Tuesday - Home please!

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:36 am

Well that didn’t take long. I’m sick of this place already. The main street is just white noise – wherever you stand you can hear four people busking. And it’s not just acoustic. These people have PAs and/or (*shudder*) backing tracks. Some of them are yodelling, they make the most racket. Only 5 more days! Would you perform, be it busking or a paid gig, with a backing track and no instrument at all?

Lunch today was some instant noodles. It was terrible and I can still taste them.

Another thing I don’t like about this festival is that being essentially a trade show, there are many people around who are looking to rip the not-so-savvy off for all they’re worth – people offering to chart songs, prepare (*shudder*) backing tracks, promote, produce…. So much of the stuff these sharks produce is <censored word> yet they charge top dollar for it. There exists a country music academy here who take on students with th aim of making them professional performers. From what I can tell they teach these kids – many of who seem to have those horrible parents who force the life they wanted for themselves on their kids – nothing. We’ve worked with them on several occasions and it’s a miracle if they turn up with a guitar lead. I think that in essence it’s a hair and make-up academy as they always have plenty of that. One thing I’ll give them is that they are very easy on the eyes.
Gripes aside I actually had a pretty damn fun night. I caught up with a friend from Melbourne and met a few people he knows and heard some great stories involving a record producer, a young starlet, a mixing desk and a very surprised wife! Also drank many beers and saw some fantastic music.

I wish I had a better internet connection as I’d love to share some of the sound clips and photos I’ve taken. Sorry guys, I thought internet service would be faster!

The G&L count remains at zero. Plenty of F&Gs however!

Its now 2.30am and the other guys are sound asleep. I can tell because its like a snoring competition in here. Do you snore? If so, is it such an issue that it’s a problem?

Good night all!

Re: Tuesday - Home please!

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:11 am

Would you perform, be it busking or a paid gig, with a backing track and no instrument at all? Kinda like karaoke? Yep. Pass the mic!
I used to be secretary of our church choir, so I'm OK singing solo acapella in front of an audience sober, but usually karaoke happens after a few beers. :BadIdea:

Lunch was another tin of the Thai curry soup I like so much. I'm quite happy for the taste to hang around for hours, but I try not to burp too close to a client. :happy0007:

Do you snore? If so, is it such an issue that it’s a problem? No one who's ever slept in the same bed or room as me has ever commented on it. Maybe they are just too polite... I've had someone sleep in the room next to me who said I sounded like a rhino with flu.

I'm enjoying your LR/festival commentary.
Hope the eye candy makes up for the yodellers! Hope to hear some of your sound clips when you have good internet. Preferably not of the yodellers though....
Sleep well. :zzz:

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:00 am

Jamie, reality is sometimes a rude awakening but many of the events that I have attended have been just what you are describing. No, I would not perform without our band! This thing reminds me of going to the Sturgis bike week. We quit going several years ago as we would be sick of it after an hour in Sturgis. It was good people watching but the noise from motorcycles (mostly Harleys) was deafening. You could see every type of individual that existed and some of them were not good. The ladies loved to show it all, (I could see that!). The upside is the chance to party with friends and I wouldn't miss one of those.

Do I snore???? No more, I use a Cpap and it is magic. Have had one for 17 years, about 30,000 hours of great sleep. The secret for you this week is to drink more beer, earlier, and pass out before the bandmates hit the sheets-- :mrgreen: Darwin

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:02 pm

Oh, me... doesn't sound like fun where you are. A few G&Ls would liven up the place. I used to NEVER sing, but going to the Michigan Jam for the last 9 years got me comfortable playing with a group, then finally singing. Not good at it, mind you, but I will do it if required & there's no competition going on. I wouldnn't do it with tracks, but I did do one karaoke just once, because my wife dared me to. Hey, if there's enough beer being consumed in the house, I'll give 'er a go. If I AM going to sing, like at the Michigan Jam, I never have more than ONE beer before. With only one beer, I risk forgetting the tune or some of the words. With more than one, I risk not being able to even read the words.... LOL!

Snore? Yep. But the wife is such a sound sleeper, she doesn't hear it usually.

You're gonna get thru this. Hang in there. One of my fave ole guits is a 1987 yellow SC-3 that came from Aussieland. About played to death by its owner, but he left a little mojo left in there for me.

Jay

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:15 pm

I'm really enjoying the reports this week, Jamie!

blargfromouterspace wrote:Would you perform, be it busking or a paid gig, with a backing track and no instrument at all?

Doesn't that sum up about 95% of popular music these days?

I used to play a lot of festival-type events in a duo with a percussionist. Anytime another performer used a backing track, he'd roll his eyes and mutter "f***ing Memorex". That pretty much summed up my opinion too. When the weather is decent a busker usually sets up in front of the building I work in. He plays an alto sax, but blares some of the cheesiest backing tracks I've ever heard through a Marshall combo that could easily handle a small rock gig. It's painful.

blargfromouterspace wrote:Do you snore? If so, is it such an issue that it’s a problem?

I've been told that I snore when my weight gets up there or my allergies get bad. I can sleep through it, so it can't be that bad!

Ken

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:37 pm

Goat -Karaoke is a different thing entirely. I'm talking about a gig that you have been booked for.

Darwin - we went to the local motorcycle museum today. Wow. Lots of nice old Ducati's, Notons, BSAs etc. I think I'll be buying a Triumph Bonneville or Scrambler when I finish uni. More beer sounds like a good idea too!

Jay - nice to see you about here again! I'm pretty bad with lyrics too, even with the songs I write myself!

Ken - you're spot on about the backing tracks.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:57 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:Goat -Karaoke is a different thing entirely. I'm talking about a gig that you have been booked for.

It would feel like cheating to use backing tracks for a paid gig. One of my friends is a wedding singer; he always works to backing tracks for weddings when people ask for all sorts of stuff that it would be impractical to ask a band to learn for a one off performance. But when he's booked for parties/barn dances etc. where he's able to choose the music, he has a proper band. Bands create atmosphere; backing tracks create noise. ;)

Fri May 03, 2013 11:46 am

Lmao at the academy mate :happy0007: no comment ..
As for a karaoke deal I'd feel like a bandit charging for it (some dont however!) but say after a few beers & the mics bein passed round like a hat amongst friends in a social setting what the heck :lol: you'll probably hear me snore not long after though if I'm drunk enough to wanna sing! :lol:
The country industry in oz severely lacks depth unfortuneatly especially if youre comparing it to our american brethrens counterpart.kieth urban seen the signs from pluto regrading musical growth,he couldn't get over the US fast enough.i hasten to add though the cream of the crop are as good as any in the world.just too few & far between..