Late Lunch Report for Monday Jan 14, 2013 (East Coast, USA)

Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:38 pm

Well, we need SOMETHING here, so a moron steps forward....

Lunch: A McDonald's Egg McMuffin. I picked two up while running errands this morning. There's a McSpecial going on now locally: Two Egg McMuffins for three dollars. Woo hoo! I got two and had one for breakfast, and one for lunch. I added an extra slice of smoked ham to each, and had orange juice to wash them down.

Quickie G&L Question: Imagine your favorite G&L guitar in hand. Is there anything at all you would change about it (the neck shape or radius, the nut, the pickups, bridge, wood, finish - whatever!). Discuss. And what makes your favorite your favorite? Is it darn near perfect as is?

Non G&L Question: Is there a band you discovered in their (and your) youth that you're disappointed insofar as they did not become bigger or more widely-appreciated? Feel free to post photos, videos, biographies, etc.

In the late 1970's I was floored by "Crack the Sky" - a Baltimore Maryland band. I still love their stuff, and they still tour on and off. I may see them again in a few weeks in Annapolis....

Finally, what are you doing tonight? My wife is out of town on business for a few days - which is very unusual. I have two boys 9 and 11 here, and a couple of parents with memory issues to look after, pretty much by myself right now. So it's vodka straight up, chased with Powerade. Bully! - ed

Re: Late Lunch Report for Monday Jan 14, 2013 (East Coast, U

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:16 pm

zapcosongs wrote:

In the late 1970's I was floored by "Crack the Sky" - a Baltimore Maryland band.

I've heard of Crack the sky but will have to peruse some vids tonight.

zapcosongs wrote: Finally, what are you doing tonight? My wife is out of town on business for a few days - which is very unusual. I have two boys 9 and 11 here, and a couple of parents with memory issues to look after, pretty much by myself right now. So it's vodka straight up, chased with Powerade. Bully! - ed

I'm watching this right now...it's been a few years, if you don't watch the whole thing at least skip to the last 15 seconds.
[youtube]_CYwNWHZuT0[/youtube]

other than that I'll be polishing some G&L's, playing some polished G&L's :thumbup: ....and selling some non G&L gear since I bought a that L-2000 and it wasn't really in the budget.
It is now...LOL.
Oh yeah...I've been swapping some tubes in my GT preamp...I'm still learning and it's sounding good most the time :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks for keeping the torch burnin'
Elwood

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:40 pm

G&L neck imagining - I wish it had a satin finish.

Tonight is rehearsal with the soul band for a gig in Thursday night. Its in a bar belonging to the friend of the drummer which is closed this evening. The beer fridge is, however, open! Rehearsal with the other band tomorrow for Saturday night. A week busy with music is the best kind of week!

Elwood - Its been years since I've heard or even thought about that song! When it came out I was a kid still and could sing every single word of it. Thanks for the memories!

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:59 pm

Hi Ed. Thanks for the late rescue.

My favourite G&L is currently the white Legacy in my avatar. It ticks all the right boxes: light, resonant, perfect neck shape for me, stays in tune, looks cool etc. My only quibble is that the bridge pickup is a little underpowered compared to the others. I may change it one day when I'm less apathetic.

Elwood, I just read the Wikipedia entry for Green Jello. Now those guys have led an interesting life!

Tonight I'll be having dinner out the back of my house in the sun with my wife and kids, and hopefully a couple of cold ones to wash it all down. Then I'll put the kids to bed and sneak down to the cellar for some quality geetar time. Doesn't get much wilder than that. :lol:

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:23 pm

i'd really want a contoured neck heel and a contoured cutaway on the asat. the biggest faults that g&l's have, that those options are not available.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:44 am

zapcosongs wrote:
Quickie G&L Question: Imagine your favorite G&L guitar in hand. Is there anything at all you would change about it (the neck shape or radius, the nut, the pickups, bridge, wood, finish - whatever!). Discuss. And what makes your favorite your favorite? Is it darn near perfect as is?

My current favorite G&L's are a '93 Asat Classic and a '96 Asat Deluxe. I wish both guitars had bigger necks.

zapcosongs wrote:
Non G&L Question: Is there a band you discovered in their (and your) youth that you're disappointed insofar as they did not become bigger or more widely-appreciated?

Steve, Bob & Rich from Kansas City are a great band. When they got their record deal 20 or so years ago they changed the band name to "The Rain Makers". They still play some and are still good.

zapcosongs wrote:
Finally, what are you doing tonight?

I spent the evening searching for a rattling tube in my Top Hat, Club Royale amp. My guitar of choice for the evening was a '91 Ibanez, RG-570.

Thanks for stepping up and posting a Lunch Report, Ed!

Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:44 am

zapcosongs wrote:So it's vodka straight up, chased with Powerade. Bully! - ed

--I wouldn't make a long term habit out of booze+sports drinks. I used to work with an ex soccer star who would spike his Gatorade. I can still remember him screaming as he'd pass stones. It sounded excruciating.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:09 am

Thanks for jumping in yesterday Ed, I was out on the road for work all day but better late than never I always say!

Change my #1? I like the color well enough but every once and a while I wish it had a nice transparent finish, I like to see the grain. That and maybe 1 lb lighter, it's only around 8 lbs but if we're being picky here :mrgreen:

I'm pretty sure I missed lunch yesterday, picked on some trail mix and stopped at a friend's house for an afternoon tea.

Have a good one!
-Dave

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:41 am

Ed, thanks for picking up yesterday.

I had lunch with our youngest granddaughter. Macaroni and cheese it was.

It would be hard to pick a number 1 and I have to say there isn't anything much that I would change. I think Louis' suggestion has merit and it wouldn't be a major cost, just some design work. The new woods and finishes they are using keep things pretty interesting.

I didn't listen to much in the 70's and even less when disco hit. That brings me back to the 50's and 60's. I can't seem to leave it! -- Darwin

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:00 pm

Howdy Ed,

Thanks for picking up the LR.

zapcosongs wrote:Quickie G&L Question: Imagine your favorite G&L guitar in hand. Is there anything at all you would change about it (the neck shape or radius, the nut, the pickups, bridge, wood, finish - whatever!). Discuss. And what makes your favorite your favorite? Is it darn near perfect as is?

Well ... Why would it be my favorite G&L then? ;)

zapcosongs wrote:Non G&L Question: Is there a band you discovered in their (and your) youth that you're disappointed insofar as they did not become bigger or more widely-appreciated? Feel free to post photos, videos, biographies, etc.

Glad you ask ed. For me without a doubt it would be the Comsat Angels. From the time I heard them first, they always have had a special place in my heart. They also happen to take a prominent place in the whole courtship ritual to capture a wonderful spiffy young girl who happens to be my wife right now. One of the best concerts I ever had the pleasure to attend: The Comsat Angels in De Koog in Noord Scharwoude, The Netherlands. Here's a vid of the tune that absolute bowled me over:
[youtube]SpIVZVjSuJo[/youtube]

- Jos