Wednesday, Feb 6 2013

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:46 am

Another Wednesday…..

Inspiration and the Unexpected

Lunch will be from the road for the 3rd day in a row… By the end of the school year i really don't like sandwiches!

Just a few weeks after it had been decided the garage was to be converted, my wife and I were in the home depot picking up a few things (unrelated to the new project). Since i knew we were going to do in floor heat the best option for heat transfer was going to be ceramic tile (I did look into polished concrete, but it was WAY too much money for a small space). Anyway we happened to be walking by the flooring isle and this caught our eye.

It is ceramic tile that has a textured finish that looks almost exactly like hardwood. We knew we had found our floor! I went home, measured the space and immediately went back and grabbed the stuff. It served as the inspiration for the rest of the room.

We had a gig Friday night at one of the biggest venues in town. It was our first time there since we changed from a 5 to 4 piece. We had a really good night and the crowd was really digging it. Turns out there was a Jack & Jill party there for a lovely couple that we getting married next week on Valentines Day. (Its next Thursday by the way…. Be forewarned fellas!) Anyway the groom to be called us the next day and asked if we could play at the wedding. We jumped at the chance to play a well paying gig on a thursday night… Totally unexpected. +1 for a band taking a DJ's job for once! I did feel bad for the DJ for having his DJ gig cancelled…. for about a second, then i got over it.

So the question… You have anything unexpected happen to you recently you care to share?

G&L

Inspiration - Does your G&L inspire you to play? I know mine do… They inspire me to play just a little bit better each and every day. As most of you know these are some of the most articulate and sometimes unforgiving guitars to play. As i sit here looking at "The Wall" i am having a hard time not reaching over and grabbing one and losing myself for 15 minutes of so!

Here are some shots of the "Blank Canvas"

Have a great day!
Scott

Re: Wednesday, Feb 6 2013

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:31 am

My G&L (Will Ray) is definitely inspirational.
And I agree with what you I think you mean when you say "unforgiving"; I don't find it so now, I get on with it wonderfully well, but when I first tried it I knew there was something special in there, but it also made me feel, well, fainthearted!
Maybe this guitar has made me brave, or mad, or a bit of both. I don't feel anything but confident and very happy with it now. But friends who pick it up for the first time say they get the pants-down feeling too!
I almost always circuit-tweak guitars, amps, consoles etc, and this has been no exception. It covers a vast amount of sound ground, all of it fantastically well (it was also great before I started fiddling, of course).
Apart from my Danelectros (slide), which are so un-Leo as not to be comparable, nothing else comes close. I lent my Fralin'd Strat to an old friend recently, and if he keeps it for a few years, I'm sure that will be just fine.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:52 am

Hey Scott, really enjoying your reports this week, haven't had much time to post. To play catch up, My first G&L was a '06 ASAT (special) still have it, fantastic guitar. The only factory tour I recall is of "Dairy Land", it was advertised on the back of the milk cartons in school so one day my friends and I got together and took our own fieldtrip, during school hours of course... because of the educational value.... :lol: and lastly, I would like to see a behind the scenes sub forum, experimental stuff, custom orders, all very interesting.

Ok all caught up.
I hear you on the sandwiches, just last mount I stopped buying sliced bread, I'm all sandwiched out!

Unexpected: I answered an ad on CL last week for a guy looking to start a band locally, turns out he went to school with my sister and very likely has been to my parents house. On top of that the bass player that responded to his ad graduated HS with me, as did the singer. We all live in different towns now but somehow have come together...well not quite yet, getting together Saturday. Hope it goes well, I really miss playing out.

Inspiring: I do find my G&L's inspiring, most nights I can't go to bed without playing a few chords. My music space is right next to my 2 y/o daughter's bedroom so playing time is limited. She has had an interest in music so far since she was able to walk, I'm hoping the interest stays, I love it when she comes down the hall and tells me to play guitar while she plays drums. I'm more than happy to oblige :mrgreen:

The room is looking great, band sounds good, Congrats on the gig!

Have a good one!
-Dave

Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:26 pm

You gotta love it when you pick up gigs at gigs. We're playing a wedding this weekend for a guy who organises a big country bash that we play at every year. We're doing another wedding in a couple of weeks too. It's been about two years since we last played a wedding, now there's two in a month. They're always fun, even if they go bad - as an outsider you can stand back and laugh.

We were surprised recently when we each came back from the week long music festival I talked about in my LRs a couple of weeks ago with a significant amount of money. We'd all expected to be down a couple of hundred $, but instead it's paid for my SC2!

That floor looks much better than it sounds!

Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:31 pm

HEy Congrats on the new floor and landing the wedding gig - COOL!

Not much in the way of unexpected stuff in the recent past but have a feeling something's right round the corner...

Re Inspiriing - Yes, definitely. Looks, feel & sounds.

Cheers,
KF

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:35 pm

Lunch today was Chicken Noodle soup, the old standby.

Inspiration and the Unexpected

First, the unexpected happens to me frequently as I'm not looking for anything in particular when I am guitar perusing and it is a treat to find something that you totally unexpect. It happened yesterday. I ran into a 25 Th anniversary ASAT Classic from 2006 that the dealer didn't find in his inventory until this week. It had been in the case all this time. I may get weak on that one.

I find that G&L's do inspire me. I didn't get into guitar until 2005 after many years away from it. Our singer left his strat with me to do some work on while he vacationed in California. It was a new awakening for me and I was back into it. Then the first G&L in 2008. Yep, it worked!

Scott, your music room is really neat. You have done a very thoughtful layout and it does look great. What is the contingency plan when you run out of room? It can happen to any of us. :thumbup: -- Darwin

Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:37 am

Hey Guys,

Thanks for stopping by,

Nick - I really can't wait to see the new Will Ray that you will be ordering. And pretty darn cool that he took the time to show some of his personal guitars over on the other page! :happy0065:

Dave - Good to hear from you! Hope all goes well with the Jam on the weekend.

Jamie - Getting paid playing our G&L's to buy more G&L's! Love it. That is exactly what i do :evilgrin:

Katefan - Keep us posted on the unexpected.... especially if it includes any new G&L's ;)

Darwin - I have a 25th, I will post over in the other forum later this morning. I am no fortune teller, but i think i can see the future pretty clear on this one :D