Lunch Report: 01/29/2013 - Wants & Hopes

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:33 am

Day two: Electric Boogaloo. Today's lunch will be at Biaggi's Ristorante Italiano. I'll be ordering the Messina salad & Prime Rib and Three Cheese sandwich. Their iced tea is really good too.

G&L/BBE Question:

Other than wanting to see pictures and specs for the ASAT Solamente's, what would you like to see from the company that you haven't seen already? Or maybe seen before, but not for a while? I'd like to see more Clinics, Just-A-Jams & Open Houses.

I've never been to any and the Gallery images show some good times! G&L and BBE have a large line-up these days and these promotions are classics.

Non-G&L Question

Fitting music into your life. How do you accomplish this balance? With so much to do and limited time, where does it all fit? For me, I fell in-and-out for years with feast or famine music opportunities. My life has drifted in the direction of most work and accomplishment. The "starving artist" lifestyle scared the crap out of me, but a few of my friends went there and came out the other side wealthy and fulfilled. I'm still trying to have it all...

Cheers,

Will

Re: Lunch Report: 01/29/2013 - Wants & Hopes

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:28 am

my wants appears to be here today, looks like i am picking up the two rock this afternoon. as far as a guitar, as soon as a sculpted heel and the nena finish is available, i have my g&l picked out already.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:33 am

Louis,

Nice amp. I see the NENA happening before the heel sculpt.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:37 am

Will, I was brave and tried something new! A big bowl of chicken noodle soup. You lunch sounds better.

I made a choice early on that I had to be sure I could support my family. I was out of music completely for more than 30 years. I have looked back many times and wondered how a musicians life would have been for me. Reality tells me I made a good choice for myself. I really admire those who have made a good living in music. Especially if you become wealthy, but unless you get a terrific break there are hard dues to pay before getting there. I also know that I now enjoy music much more than I did when we were trying to "make it" in the 60s. At this time in my life, I really enjoy gigging for a much different reason (not a job) and having some time to absorb and appreciate the beauty and ownership of some decent guitars is my reward for retirement. I am lucky and I can't tell you how many times I reflect on not having to deal with todays job market. I remember years ago about how the American Dream was going to be a much shorter work week with much more time for leisure. Boy, was that a pipe dream. Many of the younger folks will be working much longer before they can retire. There are not as many wealthy people today for the number of people as there was years back. I do believe that the wealthy have become wealthier. I believe that you may in the music production field and I bet that it is more difficult to survive today than it once was. I just look at the number of people who do not post on this board today that were once here everyday. Probably the majority are too busy and don't have the time. I think than all hobbies are difficult to work into todays busy schedules. I think I just convince myself that this retirement is great. I just wish I were 30 years younger!

I would like to see some clinics and open houses at our G&L dealers. I would be happy to assist our dealer in doing that by volunteering some time to assist. I think it is nice to see all the new models but I would find unique and special models on display, from the past, especially interesting. After all, a lot of G&L is living Leos past. Guitars are not like autos and a single instrument will last a lifetime with appropriate care. AGB held a Taylor Road Show a couple of years ago. It was a blast. Waiting to see what tomorrow brings Will. -- Darwin

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:32 pm

Lunch-wise, I agree. It was great. Just left actually...

I hear you about the career path choices. However, do what you love and are good at. It's one thing to get a job, but making one is always better.

More Clinics! Also if they build-A-Jam again, the turnout will be big...

Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:02 pm

Hi Will, great week.

Today's lunch was soup, chicken soup as I had to go to toronto to get my stitches out from my knee surgery. All is well and the knee will be fine before you know it.

I would love to be able to go to more clinics and openhouses and jams. I'd be scared as my ability is still not that great.

I looked at the NAMM photos that Craig posted which were great and I am really surprised that G&L would announce new guitars at NAMM and not announce them publicly at the same time, or even to the dealers. Its called Marketing, folks.

While I can't relate to the music as a career thing, I did have the chance at 18 to be a ski bum. I was a certified ski instructor and had taught for years and was offered a full time job out at Whistler. I almost took it. It would have been fun, but my "real career" was a far better choice. I still think about it though.

I have a friend who is an amazing drummer and has been a professional in the toronto market for over 40 years. He's played with a number of bands, Lee Aaron band, Dirty White Boys (foreigner clone band), a Rod Stewart Clone band and a number of bands doing their own stuff. He's a terrific player, really nice guy, looks the part, etc etc but he's never been able to make any real money at it. In the 70s, good bands were payed well for weekly gigs at venues, but not these days, not really. He's kinda lucky in that he is also very artsy and now has a day job doing marketing and publication for a music magazine and it pays the bills. He now only gigs on weekends. Shame, tons of real talent out there, then there's Justin Bieber........................

Looking forward to more details on the new G&L axes!

Alf

Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:30 pm

willross wrote:Other than wanting to see pictures and specs for the ASAT Solamente's....

+1.

I think that the model variants on the ASAT Classic need to have a logo. Maybe drop the 'Classic' from the headstock and replace it with 'Bluesboy' or 'Solamente'. Do they even need to be called and ASAT still? IMO There is enough difference between the original ASAT (the ASAT Special) and the ASAT Classic to warrant dropping it.

Career Choices - As I said last week, there are people out there willing to go totally broke for the sake of their egos. Becoming famous and making enough money to support yourself let alone a family is pure fantasy. Just look at where some formerly big name artists are playing - small bars, cafes. They're probably barely scraping by too, despite having a following.

Its interesting to note how many big international acts are coming to Australia in recent times. They come here only when they can make money by doing it, its a long way from anywhere down here and there aren't that many people (population is ~25 million for the entire country). Coming up we have Robert Plant, who hasn't been here for like 40 years, Springsteen who hasn't for around 25 years, Dolly Parton was out last year for the first time since the mid-late '80s... They're just the ones who come to mind. But if even they're desperate enough to come here for money how can Average Joe expect to make a living from it?

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:42 pm

I tried both in the 80's. I was working for a company in the US which required me to travel to Norway for months at a time. I ended up meeting a bunch of musicians while over there and started playing just about every night. I worked at my day job then went off to the night clubs to play in the evenings. It wore me out. Needless to say I had great fun but did not make a lot of money at it. Traveling eventually became a chore which would have happened had I chosen a musical career.

Now I am content to play in a local band with no other aspirations than to play with good musicians at a nice venue two or three times a month.

RickT

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:00 pm

Alf, I used to ski quite a bit. I even channeled a bit of "Hotdog: The Movie" too...

Jamie, you are on the right track regarding the touring acts these days. I'm glad to see some of them, but I attended Mr. Springsteen's fairwell tour about 10 years ago...

Rick, Norway holds a pretty big Jazz Fest annually and I'm going to the next one too. Balance seems to be the mantra and "stardom" comes down to one great performance. At least that's what I've been told.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:22 pm

Hey Will,

Lunch today was pasta with the family.... The powers that be closed all the schools at 11 today as there was the threat of a serious amount of freezing rain (which took a sharp southerly path and never hit us!) It was nice having a few hours off on a tuesday.

I would love to see a G&L sponsored jam night/demo day - anything really to talk amongst other G&L enthusiasts!

Non G&L

I feel completely and utterly blessed to be able to have a successful career in music. Almost every penny i have made in the last 15 years has been with a guitar in my hand. Not that it all has been easy! I take my teaching business very seriously... sometimes too serious! I have a hard time saying no, which resulted in over 50 hours of lessons last week...Again i feel very fortunate to be able to do this as a living, and as long as people are willing to learn i will continue to try and find a space for them!

Have a good night!
Scott

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:20 pm

Scott,

I'm glad this dialog can be stirred-up again. Call me a trouble maker... Thanks for teaching. Math, music, problem solving, humility all go together. Music in schools needs to become a priority again. Our future is being built now. Let's make it beautiful.