Tuesday 12/18 Lunch

Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:34 am

Hello again! Thanks for your participation yesterday, it's Tuesday and I've started the day off poorly. Late to work, Christmas cookies for breakfast.

I'll be heading out to lunch with my sister in a bit with a planned stop at the post office to mail some gifts. Not sure where for lunch yet, but I'll check in later with a follow up.

G&L Topic: NENA finish, anyone on here have one yet? I really like the look of the honey ale finish and the black ice for that matter. I'm curious if this produces a more resonant instrument, will it wear like nitro or is it as durable as poly? (Sorry if this has already been covered and I missed it)

Every once in a while guitar center surprises me.When I get GAS I eventually do a national search on their site for G&L, and a few times I have come across some great deals. I feel like their lack of knowledge on the brand sometimes works to our advantage. Don't get me wrong, there are some terribly overpriced used guitars on there and I always prefer dealing with local shops, but I came across what was clearly an early (86-87) maple bodied ASAT for $650 just a couple of days ago, sadly it was gone today when I went looking again. But there are actually a few SC3's, a couple of Nighthawks and a couple early basses on there in a similar price range ($600-800). If you're after Leo era stuff it's not a bad place to look, like I said, sometimes they'll surprise you.

Picture of the Day!
Darwin was talking about needing a new computer yesterday and it reminded me of this pick a took a couple weeks ago

Moving some boxes out of my attic and I came across the box from my first real computer(we only had word processors before this) The computer didn't last but the box did :lol:

On a side note, anyone like the Red Green Show? One of my all time favorite shows
[youtube]SNgS4yjVFQU[/youtube]

There's only two things that excite a man, expensive toys and real expensive toys. - Red Green

Have a good one!
-Dave

Re: Tuesday 12/18 Lunch

Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:53 am

Hey Dave,
the ASAT sounds like the one that got away. Cookies for breaky is an interesting start. I always keep yoghurt in the fridge for those morning were there is no time. In regards to your last statement. And a beautiful woman.
Regards
Anthony

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:23 pm

LeoF The Champion wrote:Hey Dave,
the ASAT sounds like the one that got away. Cookies for breaky is an interesting start. I always keep yoghurt in the fridge for those morning were there is no time. In regards to your last statement. And a beautiful woman.
Regards
Anthony

i think your statement is redundant. a beautiful woman simply falls under real expensive toys. :mrgreen:

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:36 pm

the ASAT sounds like the one that got away.

I had an early ASAT before that I couldn't bond with, you never know though.

a beautiful woman simply falls under real expensive toys.

Exactly! :lol:

Lunch Update:
Ended up at a local deli for lunch, first time I've tried the place, it was packed the last time I went by it so I thought they must be good. Had a pastami/cornbeef with coleslaw and russian dressing on rye bread. Not something I would normally order but I was feeling adventurous I guess. Very good but too much going on, wouldn't order it again, but will give the place another try.

-Dave

Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:48 pm

I hope your trip to the post office was better than mine - there was a queue out the door when I went yesterday :x

Its truly hard to believe how far computers have come in such a short period of time. Amazing.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:19 pm

Latest and greatest

Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:52 pm

I hear windows 8 is hideous. Pay extra for Windows 7, if you can.

I build my own PCs. Not difficult and can be done on the cheap. Of course I am still using desktop.
The Laptops don't excite me.

Today I saw The Hobbit. This place reminds me of it. Who here eats anything green? lol. As far as I can tell, no one.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:03 pm

Dave, I finally got my Pro Tools running today. I used to build my own PC's but do not any more. It is cheaper to buy, but Macs are not cheap.

My head has been inside this computer today and I do not even remember what I had for lunch!

NEMA finish. My Equatorial Mahogany is probably close as far as thickness and I did not like it the first time I looked at it. It took about 10 minutes before I really warmed up to it and now I love it. There is no waxing and the grain is very pronounced to the feel. I can only imagine what it would look like if it were gloss poly. I believe it may be more resonant due to the thin finish but how can it be proven. It is a keeper and a couple of weeks ago I picked up a Koa with Tung Oil finish. I am kind of hooked on these finishes now, at least they are different. I am enjoying the reports this week! By the way, I started in the computer business when they were still using vacuum tubes. The first solid state calculator I bought had only six digit positions. -- Darwin

Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:18 pm

darwin, you must try a birchwood- casey tru-oil finish on a guitar and a neck. absolutely the best feel i have run across.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:38 pm

G&Ls at GC:

I've picked up quite a few Leo-era instruments there. They do overprice the newer ones, but there can be some real bargains. I must have missed the $650 ASAT, but I did restrain myself from an '86 or '87 ASAT in sunburst over flamed maple for $750. If I hadn't just brought in the El Toro (and sold an '88 ASAT in the process), I would have gone for that one.

The missed opportunity that reignited my G&L GAS a couple of years ago was an original SC-2 that I missed seeing in the local store. I asked the sales clerk if they had any G&Ls, and he said the SC-2 had just sold for $350.

Dave_P wrote:On a side note, anyone like the Red Green Show?

(Bowing my head for the Man's Prayer): "I am a man. But I can change. If I have to. I guess."

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati!

That could also be a strategy for when a spouse notices an extra guitar case in the house...

Ken

Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:54 pm

Hey Dave,

Funny one of your subjects is computers. This evening, I picked up my new Apple MacBook Pro with a 2.6GHz (3.3GHz boosted) iCore7 processor, 16GB of RAM, 512GB of Flash memory from the Apple Store. And no moving parts (except for the lid with 15" Retina display and maybe a fan that I haven't heard yet). Love the machine but I'm still in the process of setting her up.

Right now she is my expensive toy and she needs some attention ;) So talk to you later.

- Jos