Lunch Report: 01/30/2013 - Ideas & Internet

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:06 am

Day three: Can't believe it's already the 30TH! I'm microwave rice noodle bowling it today. maybe two(their small). Also spending the day going through my finances. Yikes!

G&L/BBE Question:

Idea day! If G&L and BBE were taking submissions for ideas/concepts/improvements from this forum, what would you submit? Intellectual property aside, these would be freebies. For me, I'd have to assess their market and go that route. If it's younger shredder-types, I'd propose a seven string model with sculpted heel and flatter radius. Jazz/Fusion/Progressive-types, maybe a new take on peizo...

Random BBE product shot:

Non-G&L Question:

How do you do "internet"? Late 90's desktop with dial-up, 4G Android handheld, Wifi on an iPad or laptop in a coffee shop? Maybe a bit of all? I'm sure when Craig checks the traffic logs, he sees all types of browsers, IP's, and OS's cruising through here. I use a laptop, iPad, phone(Android OS), and mini Android/Debian tablet to view this forum. All in all, this site holds-up. phpBB is a good project...

Cheers,

Will

Re: Lunch Report: 01/30/2013 - Ideas & Internet

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:00 am

Haven't decided on lunch yet Will. Yours sounds convenient!

Wish list for G&L ? Mine would be more design changes. I sense some issues with the truss rod screw and even though it is now a screw that is adjusted with a 4mm hex wrench, I would like to see the hex recess deeper. The older ones with the 1/4 in hex I think were better as they were quite deep. I still like the Wheel at the bass of the neck and I have several brands that use that. I would also like to see a sculptured heel of some type, the mico tilt neck and I think the ASAT Classic could benefit from a bridge plate redesign, making it a bit thicker and removing the stand up edges. I am blown away by looking at some of the woods in the gallery only to see them with a detracting pickguard covering up some of the beauty. I look at a Spalted Maple Legacy and it had the pickguard covering up much of the beauty. I would make the no pickguard standard on most models other than the solid colors. Suggesting a headstock change is really going out on the limb but I think the short headstock on the Musicman guitars is kind of cool and actually a nice balance. Oh Boy! these G&Ls are great and maybe we should leave them as is!!! I really like the Alnico and P90 options.

I browse using my Imac. We have had several Windows computers and still have a couple but the Imac for what I do is fantastic. We did have dial up for quite a few years and I am now riding the technology wave at a 50KB transfer rate. I cannot stream videos and am planning on an upgrade soon. I do not have a smart phone, Ipad, or any of the current gizmos. I don't even text. It makes sense for a guy like me to avoid all these distractions and focus on guitars! If I were working in todays world, I would be using the latest and greatest but being retired and living in a cave is pretty much as good as it can get. -- Darwin

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:48 am

willross wrote:
G&L/BBE Question:

Idea day! If G&L and BBE were taking submissions for ideas/concepts/improvements from this forum, what would you submit?

I'd like to see more dealers. My local dealer closed 4 years ago. I haven't seen a new G&L guitar in person since 2009. I'm interested in a few of the new models, but I'd like to see them in person before buying one. I'm very interested in the single pickup Asat and I hope they offer it without a pickguard!

willross wrote:
Non-G&L Question:

How do you do "internet"? Late 90's desktop with dial-up, 4G Android handheld, Wifi on an iPad or laptop in a coffee shop?

I have a laptop at home and work. I have an older desk top at home that needs to be replaced. I use the computer at work mostly for accessing General Motors service information. However, on slow snowy days like today it comes in handy for passing the time.

Sprinter 92

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:24 am

Darwin, I agree with you on all counts! I also wish that the Solamente's didn't have a covered neck pickup route. I think I'll still get one along with a LE-2.

Sprinter, More dealers. We have one somewhat in my area, but still rely on the internet to see them all...

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:20 pm

My wish list? G&L to listen to their own luthiers. I am sure they would know of somethings to make things better and are forbidden to do so.

Internet: Fiber Optics. Simply the best. No more "trunk" with the cable company. Dial-up always sucked.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:28 pm

better customer service, if it were not for craig, g&l would have no customer service at all. i live 25 minutes from the factory, yet can't find a dealer who has more than 2 or 3 g&l's in stock. when i had to deal with g7l repairs, getting a phone call returned or an email from them was like pulling teeth.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:37 pm

Meomix, hopefully 2013 will be a better year for G&L on all fronts. I always liked the bi-cut neck and that truss setup. I surf on fiber sometimes too and use ATTO. I love them and used for over 10 years with SCSI too...

Louis, I hear you on customer service and many companies need help in that department, especially for international clients...

Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:42 pm

willross wrote:G&L/BBE Question:

Idea day! If G&L and BBE were taking submissions for ideas/concepts/improvements from this forum, what would you submit

As I wrote yesterday, I'd put the model name ('Bluesboy', 'Solamente' etc) on the headstock. It'd take a graphic designer 3 hours tops to come up with the logo using the existing font.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:57 pm

Random ideas for improvements: better shielding e.g. provide an option for conductive paint in the electronics cavity and a decent coverage of foil on the pickguard. All my G&L's are loud hummers compared with my other guitars. Shielding fixes them but is a PITA. Shorten the headstock slightly so that the overall guitar length is compatible with most generic cases. And I have to put in a bid for better customer service as well. Being a G&L owner outside of the US is like being invisible. We've had 3 local distributors in Australia in the last 12-18 months. They don't care. And G&L head office keeps saying to channel all requests through the distributor. Ummm, reality check! Aint gonna happen.

Browsing tools: I use an Android tablet to browse the forum most, followed by a laptop PC. While browsing on the tablet is great, experience has taught me that posting a response is best done from the PC. I use my Android phone as a last resort, but posting is painful.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:06 pm

Hi Will. Sorry I haven't participated more this week. Between the kids and my old folks, haven't had the time to respond, but I have been reading. You're doing an excellent job - as usual - btw....

Lunch today was a McDonalds Fillet O' Fish sandwich. I picked up two (for $3.00!) yesterday evening when I went to get a "special" dessert for the kids, and saved one for today. Cheetos, banana and water to round things out.

Suggestions for G&L/BBE: A few years ago, I suggested on this forum that G&L ought to run with the "Mustang" style guitar body, since FMIC had such a strong grip on "S" and "T" style guitars. Well, I have no idea whether it's because somebody upstairs was listening or not, but not only has the SC-2 been re-issued, we're seeing that body style being further leveraged (ha!) in the new Fallout. So personally, I am so thrilled that I'm almost reluctant to ask for more. But as other have said, more dealers would serve G&L/BBE well, and customer service can ALWAYS be improved, so these are good things for the company to consider.

As far as the Internet is concerned, I use either a desktop or laptop. We're fortunate to have fiberoptic cable here, and it's faster than I was in high school! ;+) - ed

Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:19 pm

Jamie, I like the original BluesBoy logo as it was small and on the end...

Philby, shielding all the way. At least paint type. Also, we all could use better customer service!

Ed, how about the McASAT? Kidding aside, I'm hoping the LE-2 is a home run...

Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:38 pm

The McAsat is and was splendid! 1986 was a VERY good year!

[url]Image[/url]

The LE-2 is turning out to be quite the dream machine. I'm going to have to sell something significant if I am to join the club. I'm trying to decide whether my first-style SC-3 might have to be sacrificed....

- ed

PS: Got any clips featuring a G&L with the Decatone?

Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:54 pm

I sold the Decatone. My main Soldano is that Lucky13 custom-made and signed by the man himself and #007 to boot! My other main is a 1965 Fender Vibroverb... What a nice guitar btw.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:59 pm

Hey Will,

I would love for G&L to be able to drop/change a pickup route in any position - Yes I still really really really want an new SC-1!! oh well... Imagine an SZ-1, a single z-coil on the sc body! Now we are talking "uniquely yours" :D

I mostly read the forum between lessons on my iPhone or at home on the iMac.

Scott

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:35 pm

willross wrote:Idea day! If G&L and BBE were taking submissions for ideas/concepts/improvements from this forum, what would you submit?

A U.S. built G&L with a 23.75" scale, ideally on the SC-2/Fallout body. They obviously have the CNC coding for that one tribby model (the name escapes me). I would absolutely love to see a short-scale bass to pair with it.

willross wrote:How do you do "internet"?

A Windows desktop I built a couple of years ago, over fiber optic. Sometimes I check the forum on the bus ride home from DC using my smart phone, but that usually just gets frustrating to scroll with and impossible to use for posting.

Ken

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:47 pm

Scott, an SC-1 or HG-1 would work for me too. No true lefty Z's yet...

Ken, is it Fioriano or something? That would be nice. A lot of fiber folk on here.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:35 pm

willross wrote:Ken, is it Fioriano or something? That would be nice. A lot of fiber folk on here.

It's the Ascari. It may be a nice guitar, but the only pointy ones I go for are Interceptors. I'm also not a big fan of three-per-side tuners on G&Ls.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:41 pm

Sure. The only 3x3 G&L's I really like we're on the short lived acoustics...

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:19 pm

Lunch today was a "Slap yo Mama" burger and garlic Parmesan fries from a local place called Bull Dogs.

G&L Innovations: Contoured neck heal- introduce it on the Invader as a artists model, then make it available across that model. Names of models on the headstock seem a dandy idea!

Frankly, I think they are dealing with some legacy CNC equipment that doesn't allow for the flexibility one would anticipate from a modern manufacturing facility. That is a more likely reason for a pg cover on Solamente instead of dropping the pup route.

The thing I'd like most to see is carved top USA models. The Tribute ASAT Deluxe carve top is the slinkiest thing I've owned, the body is really compfy! I'd just like it with USA craftsmanship and a USA neck. I've told Dave on a number of occasions, I am a buyer for a USA Z-3 Carved Top, especially if it has a contoured neck heal.

Internet: Was down half the day today, the first day in my new office. DNS issues resolved I am now happily surfing again from my Windows laptop over cable. I also surf on my iPhone and the misses' iPad.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:06 am

Jag,

The contour neck heel. I wonder what Mr. Fender would have thought of that? The only carved tops I own are on LP style guitars, but the Tribute ASAT Deluxe does look nice. Best of luck in your new office...

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:51 am

willross wrote:Jag,

The contour neck heel. I wonder what Mr. Fender would have thought of that? The only carved tops I own are on LP style guitars, but the Tribute ASAT Deluxe does look nice. Best of luck in your new office...

I don't know if Leo ever thought one way or another about a heel contour. The big F didn't add one as an option until 2002. While shredders were abound in the 1980's, younger engineers were innovating things like that. Perhaps why G&L's lineup is dominated by T-Style guitars today and not 50 variations of Invader Superstrat models. My Skyhawk is another slinky body, with good access to the upper frets without the contour. Perhaps Leo didn't see the practical need given the guitarists he was talking with at the time. Popular opinion, however, is that there is a ton of perceived value in the neck contour. I wager more brands than not these days offer them. Why not add it? we have belly cuts, arm contours, what's at risk to offering a heel?

The new office is shaping up well. I just need to figure out how to mount guitar hangers on plaster lathe walls... :shocked028:

Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:54 am

Heel contour gets my vote too. I'd love to see one on the LE2. :)

Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:00 pm

Goat wrote:Heel contour gets my vote too. I'd love to see one on the LE2. :)

That won't happen. It would have to be CNC programmed and they just finished coding the darn thing...

Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:31 pm

Thanks for the coding update! It's all good to me...

Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:45 pm

willross wrote:Thanks for the coding update! It's all good to me...

We are much farther along than that Will. The only thing we are waiting on is the LE-2 specific pick guard from Chandler. It looks like the roasted maple is going to be reasonably priced as well, on par with quartersawn hard rock, cheaper than birdseye for certain. The supplier has a batch of roasted q-sawn hard rock coming up soon. G&L is checking on how much they can get their hands on.

(end thread high-jack)

~JagInTheBag

Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:48 pm

You da man!