Wednesday - Sweet Revenge

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:06 pm

Those buskers I was ranting about yesterday are doing it tough today. It was about 1,000,000 degrees outside today with no breeze to speak of. Suckers! There's a storm rolling in now too, so it'll be nice and wet out there for the evening sessions :twisted:

Lunch today was rissoles and veges. It was alright, suitably meaty and covered-in-gravy enough to cure the shocking hangover I woke up with this morning. I cant wait to get back home and get a plate of spicy noodles, I get tired of poorly made 'western' food after a couple of days and that seems to be all thats on offer here.

Is your wife/partner/housemate as good a cook as your mother? And is your mother as good a cook as your grandmother? My grandmothers were both excellent cooks. My mum cooks decent food. My girlfriend does alright when she cooks, but that isn't very often at all.

Purging gear. Earlier this week I was showing my girlfriends nephew (7 years old) through my music room and he asked me why I had 8 amplifiers. It was a good question. I accumulated a lot of undesirable, untrendy, cheapo amps last yearand now have to try and get rid of them. The total cost for four of these is less than $200, but even if I try seling them at the price I paid I cant! Anyone in a similar situation?

G&L sighting count is still zero!

Re: Wednesday - Sweet Revenge

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:03 am

Since it is still Tuesday here, I have yet to have Wednesday's lunch. I wouldn't say my mate's a better cook than my mom, just different but also better qualified in certain areas. Neither of my grandmothers impressed me much in the cooking department.

With respect to purging gear, I am in the same situation. I am still dealing with getting rid of a Squier Bullet and Peavey Rage 158 amp, and it is quite the hassle. I sold my Squier Affinity Tele to my next door neighbour, however, and used the proceeds to buy an Epiphone Valve Jr. The Tele was actually a decent and fun guitar but I realized that I wasn't playing my Legacy much and that a decent tube amp was more important.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:58 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:Is your wife/partner/housemate as good a cook as your mother? And is your mother as good a cook as your grandmother?

My mother and grandmothers were all very good cooks! I don't have a wife/partner/housemate, so I'm the cook. I don't think I'm quite as good of a cook as my mother and grandmothers, but I'm satisfied with most everything I make. Norwegian dishes are my specialty. I love Norwegian food!

blargfromouterspace wrote:Purging gear. Earlier this week I was showing my girlfriends nephew (7 years old) through my music room and he asked me why I had 8 amplifiers. It was a good question. I accumulated a lot of undesirable, untrendy, cheapo amps last year and now have to try and get rid of them. The total cost for four of these is less than $200, but even if I try selling them at the price I paid I cant! Anyone in a similar situation?

I've been slowly working on thinning the herd. I use to hoard G&L's, whether I liked them or not. Now I'm only keeping the ones I like a lot. The ones that I seldom play are going to be sold. This also applies to my guitars from other makers. I have four amps and I'd like to thin them down to two. The '56 & '71 Fender Princeton's will stay. The Top Hat and Peavey will be sold. I'd like to get down to a total of six to eight guitars and two amps.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:27 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:Is your wife/partner/housemate as good a cook as your mother? And is your mother as good a cook as your grandmother? My grandmothers were both excellent cooks. My mum cooks decent food. My girlfriend does alright when she cooks, but that isn't very often at all.

My wife is an outstanding cook, so is my mom...but if i had to choose I would have to go with mama's cooking.

blargfromouterspace wrote:Purging gear. Earlier this week I was showing my girlfriends nephew (7 years old) through my music room and he asked me why I had 8 amplifiers. It was a good question. I accumulated a lot of undesirable, untrendy, cheapo amps last yearand now have to try and get rid of them. The total cost for four of these is less than $200, but even if I try seling them at the price I paid I cant! Anyone in a similar situation?

Thank goodness i have never had amp GAS. I was thinking about purging some pedals that i have laying around, but i just can't get myself to do it! Maybe i really don't want to get rid of them that bad!

Hope you guys are playing well!

Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:44 am

Yes my wife is a better cook than my Mom. My Moms feeling was that if it was smoking, it was cooking and if it was on fire then it was done. She could turn a roast into a hockey puck. I had 9 brothers and sisters and I never grasped the concept of shrinking food. Bless her!

My Mom loved my wife's cooking. She lived with us for over 20 years and every night it was like she was eating the greatest thing ever cooked and she would let everyone know.

My wife cooked chili over night in the crock pot and thats whats for lunch here in frigid northern Illinois, USA.

Good week,

y2kc

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:44 am

Glad to hear those buskers are getting some nasty weather :lol:

No lunch yet here, it's only 9am but I've been at work for about 3hrs already, just finished some trail mix and I have a few clementines to hold me over until lunch time.

My wife is not much of a cook at all, I do 95% of the cooking but I'm ok with that I actually enjoy cooking, it's the cleaning up afterwards that sucks. My Mom was a good cook and I credit her for my current abilities, her mother not so much but my grandfather was a chef/restaurant owner. My Dad's mother was a fantastic cook and one of my aunt's inherited her talent, I always enjoy holidays at her house and try to learn, when I can, from her.

The only purging I need to do is with speakers, I have a 15, (2) 12's, (2) 10's, and an 8 all without homes. In addition I have (2) 10's in my amp and another 15" in a separate cab. :shocked028:

Have a good one!
-Dave

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:19 pm

CGT - I have a Peavey Rage too, IMO its a fantastic little amp for quiet rehearsals.

Sprinter - Of Norwegian food I know absolutely nothing. Is it similar to other northern Europen places?

Scott - Sounds like you're spoiled for choice. Lucky guy!

y2kc -the thought of that chili is making me salivate.

Dave - Same story at my place, I'm the cook because I genuinely enjoy it. Over the years I've had a lot of fun getting certain everyday recipes to a point where I'd enter them into a competition if there was one.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:46 pm

Hey Blarg -

Hang in there with the brutal heat... Crikey, think if I hop over to OZ it will be in the winter... Don't get me wrong, I Love the Sun n all but I don't know how you guys cope...
Sunny CoCal has NOthin on the SOuthern Hemisphere... totally diff story down here. :oops:

My former girlfriend is a Fab cook and she digs cooking so I had it really good in that dept. Same story goes re my Mum - don't know bout Nana.

Re Purging - Yeah, its easy to accumulate stuff.... I'm in a clean out mode at the mo so much of the cheaper stuff I have I'm donating....

Good Luck to you on your gigs!

KF

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:36 pm

Jamie, you are on the home stretch so that give you reason to celebrate tonight.

It is supposed to get down to 17 below zero tonight but I would rather have that than excessive heat any day. A little rain may cool it off a bit.

My mother was a great cook as was my grandmother on my fathers side. She had to feed nine kids. Ginny is a great cook but I do a lot of cooking here because she still is working in her business. Works for me as I always get what I like. I am a meat and potatoes guy but it is usually pork/chicken and seldom beef. I had leftover pizza tonight and it was great.

I have gear I should sell, mainly extra bass amps and a cabinet or two. I find it easy to buy and impossible to sell. The front of my garage is full of band gear and recording equipment. The cats love the bass cabinets as I have towels on them and they are cat beds when they are not being used. I am going to get rid of some gear come spring. I happened to see a Big Ben cabinet (18 In) on CL yesterday, but I don't have room for it.

Enjoy the time you and left at this extravaganza and it will be "On The Road" again to get home! Don't forget to tell the GF you missed her!!!!!-- Darwin

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:59 pm

Hi Jamie,

You're on the home stretch now and seem to be doing OK for someone who is sleep deprived, noodle deprived and being hammered with country music 'culture'. At least your humour is still intact. Isn't it? :lolno: BTW, it's a million degrees here today, so you're not missing anything.

My maternal grandmother was a fantastic cook, but passed on none of her skills to my mother. Mum will cheerfully admit that she is a very ordinary cook and packet meals are her best friend. I never realised til I left home that vegetables have flavour and colour when cooked properly, and that meat can melt in your mouth.

My mother in law is also a fantastic cook but passed on none of her skills to my wife. :roll: My wife is not a natural in the kitchen, and has delivered her fair share of disasters, sometimes at dinner parties, but I admire her commitment to improvement and for trying new things. I enjoy cooking and think I do a pretty decent job, especially when improvisation is called for. I'm trained in Chemistry and cooking is surprisingly similar in theory and execution. Once you understand how different culinary techniques affect the food it's easier to get experimental and make changes to your liking.

I don't have amp GAS and have only 3, but I need to thin out my guitars. I love them all but don't get time to play them hese days, so some have gotta go. I have 6 S-type guitars and my '95 S-500 and two 80's Japanese Fender strats will probably be on the block soon. That will be a sad, sad day.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:21 pm

My wife's cooking? I saw her wrapping up the last couple of chocolate chip cookie bars earlier tonight, but when just I went looking for them all I could find were a couple of leftover brownies and some sort of Reeses Peanut Butter Cup bread she made over the weekend. She feels the same way about cooking as I do about music, only she's a lot better at it. Baking is her hobby. When she and my sons went off for a month with her folks last summer, I lost 15 pounds without really trying. It didn't take long to put it back on after she got home.

My mother's cooking is very much like what Tim described. My wife's grandmother is the best cook I've ever known. She grew up in the Maine woods, and spent much of her life on the verge of poverty with a lot of mouths to feed. She was still growing all of her own vegetables last year (in her late 80s), baking her own bread, and canning or preserving fruits and vegetables for the winter. Nothing from a supermarket or restaurant will ever match that for me.

I can't bring myself to part with guitars, basses or amps. All of the guitars and basses I have now is either G&L (mostly hard to find Leo-era models) or has sentimental value. They are coming in at a much slower rate now compared to a year ago. I don't get amp GAS, but somehow I've ended up with eight amps and one extension cab. Two amps and the cab are for the upright, so I don't really count them in with the guitar stuff. I have way too many pedals that have accumulated over the years. I will probably end up using some of the amps that are collecting dust and some of the less-used pedals as trade fodder, but I haven't been proactive about it so far.

Ken

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:30 pm

Kf - you're spot on about the heat in the Southern hemisphere, that hole in the ozone layer is a bi#ch. God idea with the donating, I might just do that too.

Phil - its all pasty white people in pastel checked shirts up here!

Darwin + the gr knows that I am kissing her, that'd be s rookie mistake!

Ken - I'm glad nobody in my house can bake cakes. Is be as big as a house if there were cakes around all the time

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:19 am

i am not familiar with my wives cooking. they cook for their husbands. my grandma and my mom were great cooks, but i haven't had their stuff for 25 years. 2 of my jewish clients are great cooks, and i usually go to their places on holidays. one of them makes me dishes from recipes my mom sends. some of my ex girlfriends were great at cooking healthy foods when i was getting ready to compete.

after i get my new amp, i will probably sell at least 4 or 5 of mine. i will keep the 57 tweed deluxe, the 67 reverberocket and the ceriatone ods, and sell the rest. i have a few guitars that i don't play much, but they are also not worth much. i will probably get rid of my epi 335, but that's about it. i am thinking about thinning out some of the pedals, but have a hard time deciding which one to let go. i have a lot of one of a kind or rear pedals that i don't use right now, but i am very attached. i will probably sell one ep booster by xotic, an hbe uno mos, my dod compressor, a dynamic wah, my dynacomp, a korg dt 10 and a polytune tuner, a carbon copy delay, lovepedal cot red, and a fulldrive 2 mosfet. also a volume pedal and a vibe pedal. i may sell one of my bixonic expandora pedals.

i am definitely keeping the valveboy, the hbe powerscreamer limited edition #29 of 50, the perpetual motion ds1 mod #2 serial. my pedals by tone #7 serial. it will leave me with about 40 pedals left.