Thursday, March 28, 2013 Demo day!

Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:01 am

Hi gang,

Thanks again for all the participation yesterday. One thing I always notice when on LR duty is how fast time flies, and how engaged people on this forum are.

Lunch:
While the rest of the team had sandwiches and salad (again) yesterday, our small team of 4 was able to pry itself off and get out of the building to have a nice lunch at Bambino's. That is still pizza but of high quality. And they have an excellent beer list. The evening dinner was Petra, east-Mediterranean food. They make excellent grilled vegetable kebabs that I enjoy.

Today is going to be a fun day! Our game team develops in 2 week sprints, a concept in Agile Development. At the end of the sprint, each feature that has been finished is demonstrated in front of the whole team and many times executives and other people in the company. Like I wrote before, I am responsible for developing the server back-end; not half as sexy as any of the true game features. That's why I usually use audience participation to show 'The Magic' that we do to make sure players don't lose their data. And we're trying to avoid to end up in a similar situation as EAs Sim City a couple of weeks ago.

But back to guitars!

There were a couple of other prototypes released by G&L a week or 2 ago and I was surprised to find another ASAT S-3 in there. Initially introduced at the '99 Winter NAMM, it never was really successful and production was seized in '04. As an interesting side note, one of the stipulations in the production of the Buffalo Brothers Trinity Special Edition in 2006 was that it would use surplus S-3 pickguards. The S-3 apparently got a less than favorable wrap amongst players because the large MFD middle pickup was deemed to be in the way. I do not have that problem at all. The three large MFDs combine very well with the ash body (in contrast to the maple body on the Trinity) of this S-3. A great all-round guitar! Or stated otherwise, a great guitar all around!
ImageImage
There were a handful of S-3s produced during '98 and as evidenced by the date stamps this is one of them:
ImageImage
And another interesting the S-3 is that no swimming pool rout was used:
I am curious whether the Blueburst prototype has individual routes still or whether G&L moved to the large rout on that one.

G&L question:
Which other G&L model, either Leo-era and or BBE-era, would you like to give a second change? Don't leave out the low-enders.

I talked about demoing features at the end of the sprint earlier.
General question:
Do you give presentations? Any good at it?

Well, it's time to go to work and prep myself for that demo. See if I can add some sparkle to it so people are engaged and appreciate the features and improvements our team makes.

Ta ta,

- Jos

Re: Thursday, March 28, 2013 Demo day!

Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:23 am

There were also a few Special Build ASAT S-3's done in 2011: a series of 3 pickup ASAT Specials that were created by one of G&L's dealers, Midlothian School of Music,
which they were calling the ASAT 3. I wonder if that prototype was for the Midothian build or possibly had an influence on them being produced. I don't know whether or not
they have individual pickup routes, I will have to ask Dave about that. See List of Special Edition & Non-Production ASAT-style guitars.

:ugeek:

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:29 am

I will preface by saying - middle pickup in the way = bad picking. Usually this is accompanied by the need to use a lot pick to pick harder, which is a rather silly notion. Definitely an interesting axe though, wouldn't turn one down if it came my way. The contrast is I have no guitars with middle pickups. When I have had middle pickups, I never used them. I could use a strat in my collection though, passed up a legacy earlier this year as it wasn't really speaking to me. Had a GOT neck and was consequently sticky.

No old G&Ls I am remotely interested in though. It would take something different to get me revved for something. Like a bass that could compete with a bongo for comfort. Haven't run into one of those (but I would take a stingray over a G&L bass too, so...)

I suppose I can present decently, had enough practice in graduate school (as I am sure you did too). I seem to do well in meeting situations, older hands like to try and strong arm you when you are the young guy though, not that it gets them far.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:32 am

Craig wrote:There were also a few Special Build ASAT S-3's done in 2011: a series of 3 pickup ASAT Specials that were created by one of G&L's dealers, Midlothian School of Music,
which they were calling the ASAT 3. I wonder if that prototype was for the Midothian build or possibly had an influence on them being produced. I don't know whether or not
they have individual pickup routes, I will have to ask Dave about that. See List of Special Edition & Non-Production ASAT-style guitars.

:ugeek:

Hi Craig,

I know about run of S-3's built for Midlothian School of Music starting May '11. But I hadn't considered this one to be a potential prototype for that run. Interesting thought though!

- Jos

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:44 am

Hey Jos,

Thats a great looking s-3! If I was to make a guess about the newer s-3's (after all the CNC discussion we had in the LE-2 forum) I would guess swimming pool route. Either way they are pretty cool.

yowhatsshakin wrote:G&L question:
Which other G&L model, either Leo-era and or BBE-era, would you like to give a second change? Don't leave out the low-enders.

You mean other than leaving the neck pickup route off the SC-2? :lol: sorry i couldn't resist. I would probably like the option to leave out the middle z coil on the commanche or z-3. The photos of your z-2 look really great. I think that combo would stand out with other finishes.

yowhatsshakin wrote:General question:
Do you give presentations? Any good at it?

occasionally i give presentations / clinics at the college. I feel i am probably pretty good at it since i know the subject matter really well. Now, how would i do without a guitar in my hand.... Probably poor!

Have a good one,
Scott

Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:04 am

i have done many presentations on a variety of subject to many groups. from music history to exercise and nutrition to dog and cat behavior. at one of the senior groups that had a regular monthly lecture series, i was told i was the first person they ever requested to come back. ended up going back a total of 4 times. interestingly i never prepare for presentations, i have no notes, no power point, i take nothing with me but my big mouth.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:24 am

G&L making true LH Z-coils would open a lot of doors... I've done my share of presentations, but every time you walk on stage it's a presentation.

Cheers,

Will

Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:27 pm

Hey Jos,
You have a very cool job.
I have thought long and hard about your question.
I would like to see the Rampage with the pick up moved forward.
G&L's are way better in the bridge position than nearly anything but I always prefer the tone out of the neck pick up. I am sure Leo had his reason for the placement. And who am I to argue.
I have taught many small and large groups as a fitness instructor. I am fairly entertaining and competent in front of a crowd
Anthony

Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:48 pm

Jos, you have a good sounding job, no doubt, but I feel sorry for you working such long hours that you're forced to eat dinner with your colleagues every night rather than your family. I would hate that. Hope you get a break over Easter!

The S3 is not a guitar I think I'd enjoy - I know that the middle pickup would get in my way, thats a problem I have on my Classic S. Sloppy playing or poor technique? Maybe, but it works for me and I have no intention of changing it.

I'd like to change the Solamente (still no pictures of this model anywhere!!!) so that there is no route for a neck pickup. And I'd put the model variant name on the headstock - Bluesboy, Solamente etc. And I'd change the font on the model name on any models where its still in that boring one, like on the SC2, to the fun one on the ASAT Special.

I do what Louis does for presentations, just go in and do them. If I don't know enough about the subject to talk about it for a while without using notes then I know I'm going to mess it up or do a crap, boring job of it. I hate powerpoint but have to use it. My slides usually consist of a word or a picture on a white background. Simplicity is beautiful :thumbup:

I have a long day at my least favourite pub in all of Australia today - our band puts on an indoor festival type thing there every Good Friday to raise money for a childrens hospital. Music from 2pm til 11pm, so I'll be there from 11am til 1am next day. Good cause, but its such a dump and the people that work there all frown constantly. Here's a picture of the venue. :(

Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:01 pm

Jos, I think the 3 pickup Asats are great. Yours has such a beautiful grain it would be stunning without the pickguard. Leftover pizza for lunch here and it was fantastic.

I have done a lot of presentations over the years and also taught computer hardware classes back in the early 80's when we still fixed them. Back then I was different than most in that I knew the hardware, operating system, and microcode so I was the guy to go to when no one else could isolate it. It involved a lot of emergency travel and to this day I hate to fly. I also had a lot of sleepless nights for many years. In two weeks we will be doing two Rune Stone presentations at a school north of the Twin Cities. Am I good at it? I will let the audience decide. I love to perform at gigs and my only concern has been TV News and Film interviews. Things can be taken out of context but the producers have been very good to me. I am lucky.

On a side note, sad news about Dale Hyatt today. This does close history on early G&L and it is great that we have Fred to still give us tidbits about early G&L. Time moves on and history is created every day. These guys were a huge in musical instrument history during my lifetime and I thank them for everything they have done and for the pleasure their creative thinking has given me. -- Darwin

Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:45 pm

Fried chicken for lunch

A Nighthawk exactly like mine might be nice. New frets no chips and dings ah nice.

I don't communicate very well so I've been told. So i'm not very good at talking to any group of people. So presentations no.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:19 pm

I would like to try a Leo era model......the Cavalier.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:28 pm

darwinohm wrote:Jos, I think the 3 pickup Asats are great. Yours has such a beautiful grain it would be stunning without the pickguard. Leftover pizza for lunch here and it was fantastic.

I have done a lot of presentations over the years and also taught computer hardware classes back in the early 80's when we still fixed them. Back then I was different than most in that I knew the hardware, operating system, and microcode so I was the guy to go to when no one else could isolate it. It involved a lot of emergency travel and to this day I hate to fly. I also had a lot of sleepless nights for many years. In two weeks we will be doing two Rune Stone presentations at a school north of the Twin Cities. Am I good at it? I will let the audience decide. I love to perform at gigs and my only concern has been TV News and Film interviews. Things can be taken out of context but the producers have been very good to me. I am lucky.

On a side note, sad news about Dale Hyatt today. This does close history on early G&L and it is great that we have Fred to still give us tidbits about early G&L. Time moves on and history is created every day. These guys were a huge in musical instrument history during my lifetime and I thank them for everything they have done and for the pleasure their creative thinking has given me. -- Darwin

you looked perfectly comfortable in the templars in america thingy.