish we had kept.

As for underrated models, I suspect it would be some that were discontinued. I personally think that G&Ls in general are underrated by those who know little about them. They are still relatively unknown. It still amazes me at the number of people who have looked at mine that have never heard of them. I hadn't heard of them until less than 5 years ago.--Darwin

Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:53 pm

I agree on the alder bodied 'plain vanilla' ones being overlooked. One of mine is a pretty heavy piece of alder and it sounds just like you describe it - harmonically rich.

Very nice wunkay, and I like that name too!

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:18 pm

Hi Greg,

I decided to circle back around and check that Wunkay out. When I saw it was gone I wondered whether you had scooped it up. Please let me know when you're ready for the "catch & release". I will probably be in the mood for fishing that day! I'm really curious to know how the large MFD sounds on a maple body, compared to ash or mahogany.

Underrated G&L models: I agree with the others who have mentioned the original Invaders and Superhawks. I haven't had the chance to play an Invader yet, but I absolutely love my Superhawk. I've seen some incredible deals on Invaders, but they've all been black and I have too many black guitars as it is. I'll probably latch onto the first one I see in any other color.

Ken

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:27 pm

i read the lunches and i wonder, does anyone care about their health anymore?

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:45 pm

All of the G&Ls are under-rated, but I would think any of the Leo era guitars especially so. Of the newer models, it's definitely the Invader models. They really don't get respect from the metal crowd, and few here play them either. But they really are top-notch.

Shame on you guys for your lousy eating habits! Me....I had a slice of sausage, pepperoni, mushroom pizza.

And that's why my body is the SIZE of a temple! LOL! But it was goooood!

Bill

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:51 pm

GGJaguar wrote:G&L Question: What model do you think is most under rated or overlooked? For me it's the alder body ASAT and ASAT Special. The early maple body examples certainly have their fans as do those with ash bodies, and the semi-hollow versions are quite popular, too. But I think the large MFDs in a solid alder body have a really nice harmonically rich sound that is quite different than the others. I think gets overlooked because it's just a "plain old standard model". No flame maple top, not semi-hollow, etc.]

I have a late 90's, plain Jane, alder body, ASAT Special... in black (so it sounds even better! ;) )... and it's HEAVY! Feckin' plank! Once I got the jack replaced it has become my (once again) #1. Great guitar!

--GDub

Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:07 pm

louis cyfer wrote:i read the lunches and i wonder, does anyone care about their health anymore?

Nah ... That why we need people like you louis to turn our diets and exercise regimen around. No guilt without transgression ;)

Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:24 pm

Nice to see you tale the LR Greg!

Had a wonderful lunch at La Vita è Bella with a healthy meal of salad, a little bit of rigatoni Boscaiola, and a glass of Nero d'Avola wine.

Beautiful L-1000 you found there Greg. Very nice burst.
GGJaguar wrote:G&L Question: What model do you think is most under rated or overlooked?

Beyond the G-200, which is very much appreciated under G&L collectors (but people outside these circles wouldn't have a clue what we're talking about) I will give you my list of pleasant surprises :
  • Late '80's maple body ASAT III: great allround guitar with wonderful tones.
  • S-3: Another workhorse guitar. Had a discussion last week with people in the shop at Seattle's The Guitar Store because they got the blue S-3 listed on the prototype page. But when I got my '98 S-3, I was impressed by the tones. Maybe it was because the Trinity is one of m other favorite guitars and had already 'adapted' to dealing with that large middle pup.
  • Any and all early-80's 'entry level' instrument of which I have an SC-1, SC-2, SC-3, and SB-2: man, are these some fun instrument and way, way better than their 'entry level' moniker may indicate.

- Jos

Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:27 pm

I have a late 90's, plain Jane, alder body, ASAT Special... in black (so it sounds even better! ;) )... and it's HEAVY! Feckin' plank! Once I got the jack replaced it has become my (once again) #1. Great guitar!

--GDub

I dig it!

Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:31 pm

louis cyfer wrote:i read the lunches and i wonder, does anyone care about their health anymore?

Oh Louis. Why not save this for a KFC day or something. Tuna, carrots, water? That's pretty much what I'd eat - if I cared. Ha! - ed

Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:39 pm

Wow G! I haven't had much time for the board of late, and I was pleasantly surprised to see your post. We're honored.

There are a lot of models I haven't seen in the flesh, but as far as overlooked models, I have to say the Z-2. But my definition of overlooked is probably different than many folks'. To me, it's overlooked because in my mind, this is a model that could have been (and might yet be) successful if produced in real quantity, especially if some effort (read: dollars) was expended in its behalf.

Nice L1K. Can I ask you a quick question: I have an '81 slot-pole, black, ebony board. What are the rough probabilities in terms of body wood? I'm not so curious as to want to take this one apart. Thanks! - ed

Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:19 am

Boogie Bill wrote:All of the G&Ls are under-rated, but I would think any of the Leo era guitars especially so.

haha ! fun... i was about to say : is there something like an "underrated" G&L ? :happy0007:

to me it's only possible to underrate a G&L if it hasn't been tried ! (not sure about my english is correct with that sentence ! :think: )

Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:37 am

Cool L-1000,
I wasn't aware of how scarce the later ones were.
I can't get over how nice my '88-89 L-2000 plays and sounds.

Also thanks for the page on the EJ-12-A Ampeg Jet. I was trying to figure out how to connect it to other amps
and you gave me info I needed to move forward .

Any ideas about this '92 ? employee guitar, or maybe a Legacy proto:
Reno Craigslist posting

elwood

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:28 am

Elwood wrote:I can't get over how nice my '88-89 L-2000 plays and sounds.

Nice maple body on that one! My fav L2K is also an '89 with maple body. Yeah, everyone wants the early mahogany body models, but you have to take each bass or guitar individually on its own merits.

Elwood wrote:Also thanks for the page on the EJ-12-A Ampeg Jet. I was trying to figure out how to connect it to other amps and you gave me info I needed to move forward.

You need to get the Ampeg book. :)

Elwood wrote:Any ideas about this '92 ? employee guitar, or maybe a Legacy proto

Looks like an employee or parts guitar - Skyhawk Sig body with ASAT/ASAT Classic neck and custom decal work.

GG

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:33 am

zapcosongs wrote:I have an '81 slot-pole, black, ebony board. What are the rough probabilities in terms of body wood? I'm not so curious as to want to take this one apart.

Most likely ash or maple, mahogany would be uncommon, and poplar would be the least common. Remove one screw from the control plate and if the wood is brown, it's mahogany. If not, you've narrowed the possibilities to the other three woods.

GG

Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:32 pm

Hey Greg,In regards to years , I note your comment Wunkays from 1987-91 are soooo hard to find. I found two in Japan like this one, but the dealers wouldn't sell overseas.
Are Mahogany Wunkays from 1984 hard to come by too ?
Regards
Anthony

Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:33 pm

OMG theoretically won't kick as hard on an all maple L-1000 (provided the circuit is the same) because the wood won't sound as deep as other woods, particularily mahogany. I bet that bass stings like a mofo though, and the low end is still there and tight, not unlike the first style SB-2 you sold me years ago (and I still have). Heck, here's the SB-2 in action on local public access (2:55 in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJHOGrdS2z4&t=2m55s

Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:40 pm

GregG wrote:
> G&L Question: What model do you think is most under rated or overlooked?

The first style SB2/Lynx largely due to the small numbers but the L-1000 is the biggest overlook in my book because it is just an unusually awesome design. The mahogany bodied ones in particular are just awesome.

-Brock

Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:50 pm

Brock wrote:OMG theoretically won't kick as hard on an all maple L-1000 (provided the circuit is the same) because the wood won't sound as deep as other woods, particularily mahogany. I bet that bass stings like a mofo though, and the low end is still there and tight, not unlike the first style SB-2 you sold me years ago (and I still have). Heck, here's the SB-2 in action on local public access (2:55 in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJHOGrdS2z4&t=2m55s

Is that a nail? ;+) - ed

Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:38 am

Is that a nail?