Should G & L make custom order acoustics or release a generic line of acoustic guitars?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:14 am

Yes
27%
No
73%

Total votes : 15

Curtain Call..

Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:14 am

Lunch today....Menudo

G & L topic...
Ive seen a couple of these about & like their electric counterparts are not only held in high regard,but lauded all to the very few units that have breached the walls of G & L's inner sanctum as well.most of you regulars are familiar with this one that surfaced recently...

There is obviously a reason why G & L acoustics are not mass produced but I'm oblivious to it sorry.All the same ill throw a bait in the water & poll this to see who & how many bite.(See above)

Non G & L topic..
Im a newb here as most of you know & from a personal perspective laboriously sifting through archives to find out for example who Darwin listens too,what Louis' playing sounds like,what's meow's music history et al feels a bit creepy to me sorry :roll:
I'm sure I wouldn't be the only green skin here of that mindset either.

Again this is an age old ostinato my brethren but who are your favourite players,musicians,composers etc and why?

My fave players are prog rock/fusion guys, in particular shawn lane & brett garsed.pickers like brent mason,our very own esteemed Will Ray here & his partner in crime jerry.love all rounders in the vein of carl verheyen,morse,Timmons & co.blues wise i prefer the perky myxolydian induced exploits of players like carlton & ford over the more earthy pentatonic stuff,but same as most a huge stevie ray fan.accoustic wise michael hedges & tommy emmanuel.as far as musicians who play guitar,absolutely mad on Zappa & Todd Rundgren.also like film score cats as well like morricone,Horner,Williams,shore & so on.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading the home studio thread yesterday guys & will revisit it tonight & probe summor to further tap into the immense knowledge base that this forum is very fortunate to have onboard.
Would also really like to hear any recorded output from you fine members here & with a bit of a background if possible too.an old demo,home recording from your studio,board tape,CD etc.
i hasten to add personally I enjoy listening to guitarists of ALL levels,so please don't think if its short of playing flight of the bumble bee in minor 3rds with your private parts that it don't make the grade :lol:

In the words of Bill Nye,"Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't..."

Here's a soundcloud page with an old demo I did on a tascam 4 track & most of a country rock album I played on,both circa mid 90's a few years before I give it away.

https://soundcloud.com/the-man-from-utopia

There'll only ever be one Allan holdsworth so give it loud & proud y'all! :elguitar054:

This will be my last LR too guys as I've only got 1 more day on R & R before im in the air again back enroute to Kandahar.will spend tommorrow with my family & catching up on here some in between packing my kit.
In closing id just like to thank Craig for the opportunity to know you lads a little better & to one & all for either contributing or just taking the time to peruse our 2 cents worth throughout the week.
Cheers y'all,or as they say over here in the PI,"Mabuhay!" :thumbup:

Re: Curtain Call..

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:12 am

Yes on the G&L acoustic. I learned on my fathers Fender acoustic, and play a lot of different genres, classical/flamenco/folk included, so why not... gimme a G&L acoustic please. :D

The musicians I like, far too many to list then all, but I'll throw out the main dudes: Randy Rhoads, Chet Atkins, Mark Knopfler, Lonnie Mack, Santana, Andres Segovia, Brian Setzer, JJ Cale, Albert Lee and Vincent Twardzik (a bud of mine). That's 10, there are a lot more, but that's my main influences and the guys I dig the most.

I really liked your tunes dude, thanks for sharing. I haven't listened to them all yet, but I definitely will. I only have scratch tracks recorded at the moment (as scratch as it gets, 1 take, no mixing, no nothing), and recently sold a computer that had a bunch of tunes we did via live recording jam. I think we saved them to my brothers computer as well though, if so, I'll get them copied over to the new computer and get working on sharing them! It's all instrumental stuff, as none of us can sing, we can barely speak. :lol: One question though, how the heck did you know we do flight of the bumble bee in minor 3rds with our private parts? Were you the one with the camera? :lolno: That's just wrong, and I guess it's technically two questions.

As for the Bill Nye quote, to prove his point even further, I did not know he said that.

Great LR posts, take care, and safe travels.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:03 pm

I have a nice Gibby acoustic that I am attached to, it would be hard for G&L to match it.

Great reports this week !

Here are some old recordings I had around, time to make more I guess

http://snd.sc/XFuA1f SC-2

http://snd.sc/XFuE0W Gretsch

Safe travels.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:43 pm

Hey BP,

Thanks for a great week, and wish you the best in your travels.

I am too a rock player at heart, which is what really led me down the path to G.I.T... Once there I feel i really became open to all styles and really started to hear music, rather than just guitar players. I have been checking out a lot of episodes of "Later... With Jools Holland" It is in syndication on my satellite tv and I have been PVRing it for the last few months. I had never heard of the show until a student turned me on to it... now i can't get enough of it. I always seem to gravitate to live versions of songs.... cause if you can't make it sound good live, is there really a point?!? :D

The Black Page wrote:In the words of Bill Nye,"Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't..."

What a great quote... As it holds so true to guitar players/musicians. Too bad more players don't take it to heart.

Cheers,
Scott

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:50 pm

Black Page,

Enjoy the rest of your stay, and safe travels back to the job! I've really enjoyed this week's reports. I've been exhausted every evening and just wanted to hit the bed, but even more I didn't want to miss the LRs!

Influences:

This may sound strange, but there aren't many guitarists I can name as favorites or as influences. The only ones who comes to mind at the moment are Lou Reed, Bernard Sumner and Keith Levene. Those were years ago. Being a bass player primarily, I have many more influences from the bottom end: James Jamerson, Family Man Barrett, Peter Hook, John Cale, John Paul Jones, Martyn Casey, Paul McCartney and Jah Wobble were probably the biggest influences and my favorites for listening to. I'm also big into several jazz players, especially John Coltrane, Charles Mingus and Eric Dolphy. Frank Zappa has been a big influence lately, but more in terms of his song structures than his guitar playing.

I would love to have a G&L acoustic.

Ken

Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:07 am

I'm a Martin guy...and no, I don't think G&Lshould make acoustics. Stick to what you do best.

As to influences...too many to list them all. From the 1950s: Chuck Berry, Ventures, Duane Eddy, Elvis, Buddy Holly.

From the 1960s and '70s: Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Eagles...Stills, Hendrix, Kath, Santana, Clapton, Cropper, Allman and Betts, and Kosoff. And definitely MOTOWN!

In country, I loved Don Rich.

In jazz, Benson, Montgomery, Ritenour, Carlton, Metheny and...Buzz Feiten

James Taylor, Lightfoot, Simon, Croce, Elton John and Carol King are some of my fave songwriters.

And the blues brings me to SRV and the Three Kings...BB, Albert and Freddie. The blues...always the blues.

Good job!

Bill