Wednesday 9th January 2013 – Lunch Report - Sonic Identity!

Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:22 am

Lunch: thon mayonnaise avec des pâtes… Yes… that’s tuna mayonnaise on pasta! The sweet chilli sauce gets mixed in too. I use that stuff like most folk use tomato ketchup/catsup. :)

G&L Topic of the Day: Sonic Identity! Well my friend George’s question about my G&L ASAT Deluxe got me thinking! :think:
He asked: “does it ‘twang’ like a Tele or ‘quack’ like a Strat?”
(Perhaps this fits with ‘why are G&L so far under the radar?’)

I guess we all have a defined sound in mind when someone mentions certain guitars. We know what a Tele ‘sounds’ like, or a Strat. Maybe it’s from our own playing experiences, or maybe from a favourite artist who uses that guitar – obviously Hank Marvin does not sound like Jimi Hendrix!

If someone says Gibson Les Paul to me, my thoughts turn to Gary Moore, or maybe Slash. SG? Well that’s Angus Young’s sound of course! :P

Or to simplify things, Fenders typically have that defined ‘single coil’ sound, and Gibsons typically have that raunchy ‘humbucker’ (OK, or P90) sound.

But what do G&L’s sound like? :?:

A quick browse of the G&L website shows a plethora of guitars with different body shapes, and most permutations of pickup configurations that people over the years have ‘modded’ those body shapes with, available off the peg. Which is great – I mean, if I wanted to only ever buy one make of guitar, G&L can fulfil any requirement I could have!

I guess companies like MusicMan and PRS have large ranges of various different sounding guitars too, so maybe ‘sonic signature’ isn’t as important as it was when there were fewer makes around. MM and PRS also have some famous endorsees….

Maybe now it comes down to which famous guitarists play a certain make. The G&L website lists lots of artists – I’ve heard of some of the bands (maybe lots of others are big in the USA, but unknown here?), but I haven’t heard of many of the guitarists. Maybe it always did come down to who played a certain make – even Hank Marvin chose a Strat (first one ever imported into the UK) because he thought, incorrectly, that James Burton played one!

Question: Do you think G&L should search out the next big potential ‘guitar gods’ and sign them up, or can you think of a better marketing strategy?

Non-G&L Topic of the day: Keeping fit! Many of us lead a more sedentary life than our grandparents lived. We need to do something to keep the ol’ ticker ticking over!
So what do you do to keep fit? I’m currently in the worst shape of my life, and it sucks! I deal with injured athletes all day – and quite a few people with bad backs and necks etc. (I’m a sports/remedial massage therapist).
For 30 years I was a serious martial artist, including time spent training full-time in China and Malaysia, boxing in Thailand and teaching. So I’m used to being in shape. These days I’m bent over a massage couch or sat at a computer writing sermons and services (I’m a lay preacher too).
I still do some Xingyiquan and swing the odd kettlebell to stop myself going rusty – I seize up if I don’t do anything. I love a bit of hill walking (as you might expect from a goat!), and I do a lot of work with pro boxers on the therapy side, so I still get to hit bags. But I know I’m getting older!

I know Louis likes his iron. What do others do?

Re: Wednesday 9th January 2013 – Lunch Report - Sonic Identi

Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:15 am

You truly earned your nickname with todays lunch Goat, that sounds truly awful :D

Goat wrote:Question: Do you think G&L should search out the next big potential ‘guitar gods’ and sign them up, or can you think of a better marketing strategy?

Absolutely not. Better strategy? None. Marketing is just a bunch of lies and spin.

I used to get all my physical activity through work. Walking around vineyards or up and down ladders all day kept me in shape. When I stopped the physical labour, started uni, moved in with the girlfriend AND quit smoking in the same year, I went up several trouser sizes :oops: I cant stand organized sports, and have neither the drive, money or inclination to go to a gym. I now try and work exercise into my daily routine by riding and walking to places I want/need to go to, its the only thing that works for me.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:20 am

No lunch today for me, I am going in for knee surgery to have it scoped and cleaned out.

So, to answer the fitness question, right now I am a fat slob, bad back, bad knee. Normally, I work out every day, play golf, tennis, cycle, etc, but this past year has been a struggle and I'm looking forward to moving forward after today! Golf and tennis awaits!

I don't think G&L should have the big names and pay them to play their guitars. A phenominal musician can play anything and should play what he feels is the best.

I have 4 "keeper guitars" right now and they give me the sounds I want, bluesboy, asat special, les paul, 335 style. Add a strat to that and I think you have all the styles you need. I had a great legacy, but let it go since I found I played it the least. Too "bland" as it were.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:14 am

Lunch:breakfast of champions,6 Marlboro lights & 3 urns of tea.PG tips of course,goat isn't the only good thing to come out of blighty! :lol:

Interesting subject matter mate, especially regarding putting a face to the name of sonic divinity.when someone mentions Gary Moore I think strat,as I first got into him circa corridors of power/victims of the future.so visions of greeny's salmon immediately spring to mind.
Yet another legend you mentioned being hank marvin perks my ear G & L way a bit.& that's the sound of their noiseless singles.
I've got a set of kinman MK II's in a custom Upfold,which I loved to bits when I was full time & am defineatly curious as to the sound of the G & L equivalent. Hank was still on Chris's books last I seen,not sure about now.
In terms of G & L endorsees,Mohammed could go to the mountain a bit there as well I think.Most pros are aware of G & L & the prestige associated with them.snagging the hellecasters though was a brilliant move IMO.not sure how Cantrell was bagged but again a wise ploy.hes still on the radar,& a brilliant player as well.
Currently in terms of keeping fit I too am a fat slob at present :silent: trained all my life til about 8 years ago though.sports,martial arts,iron etc. Looking to getting back into golf again down the track,few years away though.
notice Alf has made a reference to "keeper planks".cut from the same cloth this end too bud.much prefer 4-6 mint planks in a practical sense that cover the musical gamut im likely to play as opposed to 350 of which I'd only ever play 10.i hasten to add though I love drooling over collections!! :luv: plus I'm not exactly minted up like some the other guys here..

Yet another pearler ole son.more tea vicar!! :thumbup:

Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:28 am

I don't think G&L should be actively seeking "artists" to play their guitars. Money spent on that kind of stuff will only drive their prices up. I wish that they had a more extensive dealer network however.

Sonic signatures.... when I think Les Paul, I think Jimmy Page, when I think Tele , Long Cool Woman in a black Dress comes to mind. But if I am honest with myself most of the time I can't tell what guitar is being played. Dazed and Confused was played on an tele ( esquire ? ) and that sounds pretty heavy, dare I say Les Paulish. Unless the rigs are clean I find it hard to differentiate.

I walk and lift things all day at work. I should get a pedometer, I am curious to know how many steps I take in a week. I hit the Gym about 3 times a week, 20 to 30 mins of cardio then weights. I have weighed approx 183lbs for the last 15 years.

Lunch today is unknown.

P.S.
For Zapcos, Riesling is a white grape variety primarily associated with Germany. They have lower alcohol content then most other types of wines. They can be very sweet but the better examples are dryer. Very crisp and easy drinking.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:27 pm

But what do G&L’s sound like?

"G&L sounds like you"

You're welcome for the marketing campaign I'll expect my commission in the mail (and yes I will accept guitars as payment :evilgrin: )

Lunch today was leftover roast chicken/carrots/potato from last night with a spinach salad on the side (see meowmix, I told you I eat greens :lol: )

As for keeping fit, not so much in the past couple of years. A few years back I was doing multiple triathlons and long distance cycling events a year including the Ironman (140.6). I still try and do at least one tri a year, usually of the olympic distance. Last year was a wake up call to how out of shape I am, I finished, but close to 40 mins slower than past years :thumbdown:
Plan on doing another Ironman in 2015, my eating is on track at the moment, just need to work out a work out plan.

Have a good one!
-Dave

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:31 pm

glvourot wrote:
P.S.
For Zapcos, Riesling is a white grape variety primarily associated with Germany. They have lower alcohol content then most other types of wines. They can be very sweet but the better examples are dryer. Very crisp and easy drinking.

Ha! I know what Riesling is (even a moron like me knows that)! I just figured you more as a Syrah guy....
Just enjoy. That's the point I do believe. Just enjoy. - ed

Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:08 pm

Dave_P wrote:

"G&L sounds like you"

Have a good one!
-Dave

That about nails it! I think the most important thing is that G&L isn't trying to sound like a Fender or a Gibson. It is the best tool for creating your own unique sound.

Fitness for me (when i make time for it) is martial arts, cross country skiing in the winter, mountain biking in the summer, and avoiding "convenience" - walk or ride anywhere within 2 miles of my home, park at the back of a shopping lot, take the stairs instead of the elevator, etc. My upper body workout this winter has been hand splitting logs from a maple that fell in a storm summer before last. I have a gym membership and personal training paid for- yet I don't use it. Feels too much like a gilded hamster wheel to me.

Lunch, nothing yet! I'll likely just have a tide me over until dinner.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:46 pm

Hey Goat - Greetings from NZ!
NIce Reports so far ;)
Re Sonic identities - I'm fond of single coil sounds - tele's esp... James Burton, early Springsteen and of course Steve Cropper. Humbucker sound like mush to me tho Greenie's tone was pretty tasty.
My main ASAT sounds Fab but doesn't get near that twangy texture. I think a lot has to do with alnico pickups but I could be mistaken.
Big thumbs down on sponsoring artist's - let the musician do the talkin' I say. TOo much corporate b.s. at the moment for my tastes. LUckily there's less of that here tho I recently attented Coca Cola X-mas in the park... I just saw a concert listing in the States that read - Farmer Insurance Presents.... that's just sounds wrong...
I do yoga exercises daily and I like walking and going for swims. Only been out once as the weathers just finally getting nice here. I was keen on learning to surf til my girlfriend & I got pulled out in a rip... that cooled my jets abit but I've since learned how to deal with that so its still in the cards.
Hang Ten -
KF

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:16 pm

The Black Page wrote:Lunch:breakfast of champions,6 Marlboro lights & 3 urns of tea.PG tips of course,goat isn't the only good thing to come out of blighty! :lol:

Sweet tea and two ciggies per cup used to be my breakfast too. Man it was good!

Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:05 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:Sweet tea and two ciggies per cup used to be my breakfast too. Man it was good!

Lol mate. bit like the woody Allen quote "you can live to 100 as long as you can give up all the things that make you want to live to 100" :lol:

While we've crossed paths again brother hows tamworth looking for ya? You boys still got dates & rooms locked up?
Another thing thing being a fellow Aussie & more hep to G & L's..have you got any thoughts regarding the kinman noiseless singles in comparison to the G & L equivalent?
Thanks in advance blarg,cheers mate (_)]

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:39 pm

Goat,

Finally had some time to go through the Forum posts. Great Lunch Reports with some good and fresh questions! My lunch was a slice of pizza. Meeting aren't high in gastronomic and culinary value nor good for your health. Ugh! :cry:

JagInTheBag wrote:
Dave_P wrote:

"G&L sounds like you"

Have a good one!
-Dave

That about nails it! I think the most important thing is that G&L isn't trying to sound like a Fender or a Gibson. It is the best tool for creating your own unique sound.

G&L sounds like Leo to me ... They certainly don't sound like Gibson, but they very much want to sound like (Leo) Fender. Just not the Leo Fender of the '50. He had long since moved on and had another 30 years of thinking about pups and guitars and basses under his belt.

- Jos

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:48 pm

And let's not forget bridges! - ed

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:12 pm

The Black Page wrote:
blargfromouterspace wrote:Sweet tea and two ciggies per cup used to be my breakfast too. Man it was good!

Lol mate. bit like the woody Allen quote "you can live to 100 as long as you can give up all the things that make you want to live to 100" :lol:

While we've crossed paths again brother hows tamworth looking for ya? You boys still got dates & rooms locked up?
Another thing thing being a fellow Aussie & more hep to G & L's..have you got any thoughts regarding the kinman noiseless singles in comparison to the G & L equivalent?

Love Woody Allen! True genius.

Our Tamworth calendar is as full as we want it to be - I think we've got 8 shows over 6 days. I'll be lunch reporter while I'm there, and will do them like a tour blog. Should be fun. The room will be a friends living room floor, which is being provided free of charge so I can't complain. You can probably hear our drummer snoring from where you are :lolno:

I've not personally tried the Kinman pickups, but I think that Philby has. Pretty sure there are a couple of members here who have tried them with good results.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:43 pm

The Black Page wrote:

i don't think g&l has an equivalent to the kinmans. i take the z coils over kinman pups though. they have their own sound, not trying to duplicate a regular single coil strat pup sound.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:36 am

Louis C: i don't think g&l has an equivalent to the kinmans. i take the z coils over kinman pups though. they have their own sound, not trying to duplicate a regular single coil strat pup sound.

Very positively agree. The Kinmans' character varies quite a lot with string/pup distance, including action height of setup (all stackbuckers seem to do this), whereas the Z-coils are very even all over the fingerboard, even with quite a firm, clear action setup. Plus they just sound / feel extremely good; someone mentioned "piano tone", not sure where, but that's a pretty good insight. A really big, responsive Bosendorfer / Steinway kind of piano, at that. Great design.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:29 pm

NickHorne wrote:Louis C: i don't think g&l has an equivalent to the kinmans. i take the z coils over kinman pups though. they have their own sound, not trying to duplicate a regular single coil strat pup sound.

Very positively agree. The Kinmans' character varies quite a lot with string/pup distance, including action height of setup (all stackbuckers seem to do this), whereas the Z-coils are very even all over the fingerboard, even with quite a firm, clear action setup. Plus they just sound / feel extremely good; someone mentioned "piano tone", not sure where, but that's a pretty good insight. A really big, responsive Bosendorfer / Steinway kind of piano, at that. Great design.

Z pickups are tempting me.... :think:

Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:14 pm

Goat wrote:
NickHorne wrote:Louis C: i don't think g&l has an equivalent to the kinmans. i take the z coils over kinman pups though. they have their own sound, not trying to duplicate a regular single coil strat pup sound.

Z pickups are tempting me.... :think:

:D JOIN US... :D