Wednesday, March 27, 2013 Dream, dream, dream, ... (pinch)

Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:07 am

Hump day already! Don't know about you, but for me time seems to go faster and faster the older I get. Thanks again for all your participation; it is fun to read your reactions.

Lunch:
Yesterday was a new hire lunch at what turned out to be a pretty good Indian bistro with a name using cute wordplay: Far-Eats. Dinner server was Thai.

Since I keep a web site, I try to find as much information on G&L as I can. And of course GGJaguars site is a place I revisit many, many times. (BTW, any new info on when that book gets published Greg?) From the moment I started collection ASATs, the October '91 pre-Commemorative Cherryburst ASAT Classics have always been one of these 'magical' models mainly due to Greg write-up on a single-bound and a triple-bound model. As it turned out, it was easier to find my Commemoratives than one of these babies. But late last year both a triple bound as well as a single bound came on the market at about the same time. I picked up the single bound having the triple-bound Commemoratives already. In talking with Greg, I learned that he only knows about 5 of these single-bound ACs compared to about 10 for the triples. Most likely, all of them were engineering prototypes for the Commemoratives, production of which commenced in late October '91. Also note the weight indication in the pocket below.
G&L question:
Is there a G&L you dream about but do not have (yet)? What makes that specific model so special to you? And if you found just that G&L, is it all you dreamed about in the end?

ImageImage
ImageImage
This one has a gorgeous body, look for instance at the pocket above. One might even claim it is more beautiful than either of my Commemoratives (L-to-R: AC Sig, #153, #29):
ImageImageImage
This is an awesome sounding AC and due to the lack of gold, I can play the crap out of it.

Well, tax season is upon us. I finished mine last Friday and am happy to have it done.
General question:
Have finished your taxes? Still slaving away? Or do you have it done for you?
I assume in all of this that whoever is doing it him/herself is using tax preparation software. Or are there still people out there using any of Tax Publications, paper, pencil, calculator, and eraser?

Talk to you later folks,

- Jos

Re: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 Dream, dream, dream, ... (pinc

Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:57 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:
Is there a G&L you dream about but do not have (yet)? What makes that specific model so special to you?

I think I'd like a semi-hollow Bluesboy. I haven't had a chance to try one, due to the lack of dealers in my area.

yowhatsshakin wrote:General question:
Have finished your taxes? Still slaving away? Or do you have it done for you?

I've finished my taxes, but I haven't sent them in yet.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:42 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:BTW, any new info on when that book gets published Greg?

We're working on it. The problem is that as new information is discovered it takes more time to research which, as you might guess, often leads to even more new info. Rinse and repeat. Gabe has been speaking to quite a few people with first hand knowledge of G&L and what they share will provide additional "human" perspective so it won't be strictly a "gear head" book. We want it to be as complete and accurate as possible with regard to company history, corporate culture, employees, and of course, the instruments.

In the meantime, we're working on an article that we hope to have printed in Vintage Guitar Magazine. If we're lucky, that will hold everyone over for a while... or make the waiting worse. 8-)

yowhatsshakin wrote:Is there a G&L you dream about but do not have (yet)?

No, though I still stand by my motto: You can never have too many ASATs. I don't really collect anymore, but rather engage in "catch and release" for research for the book. I'll buy a guitar or bass, then dissect and document it, and quietly sell it off. I still need to track down a 1989, 1990 and 1991 L-1000 to document some changes, but haven't had any luck yet as L-1000 production really tapered off those 3 years.

GG

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:22 am

Nice Axes there Jos.

No G&Ls I dream of at the moment. Then again I tend to flit around a lot. I find what strikes my need, get it, then move on the whatever else might fill that need. My stable is... full right now, with 4 guitars ( 3 sixes and a 7), 1 bass (5 string) and waiting on 1 bass ( 6 string). I can see no real needs at all. A future hollow-body might be about it, maybe a 4 string bass just for fun. G&L just isn't producing anything I need after I acquired my ASAT special.

Nowadays I plan to upgrade my bass amp (after over a decade), and round out the studio side. I am also running out of apartment. All if this is pending at the moment of course. Need more stability before expanding.

Taxes were done early march, if not for a lot of student credits left over I would have owed a bit (someone dropped the ball somewhere) :lol: Instead a got a bunch back so all good.
Last edited by sirmyghin on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:01 am

Far-eats! Ha! Love your collection. I'd like to stumble across an HG-1 left-handed at a garage sale... My S-500 is the perfect G&L for me, but the upcoming LE-2 has my fingers crossed. A picture? Again? Ok:

My taxes are done... all of them. It's all good...

Cheers,

Will

Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:03 pm

Jos,

Great guitars as usual.

I saw my dream guitar yesterday actually. It was a black sc-3 with a #3 neck.If I could just get the guy to make a trade or sell it but he won't hear of it. You can't win them all.
Yes as I get older and my fingers scream at me, the #3 necks feel a little more forgiving. Using your hands as tools for 35 years really sucks right around the 34 year mark. Kids, stay in school and listen to your parents.

The guitars I have been playing for the last few years are an early Asat Special and a III. Both guitars have had new frets installed and the fret boards flattened a tad. Just great guitars.

I actually had a dream about a G&L product once and I told the story here on the G&Ldp many years ago. I had a dream that G&L made me a Mandolin in the shape of an Asat. It was truly my dream G&L.

Good week, your collection is awesome,

y2kc

Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:28 pm

Dream G&L? A blonde SC1. Or a red one. Why? Coz they're cool. I've not even played one but there's no way that such a simple guitar that looks like that much fun could be bad.

Lovely bunch of Commemorative ASATs! The grain on the single-bound one is lovely.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:21 pm

my next G&L will be a SC2 .... either Royal Purple or Big Green Metal Flake , un-decided at the moment on color but it will be a SC2 for sure

this is the first time in about 12 years I didn't use a extension for my taxes , got mine done early this year

Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:26 pm

Jos, beautiful examples today. It is interesting how the Cherrybursts look on different woods. The paint work seems to be pretty consistent on the three bolters. The Asats look so cool with bindings. I have spent time on your website and it is a wealth of information. Surely the place for someone who is considering a G&L to do the homework.

Our Taxes have been done for almost a month. We have an accountant do it and it is worth it to me. I always found doing the taxes stressful especially when both of us were in business. I still have my music business but it can almost be a liability instead of an asset. Great reports this week!-- Darwin

Edit. I want a hollow body f-hole L-2500.
Last edited by darwinohm on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:42 pm

I'm with BoogieBill on this one, a Comanche Xll would be stellar.

That Mando-ASAT needs to happen :!: .
I could handle an eight string L-2000 also,
though I might have to sit down once in a while.

(not saying Bari-...)

elwood

Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:37 pm

All of these G&L photos just increases my G&L lust. great looking guitars.

I had Chinese all you can eat buffet. That's about as exotic as I get.

My dream G&L is a custom Will Ray. Since getting my Will Ray tribute about a year ago, it's one of the old solid body ones.I'm getting into the bbending thing. It's hard to play my other guitars. The b bending is becoming integrated into my playing.

My taxes are done and I got a refund. I'm lucky my cousin is a great CPA and has bookkeeping & tax service so that makes it easy for me since my wife and I have a business.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:04 pm

I skipped right past those photos Jos. I do not need additional G&L lust!

I dream about stumbling on a nice ASAT Special semi-hollow, preferably in vintage white or himalayan blue with a GOT maple board. I love my Tribute ASAT Special, but it's a HEAVY piece of ash.

Tax - I haven't completed last year's :roll:.

I'm pretty sure I'm due a refund, but Australian taxation law is impenetrable and almost impossible to get right without an accountant. Now that my wife has started working 2 part time jobs I definitely need to find a good accountant.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:14 pm

Howdy folks,

Thanks for all your reactions, especially Greg to give us an update on the book. I'm looking forward to that article in VG. This time my subscription will prevent me having to chase that paper 7 years down the line like I had to for your triptych of wonderful 20th Century Guitar ASAT articles.

For those not having done their taxes, good luck. I hope the aggravation will be kept to a minimum. For those that have finished that annual chore, congrats. I hope all got a refund (I didn't).

For once I was home early so I spent the early part of this evening with my wife. Think I will pick up that thread again ;)

Talk to you tomorrow,

- Jos

Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:07 am

i have a dream g&l, and buying used is not an option. buying new isn't either because i want the nena finish on it, and so far they are unwilling to do it. sad, because i finally have a hookup to buy at dealer cost.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:49 am

well... i'm really pleased with what i have... and to be honest, even if i like to see beautiful guitar, nice wood with burst finish, i really don't care about how look the guitar i own... now, those asat are so cool that i want to try other G&L... i think it's gonna be a SC-2 (never saw one for sale in EU by the way), S-500 or legacy... very curious 'bout s-500 and legacy because i never tried a strat i like... :think:

ho ! i just thought about one G&L dream... an 3-ply black asat classit PG ! just for fun and in complete contradiction about what i just said ! :happy0007:

Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:19 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:Howdy folks,

Thanks for all your reactions, especially Greg to give us an update on the book. I'm looking forward to that article in VG. This time my subscription will prevent me having to chase that paper 7 years down the line like I had to for your triptych of wonderful 20th Century Guitar ASAT articles.

For those not having done their taxes, good luck. I hope the aggravation will be kept to a minimum. For those that have finished that annual chore, congrats. I hope all got a refund (I didn't).

For once I was home early so I spent the early part of this evening with my wife. Think I will pick up that thread again ;)

Talk to you tomorrow,

- Jos

why would you wish a refund on anyone? that means they screwed up during the year and gave the government an interest free loan.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:24 am

louis cyfer wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote:Howdy folks,

Talk to you tomorrow,

- Jos

why would you wish a refund on anyone? that means they screwed up during the year and gave the government an interest free loan.

Logic is entirely on your side my friend (which is why I don't mind still having to pay, as long as I can keep myself out of having to pay a penalty) but still, it makes people feel good. As if they win the lottery ...

- Jos