Friday

Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:46 pm

I got a stomach bug last night so I skipped lunch today. Had a nice dinner of crumbed lamb cutlets with coleslaw at the pub we played at but couldn't keep it down so left it in the carpark :sick:

We had a couple of good shows today, and are through to the grand final of the "battle of the bands". I'm not one for competitions but with $1000 prize money its worth a shot. Backline was provided at the BOTB. There were two big Laney Ironheart amps on quad boxes. The sound guy at side of stage would not allow us to turn them up - I was standing with the thing pointed right at me and literally couldn't hear it.

We have one more show left here and its our national holiday, the imaginatively titled 'Australia Day'. It should be a good one. THen its a stop in Sydney on the way home. I can't wait to get back.

This humidity has caused me to go through 3 sets of strings in the last 4 days. I usually leave them on for months. I sometimes think my sweat must clean them :) Are you one of those unfortunate acid sweat guys that have to change strings constantly?

Has anyone been to NAMM and seen some cool stuff? If not, is there anything you like the look of thats being released this year?

THanks for tuning in this week. Enjoy your weekend :thumbup:

Re: Friday

Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:09 pm

i have known many players with horribly acidic sweat, their strings and hardware literally rot. i am lucky, my hands don't sweat and the strings stay like new for a long time.
i turn the amps up to where i need them, i don't let the sound guys tell me what to do.
Last edited by louis cyfer on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:07 pm

That's a good way to get a really bad mix out front where it matters most

Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:07 pm

I have quite dry hands, and if they do sweat at all, it's not string-rotting. I'm not a huge 'Fast Fret' fan, but I have a couple of friends who use my guitars if they come 'round to jam, and I use Fast Fret after or my strings die faster.

I can just imagine the sound guys looking at Louis and wondering how wise it would be to tell him to leave the amps alone....

I've enjoyed your week Jamie. Bit different and refreshing. Hope you add an extra LR report and tell us how you guys did in the BOTBs!
Hope it goes well for you, that you have fun doing it and give folk a memorable time.

Happy OZ Day! :)

Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:18 pm

Jamie, sorry about the bug you had. Bad food, but never bad beer!

I am rooting for you guys in the final. You are tops in my book. Isn't about time to post you favorite recording of mine?

I am lucky to not have the sweaty hand issue. My problem is if it hot and I am in the direct sunlight, my hearing aids get wet. Almost like having rain on your amp!

Tell the sound guy to crank the monitors up!

I am patiently waiting for the G&L announcement. Craig baited us a bit and I hope it isn't more overseas stuff. You have to post the results of the fianls and I hope they have some photographers showing that G&L of yours. Are you using the Korina? -- Darwin

Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:51 pm

Darwin - funnily enough. I think it may have been a bad beer that made me ill! Is just about finished this beer and noticed that the best before date was 3 months ago.... The monitor guy said he'd do that but didn't despite repeated requests. Meh, all done now. We've just had a look at the manual for the laneys and have a plan of attack for today. Im using my classic s, I'm glad I didn't bring the korina, the heavier strings would be murder on my raw fingers!

Goat - ill put the result up later this arvo, we'll know by 6pm today.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:15 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:That's a good way to get a really bad mix out front where it matters most

i usually turn the amps around, if they are ported, that way you can push them a bit, but not blast any particular part of the audience. it mixes better in the room as well. i did sound for quite a long time (including a degree in recording arts), and most of the sound guys a clubs know very little about it, so i trust my own judgement.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:51 pm

I'be just seen another g&l, but nobody is using it. There's a trans red l2000 with black crinkle hardware on the stage.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:08 pm

If nobody's using that G&L, maybe you or one of your buddy's could. Just sayin'.... -ed

Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:19 pm

Hi Jamie. Sorry to hear you've been poorly. Drinking NSW beer will do that to you though.

I don't sweat much and my strings generally last me ages. In fact I prefer old strings to new ones as long as they're not rusty.

I hope you get the amp situation sorted out. I've played through those Laney Lionheart amps before, and they're excellent. At only 20W it's easy to get them into breakup territory without making your ears bleed. They're definitely Vox/Hi-Watt in flavour though, so finding a classic Fender clean sound may not be easy. I believe Laney had some suggested settings on their website for different genres of music.

Good luck in the BOTB final! :thumbup:

Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:49 pm

Phil - its not the lionheart ones, they're fine, its an IRONheart. A heavy metal amp. At a country music festival. Idiots.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:27 pm

We didn't win, but the band who did truly deserved too. They had a ver original, modern twist on the country sound which was very australian too.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:18 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:Phil - its not the lionheart ones, they're fine, its an IRONheart. A heavy metal amp. At a country music festival. Idiots.

Ha! I misread your post - too early in the morning. Idiots indeed. Sorry to hear you didn't take out first prize, but at least the winner sounds worthy.

Fri May 03, 2013 11:51 am

I'm a notorious sweater mate,I had to restring every gig when I was at it full time.even a Saturday gig after a fresh set on a Friday was rolling the dice :( sorry I was late reading these blarg been caught up since I got back with the scale down here etc.anyway thanks for the read bro,cheers..