Thursday Lunch Report 3/21/2013

Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:54 pm

Lunch: Today's lunch was at the local Mexican restaurant. I had a tamale, burrito & rice.

Today's G&L from my collection is one of my favorites. It's a 1983 Cavalier:

It's been well played! The neck feels exactly like an early 60's Stratocaster neck. The guitars plays easily and has a well rounded tone.

I'm a big fan of mini humbucker equipped guitars. Here's my other mini humbucker equipped guitar:

Today's Question:

I mentioned the other day that I'm a mechanic at a Chevrolet dealership. The topic for today is car salesmen. If you think spending an hour or two with one is bad, try 40 hours a week! :fighting0030: What's your real opinion of car salesman? Do you have any car salesmen horror stories?

Re: Thursday Lunch Report 3/21/2013

Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:42 pm

Awesome Cavalier. Did you put the buck wear on it?
As for car salesman my friend recently bought a car and instead of fat old male salesman they were hot, sexy chicks. Much better business model
Anthony

Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:31 pm

That Cavalier is awesome. I really like the look of that model, if I ever have a chance to get one ( sound clip perhaps? ).... You have a great collection, I like your Les Paul too ! Good reporting this week.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:58 pm

i don't know anyone that buys cars from car salesmen. i never have. the people i know who go to the dealership to talk to a car salesman, do not buy cars, they just acquire a debt. of course they tell me "look i bought a new car", and i have to tell them, idiot, you do not own that car, you own a debt. i prefer to own cars.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:05 pm

Nice Cavalier ! Car salesmen need to stop drinking so much coffee. lol Stop attacking customers like a lion starving to death, and talk to people like they may know what they are looking for.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:13 pm

My last car buying experience wasn't too bad...I got what I thought was a fair deal on the 2010 Chrysler Town and Country van. It had 16K on it, and so far we have been very happy with it.

I love the Cavalier too. A direct descendant of the Music Man Sabre; I'd love to have one. Given the choice between a G&L Cavalier and the Chevy version...I'd take the guitar every time. :happy0065:

Bill

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:39 pm

That is a gorgeous guitar, Steve, and obviously plays as good as it looks.

I stopped at a used car yard once to check out a Leyland P76 I saw as I was driving past
The P76 is one of the true masterpieces of hideous '70s design and has a terrible reputation for reliability. The 6 cylinder versions were know to catch fire as the carb spat petrol over the manifolds. The dealer looked and handled himself like a drug dealing pimp (probably was too...) who really put the pressure on to buy it, it was hard to get away from that slimeball. That was the last time I went to a dealer.

More recently, my girlfriend lost the keys to our Toyota at the beach. Long story short, she rang a dealer just up the road to find out how much a new one would be including reprogramming - $2000 :shock: This was just so that we had a spare key - we still had an original master key. The key-cutting guy at the shopping center down the road sold me a key for $25, and I programmed it myself, learning how by watching a video on youtube. They're total sharks who will never see a cent of my money.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:55 am

I like that Cavalier I almost bought its twin back in the day but it was sold before I could get the money together.
I feel bad for you having to deal with car salesmen everyday my dad was a mechanic most of his life. car salesmen like lawyers politicians and convicted felons.
never tell the truth when you can lie

Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:16 am

I loooove the looks of those Cavaliers! Must have something to do with those slanted humbuckers but they just looks like fast guitars.

I don't deal with car salesmen too often. But I will admit my last time (2009) really wasn't all that bad. The guy was low pressure and (relatively) easy to do business with.
These days if you're going to be spending big money on anything then you better get yourself informed via the web first. If not then you're only asking for trouble.

Jeff

Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:22 am

Steve, I just got my MAC back so I am delighted. Nothing like a real relic Cavalier! That one really looks nice as it is worn but not all dinged up.

I have had two recent experiences with car salesman. It doesn't take long to make them heel. I like it when they get the sales manager involved. That is when I leave. When the salesman brought the sales manager out, I asked him what he was involved for. I left and when I finally did buy I told the salesman upfront, a young guy, what I expected and that I didn't want to see a sales manager. It worked. At least they talked privately. I have been in sales a good part of my life and never needed anyone to help me.

I am heading out for a weekend of gigging so will catch your Friday LR on Sunday. Thanks for the LR's this week Steve!-- Darwin

Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:07 am

You are killing me with all these cool guitars. The cav has aged very gracefully.

All your guitars have been great this week.

I can't fault car salesmen, it has got to be a bummer of a job. My oldest son (33) has been selling Audi's and Mercedes since he was 21 or so and he seems to be normal. Somewhat.

We had a great experience in a Chevy last summer. I rented a car to drive to North Carolina and it turned out to be a brand new Impala with 7 miles on it. It was incredible the whole way.I put thousands of miles on it. Really a nice car. The chevy's are nice cars now and I would buy one in a heart beat.

Again cool guitars!

y2kc

Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:22 pm

Car salesmen as a rule are opportunitic jerks! http://www.showyourauto.com/

(oh boy do i have stories)

Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:47 pm

Nice cav Sprinter, I had two of em at one time, hard tail and a trem model but sold both, just couldn't bond, they both played great, In hindsight I should have tried gabe's trick with playing with the caps to try to get rid of some of the highs before dumping both.

My uncle runs the body shop at the local Ford dealer and hooked me up with a salesman whos cool and was told ahead of time I won't take any of that usual salsesman crap, bought four in a row with no problems.

My new handle
Sour grapes, I like it, thanks Elwood!

Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:18 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:Car salesmen as a rule are opportunitic jerks! http://www.showyourauto.com/

patrick, you sell cars don't you? :mrgreen:

Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:17 pm

louis cyfer wrote:
JagInTheBag wrote:Car salesmen as a rule are opportunitic jerks! http://www.showyourauto.com/

patrick, you sell cars don't you? :mrgreen:

In the strictest sense of the term, I suppose you're right. :evilgrin:

Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:59 pm

westsideduck wrote:My new handle
Sour grapes, I like it, thanks Elwood!

hehe...I'm glad you read that lightly ,I had to stand up for us Leo,George and Dale-thusiasts that are hanggin out here
everyday.

Play healthy !
elwood

Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:10 pm

sweet Cavalier !! .... new G & L enthusiast here , I'm going to have to get a few older Leo's and can tell right now

I see people every day from other repair facilities that rip off or way over sell stuff thats not needed , rip off mechanic's , repair facilities ,rip off new car dealers and rip off salesman sure give us all bad name , I'm 14 miles or more away from anywhere close in Ohio , in a small rural town of 200 people yet my small 2 bay auto repair and used car lot has close to 2000 customers annually and I never have advertised for any buisness , its all word of mouth , the couple cars I sell a month rarely sit by the street with "FOR SALE" signs on them more than a couple days before they sell , I have never sold a car that needs a transmission , brakes , suspension or engine repair and I never have angry people waiting for me to open my doors in the morning .... but so many are dis-honest its a hard stigma to get away from

Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:18 pm

Fumble fingers wrote: but so many are dis-honest its a hard stigma to get away from

Ain't THAT the truth!

Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:39 pm

it sure is ..... on another note , I've had two different customers this week leave a blank check with me to pay for repairs because they were going to be out of town all week to pick up there car during buisness hours and didn't trust there kids .... probably not to many repair shops can say that ...lol

Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:51 pm

Sprinter 92 wrote:
I'm a big fan of mini humbucker equipped guitars. Here's my other mini humbucker equipped guitar:

That's a very friendly looking lp, what year is it?
I had one of the '82 reissues back in the 80's, like many guitars back then, bought it cheap, sold it cheap...now
I'm thinking...damn !!

... of the few I've played , all the mini hb lp's I've played have sounded great.

here's a fun shot from the early 70's

...and the same guitar (post RedRhodesmods plus years of gigging).

One of my best friends sells cars for a living, seems we just talk about guitars etc.
(cash on the barrelhead is my M.O.).

Nice to see a Cav that get's played alot ,

elwood