Lunch Report: 02/22/2013 - The Power of Networking

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:00 am

Scotch with water last night for dinner and only a small bowl of brown rice with raw egg for breakfast meant when I finally got to lunch I was so hungry that I forgot to take a photo for today. So the karage (Japanese chicken nuggets) you see below are already partially consumed. Coming full circle, my last lunch report of the week finds me at a different yakitori izakaya than the one I patroned at the beginning. I think business at this one has been hurting a little bit since that one opened up, so to win back their customers they started all-you-can-eat karage lunch sets for the same price ($9).

Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to play guitar last night because of the networking event in Tokyo I attended. That'a shame because I'm thinking that my soul really needs to play some more music, and start a band again. So while chomping on my chicken, I used a smartphone app called LINE that I just got to reconnect with to some of the guys and girls in my old music network. I'm not a very social animal, but it's amazing how fast things happen when you just go for it.

One of the things I got from last night's event besides a lot of business cards and a mild hangover was a better sense of how to communicate with people. Specifically, how to listen to them, and make them want to talk to you. A friend of mine who organised the event says networking (or communicating) is about finding out what YOU can do for people, and then what they can do for you. Keeping that in mind, today I was able to spark a bit of interest in forming a band with an old friend who hasn't played bass in four years.

And for the first time in more than 10 years, my G&L Legacy is in really good playing condition now, thanks to the support of members of this forum like Louis and Darwin. So it's time for me and the "mean green machine" to get out there, show everyone what we can do, and try to use the power of music to heal the other tired, lonely, stressed out souls in Tokyo. What happens before and after the music plays is really just as important as the music itself, because without it, there would be no music. The glamour and excitement of performance outshines these more mundane aspects, so I think we tend to forget.

So for today's topic, I want to know how and where did you meet the people you play music with now? Were you carrying a G&L?

And if you didn't have a G&L, why not?

Re: Lunch Report: 02/22/2013 - The Power of Networking

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:37 am

a lot of people i lay i don't meet until we get on stage. it is a beautiful thing when it clicks without any rehearsals, or any previous experience with each other. sometimes it's pretty bad though. sometimes i play with people i have known for a long time. i don't have a regular band, i just sit in a a guest, or go to jams. i don't know any of the songs that the bands i play with do. i usually ask that when they say what song comes next, don't tell me a title, just tell me the key, the speed the style, and if there is any unusual changes to look out for.
sometimes a g&l, sometimes a strat. just depends.

i don't think it is possible for someone to be stressed out by an external source. stress in self created always. it a response that happens in our body to an external stimulus. it doesn't have to happen though, we allow by choice. after i realized this, i have not stressed since. i can either do something about, and then i do that, stressing would be counterproductive, or it is out of my control, and stressing about that would be pointless.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:45 am

louis cyfer wrote:i don't think it is possible for someone to be stressed out by an external source. stress in self created always. it a response that happens in our body to an external stimulus. it doesn't have to happen though, we allow by choice. after i realized this, i have not stressed since. i can either do something about, and then i do that, stressing would be counterproductive, or it is out of my control, and stressing about that would be pointless.

:thumbup: I am definitely a follower of that school of thought. No @#$% is getting inside my head, and ruining my day. Music makes it harder for them to even get close, though.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:29 am

Interesting and different week of reports Greenblues ... cool
Haven't posted over the last few months due to travel, work and family commitments but I've tried to keep up with the reading.

Love Japan ... visited a couple of times but strangely (or maybe not) I haven't been to Tokyo.
Greenblues wrote:how and where did you meet the people you play music with now? Were you carrying a G&L?

Three of my current band mates have been with me since high school .... and no, I wasn't carrying a G&L
Greenblues wrote:And if you didn't have a G&L, why not?

'cause I'm 56yo and high school was a l-o-n-g time ago!

A question (or two) for you. Have you had a look at the Japanese G&L Premium range. If so, how do they stack up along side the Asian Tribute and USA G&L products. We see a few of them occasionally on ebay Aus and have been tempted but I've never been sure how you find a niche between the Tributes and the USA models.

cheers, Robbie

Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:37 am

Greenblues wrote:
So for today's topic, I want to know how and where did you meet the people you play music with now? Were you carrying a G&L?

I've been a home player for 35 years and I've never played music with anyone.

Nice job this week!

Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:25 am

great week, haven't been able to contribute much.

love the look of all the food. Wouldn't try the eel though.

Playing with others is now my biggest wish, I'm 56, been playing for 5 years and I seem to have waned in my desire to practice.

I am going to look around for people to play/jam with and see if that helps, but not sure how to go about it. My guitar teacher isn't much help here because most of his clients are teenagers and that wouldn't work.

My financial advisor is a home guitar player, he's 50 but has been playing since he was 14. tried jamming with him and that was no fun, he had no patience with me, just played his own stuff.

By the way, watched Sound City last night and really liked it! Worth a watch!

Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:48 am

locally we have a place called the Poormans Country Club. It's nothing more than a large shelter house with a stage at one end. In the summer
April to October 2nd Sunday of the month there is a jam session. all types of music all musicians are welcome to play. makes no difference your
skill level beginner or pro.It is alot of fun. You get to meet and talk to people you wouldn't normally meet or play music with and exposes you to music you wouldn't normally play. Maybe some of you might organize a open jam in your area. All you need is a place to play once a month and
put out a invitation.
All the regular guy's and gal's know I'm a G&L man. If I bring one of my non G&L's to the jam they want to know what's wrong with me.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:16 pm

You have shown us some incredible lunches this week.
Japanese food in Japan must be a real palate treat.

I met the key people I make music with in high school and I am 59 years old!
We, or more accurately I, did lose touch for a number of years but I got a call in 2002 to join the band and I have been part of it ever since and yes I had my L-1000 at the time but within one year i bought an L-2000 and use that bass more often than not.

It comes from a band that has been together for 42 years in some form or another and the fact that we didn't make the band a hassle to be in. We don't practice that much and we play at open mikes where we meet other musicians.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:30 pm

Greenblues wrote:So for today's topic, I want to know how and where did you meet the people you play music with now? Were you carrying a G&L?

Well the band I play with (when I have time) is a 'pipe band, so I was not carrying a G&L and the reason... they don't make bagpipes! :happy0007:

The other music group I work with is our church group, but with them I'm the vocalist. My guitar playing is mostly at home for my own pleasure, or jamming with friends.

I really enjoyed watching this Japanese grandmother play guitar... yes, seriously! :o It's worth watching. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhdfNlqR ... ature=fvwp

Edit: OK, she's from Singapore, but for a 73 year old granny, she plays my kinda blues (Peter Green).

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:25 pm

Greenblues wrote:So for today's topic, I want to know how and where did you meet the people you play music with now? Were you carrying a G&L?

I met the people I play with through local musicians website and I did have a G&L with me!

Aussie wrote:A question (or two) for you. Have you had a look at the Japanese G&L Premium range. If so, how do they stack up along side the Asian Tribute and USA G&L products. We see a few of them occasionally on ebay Aus and have been tempted but I've never been sure how you find a niche between the Tributes and the USA models.

I was hoping to hear about those too.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:54 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:
Aussie wrote:A question (or two) for you. Have you had a look at the Japanese G&L Premium range. If so, how do they stack up along side the Asian Tribute and USA G&L products. We see a few of them occasionally on ebay Aus and have been tempted but I've never been sure how you find a niche between the Tributes and the USA models.

i second that, i'd like to know a little more about those.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:42 am

louis cyfer wrote:
blargfromouterspace wrote:

i second that, i'd like to know a little more about those.

I haven't heard of those. Do they offer lefty's? Just saw a Classic SH with individual ferrules instead of the block. US price too. I must learn more...

Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:08 pm

Can't say I've seen any lefties but ....

As far as I know the Premium range is limited to the ASAT Classic, S500, SB2 and L2000. Here's a few pics. Notice that while the basses use the Saddle Lock Bridge, the S500 uses a Gotoh bridge.

Premium ASAT Headstock

ASAT Classic

S500

L2000

Cheers, Robbie

Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:26 pm

They look really good. That ASAT looks incredible!

Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:31 pm

wow. thy look great. as i understand, after g&l moving the tribute line out of japan, they left the premium line just for the japanese market. they look vey nice. is this from the fujigen gakki factory?

Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:43 pm

I'd like to know where too and if any lefty's are offered. I saw a Classic Custom for sale too....... I want one to try out.

Cheers,

Will

Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:10 pm

:oops: Actually, I wasn't even aware Premiums existed.

Years ago I almost got a sparkle blue ASAT I saw in a shop for about 70000 yen (abt $700 with the exchange rate back then...). :shock: That price shocked because imports normally go for TWICE their street price here. I guess I should have bought it, because it looks like the prices have gone up since then (unless that was a tribute, not a premium, or just a sale) My curiosity has been piqued, so I'll try one and maybe even buy one, then write about it next time I'm the lunch reporter.

In the meantime, here's a link to to the distributor/retailer's online store:

http://www.kurosawagakki.com/kmc/gl_gui ... l2520.html

and you can actually order them through this form:

http://www.kurosawagakki.com/english/index.html

By now, I'm sure that everyone knows the Japanese are so good at copying things that the resulting copy often exceeds the original in terms of quality, so these must be good instruments. Also, they come with an accessory pack that includes strings, picks, a cable, string-winder cloth, stand and strap with a G&L logo on it!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and your online translators are not up to the task (they seldom are.)