The Monday/Tuesday "someone's gotta do it" report.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:51 pm

It's almost dinnertime Tuesday here, better get something done!

Lunch today was a couple of dim sum things at a Hong Kong Chinese restaurant. I had the sui mai and beancurd rolls. Porky, garlicy goodness.

Last night I watched "The Last Waltz" (if you haven't sen it then stop reading and watch it NOW!) for the umpteenth time, but for the first time with a proper sound system. What a great concert/movie. My all time favourite Band song is "The Shape I'm In", and this is a highlight for me in the movie. Here it is
[youtube]65s_dWMY5e8[/youtube]

Got any favourite concert videos?

Lately I've had the urge to get a guitar with two humbuckers. This urge reached a peak today and so I went to a place a bit down the road that is the local Heritage dealer to check some out. Not too bad at all, but I found the edges of the fingerboard uncomfortably sharp on both the ones I played. For $2500 I'd much prefer a G&L and a new amp! G&Ls just feel better than anything else I play now!

Anyone have a G&L with two humbuckers? Lets see some pics!

Re: The Monday/Tuesday "someone's gotta do it" report.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:27 am

i have a few double humbucker guitars. a washburn les paul, a westone, a 335 and an old kraftsman. i don't like shorter scale guitars, but that is one of the reasons a gibson sounds a certain way. i do prefer single coils though.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:27 am

Hey Blarg, alright, alright I'll stop watching George Harrison Living Material World and put on the Last Waltz. I may or not have a 1984/1989 Humbucker Interceptor . You might see photos once I finally get divorced. It's living in Australia, maybe
Anthony

Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:23 am

LeoF The Champion wrote: I may or not have a 1984/1989 Humbucker Interceptor . You might see photos once I finally get divorced. It's living in Australia, maybe
Anthony

hehe...I hear ya. I might have an '87 SC-3 in ocean beach,CA . Wouldn't it be nice if they came home*.
(*the guitars that is)

Thanks for keepin us on track Blarg.

I'm working on a '72 SG , I put a cheapo gretsch bucker at the neck and a mystery active bucker at the bridge. There might be a Dynasonic (hagstrom,gretsch) or TV jones in the future at the neck.
The 90's gretsch pup I used ( they go for like 15 bucks each used) has a nice warm tone and with the active bridge pup it really puts many colors at my fingertips. Interesting the bridge Pup from the same Duo-jet sounds like crap. I might get to dissect that one for fun...maybe add a magnet , or just sell it for some
grocery $.

My 70 goldtop LP has a Velvet Hammer Dual 54 at the neck...I usually use it split though, one of the few buckers I have that sounds close to a strat SC when split.
My Black '86 ASAT has a couple barts in it. It's get's a pretty good compressed LP PAF sound considering it's
not a shorter scale.The 25" radius helps with that feel.
I'll have to find some G&L soapbar MFDs and a new guard sometime. It'll be my po'man's Broadcaster.

I found an Aria Pro TA1200, most beautiful 335 style I've had a chance to play, the pickups are a bit boomy and I might have to add a cap and small resistor to tame the neck pup. I've noticed it get's that great jazz tone but only with a bit of attenuation with the Vol pot.

elwood

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:40 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:
Anyone have a G&L with two humbuckers? Lets see some pics!

I have three G&L's that are equipped with two humbuckers.

'95 Asat

'96 Asat Deluxe

'83 Cavalier

I started out playing two humbucker guitars in the late 70's and early 80's. After years of playing S-500's I have gone back to two humbucker guitars.

Since you mentioned Heritage guitars, here's a couple of pics of my 25th Anniversary H-535:

Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:16 am

Hey Jamie,

I have yet to see "The Last Waltz"! I guess ignorance is bliss, i didn't really know i was missing anything... I will try and check it out this weekend. :thumbup:

I have been working my way through the new Zep "Celebration Day", I will say it is tough listening to everything tuned down. (I haven't watched it with a guitar nearby but they must be down a whole step)

One of my Fav's is the Foo Fighters "Everywhere But Home". Maybe because I was at the filming of it in Toronto a number of years back!

As far as dual buckers, i have an earlier Ibanez Artstar (335 clone). It plays and sounds fantastic, just doesn't get much love anymore. I was at the Gibson dealer the other day and they had a brand new 335 finished in a trans blue (which was no where near as nice as the G&L trans blue BTW) that had a sale price of $3100!!! Add some good old Canadian Tax and it puts the thing at $3565.00. I also would prefer like 3 G&L's before i would go for something like that.

That SC-2 should be along anytime, no? Cant wait to see pics....

Scott

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:34 am

Elwood - A goldtop Les Paul is one of the most beautiful looking guitars on the planet. I just wish I liked how they feel :(

Steve - Did you get that blue deluxe recently? I think I saw it on ebay. And that Heritage is beautiful, just like every one I saw today. Their finishes are superb.

Scott - You're missing out. Eric Clapton at the best I've seen him (I'm not a big fan of EC but this performance makes me reconsider every time I see it), Joni Mitchell singing an absolutely brilliant song, Dr John being his charismatic self, Paul Butterfield, Muddy Waters, Van Morrison, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Emmylou Harris, The Staples family.... you get the picture. The sound mix is excellent AND its "directed" by Matin Scorsese. Seriously, watch it!!! I've got to get Celebration Day, had it in my hands in the music shop the other day but opted for something else at the last minute.

And the SC-2 shouldn't be too far away, its been 2 agonizingly long months since I ordered it.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:58 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:

Steve - Did you get that blue deluxe recently? I think I saw it on ebay. And that Heritage is beautiful, just like every one I saw today. Their finishes are superb.

I'm the guy that has been trying to sell it.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:06 am

Hey, thanks for jumping-in. Lunch for me will be nothing; dentist @ 11:30... I want a light 2HB G&L and hopefully will find one soon.

Cheers,

Will

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:03 am

Love the Last Waltz. It probably the best produced concert video ever made! I've got two humbucker guitars, a Thorn CS and Gretsch PowerJet. I've owned the usual line up of Gibsons but just can't work 4 knobs. I've been a Strat man too long I guess.

RickT

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:29 am

I too have to admit to never having watched the "Last Waltz". I will get on that tout suite. I was a big U2 fan and I remember watching "Live at Red Rocks " about 67 times or so. The last concert film I watched was the Stones " Some Girls , live in Texas 78 ". Great sound , great blue ray worth picking up. I recently sold my Gretsch Corvette so I am currently humbuckerless. I always wanted to buy a Gibson SG, but then the G&L bug got me so I keep putting it off. I also agree that a Les Paul gold top is a beautiful guitar as well...I will probably still get another G&L before that. Then there's amps. Its so hard to know where to park the cash.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:04 am

My favorite concert video is SRV live at Montreux (sp?) they show him getting booed after every song in 1982 and then '85 its like nobody can scream enough.

Never heard of the Last Waltz. Looks cool so I have it on request now at the library.

I have my Epiphone LP:

It has been upgraded: Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck, Custom-5 in the bridge plus Gotoh bridge+tailpiece and TUSQ nut. Also had it professionally setup.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:41 pm

Good Concert Videos:

James Taylor Live at the Beacon
The Who (two concerts from early- and late-70's): Les Pauls, SG's and HIWATTS!
Loggins and Messina at the Santa Barbara Bowl

G&L's

I have an early 90's ASAT that is routed for three MFD's, but the original owner changed it to two DiMarzio humbucking p/u's with coil tapping. This is one of the finest guitars I have ever owned--highly figured ash w/rosewood neck.

Also, I have the Invader Deluxe (I think). It has the SD in the bridge and the Gotoh's mid and neck w/coil splitting on the SD. The Gotoh's are humbucking pickups technically. Again, a fantastic sounding and beautiful guitar. Ebony, flat-radius board.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:48 pm

Agreed on "The Last Waltz." I don't spend much time watching anything on TV, so I hardly ever watch anything more than once. In spite of that I like Stevie Ray Vaughan at El Mocambo and the Beatles A Hard Day's Night.

I have a couple of what I consider very good dual-humbucker guitars. My most favorite is a 1976 Yamaha SG1500, bought new in '76 in a guitar store in Oakland, California. The other is a Heritage H535 that I bought about 10 years ago used locally for a very good price. Both are keepers for the long term.

Kit

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:17 pm

For the G&Ls with Humbuckers:

Image Image Image

"The Last Waltz" is in my DVD library, I can't say it's the concert film which impressed me the most, probably because it isn't my favored music, but I liked the film though.

One of my favorites might be Pearl Jam - Immagin in Cornice
Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immagine_in_Cornice
, but probably because I'm a fan and it deals in Europe.

No concert video, but impressed me a lot: Stephane Grappelli: A Life in the Jazz Century (http://www.amazon.com/Stephane-Grappell ... B00009ATWF)

Shocking, 200 $ used. I can't understand, I bought it for a regular price before they stop producing, it seems. Long time they couldn't gather money for that film project. Then it finally happened just near before Stephane passed away. So it was great luck, he was still there to tell the story of his live by himself, which is amazing. And now they don't even try to get their money back? Beside all material from Grappelli, there's also all known film material of Django Reinhardt on the DVD-Set.

Another concert video I remember when asked for my favorites: Bireli Lagrene & Friends- Live Jazz A Vienne http://www.amazon.com/Bireli-Lagrene-Fr ... B0002TT0H8

Gypsy swing isn't my every days music, in fact I'm listing to it seldom, but impressive though. ;-)

phpBB [video]

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:20 pm

I love the Band and i want to see "The Last Waltz" in its entirety. The Band was a 20th century musical phenom!

I love the Beatles movies, Woodstock and the one about the Canadian Train trip across the country in 1970 with Janice Joplin, the Band and a bunch of other artists. I can't remember the name of the movie!

I have some two humbucker guitars. A Les Paul studio and an SG.
They have the Gibson vibe between them.

The only humbucker G&Ls I own are basses: L-1000,L-2000, L-2500 and an L-5000.
They have the G&L vibe in spades.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:48 pm

I love the Beatles movies, Woodstock and the one about the Canadian Train trip across the country in 1970 with Janice Joplin, the Band and a bunch of other artists. I can't remember the name of the movie!

The song MIGHT AS WELL, from Garcia's album REFLECTIONS, was written as a result from that train trip and is filled with imagery from the experience.

Some of the worst footage from the Dead, but some of the best of Janice.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:47 pm

Jamie, a day late as I have been Rune Stoning all day.

I liked the music clip but have not seen the movie

I love music videos in general. Some of my favs are Hell Freezes Over, James Taylor- Pull Over, Simon & Garfunkel in Central Park and Queen Live in Wimbley although I didn't like all the Queen material , they did some cool stuff.

I have several Humbucker guitars including the G&L F-100 return. Don't have time to post photos. Thanks for stepping in Jamie. Back to Guitar Builder testing!-- Darwin

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:36 pm

bassman wrote:I love the Beatles movies, Woodstock and the one about the Canadian Train trip across the country in 1970 with Janice Joplin, the Band and a bunch of other artists. I can't remember the name of the movie!

I can't remember the name of that movie either, but its a good one. The thing I remember most about it is a totally wasted Rick Danko and Janis totally wailing.

Miles - That orange ist besonders schoen.

Kit - Another unsurprisigly stunning looking Heritage guitar! A Yamaha SG2000 is something I can see myself owning one day, but wow they're expensive :shock:

Ldavaz - Welcome aboard! Always good to see newbies to the forum in the Lunch Reports section. Be sure to sign as as the weekly reporter :thumbup:

BF - I like the 'Live at Montreaux' series, I have a bunch of them. The Rory Gallagher one is fantastic.

Tim - Beards are back in fashion, but fedoras are out. Check this hilariously titled webpage: http://lonelynerdsinfedoras.tumblr.com/

Glvourot - Stones concert footage is always good, I'll track that one down. We finally got around to getting a big flat screen TV the other night, and the place we ordered it from (got it online, shops are practically obsolete now!) had an offer where you can buy a Blu-Ray player for $1. Bargain!

Rick - Totally agree about the knobs on a GIbson. 4 is one too many. While I like that you can adjust the balance of B+N pickups in the middle position, I think that a guitar should have a master volume.

Will - Pretty sure thats what I want too. Be it a Legacy 2HB or an ASAT Deluxe.

Darwin - I saw a Paul Simon concert video recently, I think it was in New York, and it was one of the best I've seen. Easily in the top 5. And the man can seriously play!

Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:43 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:Miles - That orange ist besonders schoen.

Ja, das stimmt. ;-)

Woodstock is probably the first concert film I've ever seen. I saw it as very young person and it was at a cinema, I remember that clearly and of course I was impressed. ;-)
Most impressive for me at that time were Jo Cocker and Santana. Santanas Woodstock appearance as a band still impresses me nowadays.