Soggy Sandwich

Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:55 pm

Todays lunch was simple. Grilled cheese on rye with veggie soup. I like dipping the sandwich into the soup, anyone else do that? Maybe it's just me....

G&L Topic: Ok, so I mention to other musicians and singers around town that I ordered a G&L guitar, and the first thing they say is "What's G&L, are they any good?" So I start explaining "After Leo sold Fender...." and I can tell they've lost interest immediately, and without proper experience myself, it's hard to make them understand what G&L is all about. So, question today is: How would/do you explain G&L to people who haven't the slightest idea, and get their qualities across? An example might be 'if Gibson's are SUV's, G&L are sports cars' , although I don't know if that particular example is accurate due to my lack of experience with G&L. So how would you go about educating the masses?

Non-G&L Topic: This is a 'what if' scenario - What if you never became a musician? What would your hobby/profession be? All the time and money we spend reading about music/instruments, practicing, playing, repairing and everything else being a music "nut" (bad pun intended) entails is now spent doing something else... but what? I can hardly imagine doing something else, but I think, having to choose, I'd have been more heavily involved in hockey. For me (and my family when I was younger), it was a matter of money, music or hockey, not both... I picked music, and I believe I picked right. However, if playing guitar never came about, I think my passion would have been spent honing my skills on the frozen pond. How about you?

I can't wait to hear back! :D

Re: Soggy Sandwich

Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:10 pm

RE, grilled cheese is perfect. I make them for the granddaughters and they love them. We do not do soup with them but it sounds good.

Educating about G&L isn't always easy as most people don't listen a great deal. You have to bait them a bit. After having a bunch of Fenders( more than 15) I show up with a G&L and my bandmates notice. Steve, our lead player, asked me what was special about G&L. I explained a bit about it but I had a new Asat Special, chambered and I asked him if he wanted to try it. It blew him away. Later I bought a used Roland GR 20 Synth on the bay and installed it on a Legacy. It was fun. The next time Steve showed up I said "look at this". I did a sax patch and he was surprised at the sound. He spent more than an hour fooling around with it. I had him gig with it and he now owns it. I still kind of wish I had it but I can do another of those anytime. as I said, sometimes you have to bait them a bit. Steve now owns 3 G&Ls, has retired his Les Paul and a Fender Strat and will be retiring his Tele as soon as he gets his hands on the Asat I picked up Sunday.

What would I do if I didn't have music. It would be difficult to not have my guitars to work on as they are a source of pleasure for me. I was in the computer business my whole working life and I don't miss it. My profiling in school said I would make a good mortician. Maybe that is what I would have done. I remember a few years back attending a funeral in North Dakota and the mortician also sang at the funerals and he was good. I did spend some time as an insurance salesman. The one thing I knew when I was young is that my odds of making a good living in music would have been as a music teacher and I didn't want to teach. Thats my story!-- Darwin

Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:24 pm

darwin, you should really start teaching the grandkids to eat healthy foods, if they learn to like the taste of real food, instead of salt, sugar and fat, they'll have a lot easier time staying healthy.

if i didn't have music, i'd probably still do the other things i do now. photograhy, bodybuilding, water polo, table tennis, muay thai, animal rescue, dog behavior consulting, cat behavior consulting, riding the motorcycle, collect weapons as well as practice with them, period costumes (renaissance) just to name a few.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:28 pm

ribeye1974 wrote:How would/do you explain G&L to people who haven't the slightest idea, and get their qualities across?

You've never heard of G&L? They're a special brand of guitar designed and developed for Gay and Lesbian musicians. They're fabulous.

Without music I'd probably get into classic motorbikes or sailing. I really enjoy sailing but haven't done any for years. Its such a peaceful past time if you can avoid those douche bags on jet skis that seem to be everywhere now.

Darwin - "The Singing Mortician" sounds like a great concept for a musical :thumbup:

Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:29 pm

louis cyfer wrote: if they learn to like the taste of real food, instead of salt, sugar and fat

Mmmmmm.... donuts

Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:21 pm

darwinohm wrote:Educating about G&L isn't always easy as most people don't listen a great deal. You have to bait them a bit.

Hmmmm.. bait them you say eh? I've been fishing all my life, and I'm pretty good at 'setting the hook', I'll definitely give it a try!

darwinohm wrote:My profiling in school said I would make a good mortician.

That's kinda a dead end job though, isn't it. :lol: Ok, I'll go stand in the corner, that joke was bad....

Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:24 pm

louis cyfer wrote:if i didn't have music, i'd probably still do the other things i do now. photograhy, bodybuilding, water polo, table tennis, muay thai, animal rescue, dog behavior consulting, cat behavior consulting, riding the motorcycle, collect weapons as well as practice with them, period costumes (renaissance) just to name a few.

Gotcha! Quick question, let's say you had to pick just one of those activities/hobbies to put your "music time" into, which one would it be?

Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:25 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:
ribeye1974 wrote:How would/do you explain G&L to people who haven't the slightest idea, and get their qualities across?

You've never heard of G&L? They're a special brand of guitar designed and developed for Gay and Lesbian musicians. They're fabulous.

Without music I'd probably get into classic motorbikes or sailing. I really enjoy sailing but haven't done any for years. Its such a peaceful past time if you can avoid those douche bags on jet skis that seem to be everywhere now.

Darwin - "The Singing Mortician" sounds like a great concept for a musical :thumbup:

Haha... nice, I'll try that explanation, see what kind of response I get. Sailing eh?... I have never been :( I would like too one day...

Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:02 pm

Lunch today was stir fried salmon and brocolli with chilli and garlic, sesame oil, Thai fish sauce and soy sauce, served over noodles.

I've gone off the idea of educating people about G&Ls! Watching the factory tour videos on youtube for G&L, Fender and Gibson, I would not want G&L to go about things the same way as the big boys, so numbers have to stay relatively small.
But if I'm talking to someone who really appreciates good guitars, I think handing them a G&L and letting it speak for itself is the way to go.

After more than 30 years of pretty much full time martial arts outside of my working time, I'm focussing more on music and preaching, alongside my sports therapy work. I've got too many old injuries to train at the level I used to, and I've passed my mid 40's - new injuries just don't heal as fast!
So music is something I've come back to in the last few years, although it's always been there in the background.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:06 pm

Intro to G&L?

"This guitar/bass was built entirely by hand in Leo Fender's factory on Fender Avenue, by people Leo Fender hired and trained, with Leo sitting in the next room...Yours was built under license to the company that bought the rights to Leo Fender's name from the company that bought the rights to Leo Fender's name from the company that bought the rights to Leo Fender's name..."

If I hadn't gotten into music, I'm not sure what I would have done. I sailed competitively as a teenager until my first bass started taking up all my time. Then I put my guitars aside to sail ships for a living for several years. Then I took up playing again. I guess the pattern of my life would have me going back onto the water. My one other hobby has been woodworking, but I end up spending all of my "me" time on music. I guess if playing went away, I would be back to building things out of wood.

Ken

Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:13 pm

Goat wrote:Lunch today was stir fried salmon and brocolli with chilli and garlic, sesame oil, Thai fish sauce and soy sauce, served over noodles.

I've gone off the idea of educating people about G&Ls! Watching the factory tour videos on youtube for G&L, Fender and Gibson, I would not want G&L to go about things the same way as the big boys, so numbers have to stay relatively small.
But if I'm talking to someone who really appreciates good guitars, I think handing them a G&L and letting it speak for itself is the way to go.

After more than 30 years of pretty much full time martial arts outside of my working time, I'm focussing more on music and preaching, alongside my sports therapy work. I've got too many old injuries to train at the level I used to, and I've passed my mid 40's - new injuries just don't heal as fast!
So music is something I've come back to in the last few years, although it's always been there in the background.

that reminds me, that's another hobby i have, and i do it quite a bit. counter preaching. talking people out of religion.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:31 pm

Goat wrote:Lunch today was stir fried salmon and brocolli with chilli and garlic, sesame oil, Thai fish sauce and soy sauce, served over noodles.

Wow, that sounds amazing.

Goat wrote:But if I'm talking to someone who really appreciates good guitars, I think handing them a G&L and letting it speak for itself is the way to go.

Well, I'm waiting as fast as I can for my G&L! :D

Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:34 pm

KenC wrote:Intro to G&L?

"This guitar/bass was built entirely by hand in Leo Fender's factory on Fender Avenue, by people Leo Fender hired and trained, with Leo sitting in the next room...Yours was built under license to the company that bought the rights to Leo Fender's name from the company that bought the rights to Leo Fender's name from the company that bought the rights to Leo Fender's name..."

If I hadn't gotten into music, I'm not sure what I would have done. I sailed competitively as a teenager until my first bass started taking up all my time. Then I put my guitars aside to sail ships for a living for several years. Then I took up playing again. I guess the pattern of my life would have me going back onto the water. My one other hobby has been woodworking, but I end up spending all of my "me" time on music. I guess if playing went away, I would be back to building things out of wood.

Ken

I'm going to get that quote embedded on my guitar case. :lol: Another sailor, man, I'm missing out. :(

Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:38 pm

Lunch today was left over omelet and hashbrowns.

Simply put: G&L is the Ferrari designed by Leo Fender, yet priced more like a Corvette. Fender is GM, you have to buy the Cadillac to get a good one.

Without Music? Considering just artistic outlets, I'd probably focus more on creative writing. The challenge is that my other pastimes are now my living- Vintage Muscle Cars, writing (I do magazine articles), etc. I also spend a lot of time mentoring both youth and adult men in rites of passage, trans-formative weekends, and mission based small groups. I also enjoy Martial Arts as well as outdoor sports- fishing, camping, back packing, rock climbing, skiing, mountain biking, etc.

Goat wrote:But if I'm talking to someone who really appreciates good guitars, I think handing them a G&L and letting it speak for itself is the way to go.

Amen to that brother!

Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:43 pm

JagInTheBag wrote: I also enjoy Martial Arts as well as outdoor sports- fishing, camping, back packing, rock climbing, skiing, mountain biking, etc.

A lot of that here too, we enjoy the outdoors, my kids love camping and fishing specifically.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:45 pm

ribeye1974 wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:if i didn't have music, i'd probably still do the other things i do now. photograhy, bodybuilding, water polo, table tennis, muay thai, animal rescue, dog behavior consulting, cat behavior consulting, riding the motorcycle, collect weapons as well as practice with them, period costumes (renaissance) just to name a few.

Gotcha! Quick question, let's say you had to pick just one of those activities/hobbies to put your "music time" into, which one would it be?

probably rescue. innocent animals need my time more than the other hobbies. i am picking up a cat in pretty bad shape from an la county pound today.

he is definitely in pain from the hair, and very scared from being in the shelter. a rescue group is pulling him now.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:48 pm

louis cyfer wrote:
ribeye1974 wrote:

probably rescue. innocent animals need my time more than the other hobbies. i am picking up a cat in pretty bad shape from an la county pound today.

he is definitely in pain from the hair, and very scared from being in the shelter. a rescue group is pulling him now.

Both my wife and daughter volunteer at the local no kill shelter, the Save-A-Pet Foundation. Bless you for your work with those that can't help themselves Louis.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:50 pm

louis cyfer wrote:
ribeye1974 wrote:

Excellent choice Louis!! Poor little guy guy. :( Good on you sir!

Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:56 pm

[quote="KenC"]Intro to G&L?

Well said Ken

Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:16 pm

Great stuff with the kitty Louis, I love it. --Darwin

Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:41 am

thanks guys. the kitty is at the vet. getting checked for parasites, flv/fiv, and getting cleaned up some. they have to sedate some to be able to do that, can't blame the kitty, he is in a lot of pain. i'll be able to bring him home tomorrow it looks like.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:05 am

Oh, I hope the little guy is alright.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:12 am

ribeye1974 wrote:Oh, I hope the little guy is alright.

the only big problem would be if he is truly feral and fiv or flv positive. then he has to be put down, as letting him loose in a feral cat colony would spread the disease. if he is tameable, he can be indoors only with being positive, and if he is negative but feral, he can be released in a feral colony.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:31 am

louis cyfer wrote:
ribeye1974 wrote:Oh, I hope the little guy is alright.

the only big problem would be if he is truly feral and fiv or flv positive. then he has to be put down, as letting him loose in a feral cat colony would spread the disease. if he is tameable, he can be indoors only with being positive, and if he is negative but feral, he can be released in a feral colony.

Well let's hope for the best, clean test results, and a long happy life... kinda the same thing I hope for myself... :lol:

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:37 am

This is my 2nd attempt at this post technology is hard is hard on me if my first post in were it should not be I apologize
Lunch was fish & chips with coleslaw

After 30 years of being a G&L fanatic I find It pointless to explain G&L.I think with most people it's bragging rights .Like I've got a xyz Fender or xyz Gibson and now days PSR. How else could you explain people paying large money for a BRAND NEW road worn guitar

If I hadn't got into music a the age of 14 I would building model cars. Did a lot of that as a kid. Got back into it as a adult when I was living down in Florida. Still have all my model car stuff stored.

I have a rescue dog. He's my best buddy. Last year I spent the money I had Saved for a new G&L on a kidney stone operation for him.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:40 am

cuzwilly wrote:How else could you explain people paying large money for a BRAND NEW road worn guitar

Yeah, the new 'road worn' guitars never did a thing for me.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:10 pm

I have had this happen to me several times. I just tell them that Leo Fender, who is Fender guitars, started making G&L guitars in 1980 along with George Fullerton who was a life long friend and employee, etc. etc. I sometimes go into all the detail I know about it, but I won't put it all down here, you get the meaning.
skyhawk

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:59 am

louis cyfer wrote:that reminds me, that's another hobby i have, and i do it quite a bit. counter preaching. talking people out of religion.

I spent 20 years actively doing that Louis.
Do you sympathise with Lee Strobel's comment: "For me, there was far too much evidence that God was merely a product of wishful thinking, of ancient mythology, of primitive superstition." You probably know what happened with him.
I was the most dejected, reluctant convert, but felt about as much choice as I imagine Paul did on the road to Damascus. Some things, we just don't get a say in.
I couldn't imagine a different, or better life now.

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:05 pm

Goat wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:that reminds me, that's another hobby i have, and i do it quite a bit. counter preaching. talking people out of religion.

I spent 20 years actively doing that Louis.
Do you sympathise with Lee Strobel's comment: "For me, there was far too much evidence that God was merely a product of wishful thinking, of ancient mythology, of primitive superstition." You probably know what happened with him.
I was the most dejected, reluctant convert, but felt about as much choice as I imagine Paul did on the road to Damascus. Some things, we just don't get a say in.
I couldn't imagine a different, or better life now.

lee strobel is a liar and an idiot. he misrepresent his previous position as well as exploiting the current one.