Pragmatism vs Principle..

Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:16 pm

Greets my brethren :wave: Will backtrack over yesterday's posts & reply summor throughout the day.again many thanks for all your inputs too guys,much appreciated :thumbup:

Lunch today,another local variant.Pork chops,ampalaya with egg & rice..

G & L topic...

Today's synopsis..
You are in the privileged position of being a working guitarist,but you're below the radar.however despite your menial standing in the music industry Darth & the guys at G & L have been magnanimous enough to give you 2 FACTORY STANDARDS to specs to take on the road,under the proviso that if they are modded in any way after the fact with 3rd party kit you lose your endorsement.your current bread & butter is various covers gigs.you're your own tech,humping your own kit & space is also of a premium regarding logistics,so these two planks are your be all & end all.
Stylistically the repertoire of the various gigs you are doing live is vast,ranging from Metallica to Elvis & all genres in between.country,jazz,rock,metal,funk,pop etc.so you've basically got to cover the entire gamut of contemporary music within the confines of either a main & a spare or 2 main line planks.
How do you play it?
Do you compromise some sonic divinity & go with 2 of an all weather G & L model to get the job done & rely mainly on sleight of hand, effects & your amp to move between this range of genres?
Or do you chance your arm with 2 more stylistically specific planks for that extra tonal pizazz & back yourself that if either of your beasts break a string mid set,you're still ready to handle the myriad of differing musical environments synonymous with this form of live performance on the fly without hanging yourself out to dry?

What G & L model/s would you take & why?

Non G & L...
Noticed some sport related posts in previous exchanges & being "Orstaylyun" am partial to the genre myself :) more curious on team sports with this one though guys.i have a passing interest in a lot of team sports but mainly football or "soccer" as some call it with West Bromwich Albion in the EPL,the Packers in the NFL & closer to home eastern suburbs in the rugby league & Footscray in the AFL.
What's your favorite team sport & team?

Re: Pragmatism vs Principle..

Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:37 pm

Damn... I eat nothing special, I can't imagine a cover band "touring", and I don't like team sports !!! :cry:

:happy0007:

Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:16 am

i'd be fine with one guitar, i don't really care what genre it is, i am still gonna sound like me.

my favorite team sport to play is water polo, to watch it's college football. USC in both. of course in water polo it's 5 times defending national champions. football has been tough lately.
can't stand to watch soccer or baseball. might as well watch golf or bowling.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:49 am

meursault wrote:Damn... I eat nothing special, I can't imagine a cover band "touring", and I don't like team sports :cry:

dude...
1.youre Belgian.you could fill every lunch report with chocolate & beer stories & have everyone on the board salivating from here to Gent :lol:
2.the scenario is purely hypothetical bro but is not as uncommon as you might think.i cant recall using that word verbatim & my apologies if ive confused anyone else here but irrespective have heard of covers acts "touring" the world (especially concept bands) & it's not unusual at all in countries like Australia,the U.K. Etc to be doing the grind playing in one city or town one night & another a night or 2 later.i personally did it for 5 years solid playing the length & breadth of Australia & would almost lay a wager that acts in your fine demographic would be doing something similar.Maybe Antwerp one night,Brussels the next etc.
3.belguim had a great football team not so long ago,Scifo was a legend.Get a grip man! :lol:

Ill put the question to you another way bro.
You're in a covers band that pretty well plays all contemporary styles.
You're driving from gig to gig in your car so you've only got enough room for 2 guitars plus an amp & effects.
What 2 G & L's would you take if you had the chance to get you through this gig?
It's a common scenario for semi & full time professional guitarists meursault & guys like louis,gitman,blarg & co would know exactly where I'm coming from.
Have a crack at it mate :thumbup:

louis cyfer wrote:i'd be fine with one guitar, i don't really care what genre it is, i am still gonna sound like me.

my favorite team sport to play is water polo, to watch it's college football. USC in both. of course in water polo it's 5 times defending national champions. football has been tough lately.
can't stand to watch soccer or baseball. might as well watch golf or bowling.

I hear ya re the first part big guy.the jury's still out on this one that's why I asked in a sense.
I was kinda hoping someone would bring up college football as well.whats the allure to some of you guys as opposed to the "big league"?
Is it a personal preference pertaining to your home town? Maybe the fact that the young guns are still hungry & play for pride & haven't been corrupted by the all mighty buck?

Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:14 am

I'll take a Bluesboy Alnico and a Legacy HB2. That'll do anything.

I'm a rugby union and cricket fan. I'd love to get to more games, but its so expensive for a seat where you can see anything, especially when compared to seeing local live music at a pub which I much prefer - less crowded, better food, more drinks to choose from!

Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:17 am

I'd take 2 identical Comanches, one as my main guitbox, one as backup. For sports, any level of hockey, my favourite junior team is S.S.Marie Greyhounds, pro team, Boston Bruins. I also enjoy MMA, not a team sport really, they train as teams/camps but compete individually, and I don't have a favourite competitor. I'm also fairly fond of women's beach volleyball. :whome:

Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:27 am

college football is more intense. losing a single game has huge consequences, and losing 2 makes it pretty much impossible to win the championship. i also have a issue with the nfl players thinking too much about themselves. they make millions to play a game and they hold out, hurt their teams, and care about themselves and money ahead of the team.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:08 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:I'll take a Bluesboy Alnico and a Legacy HB2. That'll do anything.

I'm a rugby union and cricket fan. I'd love to get to more games, but its so expensive for a seat where you can see anything, especially when compared to seeing local live music at a pub which I much prefer - less crowded, better food, more drinks to choose from!

The HB2 was definately an option I looked at mate.my only concern there blarg is say you snap a string on the blues boy with a full dance floor half way through an Alan Jackson/garth brooks type run.youll make it to the end of the set no probs with all your pedal steel licks unscathed even on a HB2 but that riff to chatahoochie's gonna sound a bit hows ya father :?
Unless of course a splitter is a factory option on that model then you've only got to camp on the volume pedal a bit to harness the hum :thumbup:

Love the rar-rar & obviously cricket as well,though the transition post gilchrist-McGrath & warne reminds me some of what happened after marsh-Lillee & Chappell.thought the AIS had us better prepared for that type of scenario but replacing legends overnight is never an easy task I spose mate..

ribeye1974 wrote:I'd take 2 identical Comanches, one as my main guitbox, one as backup. For sports, any level of hockey, my favourite junior team is S.S.Marie Greyhounds, pro team, Boston Bruins. I also enjoy MMA, not a team sport really, they train as teams/camps but compete individually, and I don't have a favourite competitor. I'm also fairly fond of women's beach volleyball. :whome:

Defineatly some merit in twin Comanches as well ribeye,was another alternative I looked at bud.
Hockey wise I gotta mate in Canada absolutely mad on the leafs so will rummage through the sports section of stars & stripes on base to see how they're doin occasionally.MMA I watch here & there but could no way entertain a conversation with yourself or Louis about it.lmao at beach volleyball dude :lol: Nuff said..
louis cyfer wrote:college football is more intense. losing a single game has huge consequences, and losing 2 makes it pretty much impossible to win the championship. i also have a issue with the nfl players thinking too much about themselves. they make millions to play a game and they hold out, hurt their teams, and care about themselves and money ahead of the team.

I figured that money & ego may have been a factor why so many prefer the college game big guy,had no idea was that tight though.must be a really good comp to watch once you get into the swing of it :)

Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:19 am

For lunch I'm going to have a salad. Got the fixings in the refrigerator.
Back in the 70's and 80's playing in cover bands was pretty much the norm. You would play at holiday inns, beer joints,pizza places and road houses
for the whole week. I did this myself for about 2 years. Disco DJ's and kareoke put a end to a lot of that.If I had to do this today. Id take my s500 tribute & my Will Ray tribute. mainly because these guitars sound and play great. And if something happens to them they could be replaced. When you playing out like that something always happens. I would also take my Line 6 pod 500 and Peavey classic amp. Set the tone controls on the amp to 0 and cover everything from heavy metal to soft jazz. It not perfect but close and very function able

I lost interest in sports back in middle school and high school when the jocks would bully me because I was a long haired guitar playing hippie type.Until I figured out that if I opened up a can of woopass on a couple of them thy would leave me alone. Anyway at 57 I'm interested in other things than watching sports.
This is my second attempt at this post the first is somewhere in cyberspace I'm fairly new to all this technology a analog guy in a digital world

Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:45 am

Well, I replied, but apparently that post went the way of the dodo. So I'll try this again. The Bohlen-Pierce scales last note is 3 times the frequency of the first note, not double, and the gap between the notes is divided by 13. Here is the wiki page, which is correct as far as I know, nobodies messed with the data:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohlen%E2% ... erce_scale

It's not just a scale, it's an entirely new way of composing and hearing music. In fact, a buddy of mine is one of the foremost experts on composing B-P music (as of less than 2 years ago, they were still trying to work out how to denote it in sheet music form to make it universal/easy(ish). He had sent me their symposium database a while back, but I sold the computer it was on and forgot to copy it over. :oops: Easy enough for me to hit him up for it again, if you want I could pass it along to you, so you can hear what it sounds like. My friend told me that I might be able to get a B-P guitar for free, as part of an endorsement deal type thing, but I'd have to commit to composing, performing and attending conferences/symposiums, and that's something I'm not prepared to do at this time, it would be too much on my plate. If my old post ends up on the board along with this one, sorry guys.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:53 am

It's in the 'Baptism of Fire' LR from yesterday ribeye. :?

Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:02 am

Well of course it is... someone on this board is tired and needs to go to bed. Now, can I delete the 2nd post via the edit, or will a mod just remove it? Feel free mods to delete my previous post in this thread, it's a double. I looked in the edit, couldn't find a way to delete it, but I'm so tired I can't see the dark when I close my eyes... off to bed for me. Talk to you guys later.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:14 am

Well, a Legacy is my main guitar. And when I gig with my cover band I will always take a backup. Now I also use a 2HB guitar, usually a Les Paul or 335. The Legacy Special works well in its ability to backup the both Legacy and the 2HBn with the ergon of the Legacy and the thick tone of the Paul.

Now I could also probably get by with either one of my S-500s or Comanches, and my ASAT Deluxe. I suppose a Legacy 2HB could also work in place of the AD. I can't remember the scale length on the Ascari, but that could be a candidate...I prefer the Gibson scale for my 2HB guitar.

The idea of using two, a duplicate, of any one guitar is an excellent idea. It depends on how married you are to the design. For example, can't imagine Steve Cropper or Roy Buchanan using anything but a tele.

The amp would be key in this scenario. With my Boogies, I can get the single coil Legacys nearly as thick and meaty as my Les Pauls.

As for team sports, I follow the Seattle Seahawks and Mariners, and the Portland Trail Blazers. Big fan of all of them.

Bill
Last edited by Boogie Bill on Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:17 am

Well, it would have to be an SC-2 and something else with humbuckers. I've never played one but I'll say Legacy special. However, in a band situation I would be playing bass.

Not sure what lunch will be, probably an orange, navels are really good right now.

I'm a hockey fan, which is pretty much a given since I am from Canada. Skating like the wind in an enclosed space with huge men firing frozen rubber discs with sticks. Better keep your head up or you won't remember your postal code. Oh yes, lets not forget the razor blades strapped to your feet. What's not to like. The Vancouver Canucks are my team ( for better or worse ). I like the Chicago Blackhawks too ( and hate them ). All the games are on TV so thats good. I don't mind the NFL but I work almost every Sunday.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:30 am

The Black Page wrote:You're in a covers band that pretty well plays all contemporary styles.
You're driving from gig to gig in your car so you've only got enough room for 2 guitars plus an amp & effects.
What 2 G & L's would you take if you had the chance to get you through this gig?

That pretty much sums up my weekends perfectly!! :D I always take 2 G&L's, but I try to only use one per night. I usually set tweak the EQ a bit for the room/stage and then i am good to go. Like Louis, I try and sound like me playing a bunch of other peoples stuff.

I am a big NFL fan... Unfortunately i bleed green. NY Jets green. What a hot mess they are right now. However, I thought that this year the NFL was one of the overall most enjoyable seasons in recent memory. except for the Jets part :crazy:

Boogie Bill wrote:As for team sports, I follow the Seattle Seahawks

Bill, I was rooting for the Seahawks to get to the big game.... I ended up watching a lot of Seahawks games this year, man they were an exciting team! I hope they can carry that momentum forward to next season

Scott

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:51 am

Chicken for lunch:

I would take my 84 F-100 . It does everything.

Team sports....baseball, but I like tennis best, but thats not really a team.
LS

Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:04 am

Lunch, dunno yet.

I'd take my '87 Skyhawk and the WR. Anything they don't do, I don't need.

I find myself enjoying Hockey as of late, our minor league team, the Wolves, is awesome to watch live. The Chicago Blackhawks are of course awesome as well, if even just to listen to on the radio! Summertime is for baseball- love em, hate em, love to hate em- Da Cubs!

Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:40 am

cuzwilly wrote:Back in the 70's and 80's playing in cover bands was pretty much the norm. You would play at holiday inns, beer joints,pizza places and road houses for the whole week. I did this myself for about 2 years. Disco DJ's and kareoke put a end to a lot of that.If I had to do this today. Id take my s500 tribute & my Will Ray tribute. mainly because these guitars sound and play great. And if something happens to them they could be replaced. When you playing out like that something always happens. I would also take my Line 6 pod 500 and Peavey classic amp. Set the tone controls on the amp to 0 and cover everything from heavy metal to soft jazz. It not perfect but close and very function able

This post is a belter cuz :clap: not only echoes my thoughts like a mirror but the bulk of my playing days as well.
There were 2 other factors in australia circa the 80's in particular mate.the 1st being that along with DJ's & karaoke slaying the live serpent there was also the much dreaded camp fire strummer.who armed with a drum machine,a takamine & his favourite edition of 101 hits for buskers would go sabotage a venue by telling the boss he could do the same job for 50 bucks & a few drinks :roll: this was the birth of midi as well.there was still money in the bush in the 90's if you wanted to travel but these cats plus poker & card machines decimated the live scene in the smoke.
Another was the 80's was also the era of diamond dave,Bon jovi,spandex & hair bands :happy0007: so between the Johnny mellencamp & Bryan Adams staples the plank spanker had a few holes to shine & taking a swinging bridge to ape eddies latest licks was all the rage to an extent until slash turned up.
The conundrums that can arise taking a Floyd or kahler on the road with you as one of your bridges are near limitless doing a covers gig :lol:
If you'd asked me this question circa that era I would take the exact same 2 models as you've picked here cuz',but in hindsight & due to my experiences would probably bite the bullet a bit now & take 2 of the same all weather planks to keep me,the band & the show motoring along.
Good read cuz cheers..

Boogie Bill wrote:Well, a Legacy is my main guitar. And when I gig with my cover band I will always take a backup. Now I also use a 2HB guitar, usually a Les Paul or 335. The Legacy Special works well in its ability to backup the both Legacy and the 2HBn with the ergon of the Legacy and the thick tone of the Paul.

Now I could also probably get by with either one of my S-500s or Comanches, and my ASAT Deluxe. I suppose a Legacy 2HB could also work in place of the AD. I can't remember the scale length on the Ascari, but that could be a candidate...I prefer the Gibson scale for my 2HB guitar.

The idea of using two, a duplicate, of any one guitar is an excellent idea. It depends on how married you are to the design. For example, can't imagine Steve Cropper or Roy Buchanan using anything but a tele.

The amp would be key in this scenario. With my Boogies, I can get the single coil Legacys nearly as thick and meaty as my Les Pauls.

As for team sports, I follow the Seattle Seahawks and Mariners, and the Portland Trail Blazers. Big fan of all of them.

Bill

It's a tough call bill for sure.id really like to road test a Comanche & SC-2 in this setting & see how they fair mate.sounds like Scott's getting between styles no probs with his.the legacy is defineatly a safe bet,especially with a boogie & the right stomps or a module of some description.
The cropper/Buchanan call is bang on bud,both them cats can skate between genres with aplomb on one weapon of choice.converesly though we're hearing them in an original setting,wonder how roy would fare going from wayfaring pilgram to enter sand man on the tele? :lol:
That brings us back to Louis & scott's angle though by "owning" & interpreting a song your own way,which also has merit.
Portland were a great team not so long ago,how are they going nowadays bill still up there?

Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:17 pm

The Black Page wrote:
meursault wrote:Damn... I eat nothing special, I can't imagine a cover band "touring", and I don't like team sports

dude...
1.youre Belgian.you could fill every lunch report with chocolate & beer stories & have everyone on the board salivating from here to Gent
2.the scenario is purely hypothetical bro but is not as uncommon as you might think.i cant recall using that word verbatim & my apologies if ive confused anyone else here but irrespective have heard of covers acts "touring" the world (especially concept bands) & it's not unusual at all in countries like Australia,the U.K. Etc to be doing the grind playing in one city or town one night & another a night or 2 later.i personally did it for 5 years solid playing the length & breadth of Australia & would almost lay a wager that acts in your fine demographic would be doing something similar.Maybe Antwerp one night,Brussels the next etc.
3.belguim had a great football team not so long ago,Scifo was a legend.Get a grip man!

Ill put the question to you another way bro.
You're in a covers band that pretty well plays all contemporary styles.
It's a common scenario for semi & full time professional guitarists meursault & guys like louis,gitman,blarg & co would know exactly where I'm coming from.
Have a crack at it mate

ok... there's a big italian community here in belgium... you know, scifo, blablabla ! :mrgreen:

so... spaghetti a la bolognese ! :evilgrin:

ok,let's play the game... at least kind of ! ^^ as louis cyfer said, i'd take my asats that gave me all satisfaction tonewise and playability ! :luv: in fact, the music i play today is the sum of a lot of different influences from noise, indie, punk to metal, from sonic youth, unwoud, fugazi to karate and the melvins...

now... team sport ? :think: formula 1... engineers, tech guys, test pilots, sports team, pilots of course, a all team in the service of madness... i like it ! 8-)

Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:32 pm

I have an ash 1990 (?) ASAT that was a III, but the guitar has been routed and fitted with two Dimarzio (DLX plus) pickups that are coil-tapped...this would be the two guitars (in one) that I would take...I recently picked up a custom Invader: mahogany w/maple cap, ebony slab board, two Gotoh blades and SD in the bridge...so that would be my second....better question is, "which amp?"

Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:41 pm

lesdavaz wrote:I have an ash 1990 (?) ASAT that was a III, but the guitar has been routed and fitted with two Dimarzio (DLX plus) pickups that are coil-tapped...this would be the two guitars (in one) that I would take...I recently picked up a custom Invader: mahogany w/maple cap, ebony slab board, two Gotoh blades and SD in the bridge...so that would be my second....better question is, "which amp?"

i hear you. i have a lot of amps. but after i got my two rock crs v3, it is not a valid question anymore.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:52 pm

louis cyfer wrote:
lesdavaz wrote:I have an ash 1990 (?) ASAT that was a III, but the guitar has been routed and fitted with two Dimarzio (DLX plus) pickups that are coil-tapped...this would be the two guitars (in one) that I would take...I recently picked up a custom Invader: mahogany w/maple cap, ebony slab board, two Gotoh blades and SD in the bridge...so that would be my second....better question is, "which amp?"

i hear you. i have a lot of amps. but after i got my two rock crs v3, it is not a valid question anymore.

I've only heard of them and have never tried one. I have a short Mesa MKIII blue stripe simulclass head that I run class A. It's old, but works great w/EVERYTHING, but especially the ASAT cited above.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:25 pm

lesdavaz wrote:I've only heard of them and have never tried one. I have a short Mesa MKIII blue stripe simulclass head that I run class A. It's old, but works great w/EVERYTHING, but especially the ASAT cited above.

Have one set of tone controls doesn't sound very fun in a multiple channel amp. Time to upgrade.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:53 pm

meowmix wrote:
lesdavaz wrote:I've only heard of them and have never tried one. I have a short Mesa MKIII blue stripe simulclass head that I run class A. It's old, but works great w/EVERYTHING, but especially the ASAT cited above.

Have one set of tone controls doesn't sound very fun in a multiple channel amp. Time to upgrade.
:happy0065:

Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:13 pm

Which guitars to take?

Seeing as in a band situation I'm mainly a bass player and at best a mediocre rhythm guitarist, the guitar choice will be pretty easy. I'll take an '86 ASAT, maple body with ebony board (not sure whether it will be the Kahler or the the SaddleLock, thought), and my '82 SC-2 for late in the evening when the ASAT gets too heavy.

Picking two basses would be a much harder choice. One of them would have to be an early L-series bass in mahogany (either an '80 L-1000 or an '81 L-2000E) strung with a very good set of flats. The L-2KE would give me a little bit more versatility, but the L-1K would give me the OMG switch. I guess I'd take the 'Wunkay for the ultimate thunderous bottom end. That would be my bass for Motown, early country, blues, or anything that needs either a deep fundamental thump or an amp pushed to the point of breaking up. For the second bass I would be torn between a Lynx and an El Toro. They both have a lot of punch and emphasize the upper mids, and would be great for rock, pop, punk, funk - anything that will put me above the fifth fret for most of the time. IMO the Lynx is the more comfortable of the two, but the El Toro has a bit thicker sound from the pickups. Whichever I went with, it would be strung with a set of quarter-round or half-round strings.

Team sports:

My favorite sport is rugby union, which I played off and on from my teens through my thirties. I had several team mates suffer serious injuries over the years, which caused me to back off from playing for a big part of that time. An injury at practice finally ended it for me. As much as I love the sport, watching it on TV really makes me want to be back on the pitch.

I switched my loyalty back and forth between NFL teams when I was a kid, but in the '90s I went back to my family's Wisconsin roots and became a Packers fan. They were a lot of fun to watch, especially when Brett Favre was playing. Of course he was making millions of dollars, but he and the rest of the team made it look like they truly enjoyed being out there on the field.

With my neighborhood being just outside of Baltimore, everybody around here are fanatics about the Ravens. I had never cared for the team and went my own way for a couple of years, but last fall I decided to give them a try for one season. I picked a good one for it!

I never got the whole college football excitement. Maybe it's having gone to two schools that were lucky to break even most years. I've tried to adopt my local team (Navy), but somehow they just aren't as exciting as the Ravens.

Ken

Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:26 am

meursault wrote:
ok... there's a big italian community here in belgium... you know, scifo, blablabla !

so... spaghetti a la bolognese !

ok,let's play the game... at least kind of ! ^^ as louis cyfer said, i'd take my asats that gave me all satisfaction tonewise and playability ! in fact, the music i play today is the sum of a lot of different influences from noise, indie, punk to metal, from sonic youth, unwoud, fugazi to karate and the melvins...

now... team sport ? formula 1... engineers, tech guys, test pilots, sports team, pilots of course, a all team in the service of madness... i like it !

louis cyfer wrote:
meowmix wrote:

Tough crowd guys! :lol:
Look a nice amp the two rocks Louis.whats the scoop with the gain on them mate,reminiscent of?
Also are the bright etc settings footswitchable?

KenC wrote:Which guitars to take?

Seeing as in a band situation I'm mainly a bass player and at best a mediocre rhythm guitarist, the guitar choice will be pretty easy. I'll take an '86 ASAT, maple body with ebony board (not sure whether it will be the Kahler or the the SaddleLock, thought), and my '82 SC-2 for late in the evening when the ASAT gets too heavy.

Team sports:

My favorite sport is rugby union, which I played off and on from my teens through my thirties. I had several team mates suffer serious injuries over the years, which caused me to back off from playing for a big part of that time. An injury at practice finally ended it for me. As much as I love the sport, watching it on TV really makes me want to be back on the pitch.

I switched my loyalty back and forth between NFL teams when I was a kid, but in the '90s I went back to my family's Wisconsin roots and became a Packers fan. They were a lot of fun to watch, especially when Brett Favre was playing. Of course he was making millions of dollars, but he and the rest of the team made it look like they truly enjoyed being out there on the pitch.
Ken

Another packers fan :D

Started following them the same time as you Ken,on the back of favre in the 90's.
A little odd to hear an American say rugby union is he favourite sport though bud.how did you get into that?
Is rar-rar in anyway big in the US?

The SC-2 has been a stand out selection,must be some bit of kit!!

Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:09 am

When i think about it, I think I like rugby as well...

Football is a gentleman’s game played by hooligans, and rugby is a hooligans’ game played by gentlemen... ^^

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:37 am

meowmix wrote:

I only use two of the three channels, and rarely have to change settings. If I did, though, I can see your point. It's hard enough to find the mini-toggle for the coil tap while diming the vol and rolling back tone, trying not to miss the beat.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:02 pm

The Black Page wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:
meowmix wrote:

Tough crowd guys! :lol:
Look a nice amp the two rocks Louis.whats the scoop with the gain on them mate,reminiscent of?
Also are the bright etc settings footswitchable?

it sounds like a dumble. you can bypass the tonestack with foot switch.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:33 pm

The Black Page wrote:A little odd to hear an American say rugby union is he favourite sport though bud.how did you get into that?
Is rar-rar in anyway big in the US?

I saw it in a movie as a kid, and thought it looked fun. The high school football coach said I was too small to play on the line and to slow to be in the backfield, and that I didn't need to bother trying out. So, I tracked down the city's rugby club and talked them into letting me play on the B-side to learn the sport. To be honest, I started playing to impress girls, really got into it for the post-game parties, and then played for the love of the sport.

It turned out I was too small to play flanker (my first choice) and too slow to be a back, but hooking worked out well for me. In college I started right away as the school's A-side hooker, but learned shortly thereafter that one of my old teammates had died on the pitch from a brain injury. That really took the wind out of my sails for a couple of years. I took the sport up again a couple of times after college, but always ended up with one injury or another sidelining me partway through the season.

It's mainly played in the USA at colleges, or by city clubs full of guys who got their start in college. Same thing for women's rugby. It seems to a different feel all over the country. I started playing in South Carolina, where the "played by gentlemen" thing was definitely going on. On the other hand, I played for one club in Southern California where most of the team lived together in one house and it was a constant party. The strangest experience was going to practice with the Old Mission Beach Athletic Club (OMBAC) in San Diego when I was in the Navy. All of the other teams I had played on had an A-side, and could just about scrape together a B-side (sometimes pulling in spectators or A-siders from the other team). At OMBAC I practiced with the D- and E-sides, and those guys were better than most of the A-sides I'd played against before. OMBAC's A-side was pretty much made up of the USA Eagles' team.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:42 am

meursault wrote:When i think about it, I think I like rugby as well...

Football is a gentleman’s game played by hooligans, and rugby is a hooligans’ game played by gentlemen... ^^

Historically it appears to have taken shape that way to a degree copain :?

louis cyfer wrote: it sounds like a dumble. you can bypass the tonestack with foot switch.

Is this the only amp you currently own big guy? What about other new gen stuff that has either emerged or picked its game up Louis do you think they've brought anything groundbreaking to the table regarding a signature sound or just blown the dust out of existing technology mate?
The reason I ask is last I was up on it there was a zillion variants about but pros or aficionados were still settling on terrafirma like boogie,Marshall,vox,fender etc. brands like orange,bogner,line 6 et al were only just on the horizon before I give it away so never had the chance to road test any of them.cheers..

KenC wrote:
I saw it in a movie as a kid, and thought it looked fun. The high school football coach said I was too small to play on the line and to slow to be in the backfield, and that I didn't need to bother trying out. So, I tracked down the city's rugby club and talked them into letting me play on the B-side to learn the sport. To be honest, I started playing to impress girls, really got into it for the post-game parties, and then played for the love of the sport.

It turned out I was too small to play flanker (my first choice) and too slow to be a back, but hooking worked out well for me. In college I started right away as the school's A-side hooker, but learned shortly thereafter that one of my old teammates had died on the pitch from a brain injury. That really took the wind out of my sails for a couple of years. I took the sport up again a couple of times after college, but always ended up with one injury or another sidelining me partway through the season.

It's mainly played in the USA at colleges, or by city clubs full of guys who got their start in college. Same thing for women's rugby. It seems to a different feel all over the country. I started playing in South Carolina, where the "played by gentlemen" thing was definitely going on. On the other hand, I played for one club in Southern California where most of the team lived together in one house and it was a constant party. The strangest experience was going to practice with the Old Mission Beach Athletic Club (OMBAC) in San Diego when I was in the Navy. All of the other teams I had played on had an A-side, and could just about scrape together a B-side (sometimes pulling in spectators or A-siders from the other team). At OMBAC I practiced with the D- and E-sides, and those guys were better than most of the A-sides I'd played against before. OMBAC's A-side was pretty much made up of the USA Eagles' team.

Excellent read ken cheers.
In Australia pretty well all states play cricket in the summer, but in the winter time we diverge into either Aussie rules,rugby league or rugby union.where blargs from is Aussie rules Mecca & the other states main winter sport too, where as New South Wales & Queensland play predominantly the other 2.
It's sort of a class structure as youve alluded as well,meaning the working class play mainly league while the college scene play union.i hooked all my playing life too but in league not union.played a few games though & love the sport.
Haven't seen the eagles run around in some time now ken but as is the case with soccer the past decade or two were really beginning to be make a fair account of themselves.The problem short of throwing big bucks into the domestic competition like they have with soccer I think lies in the demographic bud.europe has the 6 nations every year & us lot the tri nations,super 14's plus tours & cups so we all get a good litmus test on how we fare on the world stage,where as the states are sort of bundled in with Argentina & co & are not really able to get good all year round hit short of seldom playing at home.time will tell I spose mate..

Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:19 am

i own a lot of amps. i can't stand mesa boogie, i have had quite a few, of those as well. bogner has some nice stuff, fryette, red plate, fuchs, hiwatt, morgan, three monkeys, i especially like the orangutan. i think two rock has really improved the dumble for flexibility and function. i currently have a 57 tweed deluxe, a 59 bassman earlie reissue, a 40th anniversary blonde twin reissue, a 67 ampeg reveberocket, a 95 ampeg reverberocket, a heritage kenny burrell signature, a ceriatone ots 50 and an apitar valve 30. in addition to the two rock custom reverb signatre v3 of course. a lot of pros use two rock these days and a lot of them use dumbles. remember, even srv used a dumble, most think his sound was from a fender, but his most famous stuff was on a dumble. so does santana, he only endorses mesa. i had a chance at a real dumble recently, but it was 60k, so i passed. 6k is enough.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:38 am

louis cyfer wrote:i own a lot of amps. i can't stand mesa boogie, i have had quite a few, of those as well. bogner has some nice stuff, fryette, red plate, fuchs, hiwatt, morgan, three monkeys, i especially like the orangutan. i think two rock has really improved the dumble for flexibility and function. i currently have a 57 tweed deluxe, a 59 bassman earlie reissue, a 40th anniversary blonde twin reissue, a 67 ampeg reveberocket, a 95 ampeg reverberocket, a heritage kenny burrell signature, a ceriatone ots 50 and an apitar valve 30. in addition to the two rock custom reverb signatre v3 of course. a lot of pros use two rock these days and a lot of them use dumbles. remember, even srv used a dumble, most think his sound was from a fender, but his most famous stuff was on a dumble. so does santana, he only endorses mesa. i had a chance at a real dumble recently, but it was 60k, so i passed. 6k is enough.

That's a serious collection big guy :shock: dayum...sort of getting acclimatized to it here now,some of you guys are housing more kit than half the music stores I've been in :lol:
All I've got is a boogie mark IV & an AC30,would like a nice Marshall quad in a perfect world & that would probably do me for a home recording rig.
Live wise I don't know how I'd play these days if i was ever to go back out again.like cuzwilly ive been on the recieving end of snapped necks,drinks spilled on floor modules & the like & wouldnt dare take the planks i got now out on the grind.a couple of tribbies & an equally expendable amp if fate should befall it.
been looking at the line 6 DT & bugera infinium lately.whats your take on them mate any good you think?

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:46 am

i have never had an issue with taking gear to play out. never had a guitar, amp, pedals or anything else damaged. i want to sound good, i'll take my best guitar and amp to play out anywhere. i have never liked anything by line 6 or bugera.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:00 am

louis cyfer wrote:i have never had an issue with taking gear to play out. never had a guitar, amp, pedals or anything else damaged. i want to sound good, i'll take my best guitar and amp to play out anywhere. i have never liked anything by line 6 or bugera.

I never understood why players would not bring their best sounding stuff. I also never understood why they cranked the volume to ear hurting levels just so they can get that "tone". Those 2 things are probably related.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:23 am

meowmix wrote:... I also never understood why they cranked the volume to ear hurting levels just so they can get that "tone".

What puzzles me is when a guitarist plays too loud and isn't close to what you know he is chasing :shocked028:
I find those are also the ones that haven't figured out twist the Vol pot on a single coil ax between tunes.
...toneblind I guess.

elwood

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:29 pm

The Black Page wrote:In Australia pretty well all states play cricket in the summer, but in the winter time we diverge into either Aussie rules,rugby league or rugby union.where blargs from is Aussie rules Mecca & the other states main winter sport too, where as New South Wales & Queensland play predominantly the other 2.

Since we don't have cricket or Aussie rules football, rugby in the US tends to go with spring and fall seasons. There is also a fair amount of sevens played in the summer for those who enjoy throwing up in extreme heat. My last partial season was in Portland Maine, with a club team that would do beach runs in the winter to stay in shape. In case you're not familiar with Maine - winter there is about five months that rarely get above freezing, but the wind coming in off the Atlantic makes the beaches feel much much colder...

The Black Page wrote:It's sort of a class structure as youve alluded as well,meaning the working class play mainly league while the college scene play union.i hooked all my playing life too but in league not union.played a few games though & love the sport.

I've never seen league played in the US. Everything is either union or seven-sides.

Ken

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:58 pm

meowmix wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:i have never had an issue with taking gear to play out. never had a guitar, amp, pedals or anything else damaged. i want to sound good, i'll take my best guitar and amp to play out anywhere. i have never liked anything by line 6 or bugera.

I never understood why players would not bring their best sounding stuff. I also never understood why they cranked the volume to ear hurting levels just so they can get that "tone". Those 2 things are probably related.

We do several gigs where the crowd can be totally out of control, and even though there are security guards between you and the audience, that doesn't stop them throwing cans of booze or food dye (yes, don't ask) at you. Personally, I'd rather have the contents of that can ruin my $40 Peavey than have to cough up the cash to repair my best amp. Sometimes dust is a major factor too, as are outdoor concerts that use a portable generator to supply power (there's serious potential there for damage) or if shelter might be sketchy and the weather unstable. Nothing bad has happened to my gear and that Peavey is still in excellent condition, but for me the reward is not worth the risk. And for what its worth, that Peavey sounds very good.

The Black Page wrote:been looking at the line 6 DT & bugera infinium lately.whats your take on them mate any good you think?

Get a Peavey!

Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:21 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:
meowmix wrote:

We do several gigs where the crowd can be totally out of control, and even though there are security guards between you and the audience, that doesn't stop them throwing cans of booze or food dye (yes, don't ask) at you. Personally, I'd rather have the contents of that can ruin my $40 Peavey than have to cough up the cash to repair my best amp. Sometimes dust is a major factor too, as are outdoor concerts that use a portable generator to supply power (there's serious potential there for damage) or if shelter might be sketchy and the weather unstable. Nothing bad has happened to my gear and that Peavey is still in excellent condition, but for me the reward is not worth the risk. And for what its worth, that Peavey sounds very good.

The Black Page wrote:been looking at the line 6 DT & bugera infinium lately.whats your take on them mate any good you think?

Get a Peavey!

maybe if i lived there, i would be more careful too. i have seen crowds get crazy, but for some reason they seem to behave very politely when i am on stage.

i agree with the peavey though. i really like the classic 50. even though i sold mine, i was really impressed with it. i just have other, better amps, and i was not using it at all. i bought it for a 100 bucks new. it was not working, but since it was new, i had warranty repair.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:12 am

louis cyfer wrote:i agree with the peavey though. i really like the classic 50. even though i sold mine, i was really impressed with it. i just have other, better amps, and i was not using it at all. i bought it for a 100 bucks new. it was not working, but since it was new, i had warranty repair.

The Classic series are fantastic amps. I have a 50W Classic VT series from the '70s (solid state pre-amp, valve power amp, built in reverb and phaser :) ) that I got for $20. It needs fixing but even if I pay to get it repaired I'll be in front. When I bought it it worked for an entire day before the problem the seller described showed up again, and I liked the sound of it a LOT more than I had expected to. Plus it looks great :thumbup: