Thursday, February 7 2013

Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:34 am

Terrific Thursday

Today is the best day of the week for me, I don't work until 3 and my youngest daughter doesn't have school (She is in Junior Kindergarden and goes Monday, Wednesday and every other Friday) So today is "Daddy Day" as she refers to it. Most mornings start with the same question from her "Is today a Daddy Day?" And Thursday's I finally get to answer yes! I think it is her favourite day of the week too!

We are heading out early to do some errands as the weather forecast calls for 10 inches of snow starting later today and continuing into tomorrow. I am sure i will be able to check in later tonight as i anticipate some weather related cancellations.

So heres an easy one…. What is the weather today where you live? Are you shovelling, bundled up or putting on the sunscreen and shorts?

Fit and Finish

There has been quite a bit of chatter lately on finishes. Again to state the obvious, G&L finishes are second to none. I always get asked which guitar is my favourite, and i really don't have and answer - They are all just as pleasing to look at and play as the next…. BUT when it does come time to order one or pull the trigger on one it can be next to impossible to decide!

Do you have a favourite finish? Or is there a finish that you don't have you are really GASing for?

I am really digging the sparkle lately. A few more gigs and i will be ready to pull the trigger on a orange sparkle z-3 (w/bigsby). One day i would like to have an example of each sparkle finish in my collection.

When we were deciding on a paint colour, we probably had 50 shades of brown (wait is that a book? :happy0007: maybe i'll write a prequel) We narrowed it down to 3 and bought 3 sample sizes jars…
Here is "Daddy's litre helper" my 4 year old

Here the room is ready to get accessorized!

Have a good one
Scott

Re: Thursday, February 7 2013

Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:56 am

gitman001 wrote:
So heres an easy one…. What is the weather today where you live? Are you shovelling, bundled up or putting on the sunscreen and shorts?

It's 45 degrees and raining here in the northwest corner of Missouri.

gitman001 wrote:Fit and Finish

Do you have a favourite finish? Or is there a finish that you don't have you are really GASing for?

I'd like to have an Asat Classic or Bluesboy in a sparkle finish! Sparkle orange would be my preference.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:09 am

Scott, The weather here is quite warm after a fairly cool spell. It will get to 32 today.

I am heading out for a while myself. G&L finishes have been terrific but the woods are the real bonus. The Sparkles are great as no one else does them as well. I really do put a premium on the looks of a guitar. If it looks good and sounds good, what more could you ask.

After seeing more pictures of you room, I am relieved too see that you do have room for expansion. You can add another row of hangars, below the others, and I see that you have another wall immediately to the left of the wall you are currently using. I think you are going to need it! Thanks for posting the picture of your precious helper, and if for no other reason, you will have to add some guitars for her! -- Darwin

Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:13 am

Lunch...
I keep forgetting these are the lunch reports!! :?

We are home from our running around, and about to cook up some pork on the bbq with some garlic bread (told you i love Thursdays)

Sprinter - I'd take 45 degrees right now. It was -10 with wind chill... I am pretty close to being done with winter. Ummm orange flake, i can't seem to get it out of my head!

Darwin - There is lots of room for expansion! Thanks for your concern :lol: I purposely keep the guitars on the one wall only, i wanted to live in the space for a bit to see how it went. I didn't want it to feel too cramped or to busy having everything up.

Scott

Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:39 am

the weather here is nice about 55 and sunny. can,t enjoy it much must go to bed so i can go to work tonight.
Im thinking about a new G&l what model I cant decide what color will be impossible. My wife likes the purple sparkle.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:18 pm

The weather here in Maryland just north of Washington D.C., is in the 40 degree F. range with cloudy skies.
A very large winter storm is predicted to hit just North of us tonight, so Delaware, New Jersey and NY etc. may get 2 feet of snow. We are not supposed to get anything, but that is when the big storms hit. They are often mis-predicted.

Great job on your music room addition/conversion. That's a good color and it always an adventure to paint with a 4 year old.
She appears to be doing fine. My daughters are both very good painters and I taught them when they were little. They are both 25 now (twins).

No new G&Ls on my horizon. I just did a gig with my white 84 SB-2 bass and it sounded great.

I would love to get a sparkle ASAT bass, just for kicks.

-bassman

Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:17 pm

Weather . . . Abysmal.

Lunch . . . Abysmal. O.k., not too bad. I'm cutting weight, so I had a turkey burger w/ minimal cheese, mustard (I love mustard!), a banana, and three celery sticks.

Finishes . . . I'm a wood-grain guy. Flamed or quilted is nice, but even a nice even grained Mahogany or standard piece of Swamp Ash is nice. It just seems unique and somehow holistic or natural. So I tend to like transparent finishes that show off the grain.. I also like Sunbursts, particularly brown or yellow onesones. So Antique Sunburst or the Tea/Honey/Tobacco bursts. I also really like the 2-tone Sunburst you see on Fenders. I'm not a fan of red; it's not usually a deal breaker, but I MUCH prefer it not be on my guitar, hence I'm not a fan of 3-tone Sunbursts. I also like there to be a subtle/gradual transition from the center to the perimeter burst, not just an immediate/thick black magic marker type of streak around the edge. I just like it to look like an antique sort of vibe about it, like it has been taken care of but aged and darkened or oxidized a bit over time. I realize that's not what happens, but I think it gives off that same appearance sort of.

On guitars with pickguards, I like black pickguards and lighter finishes. My Logan Strat is gold, and it has a white pickguard which is fine; it would look great w/ black pick guard & pickups though. But my ASAT Blues Boy that just came in is a butterscotch w/ black pickguard and looks really nice. I also like a light blue or seafoam green, usually w/ white pickguards. I like the contrast and on black pickguard versions it's kind of like a reverse-sunburst. Kind of. Sort of.

I think my ideal would be an espresso-brown-to-translucent-black sunburst on a tight flamed or almost quilted maple where the flames showed off a creamy tan color. I have similar tastes toward dark stained wood in furniture and architecture (cabinetry, flooring, walls, etc.).

-Cheers

Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:23 pm

Perfect weather here today. Shorts and t-shirt weather.

+1 on G&Ls finishes being the best. There's no clear favourite for me but there are some I'd never go for...

Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Lunch: is going to be sushi with plenty of wasabe and pickled ginger. Yum.

Weather: 32C (roughly 90F), light cloud, light sea breeze. Too good to be at work. I can see beer + shorts + t-shirt + hammock in my future once 5 pm is here.

Finishes: I agree with Halowords almost to a tee. Finishes that show grain are classic, but I do like surf green, daphne blue and vintage white as well. I would add that I'm not a fan of tort pick guards or matching headstocks and I like maple necks with a tint so they don't look too stark white. I've never been fond of gold hardware - it doesn't seem properly rock'n'roll - but in places like Vegas it's probably compulsory.

That room looks fantastic Scott. My 4 y.o. likes to 'help' too, but your daughter looks far more proficient with a roller. Now there's a talent worth nurturing!

Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:24 pm

bassman wrote:I would love to get a sparkle ASAT bass, just for kicks.

I have a gold sparkle ASAT bass and would love to turn it into one with a transparent finish...just sayin'...

Ken

Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:05 pm

Lunch: breakfast for lunch, i.e. a Spanish Omelet at the Hurricane Café.

gitman001 wrote:So heres an easy one…. What is the weather today where you live? Are you shovelling, bundled up or putting on the sunscreen and shorts?

This morning it was light rain, now I'm looking at a beautiful sunset under blue skies. Go figure ...

gitman001 wrote:When we were deciding on a paint colour, we probably had 50 shades of brown (wait is that a book? :happy0007: maybe i'll write a prequel)

Think that has been done already. To my recollection, the main character is a dog lover and it involves a pooper scooper. ;)

Your daughter helping you out is just adorable! Cute, cute, cute.

- Jos

Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:57 pm

Getting ready for a true blue or I should say white northeaster,,,,,,,,,,,,snow 12 to 24 inches starting Friday. Got my plow truck ready to go. I only plow my own, its an off the road 89 Ram.
Fav. finish , prob. sunburst.
LS