Friday 1/4/13 - Anybody Home?

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:07 am

I figured I'd jump in today so we could have a Friday report.

Haven't gone to lunch yet but I am leaning heavily towards sushi today. I absolutely love the stuff, I didn't for a long time, and in fact don't really like cooked fish (other than tuna). My favorite roll ever was from a small place near me called "Uncle Sushi" it was a pink building attached to a carwash. It was called the White Dragon; spicy tuna roll, with tempura eel(unagi) on top then drizzled with a spicy sauce of some kind. Unfortunately, and somewhat unsurprisingly, they closed down due to 24 or so people getting sick all at once :shock: They did reopen but I've been hesitant to go back.

My wife says I'll never be happy with the gear I have and get's annoyed by the fact that I'm constantly selling things to buy other things. To me that is part of the fun, I like to try new things, tinker a bit, swap speakers, tubes, etc. Granted, I do hold on to things that I really love, like my asats, I don't think either of them are going anywhere, and that wasn't the case for a time. Lately my amps have been on the chopping block, just purchased that Vibrolux a few days ago and I still haven't put it through it's paces yet but it fits the bill for size/wattage as far as what I want/need right now. Jam session lined up this weekend, as long as my buddy doesn't cancel on me...which happens about 85% of the time, so I'll really get a sense of the amp then. Anywho...

Who else out there finds the chase as rewarding as the score?

In my lunch reports a few weeks ago I mentioned swapping pickups in my asat, that has been put on hold for now, I'm considering taking that money and putting into my lame/ non-existent pedal board. Right now I have a Flashback Delay, Green Screamer, TS7 (modded to 808 specs), DOD Compressor, Ibanez Phaser, and a Crybaby (that I don't really use). Also have a Two Timer on the way.

Any "must have" boxes I'm missing out on?

I'm planning on buying an Xotic EP Boost and this....

[youtube]efl-Jwz8lJ0[/youtube]

Hope you're all have a good new year so far,

Have a good weekend!

-Dave

Re: Friday 1/4/13 - Anybody Home?

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:16 am

Well Dave, since you posted the first LR in a few days the least I can do is post a reply. Lunch for me today is undecided, I was going to broil a couple steaks for dinner tonight so I'll steer clear of meat for lunch.

I am very fortunate to have an excellent Japanese restaurant about 5 minutes from my house . The owners are from Okinawa and everything I have had there has been excellent. I usually order for pick up as the place is always packed. Despite the wealth of "Sushi" places in town it is not so easy to find ones that are owned and operated by Japanese people.

I am quite content with the gear I own right now. My SC-2 is the go to , it really has quashed any heavy GAS for new guitars. My S-500 was my first G&L so that 's not going anywhere either. I think the catch is better than the chase, more time playing ! I've done some minor tweaking to my amp, tube swap, speaker swap. Put different tuners on my Gretsch, that is about it though. I built an overdrive pedal once too, that was fun.

The only pedal I have on my Radar is an SFT by Catilinbread. It's a bass pedal that sounds awesome with guitars too. I'm all about multipurpose. I bought an American P-bass a few weeks ago so I'm in the process of deciding what I need bass amp wise. I'm not in a huge rush though. Until then I have my ampkit.

Thanks for the LR ,

Happy New Year !

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:18 am

Ahhhh sushi! I love it but eat it very rarely. There are no good sushi places within miles of where I am. In fact there are no sushi places good or bad! Luckily there are some great fish & chip shops, which are far more 'Yorkshire' than sushi.

I used to live in Penang, where there was lots of great sushi. Penang is the most awesome food place on the planet! Indiginous Malay food, Chinese food from every part of China because of the influx on Chinese immigrants during the Cultural Revolution, Indian food from the descendants of guys who came to run the rubber plantations for the Brits and general immigration, Thai food because Thailand is just across the border, Indonesian food for the same reason, Vietnamese food because it's close by and many others.
If you are a food lover, especially of very hot food, I recommend Penang - I miss chilli for breakfast! :o

I'm not a constant gear-swapper, but I did sell a '08 USA Standard Strat recently, and have put the money towards the ASAT that should arrive in next 2 days.... excited!
I've a feeling that this time the score will be as good as the chase, but chasing is fab fun - I'm a confirmed ebay addict, just for the chase.

When I've heard the asat I may buy it a present of a pedal. That'll be another ebay chase to look forward to. Maybe a compressor...
I've never looked at an Octron - interesting, and doesn't look like you have anything similar Dave!

Well it's long past lunchtime here, and I was too busy to stop for lunch, so I'm very hungry now; time for those fish & chips, and luckily I live next door to a great chippy :mrgreen:

Happy New Year and a great weekend to y'all,
Goat

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:47 am

Howdy Dave,

Your suggestion of Sushi makes me hungry. One of Seattle's top sushi places is a couple of blocks from home: Toyoda Sushi. Always excellent stuff and many times we get some additional treats to try out. The only disappointment was the geoduck we once had, but that was entirely due to personal taste, not the quality of the food.

I haven't sold one of my guitars ever. The closest I came was my Gibson LP which I traded in for a PRS Artist II. But collecting ASATs and trying to get a complete collection, whatever that may exactly mean, has similarities with your quest for perfect gear. Some ASAT models are really hard to find and you have to keep your eyes constantly on auctions and listings. Of course there is still the remote chance that the one Lacewood Commemorative is listed right when your not around to keep track ;)
But I certainly enjoy the search. And when you finally find one it is a great feeling. I also enjoy taking the pictures and adding it to my web site.

On that note, I'm looking forward to Monday when the ASAT S-3 will come in.

- Jos

Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:02 pm

Dave_P wrote:

X2 dave.good fun both teasing & appeasing the gas monster.conversely though when he gets a hold & you dive in only to see a better buy not long after :?

Dave_P wrote: TS7 (modded to 808 specs),

:luv:

Dave_P wrote:and a Crybaby (that I don't really use)

What are ya doin man! Step on that sucker & give it some!! :thumbup:

Dave_P wrote:Any "must have" boxes I'm missing out on?

I used to love the old dimension C.some serious mojo for a stomp.

Good read dave.
cheers

Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:37 pm

Happy New Year ,
Well I have just come in from a 8 km run so all this talk about sushi is makin me hungry. Even if it is breakfast time in Australia.
The chase or the catch, interesting one that, the chase is where your character comes out . As I have got older I have realised it's all about patience. it certainly is satisfying when you get hold of something you treasure.So I'm still not sure what's best.
I am fortunate to have a huge guitar pedalboard and a cool Bass pedalboard. Ever since I got my Akai Deep Impact pedal for bass I'm not chasing pedals. The Klon Centaur satisfied my ultimate overdrive quest.
As for selling stuff .I never used too but I have recently to pay my divorce Lawyer.
The good news is if I see. A G&L I want I don't have to run it past anyone
Now just got to be patient and find myself the most beautiful woman in the World.
And of course a bevy of G&L's
Anthony

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:41 pm

No lunch today. I had plans to meet a friend at a Middle Eastern place, but work got too busy and I had to settle for having a can of diet soda at 3pm.

Dave_P wrote:My wife says I'll never be happy with the gear I have and get's annoyed by the fact that I'm constantly selling things to buy other things.

My wife has given up any hope of me selling off gear. I did move out an ASAT to make room for the El Toro a couple of months ago, and may try to move my ash F-100 soon to make room for another Warwick (fretted this time). I've also been mulling over the thought of trying to arrange a straight trade with one of my basses: my ultra-bling Gold Flake ASAT Bass for the same model but with a tinted finish and nicely figured wood.

Dave_P wrote:Who else out there finds the chase as rewarding as the score?

I love them both, but I get stuck in a cycle. The chase leads to a great score, but pretty quickly I start thinking that if I like the new guitar or bass so much I could find another one that takes it just a little bit farther. Then the chase starts all over again.

Dave_P wrote:Any "must have" boxes I'm missing out on?

My Moog obsession is almost as bad as my G&L compulsion. I have most of the Moogerfooger series and will probably trade my EHX Microsynth toward a MuRF (Multiple Resonance Filter Array) this weekend. If you like delays enough to have two of them, I'd suggest the Moogerfooger MF-104 series of analog delays. I have the discontinued 104Z model, which I prefer to the current version. It gives delay times up to a second, and has an on-board effects loop that lets you run the repeats through any other pedal without affecting the original signal. The current one is similar, but instead of an effects loop it contains a multi-waveform oscillator to modulate the repeats.

Ken

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:44 pm

Goat wrote:If you are a food lover, especially of very hot food, I recommend Penang - I miss chilli for breakfast! :o

I got to spend several days in Georgetown in the early 90s. I haven't made it back yet, but would really like to someday. Those couple of days introduced me to more new foods than any other time before or since. Satay, curries and Pad Thai come to mind.

Ken

Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:59 am

KenC wrote:I got to spend several days in Georgetown in the early 90s. I haven't made it back yet, but would really like to someday. Those couple of days introduced me to more new foods than any other time before or since. Satay, curries and Pad Thai come to mind.

Ken

Beef Rendang, Char Kway Teow, Mee Goreng and Laksa were among my favourites! :thumbup:

Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:22 am

Dave_P wrote:
Haven't gone to lunch yet but I am leaning heavily towards sushi today. I absolutely love the stuff, I didn't for a long time, and in fact don't really like cooked fish (other than tuna).

Raw fish? Yuck! :o Here in Missouri we only fix fish one way. We cover it in corn meal and deep fry it!

Dave_P wrote:

I do!

Dave_P wrote: Any "must have" boxes I'm missing out on?

You have some nice pedals! One of my favorite pedals is the Ibanez, FL9 Flanger. It's a great flanger and the original early 80's versions are still reasonably priced.

Dave_P wrote:
Hope you're all have a good new year so far,

So far it's been great!

Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:36 pm

Hey Dave. I'm really busy right now filling out medical forms for my parents, as the medical center in their retirement community has changed hands and that apparently means lots of paperwork. But if you're back and making the effort that you are, I can at least participate and say something stupid!

Sushi: I don't eat raw (animal) anything, but I do like sushi with cooked stuff like crab meat and eel. But is that really Sushi?

Regarding your music question, I used to love the chase a lot. However, with the responsibilities of kids and aging (and demented) parents, and with shipping charges doubling in the last few years, my priorities have changed. I'm lucky to have some solid time to enjoy what I have.

As far as pedals are concerned, I have a few and actually use fewer. There are a couple I really regret selling though: I miss my old DOD Bi-Fet pre-am (boost) thing. Step on it when you want to solo or otherwise really cut through, and it was great. I also had an old Ibanez AD-80 analog delay (with the very hard to find AC adapter!) that I still kick myself for letting it go. It's in England someplace now, with a vey well-known musician, so it's got a real life now at least. That is some consolation.

What was I saying? Oh, best to you and yours in the New Year. You Rock, Dave. - ed

Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:40 pm

Fuzz! These ones are my fave
+1 on Malaysian food being one of the worlds best. If I were on death row, curry laksa would be my last meal

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:53 pm

Dave, I am a couple of days late here. I never got into Sushi and am not into raw fish other than if you are a raw fish guy, you gotta go for pickled herring. That is tasty.

Dave, this gear in and out the door like a revolving door has happened to me over the years. I am now at a point where I don't want to sell anything that I have. It is all prime as far as I am concerned. Ginny has not accused me of not being happy with what I have but has told me that I always want more. The granddaughters asked me tonight if I was keeping the bass I got for christmas (early December) and I said that i am not selling anything that I have. Ginny responded by saying "great, now you won't need anymore" The granddaughters laughed and said I now have to add on to the group. After all, they are right! I am also set for amps and should get rid of a couple of bass amps sitting around. I don't need more than 1 spare.

I am not into pedals very much so I have no recommendations for what you might need next, but I will tell you, there is no such thing as too many guitars!-- Darwin

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:38 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:

Fuzz! These ones are my fave
+1 on Malaysian food being one of the worlds best. If I were on death row, curry laksa would be my last meal

If I was on Death Row, my last meal would be a young lassie! - ed

Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:34 pm

zapcosongs wrote:
If I was on Death Row, my last meal would be a young lassie! - ed

By a "young lassie" do you mean a Collie puppy dog?