Lunch Report- Friday 1-18 G&L Ramblings

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:46 am

I had a big bowl of Chicken Noodle soup and it will carry me until we go to Big Louies later!

I had some cleanup to do and decided to make it into a lunch report. First of all, I had been trying to figure out the color of my Asat Z3 this week and had committed to posting some pictures in natural light. Before I get into that I have to say that G&L has some of the most beautiful bursts on the planet. They offer many different burst colors and the old 3T Sunburst has been around for years and had always been a favorite for many. Here are examples of a variation of the brown bursts. The first picture is of three Asats, the Classic S (L) 3t Sunburst, Middle- Z-3, I believe in 3 T Tobaccoburst and Right, the Alnico Launch Edition which is an Autumn Burst only on this edition. It is my favorite of the three and for a guy who is hung up on Red, I really like these bursts.

Here are the Classic S and the Z-3

And the Autumn Burst

G&L, in my opinion, has been innovative in their use of woods and colors. Leo had some great ideas that some may not have noticed. The G&L tuners made by Schaller have a specially tapered post to lower the string to apply pressure on the nut. This is also true for the bass tuners. The guitar sizes are different from Fenders. It turns out that my F-100 is the longest, followed by the SC-2 and the Asat and Legacy as the shortest. It does present a challenge in those looking for aftermarket cases but I have to believe that Leo had a reason. Others have mentioned the pickup locations, especially on the L-2500 bass. The top humbucker is closer to the bridge than on most other brands. I believe that he found the sweet spot. The saddle lock bridge I believe is a well thought out design. What other things have you noticed?

Yesterday I looked at a Legacy Equatorial Mahogany that was a high gloss finish. It is the only one that was built in gloss. I would have loved to taken it home but I have other priorities at the moment. It is stunning, a bit darker than the satin models. They don't make it easy on guys like us. What do you all think?? :shocked028: :shocked028: -- Darwin

Re: Lunch Report- Friday 1-18 G&L Ramblings

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:16 pm

Wow Darwin! That Autumn Burst is fantastic :luv: Most pictures I have seen do not do it justice

Just a quick stop in today, I've been running around at work all week not much time at ye 'ol desk

also wanted to add the saddle lock is my favorite bridge on any guitar, excellent design!

Thanks for jumping in!

-Dave

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:25 pm

Nice looking guitars Darwin. Here are my bursts, only the SC-2 was taken in natural light.

Count me as a big Leo fan. The next G&L will definitely have a saddle lock bridge, ASAT special me thinks.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:38 pm

G&L do sunburst better than anyone, and tobacco burst is my fave. Put some binding and a cream pick guard and you've got what would have to be one of the classiest finishes going. Nice one Darwin!

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:23 pm

Great stuff! I don't know why I'm still on the fence regarding the Launch Edition. maybe it's due to no MFD's. Your pics are selling me!!! I may pull the trigger on one next week...

Cheers,

Will

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:13 pm

Nice pics there Darwin.

I was never a fan of Tobacco burst. Somehow it never appealed to me.
The Autumn burst looks like pumpkin pie. And I do love pumpkin pie.

One thing we have no discussed here on the board, that I know of. Giving our guitars a tan.
Have them in a room, catching sun rays. The Satin neck will turn into looking like a "vintage" finish.

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:00 am

Thanks everyone for checking in. I have one more comment on the G&L sunbursts. It is interesting to see the variations in the bursts depending on the painter. Some have a narrow dark band and some have much more of the dark band. It must take a bit of practice to do these where you can do it with some consistency in the pattern. I almost prefer a 2 T burst which the Autumn Burst on the Launce Edition is. Have a great weekend everyone. It was 41 degrees here yesterday heading for a high of -2 on Monday, good weather to hunker in and work on guitars!-- Darwin