Thursday 17th January - G&L or amp...

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:53 am

I've been at a friend's funeral today, so lunch was a huge assortment of sandwiches and cake afterwards. It was a great funeral, so many happy memories from folk!

G&L Question of the day: I have seen a G&L F-100, black (not my fave colour) in apparently fairly good condition. It's listed as Series 1 1980, although from the 'not great' pics it looks to have later pole pieces, not slotted.
I'm sorely tempted. But I also need a tube amp, as I'm down to just solid state practice amps at the moment and missing the tone!

I have guitars that fulfill all my requirements, so don't really need another, but I don't see many early F-100's in the UK. On the other hand, I do need an amp, but they are plentifully available!

Question: Where would you put your money in that situation?

Non G&L Topic of the day: What 'wastes' most time in your life? I don't watch TV, but spend far too much time on the internet researching things I don't really need to know!

Re: Thursday 17th January - G&L or amp...

Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:59 am

Condolences to you and yours. I'd check out the guitar. Amps are everywhere...

Cheers,

Will

Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:28 am

I'm glad your friend was remembered so fondly.

Check out the guitar. The amp can wait.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:37 am

Goat, sorry about the friend but it is great that it was a celebration.

I would check out the guitar very carefully, making sure the neck and truss rod are good. If you lose a neck on a G&L, replacements are very difficult to come by and a new truss rod is expensive.

Lunch is unknown yet but it will do the job, whatever it turns out to be!-- Darwin

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:00 pm

Goat wrote:I've been at a friend's funeral today, so lunch was a huge assortment of sandwiches and cake afterwards. It was a great funeral, so many happy memories from folk!

G&L Question of the day: I have seen a G&L F-100, black (not my fave colour) in apparently fairly good condition. It's listed as Series 1 1980, although from the 'not great' pics it looks to have later pole pieces, not slotted.
I'm sorely tempted. But I also need a tube amp, as I'm down to just solid state practice amps at the moment and missing the tone!

I have guitars that fulfill all my requirements, so don't really need another, but I don't see many early F-100's in the UK. On the other hand, I do need an amp, but they are plentifully available!

Question: Where would you put your money in that situation?

Non G&L Topic of the day: What 'wastes' most time in your life? I don't watch TV, but spend far too much time on the internet researching things I don't really need to know!

Sir,

I also attended a friends funeral earlier this week. Mr. Daniel McCarthy, an Irish brother of mine here in the USA.

I chose buying G&L guitars over amps. Leo has come and gone just like sweet Danny and there will never be another like him. I have more than my share of Leo made guitars ( I have many more than my share) and will be buying them until my day comes. I have many good amps and many more great G&l guitars.

Amps are everywhere, Guitars made under the control of George and Leo , as time goes by, will be harder to find and more expensive to buy. Amps will always be plentiful.

Live and live well !

Take care,

y2kc

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:59 pm

Thanks guys - for the condolences, good wishes, and the 'amps are everywhere' - which is the response I expected - life is always more fun when the heart rules the head just a little. :) :)

Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:19 pm

Sorry about your loss. Glad it was a celebration after all, funerals are for the living, not for the departed, and when my time comes I want it to be a party as well, except with sushi instead of sandwiches (given my friends' predilections.)

I'm going to be a contrarian and say, go for an amp. After years of playing solid state and emulators, I've recently grabbed an Epiphone Valve Jr. and am now looking at taking my vintage Traynor to be recapped and retubed. There was something missing from my playing at the way a tube amp renders dynamics are so much different, and I'd stayed away because at 15W the Traynor was just too loud, but the 5W Epi was quite the revelation. Sure, do check out the F-100 but don't pick it up just because it's old, pick it up because you love it. Remember it's not vintage because it's old. It's vintage because it's old AND it rocks your world.

Internet is definitely a time sink but these days, my primary time waster is comic books. I got an iPad in the fall and it is comic book heaven, but at the same time, all this reading has inspired me to use storyboard for my work and has made my life a heckuva lot easier. So I guess it doesn't really qualify as a time sink.

Lunch was tuna salad.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:49 pm

i would go with the amp, you already have guitars. looks like i am going to be getting my amp, a two rock custom reverb signature v3 50 watt combo. not cheap, but i think i'll be able to sell at least 5 or 6 of my amps.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:40 pm

Goat,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. My condolences.

And a tough choice. I would go for the guitar but mainly due to your geographic location. Here in the US, early '80 F-100's appear often enough on daBay so I would be worried about an opportunity to score one here. Brittain/Europe is a whole different ball game. So I'd round upthe guitar and safe a little longer for a good amp.

I don't waste a lot of my time. At least that's what I try myself tio believe ;) But you are right that you can find yourself having spent hours behind the computer and wondering where the heck the time went.

- Jos

Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:26 pm

i had a funeral last week, one of my cats passed away. he was at the vet for a relatively small injury, (self inflicted, got his tail caught and panicked and hurt himself) receiving some iv fluids and he threw a blood clot. he was only 6 years old.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:22 am

Sorry to hear that louis. Horrible when they are young and full of life one day, then buried not long after.
I lost a cat in its prime years when it was hit by a car. It's brother went on to live much longer and died last year.
I don't think 'my' current cat has very long to go - it's really the neighbours cat but they got divorced and the cat was being neglected, so I adopted it for them. It's 16 years old and lame. I remember it as a kitten, full of life. Now it just wants a warm place to sleep all day.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:43 am

Louis, sorry to hear about you kitty. We almost lost Sam last summer but he recovered. Although Ginny thinks he is a bit goofy, I think he is just fine.-- Darwin

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:29 pm

louis cyfer wrote:....looks like i am going to be getting my amp, a two rock custom reverb signature v3 50 watt combo. not cheap, but i think i'll be able to sell at least 5 or 6 of my amps.

Just seen the price of those... :crazy: :D Hope you post some sound samples for me to drool over when you get it!

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:38 pm

The two rock custom reverb signature v3 50 watt is great. I like the thicker cab wood too. Here's my "signature":

Cheers,

Will

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:44 pm

Goat wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:....looks like i am going to be getting my amp, a two rock custom reverb signature v3 50 watt combo. not cheap, but i think i'll be able to sell at least 5 or 6 of my amps.

Just seen the price of those... :crazy: :D Hope you post some sound samples for me to drool over when you get it!

will do. btw, i am getting very lucky, it is not gonna cost anything to me, a late festivus present from a client.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:48 pm

What kind of business are you in that has clients giving you such generous presents? ;-)

Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:21 am

CGT wrote:What kind of business are you in that has clients giving you such generous presents? ;-)

i inflict pain on people, order them around, make them suffer and make them do things they otherwise would be unwilling to do. i love my job. people pay me to be their boss essentially. not unlike a dominatrix, however i don't have to wear crazy outfits or maintain a dungeon. i do use a whip at times, other times yell at and belittle clients. just depends on what approach individuals require. i couldn't even imagine traditional work, where you are paid to be told what to do. that does not work for me.

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:35 am

louis cyfer wrote:will do. btw, i am getting very lucky, it is not gonna cost anything to me, a late festivus present from a client.

Good that your clients value your beastings so highly! :D