Lunch Report: 02/01/2013 - ASATs & Oddities

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:00 am

Day Five: February 1ST. I can't believe we're actually here, with the world ending, etc... It's cold here, but no frozen pipes or broken down furnaces, yet. Despite it being sunny and ice cold, I'm having no problem keeping the indoor humidity between 45~50+ percent. I have an old-fashioned Taylor Humidiguide that displays temp & humidity. It must be over 50 years old...

G&L/BBE Question:

What style of G&L interests you the most right now, but you don't own?

That looks like a fun guitar! Great for playing outside in the summer; I'm dreaming now... I've done well with the S-500 and think this wouldn't be too big of a leap sound-wise. This one is "new", but been sitting in a store for years! Looking at that bridge tells me it could be many. My goal is to do the low ball shuffle and wish me luck today!

Non-G&L Question

Odd instruments. I could go there with slit & clay drums, but this little harmonica makes me laugh:

It sounds good and has a warning posted on the case that it is NOT a toy! Really? Looks like one to me. That harmonica does throw a lot of sound and I keep it in my gear bag... Just in case. So, what odd/unexpected instrument(s) do you have? A mouth harp is also acceptable.

I hope I did the Lunch Reports justice this week. It's one of the things that keep me around week after week. Have a good one everybody!

Cheers,

Will
Last edited by willross on Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Lunch Report: 02/01/2013 - ASATs & Oddities

Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:51 am

G&L/BBE Question: What style of G&L interests you the most right now, but you don't own?
A Spalted Maple bluesboy. The only one I've seen for sale is way outside my price range though! :crazy:
The Korina BB looks good as well. But I'm holding off on that, having already bought the ASAT Deluxe in the last month, paid my tax bill and insurances etc. I'll have to do a bit more saving before 'investing' in another guitar.
I'm also really interested to see what's happening on the LE2 front!
I've sold all my solid colour guitars - I like to see the wood grain. NPG is a definite preference too.

Non-G&L Question: Odd instruments... I play bagpipes. What more need be said!

I've enjoyed your LRs this week very much.
Thanks Will! :D

Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:36 pm

Goat,

Thanks! Yeah, I ended up passing on a Korina BBoy, but would have loved a LH Dlx... Bagpipes are awesome, although I've heard them described as a few shehnai's attached to a goat bag. Not my description, btw.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:48 pm

Lunch today was Reuben on marbled rye, cream of broccoli soup, and Jasmine Tea.

G&L Model i don't own that interests me: An original F-100 Series I with a body-through saddle lock in book case collectible condition. Clear blue over ash if I had it exactly my way. I may also one day go after a Comanche, too many guitars so little time.

Odd Instruments:
Djembe drum, more than a few of my friends own one of these. Drumming circles are a blast and I often join in, but have to use a borrowed drum. Probably time to own one.

Will, thank you VERY much for a fum LR week. This tradition is the glue that keep me stuck on this place.
Last edited by JagInTheBag on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:54 pm

Jag, you are right! A Lunch Report missing the lunch: mine was tandoor chicken with rice. It was good, really good....

Yeah, anything Z-Coil but re-configured for lefty. They made a few of those Comanche's but with right-handed Z's. It looked good and was on sale for a LONG time, but I couldn't get over the wrong angled pickups. Thanks for everything.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:51 pm

WIll, good luck with the ASAT 3. That pick guard looks quite yellowed, I think you're right about it being several years old!

I really want an SC2. Badly. I don't think I'll buy the LE2 - bridge humbuckers don't float my boat and having seen the fallout I'm not sure about the pick guard - so I'm going to buy one in the next few days with the money from the trip last week. I was sniped yesterday whilst trying to buy one on ebay, an '83 that I hope went to someone around here. I also got sniped three times trying to buy a new washing machine, not just on ebay but on our version of craigslist! Anyway, I think I'll just order a new one, that way I get it exactly how I want it.

Other instruments - I play the banjo reasonably well. Not all that strange but you bear the brunt of more jokes than the drummer and bass player combined.

Great question this week :thumbup:

Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:56 pm

I was late with the call, but left a message. We'll see tomorrow! An older SC-1 or 2 would be nice. Good luck!

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:40 pm

Will, I'm late to the table today. I just got back from my date with Ginny at Big Louies. I had some Teriyaki wings and Ginny had some good spinach something! The most tasty was the Grain Belt Nordeast.

It's been a good week in Minnesota. Nice looking guitar in the picture Will. Glad I'm not looking for anything! Something usually finds me therefore I would hate to say what I would really like. It just may show up.

Something old/odd? I have three Fenders that have marginal necks. That is getting old. I probably will not buy another Fender. If anyone is interested about the necks, just ask me.

Thanks for the great week Will. The LRs are really fun and need to continue. :clap: :clap: -- Darwin

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:22 pm

Hey Will,

I will echo what others have said - Great job this week :happy0065: You have inspired me to throw my hat into the ring for next week! It is a tough act to follow... I hope you all can put up with me!

willross wrote:What style of G&L interests you the most right now, but you don't own?

BIGSBY BIGSBY BIGSBY!!!

I have a really odd didgeridoo that my brother brought back with him after he spent time in Australia.

Have a great weekend!

Scott

Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:16 pm

Darwin,

Yeah, that guitar looks good. They also have a few of the first run of the BlusBoys too. One's a baby blue and might grab that too if the price is right...

Scott,

A didgeridoo! Love it! I want a Bigsby on a G&L, but no lefties allowed. Good going on the LR. I'll be checking in too.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:17 pm

Hi Will,

Strangely enough, although I own a Z-2, I do not have any 3 Z-coil ASAT model: neither Z-3 nor Will Ray Sig. And on top of that no ASAT Classic Custom. So these 3 are somewhere at the top of my wish list.

No strange instruments here. You should watch out not to swallow that harmonica of yours ;)

- Jos

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:44 pm

A Classic Custom would be nice. Or now the Classic 90. The harmonica is very small, not a toy. I repeat: not a toy...

Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:29 am

That Hohner harmonica is just like one that was taken to the moon by one of the Apollo astronauts.

It is not a toy because you can actually play a major scale on it.

They are very cool.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:02 am

Yeah, love that little thing...