What do you want to see on the next NENA models?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:53 am

Sunburst
9%
Solid colour
9%
Transparent colour
9%
Exotic body wood
32%
Roasted maple neck
23%
Tassles
18%

Total votes : 22

Tuesday the 27th of November

Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:53 am

Thanks to anyone who read, voted in the poll or responded yesterday :thumbup:

Tonights dinner was a coconut heavy Malaysian style potato, eggplant and tofu curry served with paratha (flaky flat bread), not rice. Delicious. One of my girlfriends friends was supposed to join us but she doesn't eat curry - her loss 8-)

We had a great thunderstorm last night, it kept us awake it was so loud. A house in the next suburb over from us was severely damaged by a lightning strike, so it was very close to us. I love the cracking sound of thunder, its like a huge tree being torn in two. We were woken up by another thunderstorm this morning too! Hope you guys are keeping warm, I don't think I'd like your harsh winters at all.

Gear Lust
I saw today that MI Audio will be releasing four new amps next year. I’m pretty excited about this.
ImageImage

Their stuff is excellent and I’ve always wanted to have one of their amps, but they’re all a tad too busy for my tastes – too many channels and switches and tailored more towards the heavy metal crowd. These new ones are (relatively at least), straightforward looking things and I suspect that two of them - the Apache and the Aquarius (I don't like that name at all, it reminds me of Hair, the musical :confused0077: ) - are not designed exclusively for metal/heavy rock. Its gonna be hard to choose how to spend my money next year! Then there’s the NENA stuff tempting me too…

What are you lusting after this week?

I look forward to your responses!

Re: Tuesday the 27th of November

Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:23 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:What are you lusting after this week?

I look forward to your responses!

The Aquarius looks like it might be a GT Trio inspired unit, what's the crystal lattice supposed to bring to the table?

I've got my eye on a Dynacord Twen (it's the red one in germany on ebay) .It doesn't have the original speaker, aparently it came with an Isophon. I have seen Isophon elecrostatic tweets go for over a grand for two. Makes me wonder what kind of transducer was in there to begin with.
If you search ebay's completed listing there are a couple Dynacord tube amps that went for very reasonable amounts....I would have figured more and might have bid if I knew that the market was soft for them presently.
They have got to be some of the coolest looking amps...and that they sound stellar just gets my GAS going.

I have one with 2-8" speakers and it really sings. Even with a bass at a med bedroom level it sounds so woodsy and round.

We used it for recording harmonica and it nails that old blues harp sound with slightly distorted and throaty mids.

No distorted signal with the bass I used. ( A cheeeep hofner copy from japan- an "Ideal" ). I was going to sell/give someone the bass, but now I think I need to keep it . The low powered pups on it with the Twen are a magic combo for my ears and soul.

I saw a Jansen head and cab on ebay here in the states, first time Ive seen one somewhat close-by..I would have figured they were selling a Jensen and made a typo if it wasn't for the good edumacation I get here.
It needs a little work. (clean the pots , maybe replace a couple, and who really knows what else until you get in there)
Someone might get a deal , especially if they can buy it locally. (a day to go, no bids, .99 cents starting bid, no reserve).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271108567489?ss ... 1436.l2649

I scored the most beautiful Aria pro ll '335' style tobacco burst on ebay a few weeks back. I'm still flabbergasted on the deal I got and how well she plays after a few days on my bench.

wanna see? : )

Elwood

Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:53 am

No idea about the Crystal Lattice - sure is an unusual name! The Dynacord looks cool!

I'd buy the Jansen, Elwood. I've not tried one, but it doesn't sound like there's anything seriously wrong with it and for 99c you can't go wrong if its nearby. I'd imagine its based on a Twin, and somewhat similar to my Eminar - the chassis looks very similar. Who knows, could even be some valuable old speakers in there. Plus all those tubes would be worth at least $100.

And yes, I wanna see!

Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:12 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:No idea about the Crystal Lattice - sure is an unusual name! The Dynacord looks cool!

I'd buy the Jansen, Elwood. I've not tried one, but it doesn't sound like there's anything seriously wrong with it and for 99c you can't go wrong if its nearby. I'd imagine its based on a Twin, and somewhat similar to my Eminar - the chassis looks very similar. Who knows, could even be some valuable old speakers in there. Plus all those tubes would be worth at least $100.

And yes, I wanna see!
I'm not near the Jansen...I will ask to see some pics of the inside...It might be worth shipping the head. I'll ask about the speakers while I'm at it.

I'll take some pics today of the Aria ll ...so it wpn't be 'till tonight ( PST) before I can get them up.

Stay safe, thunder and lightning is cool until you feel like a target (drop those golf clubs ASAP )

Elwood

Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:48 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:
We had a great thunderstorm last night, it kept us awake it was so loud. A house in the next suburb over from us was severely damaged by a lightning strike, so it was very close to us. I love the cracking sound of thunder, its like a huge tree being torn in two. We were woken up by another thunderstorm this morning too! Hope you guys are keeping warm, I don't think I'd like your harsh winters at all.

My house has been hit by lightening twice! It's not a fun experience. The last time was about 20 years ago. It hit the TV antenna and fried the VCR & TV. It went through the TV and fried just about everything in the house that was plugged in. Thankfully, I was home at the time or the house would have burned down. The VCR was the first thing in line from the antenna and it caught on fire. It was sitting on top of the TV with flames coming out of the back of it! ! ! I love winter! It's 8 degrees Fahrenheit here this morning in Northwest Missouri.

blargfromouterspace wrote:
Gear Lust
What are you lusting after this week?

For some reason I've been wanting a V shaped guitar. I've been wanting one for a few years. I want either a Dean, V or a Hamer Vector. There is a Dean, V on Ebay that I like a lot. I also want a PRS, McCarty with a rosewood neck. My full time lust is any interesting G&L oddity!

Sprinter 92

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:15 am

From my experience. The only way you will get that special amp the way you want is to build it yourself.
http://www.londonpower.com was my answer.

There is a positive side and a negative side to building your own. The list of negatives can be long, but the positive is getting to know the inside and out of the amplifier. Most of all, having the amp run the way you want it to.

Channel switching is a pain. I have mine working, but it still needs one more modification. It was like I had to go to class and learn about J-Fets. Or how about "negative rail". It took me a loong time to finally understand that concept, most people in the EE world could not explain it to me clearly to where I can understand. Typical.

I agree my amps are built for home, not the road and it has insane number of buttons and knobs. But I get what they do. None of this "depth" or "dual Master Volume". Instead it is, pre inverter splitter master volume. I am debating if I want to put the Presence control on the amp. There is little change with that control, it seems easier to hard wire it fully on and not have a control for it. I don't think people use that very much. It doesn't have a wide range of tone difference.

Currently in my build, I am stuck on a ground loop issue. Or at least I think that is the problem.

I used to live in Illinois and I know about harsh weather. Rather die than move back. 70's last weekend, took the Russian lady kayaking.

Took a look at the MI amps. Not that expensive. I spent more than that on the pre-amp alone. Of course I fried a bunch of things and had to re-order. MI 4 channel of heavy metal. 1- OverDrive, 2- Over-overdrive, 3-massive overdrive, 4 -fivestageoverdrive. lol. How many heavy metal channels do you really need?

Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:07 pm

The "Crystal Lattice" looks interesting. However, I'm a fan of how Soldano's work w/ MFD's... BTW, I saw pictures of that red beach out your way. A bacteria bloom or doom...

Cheers,

Will

Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:08 pm

i just want the nena to be available as a regular finish option. i think g&l is idiotic if they don't make that happen. having an option that doesn't feel like the thick poly is too important. make it available only on ash if that's what it works on.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:32 pm

Jamie, no thunderstorms here. We finally made it above freezing today. Lightning strikes can cause unbelievable electrical damage to a house and ruin the wiring in addition to everything that is hooked up.

Had a bowl of chicken noodle for lunch today. You had a tasty dinner last night.

I am not lusting for anything in particular but wouldn't mind another L-2500 for backup. I would probably try an M if I picked one up.

Nice tube amps you talked about today. Is it a coincidence that when using my Custom 15 tonight it started popping? I had to replace the preamp tube on the reverb channel. It is now sweet again. I recently replaced the power tubes with a matched set and it is cooking like it should. I do not build amps as I have never had a reason to, but can do all the service on my own. I've built a few PCs but it is not worth it for the price you can buy them for. Great LR's and wish we had more participation. A lot more votes in the poll than posts.

The poll results yesterday were interesting. Almost no one is offended by good looking ladies, in fact, "Hell No" was the big winner. Must be winter.
-- Darwin

Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:10 pm

Sprinter 92 wrote:My house has been hit by lightening twice! It's not a fun experience.

I have a friend who has been struck twice. He used to work as a botanist, and spent a lot of time cataloging plants out in open fields. Both strikes were while he was at work. He lost quite a few teeth, but otherwise seems to have no lasting effects. After the second strike he took up a new (100% indoor) line of work.

blargfromouterspace wrote:What are you lusting after this week?

Somehow I've managed to avoid amp lust. I do most of my guitar playing at low volumes, so the fine differences are lost on me. I would love to have an Ampeg SVT for the basses, but an 8x10 cabinet that weighs well over 100 pounds just isn't practical for at-home playing, and the upright bass already takes up enough space. My long-term amp GAS is for an Ampeg B-15, like James Jamerson used on the old Motown classics. It's heavy enough that shipping wouldn't be feasible, and I have yet to see one locally. Whenever one shows up I will jump on it.

I had been GASsing really badly for a PRS bass a couple of weeks ago, but I would need to clear out my John Jorgenson Sig to fund it. I needed to move one of my ASATs first to make room for the El Toro I bought at that same time, and eventually the PRS GAS subsided. If stars line up again and there's interest in the JJ Sig while the right PRS is available, I would probably pull the trigger. Otherwise, I'm relatively free of GAS for the moment. Well, maybe a Moog Minitaur or MURF could get me wound up...

Ken

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:06 pm

I would like one or all of the following
Martin Electro Acoustic
Collings Electro Acoustic
Black face Fender Princeton Reverb
Anthony

Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:36 pm

Sprinter - You're an unlucky guy! I quite like the Flying V. Have you seen the Grace Potter model? Looks great!
ImageImage

Meow - I find that the presence knob on my amp stays in one position. It adds a bit of sparkle, but I don't adjust it a lot. My amp has a depth switch, which has actually come in handy on occasion. At a show we did recently the stage seemed to somehow rob a lot of low end - I noticed this in soundcheck, and so did the other guitarist! Good luck debugging that amp.

Will - There's a 50W, 4x10" Soldano Reverb-o-sonic for sale here locally that looks awesome. If I had the money I'd be seriously tempted. The red sea was weird!

Louis - For the time being, I like that G&L are offering the NENA finishes as special builds. I do agree that making it a standard option could be good.

Darwin - Glad to hear it was an easy fix. My amp went bad this past weekend too. It was one of the pots, which I thought I fixed the last time I had the same problem. The back of the treble pot came loose, no doubt when I chucked my reasonable heavy gig bag on top of the amp. I replaced the pot this time, now she's good as new. Nothing like an easily diagnosed, easy fix
I'm pleased with the outcome of the poll too - strangely todays poll shows that there are a few of us who would like to see tassles on the next NENA models :D

Ken - An 8x10 is never too much :mrgreen:

Anthony - My old man has a Martin acoustic with two different mics in it. It sounds great, and didn't cost all that much now that the $AU is so strong. Go for it!

Thanks for the responses fellas :thumbup: