Thursday 10th January 2013 – Lunch Report

Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:30 am

Thursdays I get out of my clinic and out on the road, doing ‘theological things’ – I was preaching in Castleford today. So lunch is always a takeout from somewhere.

Lunch: Subway! Italian Spicy - (Footlong of course! - joke for those following the latter parts of Tuesday’s LR)….

G&L Topic of the Day: …Naff Names!?! (I’m keeping with the ‘under the radar’ theme).
"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" is a commonly quoted part of a dialogue in William Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet, in which Juliet argues that the names of things do not matter, only what things are.

Well obviously Juliet was not involved in marketing! (Although if she was leaning over the balcony, her ‘assets’ may have suggested otherwise… Romeo bought into her :cute467: ).

So if you want something to attain a market position, names benefit from being memorable and uniquely identifiable. Made up words like ‘Telecaster’ and ‘Stratocaster’, which have pizzzzzzaaaazzzz are both memorable and unique.
Maybe it’s just me, but ‘Comanche’, ‘Invader’, ‘Legacy’ and ‘Rampage’ sound like a new range of Ford all-terrain-vehicles. Although I can see where ‘Legacy’ came from and it’s good for purpose.

‘ASAT’, ‘F-100’, ‘S-500’, ‘SC-2’ are… well, I know the S 500 is a big Mercedes, but I think the rest are washing machines or microwaves. Oooops… think I just offended lots of folk in one go, hehehe, but you can see where I’m coming from??

I think some of the names given to effects pedals are creative and fun. Memorable too. OK, so we all know what a TS9 is despite its boring name, but who calls it a TS9? To me it’s a ‘tubescreamer!!!’ :P Maybe the effects guys should get to name guitars!

I’d be lousy at the creative side of marketing; I’ve been trying to think of a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious name for a guitar for ages and come up with nothing….

Question: Do you like the current model names, or are they a bit ‘vanilla’? What name would you like to see on a G&L guitar?

Non-G&L Topic of the day: Other instruments! I play the bagpipes. :shocked003: In fact I play the bagpipes nearly as badly as I play the guitar. Do you play other instruments? Is the guitar your primary instrument?

One more LR to go. It’s been a nice way to get to know you guys.

Re: Thursday 10th January 2013 – Lunch Report

Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:12 am

Good Day to you Goat!

I've been out on the road all morning for work and it looks like it may be that way for the next coming week or so. I didn't really have a defined lunch, I had a second breakfast and then some snacks. Second breakfast was a spinach/mushroom/onion omelet. Followed by some nuts and then my most lunch like item was a cup of wonton soup. I've been up since 4:30am so even though the cup of soup was technically at lunch time it's near the end of my day.

As far as names go, I think Legacy is a good fit, and I'm very used to the other names by now so it doesn't bother me. But now that you mention it they could have been a bit more sparkly. Gibson is guilty of the same though (es-335 etc.). I've been sitting here trying to think of better names and can't seem to come up with anything that doesn't sound cheesy.

I've tried to play the harmonica with mixed results, also would really like to learn piano and banjo. But as of right now the only instrument I can actually play (relatively speaking) is the guitar :lol:

Have a good one!
-Dave

Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:40 am

Lunch today will probably be a frozen pizza ( creative I know )

I don't really mind the names, I mean they have to be called something right? I never have liked the font G&L uses for the "named" guitars. Gibson and Fender are both guilty of the car names as well ,Firebird, Thunderbird and Jaguar come to mind.

The only other instrument I play is the bass. I would like to learn piano as well. Ah to have more time.....

Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:45 am

Hi Dave!

I enjoy wonton soup. Which reminds me; I haven't had it for ages. Come to think of it, I could do to add some spinach to my diet too. I like it almost as much as Popeye! :)
Perhaps tomorrows lunch report will see me making an omelet!

Yes glvourot, more time would equal far more playing time. For now all forms of music have to just be relaxation/hobby when I can fit it in. But even if I won the lottery, I wouldn't change my life much. I would get more sleep though! :)

Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:25 pm

Goat wrote:
Lunch: Subway! Italian Spicy - (Footlong of course! - joke for those following the latter parts of Tuesday’s LR)…. .

We had Subway recently and my wife seemed quite happy and satisfied with the six-incher. :lol:

Sad sad sad sad
I played the piano as a lad.

- ed

Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:31 pm

Goat wrote:
Lunch: Subway! Italian Spicy - (Footlong of course! - joke for those following the latter parts of Tuesday’s LR)….

Hello Goat, another great day of LR! If the Italians are like anything like the Italian Americans i know, they'd all want to you to believe they are all a footlong, LMAO!

Lunch: Left over Cheese and Sausage Pizza.

G&L Things: Remember Leo was an engineer- alpha numeric designations were more congruent with his through process. He did try to reclaim "Broadcaster" but some wanker 80's band sued him because their band was named that (likely after the original guitar that became Telecaster). That is why the most recent new offerings are named: Ascari GTS, Ascari GT-90 and Fiorano the current owners have a thing for Ferrari's. The newest G&L to be debuted at this year's NAMM is likely to be called the Fallout.

NON-G&L Things: I love the bag pipes and have heard they are effective, but have never attempted to repel would be assailants with them. Instead I have a two-handed Scottish Claymore (for home defense but the low ceilings prove troublesome at times). As for other instruments, nope. One to master is enough, but it itself is a "theological thing" since I play mostly in worship services and write spiritually relevant blues songs. Everyone else in my household is a piano player.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:43 pm

I always thought ASAT was a strange thing to call a guitar. And of course, the F-100 is a car too, one which I enjoy seeing more than any other at hot-rod shows.

Anyway, I'm with Juliet, names don't really matter. However, I wouldn't name a child Adolf.

This product has a memorable name

Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:28 pm

See that would be an awesome name for a guitar, blarg. Loads of folk would buy it just so they could say they gigged thier Monsterpiece Angry Dick in front of 2000 people, then enjoyed a few fine craft-brewed ales to celebrate! :)

Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:30 pm

JagInTheBag wrote: One to master is enough.....

Thanks Jag. That just gave me tomorrow's non-G&L question. :?: :think:

Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:56 pm

Goat, we just finished dinner, thick pork loin chops with porketta seasoning and veggies cooked with the pork. Very tasty.

Guitar names do not mean much as I am used to the G&L names so they seem normal to me. I thought they were weird names when I first heard them but it didn't take long to get used to them.

I play bass and regular guitar. In 1960, while working on a music major, we had to learn most instruments, not well, but enough to teach students in school. I played many reed instrument but never got into brass. I haven't played any of them since. I am happy with guitars but I have thought about picking up a mandolin again. It has been years so I will probably pass on that also. Fun reports this week and you only have one more day! They do take time to prepare. Thanks for the fun this week.-- Darwin :happy0065:

Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:04 pm

Regarding early G&L naming, they are based upon military names, see this post: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6592.

:ugeek:

Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:56 pm

ASAT: A Second Attempt at Telecaster?

ASAT: A Superior Alternative to Telecaster?

Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:08 pm

ASAT: A Sweet-Ass Tele! - ed

Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:16 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:
This product has a memorable name

Hahahahaha :lol: is this a tribby model of a tube screamer ? :D

Really enjoyed your lunch reports goat,thanks heaps mate.cheers (_)]