Xmas lunch/dinner highlights

Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:22 pm

Hope everyone has had/is having a great xmas!

What were the highlights of your lunch/dinner?
We were at the girlfriends brothers place for a spit roast - beef, lamb and pork - cooked slowly over charcoals. I'm not usually the biggest fan of roast pork, but this was crazy good. It was a pork loin stuffed with sage and other stuff, absolutely delicious. Then trifle and proper home-made chocolate mousse :luv:

Anybody get a G&L for xmas?
I didn't, but did get a good book on fermenting foods. Firs thing I'm going to try is an African sorghum beer. I reckon it'll be horrible, but I've always been intrigued by it - it comes in milk-cartons!

Re: Xmas lunch/dinner highlights

Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:55 pm

Jamie, this could have been a lunch report! I just posted one. Our dinner was great and the highlight was the grandkids as usual. We had a traditional Turkey dinner with the best gravy that Ginny has ever made for the potatoes and dressing. I also had that for breakfast this morning and still couldn't eat a meal if I had to. Jamie, I'll go for an African beer!

I made a Tom & Jerry about an hour ago, had a call from my friend Scott Wolter, the Runestone Cowboy and that T&J slid down like water. I wasn't even paying attention. Scott has a new series "America Unearthed " on the H2 History Chanel which premiered on Friday night so we were talking about that. I had to make another T&J so we will see where this goes but I expect it may go down.

No new G&L but Ginny gave me Carvin 5 string KOA bass for Christmas and a sweet one it is. I now have the L-2500 and the Carvin, so if I can't get the job done, there is no hope. Hope you had a good one Jamie! You are a day ahead of us. Does that work for payday too???- Darwin

Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:12 pm

Thanks for stepping in! Turkey and good wine were a high note for me this time around. No G&L's today, but I predict one in the near future. Very near... BTW, that looks like some fermented goodness!

Cheers,

Will

Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:49 pm

Jamie,

Dinner was baked ravioli. We usually do some sort of roast (lamb is my preference), but this was a year for mixing things up a bit. We did stick with our family tradition of white chocolate bread pudding for dessert.

No G&Ls for me today, but I did get a Warwick Corvette fretless that's been on layaway since late summer. This one is from early in 2000, which was a transitional year. The body and neck both appear to be bubinga, with an ebony board. The resonance, growl and sustain from this bass are incredible.

I've heard from my in-laws that sorghum beer was popular with old-timers in Maine. I never came across it when I lived there, but I understand it tastes like a low quality wheat beer. I look forward to hearing how yours turns out.

Ken

Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:18 am

festivus dinner was 2 days ago, and it's always fun to air the grievances and tell everyone how they disappointed you during the past year. the unadorned festivus pole can be put to good use as well.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:53 am

we had the traditional Xmas dinner, turkey with all the fixings, also a small roast.

No offense to the traditional dinner but quite frankly, I'm sick of it, ha ha. I eat way too much and every year its the same.

I voted next year to do a number of tapas or appetizers and just keep going with those all night. Maybe bbq some specialty burgers.

A couple of years ago I did a deep fried turkey and it was wonderful, best ever, but my wife vetoed it due to the mess and cleanup and the waste of the oil, bummer......

Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:02 am

[quote="blargfromouterspace"]Hope everyone has had/is having a great xmas![quote]
Yup, its been awesome on many levels. Not the least being that my father in law has been unwell and undergoing some challenging treatments most of the year so having the family together has been a major plus.

What were the highlights of your lunch/dinner? Following the year that has been, my wife's sister and family have been over from Queensland and its the first time our kids and their cousins have all been together in 15 years ... and yet to see them interacting on Christmas day you'd have thought they'd never been apart.

Anybody get a G&L for xmas? Nope. The only music related gift I received this year was a copy of an autobiographical book by an old friend John Hood. John actually gave me a copy a few months back when it was first printed, but this copy is pretty special as my wife arranged with another friend and former band mate of John's to have the book signed not only by John but also by all of the surviving members of four of John's bands from the '70s .... the Jellyroll Bakers, Sid Rumpo, Bitch and The Elk's. Probably doesn't mean much to anyone who wasn't part of or around the Western Australian live music scene in that era but these quys were the local pioneers of blues and blues/rock . Needless to say this little book has become one of my most prized possessions.

cheers and best wishes to all, Robbie