Friday, February 8 2013

Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:17 am

Finally Friday

Lunch will be a sandwich between teaching spaces….. again…..
The Reveal

Thanks to you guys for hanging with me this week. It has been a lot of fun sharing the garage project with you.

Here is the final look.

[Image

The final space is 11x11 with 10 1/2 foot ceilings and I am into the project for around $4000.00 including everything from the in floor heat, new concrete, 2 new doors, new insulation,tile floor, led lighting, guitar hangers, furniture, etc,etc…

Well the snow didn't hit hard yesterday but they say its still coming! Still darn cold though - We had a rehearsal last night and it was almost -30 (-22F)with wind chill. Speaking of weather, my family usually travels to the southern U.S twice a year, once in the spring on march break and once in the fall. After many years of traveling south i was always amazed by peoples reaction when we would say we were from Canada. Stuff like "ohhh its so cold up there… I could't live in that cold all the time…" Weather is usually the subject of small talk and this one waitress asked us how warm it got in the summer. My reply "Usually around 30 degrees, it is beautiful and hot" She had this god awful look on her face… And replied, "you guys are crazy for living up there" When we left it dawned on me!!!! The conversion!! Nobody in the south converts! Its all in Fahrenheit! No wonder everyone thinks we live in igloos! She thinks it never gets above freezing! Lesson learned so now its "our summers are just like yours usually in the 80's sometimes up into the 90's" Its all about the conversion now :lol:

Any funny stories related to a misunderstanding? (conversion, language barrier…any thing will do)

G&L

I will keep it simple… What are your plans with your G&L ('s) this weekend? I am not gigging so i hope to have some free time to change the strings on the comanche.
I am thrilled to see that the lunch report for the next few weeks have been spoken for, and looking forward to Bassmans reports next week.

Scott

Re: Friday, February 8 2013

Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:58 am

-----AMENDMENT-----

I am pleased to report that today lunch will NOT be a sandwich! It is a SNOW DAY!!! I got up, posted my report and in the mean time the powers that be have cancelled all transportation to the schools. I get to hang out with kids and make something half decent for lunch!

I will also amend the question.... Do you remember and snow / inclement weather days as a kid? They used to be the best days in the world!

Scott

Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:02 am

gitman001 wrote:

G&L

I will keep it simple… What are your plans with your G&L ('s) this weekend?

It's suppose to rain on Sunday. If it does rain I might work on my Interceptor. I have a couple of 70's Telecasters that need some attention too.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:42 am

when I got off work this morning I stopped a Libby's& mom's a local restaurant and had the #2. thats 2 eggs meduim fried taters with onions
biscuits & gravy and a big slice of fried german baloney.
got to work this weekend but all my guitars are over due for new strings.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:22 am

Hi Scott:

Great job all week and I love your new room, congrats. really enjoyed the LRs

I'm in niagara and this morning we had over a foot of new snow and its still coming.

Snow day for sure!

Nothing much planned for the G&Ls this weekend, took the bluesboy to my lesson last saturday, best guitar for taking to a lesson, light and easy to play. I love that guitar more and more everyday.

My great nephew turns 2 tomorrow, so big family gathering as he's the only great grandson and grandson so far!

Loves toy cars, has about 100 of em, so we got him some more.......

Are you in toronto? Might have to come up sometime and take a lesson!

Alf

Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:27 am

That room looks GREAT. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:38 am

Its almost lunch so to quote the great Ed "What the Heck..."

The weekends are usually a pretty quiet place on the board, so i will drop a quick video in here to give you all something to do on the weekend ;)

We had rehearsal last night for the wedding next thursday - Turns out the bride to be and groom are big zeppelin fans. One of her favs is "The Ocean" We told them we would give it a go.... Don't know if any of you guys have played it before - The intro (and solo) is a bar of 4/4 followed by a bar of 7/8, talk about messing with your internal clock when you are improvising! We have a couple things to clean up on it, but all in all I thought it turned out okay.

[youtube]Jtk9x9s4vGU[/youtube]

Alf, I am a few hours east of the big city, but we do make it up to T.O from time to time. It would be cool to get together with some fellow GbLers.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:53 pm

Scott, we had medical things to take care of all morning, routine preventative stuff. I just had a bowl of chicken noodle and we may miss Big Loiuis this afternoon depending on how Ginny is doing later.

I also miss Ed but I am sure he has good reasons. Aging parents can be time consuming, see what I have to look forward to? (Aging Parent, I'll become one)

First of all Scott, your music room is stellar. There is nothing like being able to stand back and look at all of them! You have some real nice touches including color choices. Well executed.

Thank for you reports this week and you better brace yourself for the storm. Lots of popcorn and goodies for the girls and squander a few cold ones away for yourself.

Yes I have said things that were taken wrong. I dropped in on my high school girlfriend who lived quite a distance away, it wasn't cool to date someone in you home school, and her mother was cooking something in the kitchen. She was a very proper lady and she asked me what I was doing in town. I told her I just stopped by to see "whats cookin'" a term we used for whats up! I got the look.-- Darwin

Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:15 pm

You and your family have made a really warm and welcoming music room; I hope it is always happy and inspiring!
It makes this older guy really happy to see it, it's like I something I might have done a long time ago, only your is much better.
Thanks for all your pictures, and for a great week.
Best wishes to you!

Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:20 pm

I REALLY love your Comanche. If i were to build one, that is what it would look like. Drat! Now I have to think of something else..Thank you for sharing your inner sanctum Scott. Gives me ideas for my own!

Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:22 pm

Thanks again guys for all the kind words

gitman001 wrote:She had this god awful look on her face… And replied, "you guys are crazy for living up there"

Turns out she was absolutely right!!

And the snow is only about 1/2 way finished according to the radar!

Scott

Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:23 pm

Sorry I haven't been able to participate more. I love your room. One of my biggest problems is that I don't have a music room.

And I love that Comanche! Beautiful! I am so glad that I took the chance on my first Comanche. I have two...one is TSB on ash, GOT maple neck, cream guard and black pickups and controls. The other is Baby Blue with a matching headstock, RW board, tortoise guard and black knobs. I may have written the "Comanche For Dummies" post, but these are guitars are for highly intelligent and discriminating guitarists with excellent tastes in fine instruments.

And that's the Truth! :happy0065:

Bill

Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:47 pm

That's a great music room you've got there, I remember when I built mine and it was clean and pristine looking like yours, now it's quite full and cluttered with stuff and I wish I could have made it twice the size! Good luck keeping that nice clean Look.

I'm just south of Buffalo, most of the storm passed to the north of me.

This weekend I'm hot rodding a cheap BC Rich for my nephew, It just came back from the paint shop with a custom job and I'm installing all upgradred pots and swicthes and an early 80's Demarzio super distoration at the bridge, as far as the G&L's I'm going to string my old 500 with some Ernie Ball Cobalt slinkys, I'm afraid I may have fell for the hype as these strings cost over 8 bucks compared to the regular slinkeys at 3 fifty, I'm thinking they can't be 5 dollors difference in tone but we'll see.

Gary

Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:54 pm

Thanks for a most enjoyable week Scott. I really do like your music room. Every house should have one!
I have a treatment room for patients at the end of my yard; I can't keep instruments down there, but it's a blessing that I can take amps, guitars and bagpipes down there and make lots of noise without bothering anyone.

I remember some great inclement weather as a kid. Many happy sledging (tobogganing) trips and the frozen feet that went with them. It's one of the few things I really miss about not having kids of my own.

My G&L activities of the weekend? Hmmm. I'll see what I have to say next week, but I do have some ideas. 8-)

Thanks again!

Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:33 pm

Great week, Scott. Great project. Great photos. Great guitars. Great amps. Beautiful little helper. Enjoy. Time really starts taking off about now...

I've been reading your Lunch Reports with great enjoyment. I regret not having more time to participate this week - or recently for that matter. Trying to juggle too many balls right now... (spare me guys, eh? - ha!).

Briefly.....

G&L plans: I got fresh strings on the SC-2 in the stand next to a '66 Vibro Champ. Also, Bassman is playing locally on Sat. Night. I have a rare "date" with my wife that evening at a different restaurant, but I'm hoping we'll get over to his gig and that he'll be rocking a G&L (as is usually the case).

As far as misunderstandings, one comes to mind at the moment and I swear to G-d it's true! In 7th grade Science class, we were learning about trichinosis, and my partner (a Venezuelan gal who would become a dear friend) could not understand how one could get a disease from eating under cooked pork.

That's all from me tonight. Thanks again for a stellar week and congratulations with the room and all your many blessings. - ed

Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:45 pm

gitman001 wrote:Its almost lunch so to quote the great Ed "What the Heck..."

The weekends are usually a pretty quiet place on the board, so i will drop a quick video in here to give you all something to do on the weekend ;)

We had rehearsal last night for the wedding next thursday - Turns out the bride to be and groom are big zeppelin fans. One of her favs is "The Ocean" We told them we would give it a go.... Don't know if any of you guys have played it before - The intro (and solo) is a bar of 4/4 followed by a bar of 7/8, talk about messing with your internal clock when you are improvising! We have a couple things to clean up on it, but all in all I thought it turned out okay.

[youtube]Jtk9x9s4vGU[/youtube]

Alf, I am a few hours east of the big city, but we do make it up to T.O from time to time. It would be cool to get together with some fellow GbLers.

if page ever sounded or played as well as you do on their songs, i would actually like zeppelin. i always thought the drumming and bass playing was good, just the guitar playing was so crappy that i could never stand it. you make it worth listening to.

Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:47 am

Hey Scott thanks for a great week! Couldn't chime in Friday because of the storm, just got power back this morning. We got about 2 ft here in RI, I guess someone heard us talking about how little snow we've gotten during last weeks lunch reports. I don't mind though (besides the shoveling :thumbdown: )

Beautiful job on the guitar room and "The Ocean" sounded great, I'm sure the bride/groom will be impressed!

Plans this weekend with G&L's? well perspective band meet got postponed until Tuesday, I did throw together a pedal board and tweeked the settings on my pedals to match the new-ish amp. Other than that, I have a set of DR Pure Blues in 11's to try out at some point, both my asats have the aforementioned strings in 10's currently on them, figured I'd give 11 a try just for the heck of it. Just need to decide which asat gets the experiment...classic or special :think:

Looking forward to hearing from Bassman next week

Have a good one!

-Dave