Lunch Report For Monday, April 1, 2013

Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:51 pm

Sorry for the delay in getting this posted. It’s been a Monday. All day long!

I am Bill, from Portland, Oregon, USA. I’ve lived here since moving from Seattle in 2002. I am 62 years old, and I have been playing guitar since I was 15—that’s 47 years of GAS! LOL! I learned from the Mel Bay book, “Fun With The Tenor Guitar”, and then moved to a six string a short time later. My mother helped me learn music from the book; she played piano and violin, learning from her father, a concert violinist and cellist.

I was born in Southern Ohio, but moved to Seattle at age ten when my dad got a job working for Boeing Aerospace. He was a precision machinist, and was frozen on the job during WWII because of his skill—working 16-hour days for more than two years. I am so proud of him, he really contributed to the war effort, and it took a toll on his health. My father passed in 1990 and my mother in 1995, both at the age of 85. I owe everything to them, especially when it comes to music. My talents,…everything. They sacrificed so much to make this happen for me, when they had so little. I am eternally grateful.

I learned on a 4-string Stella tenor guitar, with the strings about ½” off the fretboard. My next guitar was a Lyle Classic with a thick plastic finish. I soon acquired a c.1960 Fender Duo-Sonic and a Harmony Sovereign Jumbo flattop. This was around 1965-1967: I am heavily influenced by The Beatles, Stones, Kinks, and other “British Invasion” groups of the era. I didn’t take any formal guitar lessons until I was in college.

I bought a used 1968 Fender Thinline Tele a couple years later. It was practically brand new, with a beautiful ash body and a Bigsby. I had a BF Fender Band Master piggyback amp, and with these and the Harmony, I was playing coffeehouse gigs and dances around Seattle. I left the University of Washington and took my first pro music job in October 1971; barely 21 years old, entertaining skiers at a resort outside Seattle called Alpental. I was doing just a single act with my guitar and my voice, but I got those skiers dancing after their runs—they do like to party hearty.

My first G&L came to me in the early ‘90s. I’d owned a 1960 Fender Strat that I’d bought in 1973, but had to sell it to make ends meet after an amicable but costly divorce in 1990. A couple of years later I found the Legacy while looking for an American Vintage ’62 Strat to replace the one I’d lost. The Legacy was so impressive to me. The mods that were made fixed all of the little flaws and faults of the original. My Legacy was a better guitar than the Strat, in every way. I soon found a S-500 and I’ve been hooked ever since.

Over the years, I made my living from playing music, both in bands and doing a single act. I would say voice is my main instrument, and then guitar. I picked up a 5-string Ibanez Artist banjo back in 1976, but I’m probably the world’s worst banjo player. I’ve got some harmonicas around, to do my Bob Dylan and Neil Young songs. And I have a cheap keyboard. I can work out theory on it, and play a few right hand chords, but I have no facility. I can read music, but I don’t do it enough and I am really SLOW at it.

I currently own 53 instruments, which include the banjo and a Fender Precision “Lyte” bass. I have 11 Legacys, three Legacy Specials and two each of the Comanche and S-500 models, and a lonely ASAT Deluxe. I have several Martin dreadnoughts and a Taylor and an Ibanez acoustic, and a couple of Takamine 12-strings. I have several Les Pauls and 335s; some Ibanez electrics and my two Music Man Sabre IIs. I have a band that I play with, and I use all of my guitars, as needed.

Between my buying and selling guitars, my voice and guitar musical talents, and my songwriting, I’ve made nearly $36,000,000.00 with my music business over the last four decades. It’s been tough at times, but all that money makes up for the hardships.

So now that you know a little bit about me, it’s time for some questions…

=========================

How old were you when you started playing the guitar? What year was that? How long have you been playing? Are you self-taught, or did you take lessons from the beginning?

Was there someone in your life when you were beginning who mentored you, or taught you? A mom or dad or uncle who supported your music?

Who were the musical groups of that era that you were influenced by, or imitated?

What was your first guitar? Do you still have it? What was your first good guitar, and do you still have that one?

Do you still have your first G&L?

Okay, that’s it for today. NOW, I can go have lunch—all I’ve had today is coffee and a bear-claw pastry.

Stay tuned this week. I think it’s going to be a fun one!

Bill

(Oh, and April Fool’s Day to you! If you believed the part about the 36 million, you’ve been had! LOL! It’s more like 35 bucks…and change!) :shocked028:

Re: Lunch Report For Monday, April 1, 2013

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:01 pm

Bill, you had me thinking when I read the 36 million in 40 years. I did the quick math and I said, maybe he had four bad years. Then I thought about it some more and I say no way. My reasoning is that if you had done that well you wouldn't be around. You would have done yourself in having fun with partying and women!!!!! Then I read the April fool part. It is great to see that some of you have made a good living doing what you love.

How old were you when you started playing the guitar? What year was that? How long have you been playing? Are you self-taught, or did you take lessons from the beginning?

I was 4 when I started playing banjo and got my first guitar at 6 or 7. I am self taught.

Was there someone in your life when you were beginning who mentored you, or taught you? A mom or dad or uncle who supported your music?

Nope, listening to the radio got me going. The whole family supported it but we didn't have money. We were happy all the time and didn't know any different.

Who were the musical groups of that era that you were influenced by, or imitated?

I was influenced by country in the beginning but then I heard Buddy Holly and Rick Nelson and Elvis. When I first heard the Beatles, I wasn't at all impressed but they really grew on me.

What was your first guitar? Do you still have it? What was your first good guitar, and do you still have that one?

Nope, I don't have it. A sunburst archtop Kay and it was beat up shortly as I had 3 brothers who were tough on it. None of them played it. They were just tough on it. They also had no idea what it meant to me. My first good guitar was an ES125 TDC Gibson that I bought at 19 and I had it for about 4 years. I was into Bass by then

Do you still have your first G&L? Nope, it was a beautiful Transparent Red Legacy Hss. It was sweet but I have many G&Ls that I prefer over that one. Of the Legacys, I prefer my CAR with the natural binding. It is a looker.

Looking forward to the rest of the week and remember, the whole week is April fools week. You can give us a run down on all the Ladies tomorrow!!!-- Darwin.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:27 pm

Tim Buffalo Bros wrote:...these days my “go to” G&L is a Broadcaster that George Fullerton signed in the neck pocket next to Leo’s signature.

I know that guitar!

I don't remember when I started playing guitar but I did play guitar in a talent show in elementary school. I remember watching Ricky Nelson at the end of the Ozzie and Harriet show and thought playing guitar would be the coolest thing ever. I didn't realize it would cost so much!!!

I took lessons from a woman who played classical style guitar. But, I just couldn't get into it. We eventually moved to Tampa, FL and a friend of my older brother played guitar. He started showing me chords and riffs and I just took it from there. My first "good" guitar was a Gibson SG Jr. It was this weird colored green with single coil pickups covered in white plastic. However, I was drawn to the stratocaster. I eventually purchased one while I was in the Army and stationed in Germany. I loved that guitar and played that for nearly 15 years. I sold that which lead me to G&L. My first two were George Fullerton signature models. The first was a sunburst with a v-neck. The second was red with a big fat c-neck.

The Beatles caught my interest but it was Disraeli Gears and Are You Experienced? that lead me down the rock path. It wasn't until high school that I formed a band with a kid who was into Neil Young in a big way, but also blues. That's where I first heard Eric Clapton on a John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers record. I loved that tone he got out of that big Marshall combo.

RickT

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:57 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:How old were you when you started playing the guitar? What year was that? How long have you been playing? Are you self-taught, or did you take lessons from the beginning?

Around 14. The year was 14AD. Self-taught and a couple years of lessons from great teachers.

No mentoring, but my first band leader was cool. Yeah...

Wham, etc. You know, the Greats...

First electric: Hondo Fame. Still have it too. It's a better guitar now that it's not used.

Yes, late 90's S-500. Love it!

Cheers,

Will
Last edited by willross on Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:04 pm

Hey Bill,

Thanks for sharing your introduction, I really enjoyed it.

I started playing when i was around 10 I guess (I was born in 75, so looking back i think it was around 85 or so) There was a guy who was offering lessons at my elementary school. My folks signed me up and the rest is history! 27 Years and going strong!

My folks didn't play anything when they were young, but i think it was something that my dad had wished he had done... hence the reason for signing me up I guess. Lord knows I didn't have any interest in playing. I spent the first 2 years of lessons only playing the guitar during my 1/2 hour a week lesson! It wasn't until 87 or 88 when a friend of mine let me listen to his walkman at school of this band called "Gun's N' Roses" that I had that moment... I finally had inspiration to play.

My brother and i had started out on a cheap cort...all black, single humbucker and a pig nose. Come to think of it i have no idea what happened to it! I should ask my mom and dad if it is still kicking around the attic. I remember for my birthday in 88, since now i had started to practise, I got a purple BC Rich warlock that i kept well into high school. The first real guitar that i spent my own hard earned money on was a Ibanez Jem that still hangs on a stand in the basement. As you may have guessed by now I was a late bloomer :lol: and didn't find G&L til much later on.

I still have my first G&L, my blue 95 s-500... there is no way that will ever part with me!

Have a good one,
Scott

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:32 pm

Cool topic ... gotta pick the wife up right now , I'll post later

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:54 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:How old were you when you started playing the guitar? What year was that? How long have you been playing? Are you self-taught, or did you take lessons from the beginning?

I got my first guitar for Christmas when I was 11 or 12. It was a very inexpensive classical. I learned some open chords on that one but never any songs. I made friends with a guitarist when I was 16, and took up the bass so we could jam together. That led pretty quickly to learning enough classic rock to keep ourselves occupied and develop some basic proficiency on our instruments.

I've never had a lesson in my life. I can't say I'm entirely self-taught, though. I did find my own way on the bass, but learned most of my guitar skills (such as they are) from friends.

Boogie Bill wrote:Was there someone in your life when you were beginning who mentored you, or taught you? A mom or dad or uncle who supported your music?

No mentoring or lessons for me, and no other players in the family. When I told my mother that I wanted to take up the bass guitar, she got pretty upset - "that's going to cost a lot of money that we don't have", etc. I think she was pretty heartbroken when I insisted on cashing a $100 savings bond my deceased grandfather had given me, so that I could buy my first real bass. She thought that bond would get me through college. As it turned out, college worked itself out (to the tune of much more than $100) and I've thoroughly enjoyed that bass for over thirty years now. I don't pick it up without thinking of him. In retrospect, he was the one who made it all possible for me.

Boogie Bill wrote:Who were the musical groups of that era that you were influenced by, or imitated?

My first influences on bass were Paul McCartney, John Entwistle and John Paul Jones, but only in terms of making me think beyond thumping out the root note of whatever chord the rhythm guitarist was playing. The most lasting influence has been Peter Hook. I thoroughly digested all of his bass lines from Joy Division's albums, to the point that I can still play most of them from memory thirty years later (I just learned the ones that I couldn't get down well were recorded on a baritone). I can't name any specific influences on guitar, other than some friends I spent a lot of time jamming with.

Boogie Bill wrote:What was your first guitar? Do you still have it? What was your first good guitar, and do you still have that one?

My first guitar was that classical, which was not meant to last. I got five dollars for trading it toward my first bass, a Kay hollow-body. Playing one hot summer night shortly after I bought it, the sweat on my forearm dissolved the glue holding the top on. I got some sympathy from a pawn shop owner, who let me trade the Kay in for a brand new Univox electric guitar. The Univox plus my grandfather's savings bond got me my first "real" bass - a Fender Jazz - which I still own and do not intend to part with. I went through several guitars after that, most notably a mid-70s Strat and a '65 Mustang, but couldn't bond with them.

Aside from the Jazz Bass, my first really good guitar was my '98 ASAT Classic, which I bought about 2 1/2 years ago. That's another keeper.

Boogie Bill wrote:Do you still have your first G&L?

My first G&L was a stripped/refinished '83 SB-1, which I bought mainly because of its light weight. I still own it and plan to keep it.

Ken

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:16 pm

Hey Bill,

Thanks for picking up the LR. Here my answers to your questions:

1- Started playing guitar when I was 14 (in '78) and it became clear my parents were not supporting me to become a drummer. Although picked up plenty of things while playing with others, I am self-taught and have never had an official lesson.

2- Yes and no. I just started playing in a band. The flutist came from a very musical family, the drummer had lessons, but the 2 guitar players were just limping along ;) Later thats ame flutist and I started playing in a church band and there I was somewhat taken under the wing of his father and uncle. Great learning school. Still can't read music though.

3- Stones, Stones, and Stones. Got into other bands only later. Trying to play Lukather licks from his Toto days comes to mind now ...

4- My first guitar came from my aunt. Terrible instrument with wood screws through the fingerboard to get it closer to the body. Don't have that one anymore. First good guitar was an '82 Burgundy Gibson Les Paul but that got traded in for a PRS Artist II about a year later. Still have the latter.

5- I absolutely still have my first G&L: a Cherryburst Legacy Special. That guitar didn't get played that much after I got my first ASAT. But when I recalled my friend Ron Stoehr, then proprietor of The Zobrist, telling me when I bought my George Fullerton at the store to up the gauge on these guitars so they sounded more 'meaty', I put some 11's on it and the guitar sounds great.

Bill you were only a couple of zeros off in your earnings. Must be a sticky key .... ;)

- Jos

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:56 pm

Hi Bill. Great seeing you on the throne! ;+)

Your LR is as interesting as it is challenging.

Unfortunately, I'm in no condition to respond (but I can still type like a MF!). Ha! - ed

Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:37 pm

i started in 82 at 13 years old. i don't think it is possible for someone to be self taught, as you have to know something before you can teach it. would you want a teacher that doesn't know what they are teaching? one can learn on their own, but teach themselves...no.

i bought my first good guitar in 83, a squier strat from japan. still have it.

the band was deep purple.

i still have my frst g&l.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:40 pm

I started about 8 months ago in 2012 after realizing that it was time to leave my percussionist days behind until my kids are grown. I'm self-taught with the Gibson L&M Guitar series and a couple of other good options. I'm going to need some lessons soon to help me gain some technique feedback.

Wife supports the guitar hobby, my neighbor knows a few chords so we noodle around and have fun from time to time.

Zep, Pearl Jam, Trampled by Turtles, Hendrix, BB King

Alvarez AD-70. Yep, I still have it. My first good guitar is my Eastman T-386 that I love. I don't own a G&L yet, but I'm ISO my first. I'm also hunting for a players guitar from the late 70s.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:55 pm

Boogie Bill wrote: =========================

How old were you when you started playing the guitar? How long have you been playing?

around 12 yo , took beginning guitar 3 times in junior high, ( no intermediate guitar was offered).

Boogie Bill wrote: What year was that?
That was 2 years into Musicman, 2 years before G&L ,bicentential quarters everywhere and pinball,pacman and defenders were in every pizza joint to put them into.
Boogie Bill wrote: Are you self-taught, or did you take lessons from the beginning?

WSU offered a beginning jazz guitar ,mostly useless class but it was an easy way to boost the GPA
and I still learned as I got to teach a little....they really need more hip folks in cowtown.
WSU in general was completely useless for me...I would have been better off in a hot tub at Alpental !

Hendrix,King Crimson, Beattles, Hot Tuna, Chicago Delta Blues, Bach , Black Sabbath, The Residents
Deep Purple,...

...nothing has changed much...LOL

A Washburn Eagle, long gone...I bought a falcon a while ago to see what I was missing. I had no clue how to set up a guitar in the beginning, I'm sure I had some good gear that I just didn't know how to get it off the runway and into the air. The Falcon was body heavy, slipped off the leg when sitting down, hurt the lower back after an hour due to the imbalance , and needed the bridge moved back a smidge so the low E intonation spring didn't need to be 86'd. It still was out a little and that was only with 10-46's.
I sold it.
I like the Daion line (same factory and timeline), but I bet some of those have the same issues.

Nope, Tobacco F-100 , lent it to a guy ...I hope he still has it...I sure don't....grrrr.

(reminds me I better get my ASAT back from my drummer before he bonds with it...I offered to shine it up and restring it ...he didn't want to be without for a few days . I think I might make a guitar player out of him
as he really likes playing the G&L. I've been sending him links of Specials on ebay....he"ll have to get his own G&L !!...LOL

Bill

I'm looking forward to it, thanks for grabbing the wheel !

Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:21 am

Boogie Bill wrote:Between my buying and selling guitars, my voice and guitar musical talents, and my songwriting, I’ve made nearly $36,000,000.00 with my music business over the last four decades. It’s been tough at times, but all that money makes up for the hardships.

LOL! You know what they say, How do you make a million dollars as a folk musician? Start with two million!

I was sixteen when I started playing, that was 1990. Playing on an off , but really rededicated myself to playing over the last two years. I took a few lessons in the beginning, but have been learning on my own since.

Boogie Bill wrote:Was there someone in your life when you were beginning who mentored you, or taught you? A mom or dad or uncle who supported your music?

Sadly no, I got the opposite of that from my Dad or else I would have been involved with music starting in grade school. Funny thing though, my first guitar teacher lives in my neighborhood and run together during the summer!

Boogie Bill wrote:Who were the musical groups of that era that you were influenced by, or imitated?

There wasn't much in "the era" that turned me on. I listened to alt/punk back then but was weened to my mother's music- classic rock, singer/song writers. As far as playing, I was influenced most to Hendrix, The Who, Pink Floyd, and Crosby Stills Nash and Young.

Boogie Bill wrote:What was your first guitar? Do you still have it? What was your first good guitar, and do you still have that one?

My first guitar was a Kramer Strat copy. Traded it in on a Barrington (Barrington Guitar Werks), which was an uber sweet neck-through hardtail but had to sell to make my college dorm deposit.

Boogie Bill wrote:Do you still have your first G&L?

I do not. My first G&L was that 2006 Tribute Wil Ray Signature in clear orange. Sold it this year to partially fund the purchase of a USA WR. Still waiting for that beauty!

Lunch today is whatever I can rummage out of the fridge. :searching:

Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:42 pm

Tim:

Good to "see" you! Still doing karate?

I spent a lot of time when I was a beginner learning songs out of the Beatle songbooks. A lot of their stuff is pretty sophisticated, with lots of diminished and augmented chords, etc.,...stuff you don’t hear in a lot of today’s music. Looking back, it was good training, but it was hard for a beginner.

I too have some stories of good guitars that got away from me, like your Esquire, guitars I wish I'd bought. Overall though, I’d have to say that I did pretty well—I bought some great guitars and amps at really good prices over the years.

Darwin:

We listened to a lot of different music growing up. My mom knew some classical music, and there were the old folk songs. My brother and sister were older, so Buddy Holly, Little Richard, Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis and Pat Boone were on the their radios. And Dad loved country music, like Hank Williams, Johnny Horton, Roy Acuff, Patsy Cline…and I remember playing one of his Ernest Tubb records endlessly.

Interesting about the Legacy HSS. I’ve been looking at a couple of those on Craigslist, but haven’t pulled the trigger. Don’t have one of those, but not sure if the HSS configuration would be a good one for me.

And the Ladies? OMG! Stories I could tell…LOL! But the G&LDP is supposed to be rated PG-13, so…you’ll have to use your imagination!

Rick T:

“Disraeli Gears” and “Are You Experienced” are a couple of my faves from that era, too. Add in some Vanilla Fudge, the first Zeppelin album, Iron Butterfly, Steppenwolf, Three Dog Night, “Get Ready” by Rare Earth, and “Mississippi Queen”…and you got yourself a PARTY!!!

Will:

WHAM? Really? Oh...yeah, one of the great guitar bands of all time!

I have a Hondo 335 clone that is actually a wonderful guitar. It needs some new pots and a switch and a jack...one of my projects in waiting. The pickups are really good PAFs, I think early Dimarzios, and the neck is one of the best I've ever played. A really sweet tone, well worth what I paid for it, and a nicely made guitar. I love it when I find a guitar that is more than the sum of its parts.

Gitman:

I think my dad at one point wanted to learn the saxophone. But he was the middle child in a farm family of eleven children, so there wasn’t much money for a frivolous thing like that. Funny thing, my mother’s family was really poor; the stories of here childhood are really appalling. Yet they had books and music, and thought they were rich. Her mother died when she was two, probably of stomach cancer, and my grandfather was a broken man after losing the love of his life. But some of the lessons my mother learned from him were handed down to me, and even though he passed away when I was very young, I think he would have been tickled that I chose a career in music.

Ken:

I don’t know Peter Hook, I’ll have to do some research. I’d have to list McCartney, Jamerson and Bob Babbitt as my favorite bassists. Some of the other guys that get my feet moving are Larry Graham, Jack Bruce, Duck Dunn…and many, many more. As the saying goes, a band is only as good as its bass player.

I hear you about your mom and the savings bond. It was huge deal when I left school to play music full time. HUGE.

YOW:

I love the idea of a cherryburst Legacy Special. I think that is one of the prettiest finishes G&L does, but you don’t see many in that color.

There’s a guy that shows up at some of the jams I go to that is a big Stones fan. He’s English, and plays in open G, like Keith, with a 5-string Tele-clone. Sounds amazing.

Louis:

Deep Purple is another one of my favorite bands “Machine Head” is another album I think I wore out. Sometimes when we do a gig and I’m launching into a bluegrass tune, I’ll hit the opening chords of “Smoke On The Water” on my banjo, and that always gets a good laugh from the audience. My hard rock band in Seattle back in the ‘90s would often close the night out with “Smoke” and the crowds would always want more. Blackmore is amazing, and I have always loved his tone.

Brewin:

Welcome to the board! Hey, keep playing with other people! No matter how much tab you go through, no matter how much you learn off records, playing with other people is what really helps you improve.

Elwood:

OMG! A COUGAR! Posting on my board!!! Well, I never!!! LOL! Sorry, I didn’t realize you suffered in the Palouse! Don’t worry, though, I won’t hold it against you! :happy0007:

Interesting about your college guitar comments. When I went to Udub back in 68-71, they didn’t HAVE a guitar program…or even a classical guitar class. There was one guy who taught a history of jazz class and it was so popular, it was nearly impossible to get into. And nothing was taught about the business of music, copyrights, or recording techniques. They were just focused on cranking out a few musicians for symphonies and music teachers. (And we know how those music teachers are faring in our school systems today with all the cutbacks!) There are certainly a lot more choices available today for someone who really wants to study guitar.

Jag:

I love your joke!

I certainly understand why many parents don’t want their children to become musicians…especially not a rock and roll bum when it is so hard to make a living at it. Other parents get their kids into Suzuki violin and piano lessons at a very early age. I certainly think it makes for a more well-rounded person, and it has been my creative outlet for most all of my life. I can’t imagine NOT being a guitarist, and that is one reason why I am so thankful to my folks for making the sacrifices they did, even if my dad did it grudgingly at times. But I would have made more money working at McDonald's for minimum wage!

Hope to see pics of the new Will Ray soon!

Bill

Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:53 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:Jag:

I love your joke!

I certainly understand why many parents don’t want their children to become musicians…especially not a rock and roll bum when it is so hard to make a living at it. Other parents get their kids into Suzuki violin and piano lessons at a very early age. I certainly think it makes for a more well-rounded person, and it has been my creative outlet for most all of my life. I can’t imagine NOT being a guitarist, and that is one reason why I am so thankful to my folks for making the sacrifices they did, even if my dad did it grudgingly at times. But I would have made more money working at McDonald's for minimum wage!

Hope to see pics of the new Will Ray soon!

Bill

That is why both of my older two learned piano. My girl sings and also plays flute. My son followed me into guitar. Next he wants to get into drums. Thank goodness I have a heated garage!

Ironically, my highschool grades were their best when I was in my first rock band!

Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:48 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:
Elwood:

OMG! A COUGAR! Posting on my board!!! Well, I never!!! LOL! Sorry, I didn’t realize you suffered in the Palouse! Don’t worry, though, I won’t hold it against you! :happy0007:

I know the blues of mediocrity...yep, yeeehhaw ...ouch.
My best memories are ;
... laying down blankets over 4 foot wheat stalks with many inebriants and good friends,
...walking as slowly as possible through wheat fields all by myself ,
... cranking Ravi Shankar and Steppenwolf over the din of Madonna and Sheila E .
...and the memories of road trips across the state in a G20 bubble window custom chevy van (with graphics package) while rocking to space truckin' just makes me smile.
Heading west was preferable (goin' home !Image).

So...never was a cougar, went to one football game, what a bunch of drunk idiots !!
I think I should have been a Geoduck.

elwood
Last edited by Elwood on Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:46 pm

Hi Bill- Its good to see you running the reports this week.
Questions 1: I started playing bass when I was 15 years old in February The year was 1969 and I started taking lessons from a great teacher who made a very big difference in my development as a player.
The deal I made with the guy that I bought my first amp from was that he would find me a teacher.

The groups that I emulated were Motown artists and Blood Sweat and Tears. I have been playing bass ever since and I picked up guitar about two years later by practicing bar chords on a Gretsch guitar in the music store that I worked part- time.
I loved Motown for the bass-lines of Jamerson and the grooves of the songs. BST was pure bass technique and the hardest bass playing I had ever heard. It is still a challenge to play well.

I formed my first band in the Summer of '69, just like the Bryan Adams song and it was a 5 piece band. we did our first gig in August of '69, It was a pool party and we did a good job and got hired for a big teen club dance at a local church. there is a long story to go along with that gig.

My first bass was a brand new Hagstrom F-400 from Merson -Unicord, serial number 701748. It was stolen about a year and half later.

I discovered G&L in the 80's but didn't get my first until 1989. I bought a used L-1000 at the store that I taught lessons. I still have it.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:09 am

========================= I was 11 or 12 in 1965. I've been playing around 47 years, (ouch). Both, but took lessons later on.

========================= My mother and father.

========================= The Beatles

========================= My first guitar was a Stella acoustic that I got for Christmas in 1966. Its long gone.

========================= Unfortunately NO.

Okay, that’s it for today. NOW, I can go have lunch—all I’ve had today is coffee and a bear-claw pastry.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:46 am

This was a great forum day, and I missed it:
AGE STARTED: 13 or so, seriously playing. My golden age was 16-17 when I played 12 hours + per day
MENTOR: My oldest brother was a great guitar-player/singer
INFLUENCES: 60's-British; 70's-Country-Rock, Jazz and Soul; 80's: Jazz, the Police, Billy Joel; Time Since: Country and 50's/60's Rockabilly (including stuff I didn't recognize as such at the time-e.g. early Beatles)
FIRST GUITAR: 1965 Epiphone Olympic, gave it back to my brother about ten years ago
FIRST G&L: Yes, it is still in the family and I play it everyday. 1998 Asat Special. Since, I have traded two and own four.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:37 am

I was 14 and the year was 1981. There have been plenty of years when I haven't picked up a guitar, and plenty when I have since then, so I have no idea how long I've actually been playing! I had some lessons to start me off, but two things put me off lessons - firstly, I was into heavy rock and wanted to learn Ritchie Blackmore type stuff, but the teacher said 'well you have to learn classical stuff first', and secondly he had breath that could stop a charging rhino at 20 yards and he always sat 'too close'. :sick:

My Great-Grandmother tried to get me playing piano when I was about 4, but this 4 year old was not into things like that! My immediate family were not musical at all.

Deep Purple, AC/DC

A wine red Hondo II LP copy. It was made of plywood and cost £115. The DiMarzio's in it were its best feature. I lent it to a friend, who started a band which got into the top 5 in the UK charts and stayed near the top for a couple of years! I did see that guitar again in a photo, floating in a swimming pool in one of their promo vids! :fighting0030:

My first 'good' guitar was an all black 70's large headstock Fender Strat with a maple neck. I could never get the sounds I wanted out of it. I lent that one to another friend who was starting a band and it got stolen at a gig. :|

Yep. Only had it since January - ASAT Deluxe. :mrgreen:
Good 'get to know you' questions Bill. :thumbup:

Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:35 pm

Nice to see you guys posting!

Jag

School always came first before I did any guitar, so I think my grades improved after I started learning, too!

Skyhawk

Another Stella player! My tenor was an awful guitar, but a lot of people learned on them back in the day. And we survived!

Ldavaz

I absolutely love the Epi solid-bodies from that era. For a long time they were really undervalued in the vintage market, and then about five years ago the prices just skyrocketed. Would love to find a Wilshire or Crestwood that’s been under somebody’s bed for the last 50 years!

Goat

The story about your guitar teacher reminded me of a kissing scene I had to do in a play years ago in my college days. The actress was more experienced than I was and a couple of years older, and a simply drop-dead gorgeous young woman. And at our first rehearsal, just before the kissing scene, backstage and unbeknownst to be—she took a big bite out of a raw onion as a joke. OMG! I thought I was going to throw up on her! She put everything she had into that kiss, tongue and all, and she was holding me tight and wasn’t letting go and it was just lethal! I was horrified, and she and some of the other cast members had a big laugh about it. Fortunately, that was the only time it happened, thank God! Only time in a play when I got the girl, but man, it was a rough start! LOL!

Bill